Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited September 2018

Thanks Stezza. I've used that before. Is this where you untick it?

It didn't change anything.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 9.38.58 PM.png
    1256 x 692 - 219K
    Post edited by BrianP21361 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

yes.. that's it

mmmm.... 

next I'd check the shaders in the shader room to see if they loaded up... 

I don't have that product, though I nearly got it several times... so I'm just guessing the possibilities. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited September 2018

I have that product.  Same problem.  Can confirm that it is a mesh issue, not a shader issue.  It is modeled with those bands.  Here is a screenshot of the sub in the vertex modeling room.  I've highlighted a few of the polygons from two of the forward bands.  

Have to think about ways to address.  Maybe some sort of smoothing morph?  Not sure.  Putting my thinking cap on.

aa01 mesh of sub has bands.JPG
    1769 x 776 - 179K
    Post edited by Diomede on

hard to tell from the SS but what happens when you apply smoothing at value 1?

I may buy it just to experiment on... devil

Yes.  Smoothing helps a lot.

BrianP21361 - this is what I did as per Stezza.

- loaded the 3delight vesion of the sub.  It loads within a group called SUB Submarine 3Delight, and the subgroup is called submarine.

- selected the submarine subgroup

- clicked the wrench to enter the vertex modeling room

- selected a polygon (any will do) on the side of the submarine of one of the funky bands

- checked the spot to apply smoothing (I set it to 1, but you can experiment if desired).

Definite improvement

---

For grins, I also tried  creating a morph target and using the displacement brush with the setting on "smooth."  Acceptable but you are better off checking the smoothing option in the modeling roon.

aa02.JPG
    1907 x 986 - 201K

great work yes

did it change how it renders out?

ie.. is it more like it is supposed to be?

edited September 2018

test render - one smoothed and one not - a test if it is improved is if folks can tell which is smoothed.

bb01 rnder comparison.jpg
    800 x 600 - 24K
    Post edited by Diomede on

hope that helps out BrianP21361 

great work @diomede .. I shall save my pennies for another rainy day yes

the left one?  smiley

• Thanks Diomede and Stezza. This is very helpful. It does seem to be something with the smoothing. I tried what Diomede suggested and it fixes the weird shadow bonds around the seems. Unfortunately, it's distorting the textures at the seems. You can barely see it in Diomeded's image, but it's clear in the closup attached. This one may be hopeless and I may have to resort to rendering the sub in Studio and compositing it into my Carrara scene. Yuck!

Smooth 1.png
    1000 x 750 - 321K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

huhh thats a new compatibility issue ... does it use those pesky ds geoshells?

• Mistara,

How can I tell?

• Converting to an obj in Studio and then importing to Carrara fixed all the seams except the last one. I'm rendering a head on shot and this should work for now, but I'd like to figure it out.

Submarine Obj.png
    1500 x 1125 - 365K

Converting to an obj in Studio and then importing to Carrara fixed all the seams except the last one. I'm rendering a head on shot and this should work for now, but I'd like to figure it out.

Glad you got it fixed for this project.  Guess I really don't know how common this problem is because it might not show up for many camera angles.

• https://www.daz3d.com/the-lilithai-strigoia-accessories-chapter-2

not found a workaround yet

pose controls dont work in Carrara

works in DAZ studio but has issues with feathers moving out of place

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,713
    th3Digit said:

https://www.daz3d.com/the-lilithai-strigoia-accessories-chapter-2

Hello Wendy, got that one in my runtime, will have a sticky-beak at it this weekend, don't know if I will have more success than you.

• Bunyip02 said:
    th3Digit said:

Hello Wendy, got that one in my runtime, will have a sticky-beak at it this weekend, don't know if I will have more success than you.

tried saving as duf, converting to weightmapping both  just threw errors in Carrara

and nothing I did in Poser helped either

edited September 2018
    th3Digit said:

Hello Wendy, I exported the wings and feathers from DAZ Studio as a CR2 file, then opened those CR2 files in Carrara, the feathers in the wings moved okay, due to a lack of movement possabilities in the Wingfeathers 2 I found the movement somewhat limited. Don't know if this will solve the problem you had, but hope it works for you.

Lilithai.png
    2274 x 1042 - 572K
    Lilithai 1b.png
    2272 x 1037 - 816K
    Lilithai 2.png
    3840 x 1080 - 1M
    Lilithai 3.png
    1196 x 897 - 1M
    Lilithai 1c.png
    2265 x 1042 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • I can manually pose the individual parts, it's the preconfigured sliders on the figures I cannot get working 

and I did too try creating new cr2's in both DAZ studio and Poser

the DAZ studio one threw up an error for me in Carrara and would not load at all.

I might try DS3 later.

edited September 2018
    th3Digit said:

I can manually pose the individual parts, it's the preconfigured sliders on the figures I cannot get working 

the DAZ studio one threw up an error for me in Carrara and would not load at all.

I might try DS3 later.

Hello Wendy, I just tried the exported CR2 files, the individual feathers are moving, and if you type in 5 instead of the slder 1 it allows more movement. The fold wings sliders are however refusing to work.

Have you tried the obj export method as advised by Stezza ? Will give it a go tomorrow, if I have any luck I will let you know.

EDIT: Just did more testing. The blades on the wings are moving. The feathers on the 01a - Wingfeathers 1 & 01a - Wingfeathers 2 are not responding.

th3Digit said:

I can manually pose the individual parts, it's the preconfigured sliders on the figures I cannot get working 

I might try DS3 later.

I did not get an error with my CR2 export files, am running DAZ Studio 4.10.0.123

edited September 2018
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the suggestions, th3Digit, Bunyip, Stezza, and Mistara.  Note that I don't really need this for a project, I was just relaxing with a silly doodle.  But for completeness, thought the following might be interesting for identifying the some of the issues.  Don't waste your time on it just to help me, but you may be interested in the issues in general.

As per suggestions, I loaded the Girl 6 in the plugin, Daz Studio.  I conformed the Capricornia scifi outfit.  I saved Girl 6 and the outfit out as a scene subset.  In Carrara, I tried loading the scene subset.  I got a whole string of dsf errors about not finding morphs.  A figure with clothes loaded anyway.  A second warning displayed (nil pointer).  However, the figure did not appear to have Girl 6 morphs applied even though the Girl 6 morph dials can be seen to be set to 1.  As a check, I started a new scene and loaded The Girl 6 directly from my content folder.  Loaded fine.  Basicwear clothes loaded and conformed fine to The Girl 6.

Workaround using Stezza's method. Part 1

NOTE:- If anyone has a more simple or improved method please let us know !!!!!

Some clothing when loaded give an error message. I found I could load the problem file, but when I went to fit to a figure instead of None the error message would come up.

Step 1 - Open your base figure that you are trying to fit the problem clothing to in DAZ Studio

Step 2a - Load the problem clothing onto the figure

Step 2b - Unparent the clothing item from the base figure

Step 3 - In the scene folder, click on the "eye" symbol to turn off the base figure and any other clothing you may have on the figure

Step 4 - Choose the problem clothing by clicking on it in the Scene folder

Step 5 - Click on File tab up the top LHS of the page, and go to Export

Step 6 - Go to Save as Type and choose Wavefront Object (obj), enter a file name

Capricornia 2.png
    2424 x 1034 - 748K
    Capricornia 2b.png
    2428 x 1042 - 608K
    Capricornia 3.png
    2430 x 1040 - 623K
    Capricornia 4.png
    2426 x 1038 - 542K
    Capricornia 1b.png
    2771 x 1042 - 487K
  • or you can under edit, figure, rigging

convert to prop

then use the transfer utility 

edited September 2018

Workaround using Stezza's method. Part 2

Step 7 - In the pop-up box make sure scale is 100%

Step 8 - Click on Accept

Step 9 - Now to re-import your obj file, click on File tab up the top and click on Import

Step 10 - In the new pop-up box, again check that scale is 100%

Step 11 - In the Scene folder, click on your just imported obj to select it

Step 12 - Click on the Edit tab, then go down to Object, then across to Transfer Utility

Steps 13 & 14 - In the Transfer Utility pop-up box, you need to select the base figure that you are transferring your morphs/skeleton from, in this case it's G2F

Capricornia 5.png
    2428 x 1040 - 658K
    Capricornia 6.png
    2428 x 1037 - 618K
    Capricornia 7.png
    2426 x 1035 - 595K
    Capricornia 8.png
    2424 x 1035 - 583K
    Capricornia 9.png
    2428 x 1033 - 600K
    th3Digit said:

or you can under edit, figure, rigging

convert to prop

then use the transfer utility 

Hello Wendy, there is often more than one way to do this stuff, just doing a step-by-step process for those not familiar with DAZ Studio

edited September 2018

Workaround using Stezza's method. Part 3

Steps 15 & 16 - Now you need to choose the item that you have imported, click on the Target icon, then the item you have imported

Step 17 - choose a projection Template

Step 18 - in this case it's a shirt

Step 19 - while you're at it have a sticky beak in this button, I left it at the defaults

Step 20 - click accept when done

Step 21 - Now to add the textures - Go to your Surfaces tab, click on Editor.

Step 22 - Choose your lighting type

Step 23 - Click on the down arrow head in Diffuse Colour to bring up texture options

Step 24 - Click on the corresponding texture file for the coloured texture of the clothing item

Step 25 - Click on the down arrow head in Ambient Colour to bring up texture options

Step 26 - Click on the corresponding texture file for the "S" titled texture of the clothing item (or equivalent file)

Step 27 - Click on the down arrow head in Bump Strength to bring up texture options

Step 28 - Click on the corresponding texture file for the "B" titled texture of the clothing item (or equivalent file)

Capricornia 10.png
    2428 x 1044 - 601K
    Capricornia 11.png
    2428 x 1042 - 607K
    Capricornia 12.png
    2856 x 1037 - 708K
    Capricornia 13.png
    2852 x 1037 - 716K
    Capricornia 14.png
    2856 x 1037 - 718K
    edited September 2018

Workaround using Stezza's method. Part 4

Step 29 - Now to save your work, click on File, SaveAs, Support Asset, Figure/Prop Assets

Step 30 - Save as a name you will recognise later on

Step 31 - Choose a location to save your work in, then add the Vendor, and Product name if you choose to

Step 32 - Click on accept when done

Step 33 - Back to good old Carrara, import the saved clothing onto your base figure, fit to the base figure, then adjust the clothing morphs if required to fix poke-through

Have fun !!!!!

Capricornia 15.png
    2854 x 1036 - 659K
    Capricornia 16.png
    2854 x 1042 - 604K
    Capricornia 17.png
    2854 x 1040 - 705K
    Capricornia 18.png
    2905 x 1037 - 497K
    Capricornia 19.png
    3691 x 1044 - 585K

@Bunip02 - thank you so much for the explanation.  Very clear.  yesyes

Diomede said:

@Bunip02 - thank you so much for the explanation.  Very clear.  yesyes

Thanks Diomede, with a bit of luck will be doing a few more tutes and product updates in-between and my projects and real world stuff.

@Mistara

what needs to be deleted from the duf file to stop it crashing Carrara?

the 3DU bugs have the G8 bug!

edited October 2018

Ok... got the bugs working great...

open the plugin DS and load up a bug... delete the metatarsal bones on the L/R foot and resave... open up in Carrara it won't crash on you and away you go..

bugsfix.jpg
    1206 x 908 - 193K
    Post edited by Stezza on