!! Carrara Challenge 44 - Any Element, Not Just the 5th WIP Thread

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited January 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge 44 – Any Element, Not Just the 5th

Ancient philosophers believed the Earth was made up of four elements, Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Perhaps Carrara is our pass to a 5th Element, a virtual world.  Modern chemists have identified many elements – in fact an entire periodic table of them. Your task is to create an image inspired by an element or elements of a virtual world, or an imaginary world, or even of the real world.. Whether you like your elements bold like ancient fire demons and water nymphs, heroic like comic book Fantastic Four, scifi like LeeLoo Dallas in the 5th Element, morally confused like King Midas's obsession with gold, ethically perplexed like scientists in the 1940s experimenting with atomic bombs, mystically wise like Taoist masters encouraging us to be more like water, or something completely different, we want to see it.

There are two categories of entries.

Category A – use a render pass from Carrara's multipass renderer list in some way, any way. Could be for postwork, but does not have to be.

Category B – use at least one of the following special Carrara drop-down menu elements – Fire, Fog, Cloud, Fountain, Volumetric Cloud, Old Volumetric Cloud, or Ocean Primitive.

Rules

4 entries allowed – yes, that is 4. Two in each category.

However, no more than 2 entries may be entered in each category. If an image qualifies for both category A and category B, the artist must select only one category when posting to the entry thread. You may not enter 3 or 4 images in a single category (although 3 or 4 may qualify). You can switch around until the entry thread closes for voting.

For each entry, you must have at least one post in the WIP thread that describes how it qualifies for its category. The focus is on community learning and fun.

You do not have to use the function for the purpose for which it is designed. For example, you could insert the ocean primitive and then change its shader to be a terrain, If you can make a volumetric cloud look like fire, good for you. If you want to render a shadow pass from one test render and then use it as a bump map for an object rather than postwork, it still qualifies as using a multipass.

Date –

January 27, 2019. Midnight Daz Time, Entry thread closes and voting begins.

EDIT: Deadline extended to Monday, 1/28, at 8am Daz Utah time.

Prizes

$60 in Daz Original Items (Credit) – Best Overall Participation (most votes all images combined)

$50 (same) – Artist of Image in Category A with most votes (not combined)

$50 (same) – Artist os Image in Category B with most votes (not combined)

$30 (same) – Honorable Mention – (Artist with most combined votes but does not win above)

Can't win more than one.

Sponsor – one artist will receive one item from the sponsor's store. More later. Have a potential surprise that would be very fitting, but might not work out for complex reasons. More later.

I'll try to find some helpful resources and add them to the next post.

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Reserved

edited December 2018
    zz01c carrara menu.jpg
    1683 x 653 - 356K

Some inspiration

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

Very interesting challenge.... yes

if anyone wants to play around or use the MultiPass for the Challenge I modeled yesterday, I have attached the zip file to the Wacky Post thread here

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 2018

ah terrific Ted, didnt even see tis sorry! Put on tinking hat and start to tinkering.

great to centre on the multipasses - it's one of those things that makes Carrara so good for artists

ah thanks for putting my links up!

thanks for the multipass too Stezza

ah I see https://mustakettu85.wordpress.com/ is now protected and has no access ?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited December 2018

We have a toon parody called "Crumpled Element" in Russian WITH SUBTITLES IN ENGLISH

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 2018

what if you have gas burners?

I would be totally out of my element

B11536E0-708B-4B7E-A7A5-D5DF9A52FBFB.jpeg
    500 x 301 - 29K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

I arriveth!

Hmm...a cloud issu8ing from a rump?

Oh, sorry. Be back when my mind gets home.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

luv 5th element movieheart.  roooobeeee rodd ,  bottabing, 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

cotton candy is an ele,ment

edited December 2018

Glad to see people getting ready.  I have posted an announcement in the Art Forum.  I emphasized the postwork compatibility of multipasses.  Maybe it will get someone to take a look at Carrara who has not done so yet. Feel free to stop by the Art forum thread at any time.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/296201/carrara-challeng-44-aids-to-postwork-multipass-elements

Mystarra - Cotton candy is an element.  Yum.  This confectioner in China makes it very pretty.

MAJourney - Fart jokes are welcome (perhaps even encouraged in some corners) as long as they are within the TOS. If its good enough for Shakespeare, its good enoughfor challenge 44.

WendyCarrara - stovetop element!  There are so many ways to use element.  Glad you are in the lead.  Hoping to see the unexpected!

Veronika - Thanks for the video link.  I am now addicted.  I might have to make one of my silly custom figures in his style!

Headwax - sorry for the bad link.  I should have checked before cutting and pasting.  

Stezza - Thanks for the wacky multipass model.  I will definitely use it for one of my entries.

edited December 2018

For people who have never tried a multipass, I am attaching a simple test scene.  It has a few objects with different shader characteristics and other scene features that give a few examples of multipasses.

zip
    zip
    Challenge 44 Test Scene for Multipasses.zip
    Multipass Elements Test Render PNG.png
    1200 x 900 - 907K
    edited December 2018

Here are a couple of examples.

Shadow pass from the above test render

Atmosphere - had used a realistic sky in the test scene.  Realistic skies are set in the atmosphere tab of the scene menu.

Global Illumination - I had used indirect light and the cone's glow is strong enough to emit some light., in addition to some small scene level GI.

Reflection Pass - the sphere in the scene has a reflective shader applied

Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_Shadow.png
    1200 x 900 - 756K
    Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_Atmosphere1.png
    1200 x 900 - 86K
    Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_GlobalIllumination.png
    1200 x 900 - 608K
    Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_Reflection.png
    1200 x 900 - 40K
    edited December 2018

And a couple more examples.

Glow pass

Specular highlight

material diffuse

Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_Glow.png
    1200 x 900 - 12K
    Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_Specular.png
    1200 x 900 - 172K
    Multipass Elements Test Render PNG_MaterialDiffuse.png
    1200 x 900 - 580K

terrific work Diomede, thanks for that!!!

edited December 2018

FREE Homage Alien to Russian Parody of 5th Element 

See @Vyusur's clip above.  I have attached a file to this post of my interpretation of the parody alien.  

zip
    zip
    Free Alien Filthy Element Carrara Challenge 44.zip
    yy01 Freebie Alien Filthy Element.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
    edited December 2018

he he very nice!

this uses the depth pass with a screen parameeter to get a lighter background, slo coverage pass and toon pass to bring out the lines, I rendered out a few shadows passes with different lights to try and get more definition but it didnt work this time

post work in fotosketcher and topaz simplify

corridor1_Depth.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 7M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Vyusur said:

We have a toon parody called "Crumpled Element" in Russian WITH SUBTITLES IN ENGLISH

Ha! That's great, there are a few refs in there to some Spaceballs scenes as well.

edited December 2018

NAE

Flat Element

Doc4.png
    1000 x 1300 - 603K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited December 2018

lol... very cool .. they talk very fast in subtitles lol but I did see Australia was mentioned... why?.. I have no idea .. laugh

I have started with my idea and it all begins with a spring ..

looking forward to the ideas being posted for this challenge.

spring.jpg
    745 x 687 - 50K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 2018

I convert the spring to another modeler to start the modeling.. the spring parametres were adjusted to my liking prior to converting.

in the modeling room I untriagulate as much as needed then use soft select to move and bend the ends of the spring into a position I require.

Once I'm happy with the shape I duplicate it once then duplicate the duplicate and rotate into position and finish off by welding the tops together. I then delete the 2nd duplicate as it's not needed anymore.

the elements I'll be playing with are Argon, Phosphor and Mercury smiley

edited to change hydrogen to Argon

spring_softselect_bend.jpg
    832 x 651 - 94K
    spring_softselect_duplicate.jpg
    793 x 687 - 91K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

Stazza, be careful. Didn't you pay attention in Chemistry class?

Me either.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    MAJourney said:

Me either.

Stezza's entry should be somewhat illuminating !!!

Vyusur said:

NAE

Flat Element

Excellent !!!

he he very nice!

this uses the depth pass with a screen parameeter to get a lighter background, slo coverage pass and toon pass to bring out the lines, I rendered out a few shadows passes with different lights to try and get more definition but it didnt work this time

German stormtroopers ? Nice render btw

FREE Homage Alien to Russian Parody of 5th Element 

See @Vyusur's clip above.  I have attached a file to this post of my interpretation of the parody alien.  

Cool !!!

MAJourney said:

Me either.

Stezza's entry should be somewhat illuminating !!!

Ha ha ! Thanks for commenting on my work too. I thought it was invisible ;) . They are diegos that came with poser and random Diego armour I found in my runtime. Just exploring all the crap I have bought over time.... or that came gratis .... 

lol... very cool .. they talk very fast in subtitles lol but I did see Australia was mentioned... why?.. I have no idea .. laugh

"Gentlemen! Here comes the president of Afro-Asian Euro-Australia!"
    Some kind of omni-president I guess.

he he very nice!

Excellent, as always.  Gives me some ideas for experimenting with the coverage pass and shadow passes.    Brash and Moxie may make a toonish appearance in Challenge 44.

Vyusur said:

NAE

Flat Element

How fun!  Sorry about the elbows and other joint bends.  I created empty joint contrl morphs so people could address if desired.