!! Carrara Challenge 44 - Any Element, Not Just the 5th WIP Thread

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

edit the results were pretty useless :)  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/395816/#Comment_395816 (ggod fun reading the old posts by JM2000 though!)

Another thought on that AO test:

By default (Render Room) Indirect Lighting accuracy is set to 16px, which results in blocks of shadow. I noticed that it looks much better and doesn't add a lot of extra time to drop that to a more respectable level, like 1px or even .5

Argh!

Thnng.... and the screen goes black. I had to walk away before I go and break something angry like Me! Argh!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804
    edited January 2019

wow ... had to go through three pages to catch up..

what imaginations we have here... totally awesome.

I love it! heart

I did do two just for fun images over the christmas break in between grandkids..

I Thought You Said Elephant!

and

Crazy Frog meets the Yellow Submarine

H2O Elephant.jpg
    900 x 675 - 586K
    Crazy Frog.png
    900 x 675 - 686K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited January 2019

edit the results were pretty useless :)  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/395816/#Comment_395816 (ggod fun reading the old posts by JM2000 though!)

By default (Render Room) Indirect Lighting accuracy is set to 16px, which results in blocks of shadow. I noticed that it looks much better and doesn't add a lot of extra time to drop that to a more respectable level, like 1px or even .5

great find, thank you

love your series of render passes and the angle of the compoistion - very intimate :)

and wonderful saliva :) !!

I was waiting for a coverage pass too - sometimes handy along with the object pass - as you already noted 

have you played much with toonpro and wireframe pro yet ?

Post edited by Headwax on

wow ... had to go through three pages to catch up..

what imaginations we have here... totally awesome.

I love it! heart

I did do two just for fun images over the christmas break in between grandkids..

I Thought You Said Elephant!

and

Crazy Frog meets the Yellow Submarine

That's classic Stezza, being both examples of Classic Stezza :)

love the tattered sail and the detail of the lamp and lamp holder

thanks HeadWax.. I've attached the raft for download in the Wacky Modeling Thread for everyone to experiment with... includes the lantern yes

thanks HeadWax.. I've attached the raft for download in the Wacky Modeling Thread for everyone to experiment with... includes the lantern yes

Thanks Stezza, that should shed a little light on things :)

very generous of you - once again

edited January 2019

here's a couple of variations including  Dart's elegant ambient occlusion observations

1st) this I had to turn the occlison radius up to 8ft - it has a toonpro, wireframe pro and coverage pass incoorporated over the top (multiply parameter) to show off some line work

Image may contain: plant, shoes, table and outdoor

2) this second one is the same as the above with a beauty pass on a top layer. The paramter linear light is used on this layer - to bring out more of a cartoony look 

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Next one uses the photoshop filter 'graphic pen' on the ambient pass. On top of that I used two  neutral grey laters with Overlay parameters to give a bit more ink work'. I also ran them through the graphic pen but used different angles for the pen lines

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, table, outdoor and indoor

As above but run through filter forge's "sketchbook  filter" to reduce the highlights

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, outdoor and indoor

Final tweaking. I took above image and ran it run through 'poster edges' ps filter. Then dropped the shadow pass on top (parameter to 'multiply'). Tweaked that the shadow pass's tonal levels to reduce the midtone brightness.

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, shoes, outdoor and indoor

I'll probably make the area where the figure is a little brighter to make the focal point more obvious....

great find, thank you

love your series of render passes and the angle of the compoistion - very intimate :)

and wonderful saliva :) !!

I was waiting for a coverage pass too - sometimes handy along with the object pass - as you already noted 

have you played much with toonpro and wireframe pro yet ?

Not at all yet. Darned PC keeps crashing.

I thought a good ol' Windows reinstall might help. After that, I haven't put a whole lot (of anything) on it - just Carrara, DS, Howler, Affinity Photo, and a few other things. Might take a few months for me to get back on my feet with a new machine :(

edited January 2019

ah good luck, I'm sorry you are having those troubles!!

here's today's work - a whol lot of passes combined - mainly shadow and coverage with a little diffuse to bring back the details - post work in topaz impression and filter forge with tweaking with oloneo and  Nik filters

'Bruce and The Drowning Skeletons" nominal title, detail: .

More than a nod to Casper Friedrich's use of the compositional “Rückenfigur” (figure from the back). If you know his 'Wanderer above the Sea of Fog' then you'll catch the meaning.

The idea is to show the viewer what the person in the image is seeing - to involve them more in the landscape. There's also the advantage of keeping the figure's face hidden - with its attendant mystery.

Against that is the sense of 'isolation and melancholy' that we feel because the person has their back to us.

There's probably other reasons for doing “Rückenfigur” and I'm open to suggestions...

Mind you, if you are seeing what Bruce is seeing, then it's time for a holi(y)day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rückenfigur

finalcrop.jpg
    3000 x 1900 - 5M
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,711

Headwax - love the way you are building up the scene from landscape, wizard, and skeletons !!!

Stezza - a couple of classic renders, great as always.

Dart - your composite scene is looking marvellous, hope the computer does not slow you down.

thank Bunyip 02 :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited January 2019

About one week left!

Very impressive, Andrew.  Great to see some of your steps.  Both inspiring and instructive.

Love the toons, Stezza.  Can't wait to see which you decide to enter.

Dart, excellent.  Hope you get it finished.

Remember the containment tank that I modeled?  Remember voting on who should be put in it?

We'll see if I can clean it up before the deadline.

EDIT:  This is a version before postwork.  However, I will render another version with that doesn't have the blown out light on Brash's face.

Brash 01.png
    1600 x 1600 - 901K
    Brash 02.png
    1600 x 1600 - 894K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Ha ha Ted, you are a scream - at first I read this as 'The Brash" - great name for the character

edited January 2019

Thanks, Headwax.  Another of my cheezy faux pulp covers.  laugh

EDIT: If anyone is a Ray Harryhausen fan, recall the plot of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

Multipass example from someone with no business providing a multipass example.  As always, suggestions welcome, but maybe this will encourage others who haven't tried the multipasses to experiment.  Still a full week to go.

Here is the straight render of Brash's hair.  ("Beauty Pass")

Here is a result from the volumetric primitive pass.

Here is an isolation of Brash's hair selected from volume primitive pass

Here is a comparison of results by using selected hair from volume prmitive pass as a separate layer over straight render, and then setting the volume pass to "color dodge."  The hair can be highlighted by adjusting the degree of color dodge.

Color Dodge layer set to zero

Color Dodge layer set to 50 percent

Color Dodge layer set to 100 percent

cc01 brash hair beauty pass.JPG
    1198 x 856 - 101K
    cc02 brash hair volumetric primitive pass.JPG
    1112 x 842 - 65K
    cc03 select and invert to isolate hair.JPG
    913 x 583 - 99K
    cc04 brash hair set primitive pass to color dodge.JPG
    971 x 751 - 85K
    cc05 color dodge at 50.JPG
    1056 x 831 - 91K
    cc06 color dodge at zero.JPG
    1009 x 826 - 85K
    edited January 2019

Other volume primitives - Brash hair, Moxie Hair, Green fire bottom of tank, orange fire row across terrain

color dodge set at zero, 50, and 100 percent.

dd01 beauty pass.JPG
    1419 x 834 - 126K
    dd02 adjusted at 50 see hair but also fire row and gren fire bottom of tank.JPG
    1423 x 830 - 127K
    dd03 color dodge at 100.JPG
    1433 x 818 - 126K
    edited January 2019

One more - here is this interim result (1st attempt to correct lighting on face) after compositing with filter forge watercolor and aquarelle filters.

Composite of FF 01.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 899K

you can never have too many layers to muck around with yes

love it.. and using PSE as well.... how cool is that heart

bit of another play around... using some Tangy stuff for this one

CH3COOH + C10H18O for cleaning up your renders cool devil

n ice looking primitif passes Ted - ,my primitive passes always come out black and white!! thanks for the blow by blow 

Stezza that mist and forgeround saturation really make this one ;sing;

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

Meh, school has started back up and has piled readings onto my plate. Biology, dang it!

Sorry  wasn't able to play this one.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

3 more days to render?

a lil foggy on the categories. i did 1 with clouds, 

@MAJourney - I hate it when life gets in the way!  Thanks for participating in the WIP thread.  Hope you make a last ditch effort to get an entry in, but if not, then dont forget to vote.  Make sure to check out the next challenge.

@Mystarra - either use clouds (or another drop down such as fire) or use a multipass render in some way.  Don't have to do both, just one or the other.

Thanks for the comments, Stezza and Headwax.  For my projects, I am slowly substtuting elements.  For example, I modeled a new city for the Brash/Moxie shrinking cover.  Just a terrain and few duplicated buildings and a winding bridge/road.

Brash 04 new city.png
    1600 x 1600 - 1M

Still a few days left.  Don't forget to get your entries in, @Varsel, @MDO2010, @Dartanbeck, @Headwax_Carrara, @UnifiedBrain,  and everyone else.  Remember to specifiy a category.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

my images are dark these days my head filled with the cruelty in the world.

Mystarra said:

my images are dark these days my head filled with the cruelty in the world.

Dark can very good.  Or, render something bright and uplifting to break your mood.  We accept all kinds. (Hope your spirits lift - sending positive karma your way).

As some red headed orphan said, the sun will come up tomorrow.  Then the day after that.  And then the day after that midnight Daz Utah time the entry thread will close.  So, just over two and a half days to get more renders in.

edited January 2019

MultiPass 

The wildernes is sometimes referred to as The Elements.  Here is The Alpha Dog

I got the random colors and texture by taking the straight render and the passes for volumetric primitive and background and rendering back on a plane in Carrara.  I used the multipasses to drive a color gradient mixed in the color channel and to drive the bump channel.  

Pretty simple scene, using AM's wolf 2 and bison.  I used Carrara hair for the fur, and copied the animal body maps to the hair's root and tip channels.

Buffalo 00 composite within Carrara.jpg
    1600 x 1038 - 177K
    Buffalo 04.png
    1600 x 1038 - 2M
    Buffalo 04_VolumePrimitives0.png
    1600 x 1038 - 1M
    buffalo multipass in the gradient.JPG
    931 x 702 - 87K
    buffalo 00 setup.JPG
    1487 x 938 - 118K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited January 2019

I'm determined to finish an entry, still working out the composition and scene elements...so much to do, lol.

comp_001.jpg
    960 x 600 - 51K
    fsg_model_001.jpg
    641 x 767 - 137K
    fsg_model_002.jpg
    506 x 824 - 147K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

@DesertDude - looking great so far. You can get it in.  

Extension!

Everyone - might as well state now that the entry thread will not close until Monday morning Jan 28 at 8:00 am Daz Utah time.  I've shared my internet issue woes elsewhere, suffice to say here that I won't be seeking out internet access in the middle of the night if I can't get WiFi in my condo.