Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    Thanks DAZ_Spooky,

The Digital Painters Shaders still aren't showing up as part of 8.5.

Therese are showing up now as part of the 8.5 Pro Bundle now:

Carrara Hair Caps
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Howies Snow Scene

Great to see that the missing stuff in 8.5 is being fixed and for clarifying what 8.5 has in it.

I hope DAZ makes the older V4 & M4 shaders for Carrara available for sale so newer Crarrara user who want them can purchase them. (They were only in the older build only.)

I'm not sure if the missing downloads for the older versions of Mimic Pro for is going to get fixed.

I have to update the plugin info I wrote in the Carrara information manual thread to mention the After effects plugin is not part of 8.5 and doesn't work with newer version of After Effects which i why it wasn't included.

Howie's snow scene wasn't supposed to. It is a beautiful scene but it plays havoc with 32 bit versions of Carrara. The hair caps also shouldn't be there as they were replaced by a newer version designed specifically for Genesis, and should be in your Content directory and Smart Content. You are much better off using the new hair caps as they will morph with your character.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Kerya said:
    NeilV 1 said:
    Sarsifus said:
    DAZ_jared said:
    Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders

I'm still downloading files, but can anyone tell me which one(s) contains the V5 and M5 Carrara shaders, 'cause I'm not seeing anything in my Product Library that references that. Thanks...

That's C8.5 native content and C8.5 pro native content.

Fascinating
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content 157.40 KB
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content 1.63 MB

Pro is smaller????
    Both are zips ...

maybe you need both

All three, actually. There is also a Carrara 8 Native Content. The two mentioned are the shaders to go with the characters included with the Starter and Pro bundles. (Phillip, James, Bree and Gabi in the second file. Benjamin and Tori in the first.)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Kerya said:
    NeilV 1 said:
    Sarsifus said:
    DAZ_jared said:
    Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders

I'm still downloading files, but can anyone tell me which one(s) contains the V5 and M5 Carrara shaders, 'cause I'm not seeing anything in my Product Library that references that. Thanks...

That's C8.5 native content and C8.5 pro native content.

Fascinating
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content 157.40 KB
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content 1.63 MB

Pro is smaller????
    Both are zips ...

maybe you need both

All three, actually. There is also a Carrara 8 Native Content. The two mentioned are the shaders to go with the characters included with the Starter and Pro bundles. (Phillip, James, Bree and Gabi in the second file. Benjamin and Tori in the first.)

Thanks Spooky. I did download all 3, although as a complete newbie to Carrara I am not going to play with the Genesis stuff till I have a handle on Carrara itself.

edited August 2013

chohole said:

Thanks Spooky. I did download all 3, although as a complete newbie to Carrara I am not going to play with the Genesis stuff till I have a handle on Carrara itself.

Unless your primary goal is to use the modeler, IMHO, the easiest step into Carrara is to see how it does what you are already familiar with. Yes, using Carrara as a DS or Poser replacement is a bit of overkill, but doing that will start you getting familiar with things like Lighting, shader settings and render settings. Carrara has lots of features, it is best to try bite sized pieces. LOL.

I will, also, note that while, IMHO, everyone can benefit from [digital] lighting and rendering by Jeremy Birn this is especially true of Carrara users coming from DS, Bryce or Poser.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store. We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

On the first announcement, I was doubtful to the point of snarky. The only features really touted were in aid of Genesis-based figures—it was like building an auto-kitchenette suite, one that's fully equipped to support any manner, style, and ethnicity of food preparation, only to advertise it by saying what a great job it does of warming Hot Pockets™. As details trickle out and more features come to light, well, I really don't think I'm getting soft in my old age. As I hadn't jumped in on 8 originally (reports of bugs sent me screaming in the other direction), the initial offering of 8.5 is looking attractive.

That said, look at the bolded portion of the quote above and then let's play a little game.

Start on Daz3D's front page. Pretend you're a new customer considering whether to invest in the Carrara continuum, or take your money to another software company. You're looking for information on the product. How many clicks does it take you to get to an official announcement? An 8.5 feature list? 8.5 box art?

edited August 2013

Territan said:

That said, look at the bolded portion of the quote above and then let's play a little game.

Start on Daz3D's front page. Pretend you're a new customer considering whether to invest in the Carrara continuum, or take your money to another software company. You're looking for information on the product. How many clicks does it take you to get to an official announcement? An 8.5 feature list? 8.5 box art?

One click. Hot Promotions, scroll down or Shop-Software-Carrara.
    Also 2 clicks, 3D Software, Carrara.

Now the direct Carrara link on that page is a Carrara 8 page that hadn't been updated, thanks for pointing that out, and that is getting fixed.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Territan said:

One click, after I hover over Shop -> Software -> Carrara...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

chohole said:

Unless your primary goal is to use the modeler, IMHO, the easiest step into Carrara is to see how it does what you are already familiar with. Yes, using Carrara as a DS or Poser replacement is a bit of overkill, but doing that will start you getting familiar with things like Lighting, shader settings and render settings. Carrara has lots of features, it is best to try bite sized pieces. LOL.

I will, also, note that while, IMHO, everyone can benefit from [digital] lighting and rendering by Jeremy Birn this is especially true of Carrara users coming from DS, Bryce or Poser.

Yes I have looked at that book before.

I doubt if Carrara will ever replace my beloved Bryce, but I am willing to try it and see what I can do with it. Landscapes are my fave form of image, although not my only output, so that is what I will put through it's paces first off.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

On a side note, somewhere in this thread or the other, someone mentioned that the 64 bit is not really 64 bit, but a ported 32 bit or something, that runs on 64 bit? Whats the difference there? (NOTE: I've been running the 64 bit version, and it runs fine and fast)

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    On a side note, somewhere in this thread or the other, someone mentioned that the 64 bit is not really 64 bit, but a ported 32 bit or something, that runs on 64 bit? Whats the difference there? (NOTE: I've been running the 64 bit version, and it runs fine and fast)
    64 bit Carrara is definitely 64 bit. What is not truly 64 bit is the Quicktime Codec on the Mac and Mimic pro for Carrara. Neither will cause you issues.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

Yes I have looked at that book before.

I doubt if Carrara will ever replace my beloved Bryce, but I am willing to try it and see what I can do with it. Landscapes are my fave form of image, although not my only output, so that is what I will put through it's paces first off.Believe it or not, the terrain generator for Bryce and Carrara started with the same code from back in the MetaCreations days. .

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited August 2013

Ooops.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Carrara, Pam!!!
    Like they say... baby steps. The cool part is that it can let you accomplish anything you wish to :)
    Sure is nice having all of the poses that those bundle come with, but I'm really enjoying posing of Genesis by hand as well.

As a friendly hint, the included shaders for V5 and M5 are a great way to study how to create your own for people. They can help to show how to apply maps that are not applied by default from other characters, like the Highlight channel getting the spec maps, etc.,

And you already know what a huge fan I am of learning via Cripeman and Phil Wilkes!

I'm really loving it. I love the extra morphs I get from Thorne's resource packs, and then I got the smiles collection and belly control - all for the new Genesis 2 Female. I like them so much that I'll be collecting those for Genesis 1 as well. I already have a lot of shapes for 1, but it's mostly monster and creature stuff. Once I recoup, I'm strongly considering beginning a journey of collecting 3D Universe's entire store!!!

• BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

As a friendly hint, the included shaders for V5 and M5 are a great way to study how to create your own for people. They can help to show how to apply maps that are not applied by default from other characters, like the Highlight channel getting the spec maps, etc.,

Thanks. Note the Phillip one also includes the Displacement maps :)
  • hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited December 1969

Okay I find these replies just adding to my confusion.

I would have been great if DAZ_jared had just listed the price matrix for the 16 variations and saved all this "buzz" about not fair pricing.

What are the prices for each of these combinations?

Carrara 7 Std to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Std to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 7 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Carrara 7 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 7 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Carrara 8 Std to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Std to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 8 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Carrara 8 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 8 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Is there a difference in discount if you are a monthly, quarterly, or annual PC member?

***********************************************************************************

As far as I can make out from this gobblity gook:

Carrara Pro 8.5 is $549.95 and it is on sale for $285.00.

If I am upgrading from Carrara Pro 8 and buy it in the next 2 weeks from August 26th, 2013 then the price is $142.50.

If I am a Platinum Club Member and I am upgrading from Carrara Pro 8 then I can buy it for $85.50.

If I am a Platinum Club Member, have a monthly $6 coupon, and I am upgrading from Carrara Pro 8 then I can buy it for $79.50.

Are these calculations correct?

edited December 1969

hjake said:
    Okay I find these replies just adding to my confusion.

I would have been great if DAZ_jared had just listed the price matrix for the 16 variations and saved all this "buzz" about not fair pricing.

What are the prices for each of these combinations?

Carrara 7 Std to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Std to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 7 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Carrara 7 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 7 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 7 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Carrara 8 Std to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Std to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 8 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Carrara 8 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Std with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =
    Carrara 8 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Std =
    Carrara 8 Pro with PC to Carrara 8.5 Pro =

Is there a difference in discount if you are a monthly, quarterly, or annual PC member?

***********************************************************************************

As far as I can make out from this gobblity gook:

Carrara Pro 8.5 is $549.95 and it is on sale for $285.00.

If I am upgrading from Carrara Pro 8 and buy it in the next 2 weeks from August 26th, 2013 then the price is $142.50.

If I am a Platinum Club Member and I am upgrading from Carrara Pro 8 then I can buy it for $85.50.

If I am a Platinum Club Member, have a monthly $6 coupon, and I am upgrading from Carrara Pro 8 then I can buy it for $79.50.

Are these calculations correct?

The version of Carrara you already own does not matter for the current upgrade pricing, so such a matrix does not matter.
    A Platinum Club member is a Platinum Club Member and how you pay for your Platinum Club membership does not enter into this or any other (to my knowledge) discount.

I haven't done the math, but your numbers look right.

• hjakehjake Posts: 812
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the info DAZ_Spooky.

I guess you're not so scary after all :-)

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Spiderland: contact Support nonetheless - you may not get all of the money back, you may not get part of the money back, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually contacted support on release day but haven't heard anything since. Eh well.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited December 1969

They seemed to be bogged down in support, as I have a request in since Monday on a non-Carrara issue and have heard nothing..

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    They seemed to be bogged down in support, as I have a request in since Monday on a non-Carrara issue and have heard nothing..
    Software releases tend to do that, unfortunately.
  • edited August 2013

Is it must me but I think they should have put this in 9.X not 8.X version numbering. After all if you bought 8.X you have all the rights to any updates inside that version number. IF enough improvements are warranted and features, then yeah, 9.X version system is the way to go.

Sorry but in my opinion, you really need to consider your pricing model with version modeling. The cost of the upgrade inside the same version system is way to high, and what frightens me is if I get the upgrade, I'm sure around the corner 9.0 will appear requiring me to get another upgrade.

So tell me why I should go from 8.1 Pro to 8.5 Pro with only .4 in between. Is there really that much of a difference?

(side note, I hate that my account still shows new when they redid the site from being a long time member yet my post count only shows 4...grrrr)

Post edited by terminator1138_9aa7a368ee on
  • rubidiumrubidium Posts: 27
    edited August 2013

Is it must me but I think they should have put this in 9.X not 8.X version numbering. After all if you bought 8.X you have all the rights to any updates inside that version number. IF enough improvements are warranted and features, then yeah, 9.X version system is the way to go.

Updates from Mac OS X (10.x) are not free....

Perhaps they could use the year as a version number ("Carrara 2013") ;-)

Ramon

Post edited by rubidium on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Sorry but in my opinion, you really need to consider your pricing model with version modeling. The cost of the upgrade inside the same version system is way to high, and what frightens me is if I get the upgrade, I'm sure around the corner 9.0 will appear requiring me to get another upgrade.

So tell me why I should go from 8.1 Pro to 8.5 Pro with only .4 in between. Is there really that much of a difference?

(side note, I hate that my account still shows new when they redid the site from being a long time member yet my post count only shows 4...grrrr)

Usually, in the software world, whole number change denotes a possible disruption in the API. Moving within a 1.x series usually means that the API's haven't changed enough to cause problems with plugins/scripts/etc. A 1.x to 2.x usually means that there is a real possibility that API calls have changed and that support assets might break.

Kendall

• gellenburggellenburg Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

I am getting a workout this morning from my desk to sales to customer service. LOL.

Thanks folks for the tickets. That should be cleared up.

If you are a Platinum Club Member and you see the upgrade price of $171 for Carrara 8.5 Pro then you should see the $85 price once you go to your cart. (It shows up as a Platinum Club discount to the price before you get to the bottom line.) You can only see it if you go to your actual cart, not the dropdown at the top of the page. The same is true of Carrara 8.5 Standard though the price is different.

If you are not seeing the upgrade price, and you did buy Carrara through DAZ3D, they are still working through all the ways you could have purchased Carrara through us. (There were roughly 10 ways to buy Carrara 8 alone.)

Could someone please look at this ticket? Opened on 8/26: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/148558

Thanks.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Is there a new bug tracker, where we can post, see and follow issues and request features?

edited December 1969

Antara said:
    Is there a new bug tracker, where we can post, see and follow issues and request features?
    You can not currently see what other customers have posted as bugs. Bugs are handled, now, by submitting a customer support ticket.
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Antara said:
    You can not currently see what other customers have posted as bugs. Bugs are handled, now, by submitting a customer support ticket.

That is really unfortunate. The bug tracker was a useful resource to see whether an issue was unique to one's system, or had been a known bug. It was also useful to see whether a bug has already been reported by somebody. And people could add to existing descriptions aiding in debugging. It was also useful to track certain feature requests.

Don't you get too many duplicates this way? And don't you need to answer them all individually instead of just being able to link similar issues?

Is there at list a list of known/reported issues somewhere?

edited August 2013

Antara said:
    Antara said:

That is really unfortunate. The bug tracker was a useful resource to see whether an issue was unique to one's system, or had been a known bug. It was also useful to see whether a bug has already been reported by somebody. And people could add to existing descriptions aiding in debugging. It was also useful to track certain feature requests.

Don't you get too many duplicates this way? And don't you need to answer them all individually instead of just being able to link similar issues?

Is there at list a list of known/reported issues somewhere?Oh, we all agree it is a feature we want back. As soon as Zendesk fixes a bug, unfortunately it is their timetable, we will be back to that capability.

We can still link duplicates. :) Zendesk isn't the bug tracker, just your end of it. Our new tracker has many more capabilities than the old one.

We are using Zendesk to connect to it from your end for several reasons, the biggest one is to eliminate you needing more than one account and you not having to worry if what you are reporting is a bug or you need technical assistance but it is not the only one.

It has been our experience that at least 30% of issues reported as bugs were actually Customer support issues, and at least 25% of customer service issues were actually bugs. This meant that our QA team was doing customer support instead of dealing with bugs, and our Customer support team was having to manually enter bugs into the tracker with no way for QA and the developers to connect to the actual customer through the bug tracker.

You guys get one stop ticket reporting, we get to have the right people doing the right job.

The know issue list is in the Carrara 8.5 Readme.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Apologies for the rookie question, but should I uninstall all 8 pro versions on my PC before installing? Will 8.5 install over? Do any plugins or content need to be uninstalled, then reinstalled? I'm hoping by asking first I can avoid creating a mess.

edited December 1969

You guys get one stop ticket reporting, we get to have the right people doing the right job.

The know issue list is in the Carrara 8.5 Readme. That's excellent. I must admit that I felt a bit 'impatient' towards the new web space, but really start to see amazing benefits as time unfolds. I am really excited for the bright, continued success and future here, at DAZ 3D. The documentation articles that keep going up 'behind the scenes' are really good. I am learning a lot of good stuff from that of DS Pro/Genesis content creation - and jared had a beautiful start on that for Carrara. I bet the new tracker will be cool.

Apologies for the rookie question, but should I uninstall all 8 pro versions on my PC before installing? Will 8.5 install over? Do any plugins or content need to be uninstalled, then reinstalled? I'm hoping by asking first I can avoid creating a mess.

On my workstation, I still have 8.1 Pro, 8.5 Pro beta, along with the new 8.5 Pro, which installed to a fresh, new directory. So I believe that the choice is yours.
    So far it seems like all of my Carrara 8 64 bit plugins are working in 8.5 Pro.

I imagine that, if you uninstalled 8.1 or 8.5 beta, and then installed into that same directory, you wouldn't have the need to reinstall any of your plugins and/or other products that get installed to the Carrara directory. Should work, but I never do that simply because I want to use the default, suggested directory, for one, and I never like the idea of renaming an existing directory to avoid that causing trouble down the road - but I'm not savvy towards how that works - so I prefer to fresh install all new versions.