Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,888
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    So, if I buy in, I will be part of this Platinum Club.

Am I correct in assuming I cannot use the $6 coupons on things like Fenric's Carrara stuff? (i.e. its only for things that have "Shop more by: DAZ 3D" above the picture?)

Not just by buying the C8.5 Upgrade - but it's cheape to join the PC, for three months, and then to buy C8.5. And no, you won't be able to use the coupon on things that don't list DAZ 3D as the vendor or which have the special $1.99 or $2.99 prices.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

But you can join and then use the coupon on the C8.5 upgrade.

It must be used on a DAZ Original excluding Platinum Club and Value Items.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Yeah the last one is a zip.

The C8.5 Pro Native Content which didn't get mentioned is the Benjamin Carrara shaders.

Kerya said:
    Thanks for answering!

OK, now for the
    Carrara 8 Native Content

C8 - Native Content (Mac) 184.80 MB download
    C8 - Native Content (Win) 179.23 MB download
    Carrara 8 Native Content 176.78 MB download

OK, I am on WIN, but what about the file with 176.78 MB????

Sorry, totally confused ...

I think the file size differences are due to the installers, and the last one is probably a zip file with no installer.

Maybe,,,

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    But you can join and then use the coupon on the C8.5 upgrade.

It must be used on a DAZ Original excluding Platinum Club and Value Items.

Well that's an idea! I was thinking buying plat club in same purchase...but if I buy it first, then C8.5, and can apply the coupon, so instead of $109.50, its $103.50

Nice! (closer to my $100 budget) :)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    This may have been asked before, and if so, I apologize. If I don't buy 8.5 (but still have C8Pro) will I still be able to get upgrade pricing for C9Pro?

Hey Kodiak.

I vaguely remember remember the upgrade last time needed to be from the last version available.
    So to upgrade to 8, you needed 7.

That's the main reason I'm hustling to get the money to get 8.5 even if I won't use it right away.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited August 2013

ProPose said:
    Kerya said:
    Ehm ... excuse me?

Is it correct that the size of the Carrara 8.5 Native Content is 1.63 MB ?

M5 and V5 Shader PresetsThere should have been a third Carrara Native Content Installer for those with Pro (2 with Standard). The first two are Shaders to go with your V5 and M5 Characters that are included by BTLProd the third is the Carrara native Content that we have all come to know over the years and includes little things like the base plants, examples, the "new scene" wizard content, etc. :)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Thanks for answering!

OK, now for the
    Carrara 8 Native Content

C8 - Native Content (Mac) 184.80 MB download
    C8 - Native Content (Win) 179.23 MB download
    Carrara 8 Native Content 176.78 MB download

OK, I am on WIN, but what about the file with 176.78 MB????

Sorry, totally confused ...

Bitrock installers add, about, an additional 6 megs on Windows, and about twice that on a Mac.
    edited December 1969

oh shut up
    I paid $171
    because I jumped the gun
    $85 not too bad really
    File a support ticket if you got the wrong price.
    edited December 1969

As I said, not helpful at all.

DavidWell, it certainly CAN be, if you have a look through them - as that really does, fairly plainly, spell out the differences. For example, I didn't get very far through the 'blue' listings before I realized that Standard just won't cut it for what I need.

• 64 bit is only available in Pro
    As are the rest if this list that I gleaned from that link:
    • Ocean Primitive
    • Render time displacement on terrains
    • Symmetrical Modeling
    • Displacement Modeling
    • Displacement & Microdisplacement Mapping
    • Bridge Tool
    • Edge Extrusion
    • Editing of non-Zero'd Figures
    • Irradiance Maps
    • Vector Motion Blur
    • Network Rendering
    • Normal Maps
    • Multi Pass Rendering
    •Negative Lights
    •Photometric (IES) Lightingpro only
    •Graph Editor
    •Rigid Body Dynamics (using the Bullet physics library)
    •Soft Body Dynamics (using the Bullet physics library)
    •3D Paint
    •UV unfolding
    •Real Display of Bumps and Specularity

•RPF Export
    •After Effects Camera Export
    •Match Mover Tracking
    •FBX Export

...and I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants... just trying to help you see the difference.

The 64 bit one really took me from the start. I like having access to my many GB of RAM.
    But then I start to see things that I really want. The Ocean Primitive self animates with the check of a box! I often really need to model symmetrically and I am intrigued with the idea of displacement modeling. 3D Paint, UV unfolding, dynamic physics and all of the animation enhancements... I need that stuff!Wait until you start using the Multi-pass rendering.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    I've got those with my C8 Pro but thy are missing from C 8 .5 C 8.5 Pro. I'm mentioning that those files are missing since if you don't have the older version you have no way to get them.

I don't use DIM to download and those files are not included among the Manual download for C 8.5.

DAZ forgot to put them in C8.5. They did the same thing with the Native Content . DAZ did fix the missing Native Content problem a few hours ago so you can download the C8 Native Content if you have 8.5. The C8 Native Content now shows as being included in both C8 & C9.5 Pro now in My Product Library

The still need to fix the other missing files.

DAZ also removed all the older versions of Mimic Pro for Carrara too and now only the 8.5 version can be downloaded, so they need to fix that too so all versions can be downloaded like before.

-_Milo_- said:
    Jay_NOLA said:
    So other files are still missing that were in C8 Pro from the C8.5 downloads

These are:

Howie's Snow Scene
    C8 After Effect plug in file
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Digital Painters Shaders
    The V4 Shaders
    The M4 Shaders.
    V4
    M4
    V4 Morphs
    Armasedea Hair
    Jai Hair
    M4 & V4 basic clothing

are you using DIM? since those were already in the library they won't show up again.

The V4 and M4 bundles were replaced in favor of the V5 and M5 bundles. The After Effects plug-in has not worked in so long, that I am not sure anyone knows what it was supposed to do, so was pulled, and need a significant rework before it can be put back.

As for the others, I can ask but no promises. As an upgrade customer you already have them.
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Hi...I haven't purchased C8.5 Pro yet, am waiting to use Sept coupon on it. My question is to install the new version is the best way to remove all reference to previous versions of Carrara and install everything new with the new version?

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Hey Spooky

Do you know if the aniBlock importer and Mimic work in C8.5?

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Hi...I haven't purchased C8.5 Pro yet, am waiting to use Sept coupon on it. My question is to install the new version is the best way to remove all reference to previous versions of Carrara and install everything new with the new version?
    You can if you wish but you don't need to. Carrara 8.1 sits side by side with Carrara 8.5.
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Hey Spooky

Do you know if the aniBlock importer and Mimic work in C8.5?

Both work though you need the Mimic Pro for Carrara 8.5 (The only DAZ3D plug-in to change.) plug-in. Make sure you have the current aniBlock importer, that was updated a while back but the same version works in both 8.1 and 8.5.
    edited December 1969

For those looking at Carrara 8.5 and thinking I don't use "Content" you might want to look at the other features. :) The new lights are, what most would consider, either "nice to have" or "It's about time" but the power of the new animation tools are something you may want to take a closer look at.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    I've got those with my C8 Pro but thy are missing from C 8 .5 C 8.5 Pro. I'm mentioning that those files are missing since if you don't have the older version you have no way to get them.

I don't use DIM to download and those files are not included among the Manual download for C 8.5.

DAZ forgot to put them in C8.5. They did the same thing with the Native Content . DAZ did fix the missing Native Content problem a few hours ago so you can download the C8 Native Content if you have 8.5. The C8 Native Content now shows as being included in both C8 & C9.5 Pro now in My Product Library

The still need to fix the other missing files.

DAZ also removed all the older versions of Mimic Pro for Carrara too and now only the 8.5 version can be downloaded, so they need to fix that too so all versions can be downloaded like before.

-_Milo_- said:
    Jay_NOLA said:
    So other files are still missing that were in C8 Pro from the C8.5 downloads

These are:

Howie's Snow Scene
    C8 After Effect plug in file
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Digital Painters Shaders
    The V4 Shaders
    The M4 Shaders.
    V4
    M4
    V4 Morphs
    Armasedea Hair
    Jai Hair
    M4 & V4 basic clothing

are you using DIM? since those were already in the library they won't show up again.

The V4 and M4 bundles were replaced in favor of the V5 and M5 bundles. The After Effects plug-in has not worked in so long, that I am not sure anyone knows what it was supposed to do, so was pulled, and need a significant rework before it can be put back.

As for the others, I can ask but no promises. As an upgrade customer you already have them. The DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler and Digital Painters Shaders are being added to the 8.5 bundles. Thanks for pointing out they were missing.
    edited December 1969

So is it OK to buy now? Everything ironed out? Any last updates still pending, adding more content, tweaking installers, including forgotten items, lowering the price, releasing for free, a BMW with every purchase...anything?

edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    So is it OK to buy now? Everything ironed out? Any last updates still pending, adding more content, tweaking installers, including forgotten items, lowering the price, releasing for free, a BMW with every purchase...anything?
    Since they fixed the price Yesterday, it is safe to purchase. :) One of the benefits of Install Manager is we can just give you more files. :)

But I think we have it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited August 2013

3doutlaw said:
    I did - and I must say:
    DAZ_Spooky,
    you and your team have done an amazing job!
    I've said it before, Carrara 8.5 is a smoother, faster, more responsive Carrara - and I love you for it!
    Thanks!

As for some of that content, Jay, I think some "Give away" material truly must remain with the version that it came with - as incentive for 'keeping up with the times' sort of thing. Am I wrong? Not trying to be... well... you know.

So I wish that we could get "The Advance Pack" updated at DAZ, so that we didn't have to run around finding the latest files that work. Plus it would be better than sweet if all of those and other plugins, like Fenric's, for example, worked via DIM, just to stay consistent.

I'm currently doing an entirely full install on my portable workstation just to get into using the DIM. I really love it - but those missing items is what keeps me from wanting to make the switch on my main workstation - as I like to keep an organized archive of everything that I have installed on my TEMP disc (internal separate HDD).
    Speaking of workstations, DAZ_Spooky, my Zambezi 8 is an amazing combination with Carrara 8.5! How's yours behaving... you like it?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    Since they fixed the price Yesterday, it is safe to purchase. :) One of the benefits of Install Manager is we can just give you more files. :)

But I think we have it. Another benefit is how DIM immediately notices updates to what you have installed. I love that. Just launch DIM now and again, and sign in... BAM!

edited December 1969

I truly think that I am sold on this whole DIM thing, though. Now that it's out of beta and updated since, it knows Carrara products from DS files, etc., and installs them just where they belong. Very cool.
    For the few things currently unsupported, I can still just keep my running archive as I have in the past - but will be a much smaller folder size (since everything else will be handled by DIM).
    It manages my 'old school' runtime assortment like a true champ - and is so fast at it. Then anything tagged "Update" can simply be automated - as it already knows where the original file was installed to. Great job again, Spooky!

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,786
    edited December 1969

I just looked in my cart and it went from $85.50 to $285. I tried logging out and back in and it went to $142.50; It's still not showing the PC discount....

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388
    edited December 1969

Which are you getting the upgrade or full version? You may want to try removing it from cart and clearing your cache and putting it back and see if that works

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,325
    edited August 2013

How long is the 40% off for PC members good for?

I have Carrara 8.5 in my cart along with PC membership. Yesterday it showed both the 50% discount for previous owners AND the 40% for PC members. But today I'm only seeing the 50% for previous owners.

Charlie

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • info_8091df6d8cinfo_8091df6d8c Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Yep, me too, I put it in the cart yesterday after i finally managed to get it at 85.50$ and when I tried to buy it today (I was a bit short on my cc) it jumped back to 142.50$ This is just hilarious! i have never seen something like that :-P

• info_8091df6d8cinfo_8091df6d8c Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

And I DID try to log out, clear the caches, use a different browser, etc... I even bought this week's free itme to check that my PC status was OK and it was, so...

edited December 1969

Yea, something just went wonky, I am back up to $166.50

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,786
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Which are you getting the upgrade or full version? You may want to try removing it from cart and clearing your cache and putting it back and see if that works

Upgrade, Frank. It was $85.50 in the cart this morning. I tried what you suggested and it's still $142.50...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,388
    edited December 1969

I flagged it up to DAZ

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Pricing is fixed, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm about to get medieval on some people to make sure it doesn't happen again ;-)