Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@ladair   How is it you know all this stuff? I'm impressed! 

So do you like the 4.11 beta?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I got the newest 4.11 beta and it has now fixed once again dForce after dForce being broken for all prior versions of 4.11 beta. 

I've not had trouble with DS crashing but I deleted about 100GB of CC0 HRDIs because I wasn't happy with how DS utilizes them and the quality of too many of them. I prefer the consistancy of Sun & Sky or a product like Painter's Lights or BOSS Studio Portrait Lighting. I've also gotten better at using emissive lights on meshes on the fly when I want them in a scene. What I do have trouble with is multiple iRay renders cause Windows 10 to allocate more and more swap and it doesn't get returned until I reboot my PC.

I am going to try and do something and make a dog breed for Dog 8 but just using the Dog 8 default morphs & I'll try to make my 1st texture set. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Well, whenever I run into any issues, I go to Google and search using "site:www.daz3d.com/forums/" followed by relevant search terms. For example:

site:www.daz3d.com/forums/ how to save render after crash

I imagine it helps a lot that I was in electronics for a couple of decades before going into website stuff, (design, maintenance, marketing, etc.) And repetition. I've looked up many of these things so many times, I now remember them without needing to use Google!

Daz released a third 4.11 beta a week ago, and I haven't installed it yet. I'm still using the second beta. Since I first picked up the 4.8 beta with Iray, I've kept both a beta and the previous release version installed. I use the beta most of the time, but drop back to the released version if something is "broken" in the beta. If my experience with the 4.11 beta is any indication, I think you'll like 4.11 when it's released.

@nonesuch00, you're scaring me. Are you saying the beta released last week fixes dForce problems with the version I'm still using? I've not experienced anything with dForce that I would call broken, so now I'm worried…!

• Have seen comments that 4.11 is rendering slower

Well, my DIM has slowed to a crawl the past week.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Have seen comments that 4.11 is rendering slower

That's a hard one for me to quantify. I don't do a control render test with each beta. Some things seem to be taking longer, but I've also been playing wtih things that are known to slow things down… Thousands of instances, for example.

I did notice one recent render that took way to long. I didn't notice until the next morning that it had been rendering CPU Only. Something on my computer wasn't releasing memory from the video card and it had passed the threshold. Not by much, though. I rebooted the computer and did a short test render. It was still over 7K on the video card, but rendered with the GPU. Anyway, I'm not sure if that was studio related, or one of the other programs I'd had open, (Photoshop and Illustrator,) whiile working on the scene and creating textures for the playing cards.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I can't remember the last crash I had with either 4.10 or 4.11 Beta, the last one as I haven't rendered with the latest one yet.

Try moveing your virtual memory/swap file/paging file from the C: drive/partition to another drive/partition setting the C: drive to No Paging File and the new one to System Managed. I also have it set to System Managed on two of my three external drives.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

The crashes I have, usually are when using dForce honestly. the last one happened the other day when I worked on the Light in the Dark render, I tried to dForce the dog tags onto the candelabra.... didn't work so well lol

L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

Well, whenever I run into any issues, I go to Google and search using "site:www.daz3d.com/forums/" followed by relevant search terms. For example:

I imagine it helps a lot that I was in electronics for a couple of decades before going into website stuff, (design, maintenance, marketing, etc.) And repetition. I've looked up many of these things so many times, I now remember them without needing to use Google!

Daz released a third 4.11 beta a week ago, and I haven't installed it yet. I'm still using the second beta. Since I first picked up the 4.8 beta with Iray, I've kept both a beta and the previous release version installed. I use the beta most of the time, but drop back to the released version if something is "broken" in the beta. If my experience with the 4.11 beta is any indication, I think you'll like 4.11 when it's released.

@nonesuch00, you're scaring me. Are you saying the beta released last week fixes dForce problems with the version I'm still using? I've not experienced anything with dForce that I would call broken, so now I'm worried…!

It was only broken if you had older hardware that didn't support openCL 2.0, that is openCL 1.2 support in HW was broken, which is actually quite a lot of DAZ 3D customers that have older HW. 

Fishtales said:

I can't remember the last crash I had with either 4.10 or 4.11 Beta, the last one as I haven't rendered with the latest one yet.

Try moveing your virtual memory/swap file/paging file from the C: drive/partition to another drive/partition setting the C: drive to No Paging File and the new one to System Managed. I also have it set to System Managed on two of my three external drives.

I will try that if it becomes a problem again. Thanks.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

It was only broken if you had older hardware that didn't support openCL 2.0, that is openCL 1.2 support in HW was broken, which is actually quite a lot of DAZ 3D customers that have older HW. 

Actually it was broken for new harware as well.  I have a new laptop with the latest Geforce gtx 1060 and it wouldn't work.  Its fixed for me as well. I spent a lot of money on this laptop, and bought it specifially with Dforce in mind.  To say I was upset when the beta wouldn't work was probably an understatement.  Its working fine now though.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Fishtales said:

Wow!  Before lastweekend, I could have been in the same boat.  I hadn't had any crashes with 4.10 until I purchased and installed Brown Bear and Simtenero's Randomizer 2.  Since then, crashes are regular and I have even had two "fatal" crashes in which DS created zip files and instructed me to send them to support. =( 

@icedragonart  Are you down in Destin yet? Hopefully you're following the two invests and some models have one coming in exactly at Pensacola at the moment. Some models are saying Category 1 hurricane. The other one may hit the Florida peninsula. 

It's still an unbelievable 90 degrees here (99 real feel today) and the Gulf Of Mexico is downright HOT. Wind shear supposed to be low too. Anyway, if anyone lives in FL, AL, MS, LA, TX  go to tropicaltidbits.com and wunderground.com. The article that describes this mess is wunderground, and the models are tropicaltidbits.

• At one point today I was at 98.9 with a  feels like of 124

Down to 89 with a 102 feels like now

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

At one point today I was at 98.9 with a  feels like of 124

Down to 89 with a 102 feels like now

Wow! Robert, where are you?

• Harlingen Tex in the Rio Grande Valley just 11 miles North of Mexico

Harlingen Tex in the Rio Grande Valley just 11 miles North of Mexico

What's it like in the peak of summer? Is it dry like Phoenix or humid like Florida?

• It's humid here the coast is about 18 -20 miles East of me

edited October 2018

So you need to be keeping an eye on all this mess too. (Remember, FLORENCE wasn't going to impact the US coast....RIGHT.)  They're saying mid Gulf Coast states for one of the storms, that could easily switch to west since it's a 5 day out forecast. Supposed to hit Wednesday

Post edited by Novica on

We are here.  Hopefully will have the house done in another couple of days. It would be a total bummer if that hits here.  I will say its been smoking hot.  Been a nice bonus to be able to go to the pool or beach after working in the heat all day though lol.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Would love some advice from those of you who are more experienced with DS.  This guy needs a dryer sheet, he is experiencing too much static electricity. wink 

It is just a screen snip of mindless playing around in DS.

Capture.PNG
    761 x 925 - 638K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited October 2018

Yeah I keep an eye on the Gulf although so far nothings affected me here

When Houston got hit I had a full .03 in of rain 

However we had rain last month 16.75" here at my place but that was from a front that came out of the west

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    gitika1 said:

Would love some advice from those of you who are more experienced with DS.  This guy needs a dryer sheet, he is experiencing too much static electricity. wink 

It is just a screen snip of mindless playing around in DS.

Aw, how cute!

@icedragonart    Is it just you and hubby? You've lucked out on the rain, but this next week that is going to change I think. 

Okay, it is NOT HDRIs causing the problem. I used DA Real World LIghts (remember the Helena gallery image?)  and the danged studio crashed two times.  So it's not HDRI causing my problems at least. SO annoying. 

edited October 2018

Fiona HD (Gen8F)        Viola Braid (Gen8F)     dForce HD Wet And Dry  Baby Doll Outift (Gen8F)     Pixie Pretty Hair (Gen8F)    dForce Camo Chic Outfit (Gen8F) 

Fiona is very versatile, from a demure sweetheart to a quietly determined gal. The Camo Chic Outfit top has a bit of stretch between the breasts that I might possibly smooth a bit, this is shown out of the box. This is using the DA Real World Lighting  with a couple photometric rim lights and backlights added.

Fiona Viola Braid Baby Doll Dress.png
    400 x 800 - 430K
    Fiona Viola Braid Baby Doll Dress 2.png
    800 x 800 - 1020K
    fiona pixie pretty camo chic 2.png
    800 x 944 - 1M
    fiona pixie pretty camo chic.png
    647 x 795 - 551K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

@icedragonart    Is it just you and hubby? You've lucked out on the rain, but this next week that is going to change I think. 

Yes just the two of us.  It has been beautiful but really hot lol!  We should be done with the painting in the next couple of days so hopefully we will still get a few nice days to do some fun stuff.  And if it rains that's okay too as long as the house is done.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited October 2018
    Novica said:

I am SICK AND TIRED of Daz Studio crashing. It's just ridiculous the studio is SO faulty. I've had crashes on every render the past week.  I'm even getting to 100% render and it's crashing at the last few seconds. The closeup of the outfit is a fast screenshot before it crashed. I'm not doing many renders if this keeps happening, I am not sitting here babysitting and screenshotting before crashes. And NO, Save Last Render is grayed out as an option when the studio has crashed.  Bug reports are a waste of time, we have all reported this version is just awful over and over again. 

The last render (last Iray iteration) will be saved as r.png in the DS temp folder if DS crashes, but it will be deleted next time you open DS so you must grab a copy of it first if you want to keep it. This is a bit troublesome so I wrote a small app which will automatically copy the saved render to another folder first, so you have a backup, and then start DS.  

Just extract the zip to Desktop. Before using it you must configure it: keep Shift pressed when running it, to open the configuration window.

After that, if DS has crashed just run this app and if there is a saved render it will notify you and copy it to the backup folder before starting DS. Or use it to always start DS, it will do that whether there is a render to save or not.

http://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/rb-daz/RenderBackupDAZ-a0500.zip

ds_render_backup_config.png
    616 x 231 - 14K
    Post edited by Taoz on

@Novica, I don't remember you complaining about DS continually crashing with your old computer. Could it be something in the drivers of your new laptop that is not correct or that is conflicting? DS doesn't crash for me while rendering. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    barbult said:

@Novica, I don't remember you complaining about DS continually crashing with your old computer. Could it be something in the drivers of your new laptop that is not correct or that is conflicting? DS doesn't crash for me while rendering. 

No, it's pretty stable for me too, though I rarely use large HDRIs (I usually use the DS default HDRI).

I suspect though that people often think that DS has crashed when it goes into "Not responding" mode for a long time (sometimes several minutes) but that's not always the case. If you wait it may very well come alive again.

I use large 16K HDRIs all the time. They have not caused me problems I have a GTX 980Ti graphics card.  I think Novica has a better, more recent card than that.

This discussion has been closed.