Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited September 2018

Harper HD (Gen8F)       Barbarian Warrior Outfit (Gen8F)       Ellisea Hair (Gen3/8F) 

A few things about this hair-  even with X scale, it still seems thin down the strands. DO go into Scene as this hair has many morphs for the bending, per section. For a scraggly looking hair (hate to put it hat way, but that's what it is) the Ellisea Hair is perfect. Wanted to show you the materials on the BarbarianWarrior Outfit, they're quite nice. And Harper, well, it's Mousso, enough said. I love the moisture of the lips, it's just enough without being a glossy mess. 

Okay @icedragonart   here's the dForce 90's Girl Dress (Gen8F)   and Textures    Miranda Hair (Gen3/8F)   

First I did it without the dForce or tweaking it whatsoever, notice the awkward hang. Then I applied dForce, and got an interesting message, don't know if this will help you. "Execution kernels have not been compiled for 1080. Would you like to compile now?"  I clicked yes, it took about 10 seconds, then it did the simulation. So I don't know how you would check the execution kernels but perhaps that is your computer's hangup. 

Harper BarbarianOutfit ElliseaHr.png
    605 x 677 - 514K
    Harper FULL.png
    300 x 600 - 456K
    Harper FULL2.png
    300 x 600 - 395K
    Harper 90s Girl Dress2.png
    500 x 600 - 638K
    Harper 90s Girl Dress.png
    300 x 600 - 357K
    Harper 90s Girl Dress3.png
    332 x 599 - 397K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2018
    Novica said:
    First I did it without the dForce or tweaking it whatsoever, notice the awkward hang. Then I applied dForce, and got an interesting message, don't know if this will help you. "Execution kernels have not been compiled for 1080. Would you like to compile now?"  I clicked yes, it took about 10 seconds, then it did the simulation. So I don't know how you would check the execution kernels but perhaps that is your computer's hangup.

This message comes up when there are changes on your computer, like updating the video card driver. (I think it happens whenever you update DS, as well.) Anyway, it sounds like this is the first time you've used dForce with the new laptop.

ETA: Love Harper. Like almost any Mousso gal I don't already have, she is on my wishlist. You make the warrior outfit look good. I may have to get the Olympia 8 bundle sooner rather than later! Also, I know how much you like tempting us to spend our money, so you will be happy to know, I've now added the dress to my wishlist!
    laugh

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2018

Yes this is the message I get every time.  I can't use Dforce in the Beta at all because I get the same message over and over, it fails when I hit yes. I hsould add that I am not the only one who is having this issue

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • EtaminEtamin Posts: 126
    L'Adair said:
    Etamin said:
    L'Adair said:
    MelanieL said:
    MelanieL said:

By the way, KA is up to his usual, working on a new product that gets amazing results. Take a look at this image he posted on DA: Iray Storm. Hard to believe those effects were rendered!

Thanks for the heads up @L'Adair  I am trying to wishlist it, but that doesn't seem to be working yet wink  The image on DA looks fantastic.

I'm sorry if I mislead you, @Etamin. Iray Storm is still in development. In the description for the image, KA states: "I'm working hard on optimization this time around, i don't want those GPU's melting" I have no idea when it will actually be released.

@Ladair I am afraid that I misled you!  It was my poor attempt at humour - I already want to wishlist it before it has been released smiley

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited September 2018

Last week I used the catch-up sale to get Fluidos, another interesting physics simulator. It took a little bit to understand how it works but there is a good PDF available that walks you through creating a test scene and what the interface looks like. There's basically 3 parts: a domain which is a cubic boundary within which the simulation takes place, a fluid choice (can be objects like a sphere or it can be a Fluidos source/sink object that creates a steady flow of fluid), and a "mesher" that displays on the timeline the results of a simulation (the results are usually kept hidden during a simulation to save memory/time). I've done a few simulations now and think it's a keeper. I have a number of ideas to try out with it. Below is an animated gif of one simulation. There's a Fluidos source (the small upper cube) with an upward water flow with a 100 velocity. The water splashes out against the wall of the "domain", and as I did not include a sink, it builds up in the bottom of the domain. The simulation runs for 1.5 rendered minutes (the actual simulation time was under 10 minutes). I used an Iray water shader from Sickle Yield's Rigged Water Iray 2

(click on image to repeat)

Post edited by RGcincy on

That is so impressive @rgcincy !!!  You have remarkable determination. I would have given up. It looks amazing.

Thanks! I think Sickle Yield's shader makes a big difference too. After I learn a bit more, I'm going to try for a moving stream in a landscape.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Wow, @RGcincy -- that Fluidos anim looks so... fluid.  I was sort of interested but not convinced by the promo images for the product, afraid that the results in motion would be clumsy and and/or with unrealistic droplets or separate visible particles like the physics sim product's promo images but this demonstration of yours looks wonderful.  Now I'm def wanting Fluidos!  smiley
       ~ Gen

• NathNath Posts: 2,727

Finally got the Toon Parrot - that beast's been in and out of my cart so many times, it's a miracle it's not seasick...

parrots.png
    1675 x 881 - 1M
    edited September 2018

FWSA Rosalie (Gen8F)       dForce Lilikh Outfit And Weapons (Gen8F)    Plane Easy Atmospheres    Special FX for Daz Studio     Abandoned  Event Complex

The Abandoned Event Complex has really nice details, with the glass and debris littering everything. You'll like it for those depressing background scenes.

The scene is lit with Dumor's Iray HDRI Apocalyptic Plant Indors Set 2  which is probably my favorite out of all indoor lighting options. I used the corridor one, which gives you muted, even light so the special effects would take center stage. About those. Wow, took some fiddling to put both of them together, and what you see in the viewport and even with the Iray view in the viewport- you get something really different in the render.  Here's a screenshot of the render in progress and what's in the viewport:

Took two hours of adjusting so I'm going to speed you along with a few settings to try. This of course only works if you use the same lights I did, or something similar, with the same render settings. The exposure value was 10.91 and ISO 135. I left crush blacks and burn highlights at default. 

When you are tweaking the FX effects, be sure FX is selected in Scene. Turn down the Cutout Opacity to .0088 and work up from there. (Mine is .0088)  Be careful with the plane touching the floor, it leaves a distinct line. Use Y scale to shorten it. 

The PEA plane (Plane Easy Atmospheres) depending on the camera angle, you might not see color changes you made. Tilt and move your camera  a tad if you're not seeing a difference. Just put in different colors in the Surface pane for anything that lets you do colors and see if you like the results. Color (light areas) is the main one I saw a difference with.  You're looking for Density Main Thick--Thin for the opacity. Mine was at 0.24  (I'd go up to .35 if you want it more noticeable, and go up from there.)

These two products really complement each other. 
    And of course, a closeup of the outfit so you can see the textures.
    The entire set was left on for the renders, as was the outfit:
    Titan render times: full length render: 25%   6:40   1021 iterations      85%   15:20   2864 iterations    DONE  21:48   4231 iterations
    Closeup: Done 28:45    4250 iterations

Rosalie Lilikh Outfit Messy Side Bun .png
    588 x 836 - 1M
    Rosalie Lilikh Outfit Messy Side Bun 2.png
    750 x 900 - 1M
    ViewportAndRender.jpg
    550 x 338 - 45K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Nath said:

Finally got the Toon Parrot - that beast's been in and out of my cart so many times, it's a miracle it's not seasick...

Aw, congrats! He's a real cutie. 

Speaking of special effects, take a peek at Dracorn's gallery image and share some love :)  Queen of the Dark has some awesome glow and colors going on. 

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Novica said:

Speaking of special effects, take a peek at Dracorn's gallery image and share some love :)  Queen of the Dark has some awesome glow and colors going on. 

Awwe, shucks.  Thanks Novica!

I really like your lighting.  I've not made use of the HDRI's with full 360 degree environements (other than skies) - is the lighting the same with Draw Dome off?  I like the lighting from the Iray HDRI Apocalyptic Plant Indors Set 2, but don't have a use for that sort of environment.  

genaris said:

Wow, @RGcincy -- that Fluidos anim looks so... fluid.  I was sort of interested but not convinced by the promo images for the product, afraid that the results in motion would be clumsy and and/or with unrealistic droplets or separate visible particles like the physics sim product's promo images but this demonstration of yours looks wonderful.  Now I'm def wanting Fluidos!  smiley
       ~ Gen

Thanks Gen. If you get it, I found the anisotropic mode gave better results.

That was done with Draw Dome ON but you can't see the scenery. I just forgot to turn it off :)  TBH I usually just leave the dome on, so can someone answer that question-is lighting the same when domes are turned off?

Novica said:

That was done with Draw Dome ON but you can't see the scenery. I just forgot to turn it off :)  TBH I usually just leave the dome on, so can someone answer that question-is lighting the same when domes are turned off?

Yes. If you're using an HDRI in either the Dome and Scene or Dome Only mode, the lighting is the same whether or not Draw Dome is On.

Thanks!  I knew that at some point but had a DUH. 

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    RGcincy said:
    genaris said:

If you get it, I found the anisotropic mode gave better results.

Thanks for the tip, @RGcincy !     :)

Novica said:

Thanks!  I knew that at some point but had a DUH. 

You're welcome.  (And we all have those moments. Especially with DS. There is just so much to remember!)

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    Novica said:

@novica Cool, as I have the Plane Easy Atmospheres  in my cart.  I've been doing something similar with  the https://www.daz3d.com/iray-envirocam. Very cool to setup but like you mentioned varying the camera angles will help a lot. 

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and experiment with animation. After reviewing all the programs, I went with Moho 12 Pro. I'm such a slow, meticulous learner. It's taken me an hour and a half just to do a cartoon hill and sky with clouds. They all have gradients though LOL. Anyone else try Moho 12 Pro? 

• Novica, can you try the claws that come with Lilikh outfit?  I tried them.  They look good, but when I moved my character, they did not stay paired with the character.  It could be something I'm doing wrong.  

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    MelanieL said:
    MelanieL said:

They were added to DS4 back in March, when they appeared in my DIM so I downloaded and installed them. I noticed they are showing up as updates today, but no clue why.

I'm well behind everyone at noticing something ... as usual :-)

Hmm, slightly odd. The texture files have been reduced from 4096x4096 to 3000x3000. I wonder why? (Maybe it's just for the benefit of people who find file sizes a problem in Iray, but I'm surprised they didn't add lower-res textures as an additional option like some of the recent PC+ ones have done).

I agree. I'm going to save a copy of the old file. If I ever should start producing content I'll include both low and high res textures.

Another thing I find annoying is when hiding straps and other "addons" on clothes, the texture underneath is edited so it looks different. I know there is a reason for that, but then they could at least include the original unedited clothing texture for those who would like to hide those things.

Novica said:

Sounds nice

Personally I can't stand Cortana and wish Microsoft wouldn't force her on us

They don't, you can disable her together with a lot of other things when installing Windows, and won't hear a word from her after that.

• Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

They don't, you can disable her together with a lot of other things when installing Windows, and won't hear a word from her after that.

Only partialy you can stop her from talking but she still runs and uses resources as she's integrated into various other programs and functions that you can't disable

Novica, can you try the claws that come with Lilikh outfit?  I tried them.  They look good, but when I moved my character, they did not stay paired with the character.  It could be something I'm doing wrong.  

Sure Give me a few. I think I saved it as a Scene, if not I'll reload everything.

@worldsedge    They work fine when I click on the collarbone, forearms, etc- they moved the claws with the arms/hands. 

edited September 2018
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

Only partialy you can stop her from talking but she still runs and uses resources as she's integrated into various other programs and functions that you can't disable

Yea, I know, but as long as it's inactive it's practically nothing. And if you use features that uses it, that would use resources anyway. Here's what is uses on my system when it's idle:

cortana_resources.png
    692 x 309 - 20K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,280
    edited September 2018
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

Yea, I know, but as long as it's inactive it's practically nothing. And if you use features that uses it, that would use resources anyway. Here's what is uses on my system when it's idle:

No choice on features it uses as it's tied to  search, file explorer, desktop manager and all administrative functions

Info comes from Microsoft Insiders and testers program group

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited September 2018
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

No choice on features it uses as it's tied to  search, file explorer, desktop manager and all administrative functions

Info comes from Microsoft Insiders and testers program group

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean it uses a lot of resources, especially not when it's disabled (whatever that implies). But I guess only Microsoft has the data, and they may not want to reveal them.

Post edited by Taoz on
This discussion has been closed.