Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

Personally I can't stand Cortana and wish Microsoft wouldn't force her on us

They don't, you can disable her together with a lot of other things when installing Windows, and won't hear a word from her after that.

Only partialy you can stop her from talking but she still runs and uses resources as she's integrated into various other programs and functions that you can't disable

Yea, I know, but as long as it's inactive it's practically nothing. And if you use features that uses it, that would use resources anyway. Here's what is uses on my system when it's idle:

No choice on features it uses as it's tied to  search, file explorer, desktop manager and all administrative functions

Info comes from Microsoft Insiders and testers program group

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean it uses a lot of resources, especially not when it's disabled (whatever that implies). But I guess only Microsoft has the data, and they may not want to reveal them.

True

My nehew's a tester on the insider program he told me that him and several others found out that if Cortana crashes the only thing you can do is a complete clean reinstall of Win 10

• Novica said:

@worldsedge    They work fine when I click on the collarbone, forearms, etc- they moved the claws with the arms/hands. 

So when you change her pose, using a preset pose, the claws stay on her?  Then I don't know what is wrong with mine.  I

'll re-load/try again later.  Thanks for checking.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I didn't check a preset pose, I just checked the drag and click the body itself. If it works for that, I would think it means the clothes vendor did everything right. It may be something in the pose preset?  Try just clicking on her body and see if the claws follow. I'm headed to bed but I'll try a pose preset tomorrow for you. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Novica said:

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and experiment with animation. After reviewing all the programs, I went with Moho 12 Pro. I'm such a slow, meticulous learner. It's taken me an hour and a half just to do a cartoon hill and sky with clouds. They all have gradients though LOL. Anyone else try Moho 12 Pro? 

I have Moho 12 Pro. I 1st bought with Anime Studio 7 Pro and learned it by doing probably the best tutorial for any software I've ever bought.  I haven't did an animation though in a while.

• Taoz said:

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean it uses a lot of resources, especially not when it's disabled (whatever that implies). But I guess only Microsoft has the data, and they may not want to reveal them.

The question shouldn't be about the resource use. Instead, why does it have to run at all? What is it doing 'behind the scenes'? My guess is it's adding to your data profile that Microsoft is collecting.

I'm sorry @Novica for the possible derailment...

Omen

@omen   Not a problem. This is a chatty thread :) 

I'm really loving Moho 12 Pro. I bought two videos from Udemy and it's a breeze to follow along and do, in additoin to the tutorial that comes with the studio. There's a 30 day free trial, and in the Udemy course, he mentions getting the trial and it has a 50% off coupon. I think that's at the end of trial though, and I don't know if that includes a DVD, which I always want to have. If I pay that much money I don't rely on companies providing me with the program in case something happens.

Some companies stop providing back releases after a certain time (Corel, for one, FIlter Forge is another)  So I went with 38% off (saved 138.00) and an Ebay seller who provides the DVD. IIRC I've paid $20 or more when buying programs to get the DVD, and the seller had free shipping so I'm satisfied with the bottom line cost. The Pro is $400 but with the discount it came to $248 for the DVD edition.  In case anyone is interested, the seller has a few more copies available (DVDs)  They have a 97% approval rating (3,700 items sold or more, can't remember exactly)  so that's an awesome rating , and they shipped my copy out the very next day. PM me if you want Moho 12 Pro and can't find that seller.  I know it's still expensive but if you're going to do animation, Moho 12 Pro is easy to learn and actually fun to use (which is important to me. I don't want to be frustrated doing it.)  

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited September 2018
    Novica said:

I'm really loving Moho 12 Pro. I bought two videos from Udemy and it's a breeze to follow along and do, in additoin to the tutorial that comes with the studio. There's a 30 day free trial, and in the Udemy course, he mentions getting the trial and it has a 50% off coupon. I think that's at the end of trial though, and I don't know if that includes a DVD, which I always want to have. If I pay that much money I don't rely on companies providing me with the program in case something happens.

Some companies stop providing back releases after a certain time (Corel, for one, FIlter Forge is another)  So I went with 38% off (saved 138.00) and an Ebay seller who provides the DVD. IIRC I've paid $20 or more when buying programs to get the DVD, and the seller had free shipping so I'm satisfied with the bottom line cost. The Pro is $400 but with the discount it came to $248 for the DVD edition.  In case anyone is interested, the seller has a few more copies available (DVDs)  They have a 97% approval rating (3,700 items sold or more, can't remember exactly)  so that's an awesome rating , and they shipped my copy out the very next day. PM me if you want Moho 12 Pro and can't find that seller.  I know it's still expensive but if you're going to do animation, Moho 12 Pro is easy to learn and actually fun to use (which is important to me. I don't want to be frustrated doing it.)  

Yes, I was reasonably competent 24 hours later with Moho Pro just doing the included PDF tutorial. It was very easy to use and like you say, fun too. I'll never be able to say that with DAZ Studio! laugh

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Regarding the claws, they appear to be parented in place.  I had to parent to the hand for it to stay in place.  Is that how it should be, or is it something I should ticket?  It's not a big deal.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Regarding the claws, they appear to be parented in place.  I had to parent to the hand for it to stay in place.  Is that how it should be, or is it something I should ticket?  It's not a big deal.

I don't have that particular product, but I do have many products that come with hand-held weapons. Loading those weapons to work with one hand or the other always parents the weapon to the hand, so I'm pretty sure the claws are supposed to be parented to the hands.

• Ok, I'll put a ticket in then.  I tried with two separate characters so I think it isn't me, for once :)  Thanks L'adair.

• I love Marcius' characters and picked up Zux.  I rendered her in human form and in alien form, not realizing there was a third option, black elf too!  Great character(s).  Really, I was testing the Fast Production Lights, and must say they are wonderful.  One click solutions are always great finds, for me, and these work beautifully.  First render is out of the box, second is "optional lights," and the third, I used the cool tones settings.  The product also has one click options for turning the dome on/off, or turning it it by various degrees, toning lights, ground on/off, etc.  I haven't explored everything yet but I can tell it is going to be very useful to me.  Clothing and hair used in renders:  Paige braides, Riona hair, Gemini warrior outfit & Mischievious nymph outfit.

(I don't recall which tones I selected for this last one).

zux - no lighting.jpg
    1416 x 1600 - 1M
    zux 2 w fp lights -load lights optional.jpg
    1408 x 1600 - 1M
    zux 2 w lights 2 - render settings cold tone.jpg
    1416 x 1600 - 1M
    Zux black elf .jpg
    852 x 1600 - 427K

@worldsedge   Zux looks good! I like the Optional Lights the best, they really bring out the shimmer of the outfit. 
    Sorry I didn't get to your question, other than watching the Princess Bedroom bounce back and forth off the store, I haven't been online (that was this morning/early afternoon.) I'm going to be playing with Moho a lot to help my son with his video games, his animator got hurt in a car accident and of course, it was her arms/hands. We need to start doing this in-house anyway so I'm taking over part of it and prioritizing it. I'll still be rendering things but not online as much this week. 

• No worries!  Sounds like a fun project, learning new software.  At about the same time I got into Daz, I got anime studio.  Then I got hooked on Daz, and anime studio kind of sat on the shelf, even though I had the udemy courses lined up.  Maybe I'll look into it, you inspired me, lol

LOL on the Princess Bedroom.  Just caught up on that thread.  I have no problem with using stock photos to promo a non-figure 3d product.  The Mickey Mouse might have been an issue though. 

No worries!  Sounds like a fun project, learning new software.  At about the same time I got into Daz, I got anime studio.  Then I got hooked on Daz, and anime studio kind of sat on the shelf, even though I had the udemy courses lined up.  Maybe I'll look into it, you inspired me, lol

LOL on the Princess Bedroom.  Just caught up on that thread.  I have no problem with using stock photos to promo a non-figure 3d product.  The Mickey Mouse might have been an issue though. 

Several years ago, a group of students from the University of Oregon made a music video, I Love My Ducks, with the school mascot throughout. The problem was, the Duck had been licensed from Disney. Yes, our mascot was originally Donald Duck! The video was pulled down for copyright infringement. Over the weeks that followed, Disney and the UofO came to an agreement that after all these years, the mascot was no longer Donald, signed papers to that effect, and the students were allowed to put their video back up.

Disney takes their copyrights and trademarks very, very seriously!

I'm sure the product will be back up, as soon as the PA can replace the problematic promos.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

They don't, you can disable her together with a lot of other things when installing Windows, and won't hear a word from her after that.

Only partialy you can stop her from talking but she still runs and uses resources as she's integrated into various other programs and functions that you can't disable

Yea, I know, but as long as it's inactive it's practically nothing. And if you use features that uses it, that would use resources anyway. Here's what is uses on my system when it's idle:

No choice on features it uses as it's tied to  search, file explorer, desktop manager and all administrative functions

True

My nehew's a tester on the insider program he told me that him and several others found out that if Cortana crashes the only thing you can do is a complete clean reinstall of Win 10

Sounds like som really bad programming.

• Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

Sounds nice

True

Sounds like som really bad programming.

Yeah and worse yet he says Microsoft ignores most of what they keep telling them is a problem

7thOmen said:
    Taoz said:

The question shouldn't be about the resource use. Instead, why does it have to run at all? What is it doing 'behind the scenes'? My guess is it's adding to your data profile that Microsoft is collecting.

There are many other Windows processes which could easily be disabled on most systems. I think one of the reasons people are mad at Cortana is that it's so visible, when it's enabled. All the other stuff isn't something you normally notice.

Besides, when it is disabled I think it really is, except for in the local Search function which will not work if you kill Cortana. I've never noticed it in any other context.

As for Cortana collecting data that can be turned off, and the already collected data can even be erased:

https://www.howtogeek.com/282512/HOW-TO-CLEAR-CORTANAS-SEARCH-HISTORY-IN-WINDOWS-10/

There are also many third party programs that start processes when you boot up, for different reasons. I have almost 300 non-OS related startup entries, but have disabled many of them as they are not really necessary. Anvir Task Manager (free) can list all these processes and it will tell you what the process does, what program it belongs to, and whether it can be safely disabled.

• On disabiling Cortana when you do the only thing it disables is the speech

She's tied into Edge and Bing for web searches as well as the office apps from Microsoft and to command functions such as print, delete, open etc

edited September 2018

Just been testing Long Grass - Essential Grassland Flowers and Plants - looks pretty good IMO, and renders fast.

Long_Grass__Essential_Grassland_Flowers _and_Plants_01.png
    1504 x 933 - 2M
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • Nice I picked that up but haven't even installed it yet

Taoz said:

Just been testing Long Grass - Essential Grassland Flowers and Plants - looks pretty good IMO, and renders fast.

I picked this up, too, along with several other plant/flower products. I was most disappointed when his store wasn't included as a Featured Artist with the resulting discounts. I wasn't going to buy, but Daz finally added his store late in the day. (I love Martin's plants. and now have alomst all of those he's released for Daz Studio!)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Taoz said:

They do look good - thanks for sharing the render.

edited September 2018

Martin's stuff always rocks :) 

Wanted to share the link- a seal literally slaps a kayaker in the face with....wait for it- an OCTOPUS. 

I've been offline today because the trainer at the barn had to put her horse to sleep at 1am this morning, and the burial was this afternoon. SO angry, the county sends the backhoes to dig/bury the horses, and they were told the owner would be there at 1:30 this afternoon, and couldn't make it before then as she had to leave work.  The barn owner was at her house and she went with the horse owner down to the boarder's barn for the burial- and the (expletive) county workers had come early (1:10p) and already buried the horse, not waiting on the owner so she could say her last goodbyes. Whether she wanted to see her horse buried or not (I don't, I wanted to remember Nova as he was for example)  they took that choice away from her. Pal was 27 or 28 years old, but it was sudden. He was fine a few days ago. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Saw the seal video last night and it's hilarious

That was wrong for the county workers to do that

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Novica said:

Wanted to share the link- a seal literally slaps a kayaker in the face with....wait for it- an OCTOPUS. 

I've been offline today because the trainer at the barn had to put her horse to sleep at 1am this morning, and the burial was this afternoon. SO angry, the county sends the backhoes to dig/bury the horses, and they were told the owner would be there at 1:30 this afternoon, and couldn't make it before then as she had to leave work.  The barn owner was at her house and she went with the horse owner down to he boarder's barn for the burial- and the (expletive) county workers had come early (1:10p) and already buried the horse, not waiting on the owner so she could say her last goodbyes. Whether she wanted to see her horse buried or not (I don't, I wanted to remember Nova as he was for example)  they took that choice away from her. Pal was 27 or 28 years old, but it was sudden. He was fine a few days ago. 

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes people make me wonder if anyone listens or cares to do their job well.

On disabiling Cortana when you do the only thing it disables is the speech

She's tied into Edge and Bing for web searches as well as the office apps from Microsoft and to command functions such as print, delete, open etc

Well I haven't noticed it at all and as long as it isn't getting in the way I'm okay with it. I don't think it uses a lot of resources when it's disabled.

Novica said:

I've been offline today because the trainer at the barn had to put her horse to sleep at 1am this morning, and the burial was this afternoon. SO angry, the county sends the backhoes to dig/bury the horses, and they were told the owner would be there at 1:30 this afternoon, and couldn't make it before then as she had to leave work.  The barn owner was at her house and she went with the horse owner down to he boarder's barn for the burial- and the (expletive) county workers had come early (1:10p) and already buried the horse, not waiting on the owner so she could say her last goodbyes. Whether she wanted to see her horse buried or not (I don't, I wanted to remember Nova as he was for example)  they took that choice away from her. Pal was 27 or 28 years old, but it was sudden. He was fine a few days ago. 

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes people make me wonder if anyone listens or cares to do their job well.

Things are going so fast these days and people are supposed to be so cost-effective and productive that even if they want to do their job well they often don't have the time to do it.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

I posted some rare genesis 8 couple poses in the freebie section if anyone is interested     https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/280451/5-free-genesis-8-couples-pose-presets

Thanks for letting us know. :) Those look quite nice.

Anyone using Moho Pro 12 who has paint bucket issues, here's a video showing where all those extra lines are coming from- it's the stupid paint bucket! 

This discussion has been closed.