Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

@barbult

I was able to create a polyline, import it into the beta, and see it displayed. The way I did it was to create a 30 sided cube in Silo, then use an edge tool to draw a line by selecting various vertices on the cube, then selected and eliminated all the faces leaving just the line. I then exported the line as an obj file, opened it in notepad and added a final line:

l 1 2 3 ... 13 1    (lower case L to start and then the 13 vertices I had created, the 1 at the end closes the loop)

The attached image shows the polyline inside the box. I would think you could do something similar in Blender.

I can add a dynamic surface add-on modifier, but since I don't know what I'm doing, it has no effect on the collapse of the box which has a dynamic modifier on it.

polyline.jpg
    579 x 607 - 50K
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Hi, wanted to make some things clear.. I don't update DAZ on my weaker laptop, there is no dforce there. However i wanted to ask, will dforce-related item crush it / be unable to open, or it would open but without dynamics etc

?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited September 2018
    akmerlow said:

Hi, wanted to make some things clear.. I don't update DAZ on my weaker laptop, there is no dforce there. However i wanted to ask, will dforce-related item crush it / be unable to open, or it would open but without dynamics etc

?

It should open, and in most cases it should fit to the target figure (though bear in mind that the later Genesises themselves have minimum version requirements). How acceptable the results may be will depend on the item.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

I don't have deforce working even though I have the lastest build and all the deforce items I have all work as rigged clothing, so far. :)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

The change log for DS version 4.11 hasn't had an update to dForce in quite some time, when build 1.1.0.82 was added to the 3rd Public Beta. Recently, this entry was added to what I expect will eventually be the 5th public beta:

• Source maintenance
    • Update to dForce 1.1.0.142
    • Updated default menus; recommend clicking Window > Workspace > Update and Merge Menus action

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.289

That's 60 increments in the dForce build! I'm trying not to get too excited for what that means when the next beta is released.

Regardless, it's encouraging to see Daz has been hard at work on dForce, and the lack of dForce updates in the DS change log was not due to a lack of development on dForce.

I just noticed another entry in the beta change log:

• Source maintenance
    • Update to dForce 1.1.0.146

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.291

smiley

edited February 2019

And… a couple more entries in the beta change log!

• Source maintenance
    • Update to dForce 1.1.0.153

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.296

• Source maintenance
    • Update to dForce 1.1.0.157

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.299

I am so ready for the next beta release!

Post edited by L'Adair on

Sometime this past week:

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.161

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.303

and

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.162

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.305

(The beta is currently at build number 4.11.0.305)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Hmmm, I wonder what all these updates do? Guess we'll find out if they are just bug fixes or new features.

Sometime in the past few days:

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.164

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.309

and

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.165

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.311

(The beta is currently at build number 4.11.0.311)

RGcincy said:

Hmmm, I wonder what all these updates do? Guess we'll find out if they are just bug fixes or new features.

That's a lot of bug fixes! (My guess is some of both. I wish there was a public Change Log for dForce!)

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Does the latest beta still require an application restart when a dForce simulation fails? 

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2019
    y3kman said:

Does the latest beta still require an application restart when a dForce simulation fails? 

I’m using the beta and haven’t had to restart on a simulation failure.

Post edited by Leonides02 on

Yesterday or today, (don't recall if I checked yesterday, even though I think I did,)

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.169

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.313

and

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.170

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.315

(The beta is currently at build number 4.11.0.316)

y3kman said:

I haven't had to. And dForce doesn't fail for me very often. Keep in mind, I'm using a GTX 1080 to do the simulation, and I have a lot more system RAM than most people would think necessary, (64GB.) I don't know if the RAM helps with dForce. I got it to help with Catalyzer, thanks to the greedy Windows page file.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    L'Adair said:

Yesterday or today, (don't recall if I checked yesterday, even though I think I did,)

and

y3kman said:

I haven't had to. And dForce doesn't fail for me very often. Keep in mind, I'm using a GTX 1080 to do the simulation, and I have a lot more system RAM than most people would think necessary, (64GB.) I don't know if the RAM helps with dForce. I got it to help with Catalyzer, thanks to the greedy Windows page file.

You just made me drool in my mind.  I have  Core2Duo, with both cores running at 3.0 GHz, only 8GB RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT with 1GB RAM (system properties says 3071GB shared system memory).  I found out once, but I can't remember how, that it has only 8 cores, not hundreds or thousands like some of the newer ones.

Dana

edited March 2019
    DanaTA said:
    L'Adair said:

and

y3kman said:

You just made me drool in my mind.  I have  Core2Duo, with both cores running at 3.0 GHz, only 8GB RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 9500 GT with 1GB RAM (system properties says 3071GB shared system memory).  I found out once, but I can't remember how, that it has only 8 cores, not hundreds or thousands like some of the newer ones.

Dana

I assume you mean the video card and Cuda cores. The specs I found show 32. Not any help with Iray, either way.

I bought The Beast in Oct, 2016, with plans to add another GTX once the computer was paid off. About the time I went looking for another card, the cryptominers were buying up everything in sight, and the price skyrocketed. It came down for a very short time, then Nvidia released the RTX series. Now the same card as the one I have is almost double what it was before the cryptomining craze.

Now I'm looking at an RTX 2080, and wondering if the two will play nice in the same system. Not that it matters, I guess, as I won't be able to buy any video card any time soon.
    sad

Post edited by L'Adair on

Thanks for that link and info, L'Adair!  Well, 32 is better than 8, which is better than none!  I've done a little bit of iRay, but not a lot.  One of my promo renders, the main one, for my Christmas for the Baby Luna Sleeper was done in iRay.  It looks pretty good, and it didn't take hours.  https://www.dana-anderson.com/FreeProduct.aspx?pid=36

Dana

DanaTA said:

Thanks for that link and info, L'Adair!  Well, 32 is better than 8, which is better than none!  I've done a little bit of iRay, but not a lot.  One of my promo renders, the main one, for my Christmas for the Baby Luna Sleeper was done in iRay.  It looks pretty good, and it didn't take hours.  https://www.dana-anderson.com/FreeProduct.aspx?pid=36

Dana

Aaawww! That's so cute!

L'Adair said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Aaawww! That's so cute!

Thanks.  I don't want to hijack this thread.  For dForce, will my lowly card be enough?  Or will it take days to do a drape?

Dana

DanaTA said:
    L'Adair said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

Aaawww! That's so cute!

Thanks.  I don't want to hijack this thread.  For dForce, will my lowly card be enough?  Or will it take days to do a drape?

Dana

The simulation uses OpenCL, not Iray, so it's not dependent on your video card. You'll need to install an OpenCL driver. A current driver for your 9500 GT should have it integrated. You can probably find and install one for the CPU, as wekk, (but I didn't bother.) A quick and mind-numbing search on Google suggests CUDA cores will increase the speed of OpenCL, but to what extent when simulating with dForce, I have no idea.

Downloaded CPU-Z and ran it.  Still can't see if I have OpenCL installed.  But I looked at the display adapter properties in Windows, and OpenCL.dll was listed in the installed software for the card.  And cuda was in there, so I guess my card does some nice things.  To a lesser degree than a 1080, of course...much lesser, I'm sure.

Dana

I've been falling down on the job. There were updates to the Change Log last week that included

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.176

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.320

and today the last entry added to the Change Log:

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.180

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.11.0.324

(The beta is currently at build number 4.11.0.324)

Over in the "Genesis 9" thread, DAZ_Steve popped in with a rare appearance, and an even more rare peek into what's on the horizon with Daz Studio. If you missed it, this is what he said:

DAZ_Steve said:

Okay, so I know we tend to be very close lipped on most upcoming things, but I will tell you this: Genesis 8 currently has the features that we need from a figure base, and to provide for the various things we intend to release this year.  As such Genesis 9 is definitely not slated for 2019.  We do however, have a lot of other cool stuff that will be releasing in Q2-Q4.  Watch, you'll start to see a lot of new functionality in content and Studio itself over the next several months that will let you do a lot of things with Genesis 8 that you haven't been able to.  

There were folks that were disappointed to hear G9 isn't releasing soon, and just as many that were relieved. (I'm one of the latter.) But regardless of that debate, it's been quite some time since the last beta was released, (probably feels longer than it's been,) and there are numerous changes mentioned in the Change Log. I've also read that Change Log doesn't contain everything. Makes ya' wonder what the developers have been up to!

Q2 officially starts in a few days, on April 1st, so we should be seeing a new beta drop any time now… Testers will need to have the beta for a while before 4.11 is released. Of course, "Q2-Q4" could also mean we'll get all of the cool stuff at once, sometime between now and the end of the year! lol

Anyway, I really appreciate the official word from DAZ_Steve, cryptic as it is. I've been really looking forward to see what changes in dForce Daz has in store for us. And now I'm excited and impatient to see what other new toys, (excuse me, new tools,) Daz is bringing out this year.

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    L'Adair said:

Anyway, I really appreciate the official word from DAZ_Steve, cryptic as it is. I've been really looking forward to see what changes in dForce Daz has in store for us. And now I'm excited and impatient to see what other new toys, (excuse me, new tools,) Daz is bringing out this year.

If they add something like bullet physics I'd probably lose my mind in excitement lol. 

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

The answer is likely already out there somewhere, but rather than read through dozens of pages to find what might not be there, I'm hoping someone can lead me to the answer ...

I haven't tried using dforce yet. So maybe this isn't even a thing ... but I know I ran into problems when trying to drape some conforming clothes with DCC. I don't know how to 'sew' or 'weld' seams of clothing in Hex. And I'm not willing to learn Hex just to learn that one thing. does dforce also require that knowledge so clothes don't fall apart during drape?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Yes, dForce needs clothes to be welded

Leana said:

Yes, dForce needs clothes to be welded

OK ... Knowing I don't want to study hours of hex tutorial just to learn one trick, do you know of any tutorial that just shows how to weld conforming garments?

Another novice question ... will dforce drape poser-dynamic garments?

I believe it was said that they will work.  They are simply props, not conforming items.  At least, I think that's what I've read.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dana

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

It often works well on them yes.

Leana said:

It often works well on them yes.

Awesome ... Now I just need to figure out dforce, lol.