[Updated to V1.3 - now MacOS support] FLUIDOS: a fluids simulator plugin for Daz Studio (commercial)

Comments

• MouserMouser Posts: 675
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

OK, could you send me your scene to take a look at?

Did you run any of the included scenes?, if nor, try one, please.

Attached my copy of Tutorial 1

Your .duf file is right, I can run.

From your logs, it seems that there is a problem with OpenCL.

Is updated your driver card?, if not, please, do it.

Is dForce working well in your system?

Havnt actualy used Dforce so I'll give it a try & update tonight.

Thanks

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

Thanks

OK.

Let me know what happens.

• Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    CGI3DM said:

For everyone, I would like to know, how long it takes, to complete the sample simulations "Fluids Scene 1" and "Fluids Scene 2" (File Logs Total time: 753.156) . And your equipment specifications. (default settings).
    Thanks

Set up Tutorial 1 as per video.

Started to run the simulation but gave up after around half an hour as it sat on 2% the entire time.

Checked CPU & GPU usage both where minimal with the CPU using only 4/16 cores.

Currently going through the manual but not sure what I am doing wrong.

System:

-Win10 64bit

-2x8core Zeons

-32g ram

Okay changed from GPU to CPU, even worse.

Sits on 2% CPU usage, doesnt look to be simulating anything?

Are their any logs for this app? I have no idea what its doing if it is actaly doing anything?

I'm still doing some tests, but on a computer with Ryzen 3 2200G and GT1030 (Windows 10 64 bits). I decreased the simulation time of "Fluids Scene 1" from 25 minutes to 5 minutes.

I had to make the following changes.
    Remove the OpenCL from the motherboard, using the windows regedit. Only Opencl GT1030.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35230731/how-to-disable-registered-opencl-platforms-on-windows​

And Change the priority to RealTime for DAZStudio.exe, with the task manager. (Previously I only used 5% of a CPU core). This did the trick, so that it increases in my case to 25% (Use a nucleus / 4 at 100%,)

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I removed the intel line from the two registry lists mentioned in the link, but when I looked for supported Open CL devices listed under dForce, both the motherboard GPU and the OpenCL via the CPU were both still listed. Not surprising Fluidos still did not work when using GPU

And is it 32 or 64 bits?

For 32-bit machines or 64-bit apps on a 64-bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

For 32-bit apps on a 64-bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

I am on a 64 bit machine, but I changed both, and it had no effect.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/705036

Maybe this will work for you, which is to change from 0 to 1.

It works for me to restart DAZ Studio, but it may work for you if you restart your computer.

Yes I have already tried that aswell! I think as long as the on board graphics card remains in the list for dForce, then it has not been properly removed from the list. So far the only way this seems to happen (for me at least), is to disable the card in Device Manager. I had the same issue with my laptop as well, however for this I was able to disable the motherboard GPU and start up DS without it crashing. 

Disable your integrated GPU in the BIOS. That will prevent apps from defaulting to it.

Also remember that the latest GPU drivers are not always the best for your application, and can be the issue a lot of times.

Also remember that for branded systems that have system-branded GPUs (Dell, HP, Alienware, etc - not a GPU you put in yourself from the manufacturer or a 3rd party vendor like EVGA), they like to get into the guts and monkey around, so the drivers from their site are the recommended ones, not from the manufacturer's site, and never let Windows Update pick your GPU driver.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,905
    edited September 2018

Gerster, try this OBJ and let us know if it works with your simulation! wink

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pzybermzcbeib2s/Flask.obj/file

I made it by myself in Silo.

Post edited by Imago on
  • Can one create an ocean, and how if yes?

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

Thanks

OpenCL error cannot use Dforce.

Checked my card OpenCL is switched on.

Apparently a lot of people are hitting this issue.

The NVIDIA 1060 is one of the most common 1### range cards out theire and I'm using the latest drivers.

Either Daz or NVIDIA arnt running OpenCL properly?

Unfortunatly there wasnt another option to OpenCL under the simulation settings?

Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

Thanks

OpenCL error cannot use Dforce.

Checked my card OpenCL is switched on.

Apparently a lot of people are hitting this issue.

The NVIDIA 1060 is one of the most common 1### range cards out theire and I'm using the latest drivers.

Either Daz or NVIDIA arnt running OpenCL properly?

Unfortunatly there wasnt another option to OpenCL under the simulation settings?

Ooooookay, just to try a coparision wit DS & Dforce.

I tried a simple cloth simulation in Blender to confirm the CUDA is at least functioning (not sure if Blender uses OpenCL) and it works fine.

Maybe DazStudio isnt implementing CUDA & OpenCL properly?

edited September 2018

Mouser, try wiping all the GPU drivers and reinstall them fresh. There is a software on Guru3D: https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

Using it you can completely delete any trace of the existing drivers, as if they never been installed.

Some times corrupted files blocks the installation of newer, functioning ones.

Post edited by Imago on
    Imago said:

Mouser, try wiping all the GPU drivers and reinstall them fresh. There is a 

Sorry but your message looks to be incomplete?

Mouser said:
    Imago said:

Fixed now, hit wrong button by mistake! blush

Imago said:
    Mouser said:
    Imago said:

Fixed now, hit wrong button by mistake! blush

Been there!wink

I'm not sure rolling drivers back is a good idea as the older drivers (looking at varies forums) had obsolete versions of OpenCL.

Unfortunatly finding precise driver version info is hit or miss afair.

I have an OEM GPU on my system and I always installed the lates drivers from NVidia and everything worked fine. I guess you can give it a try! wink

Must admit I've mostly used PoserPro/Vue at home for animations as stuff always just worked & Maya at the media course I took (which was overkill).

DazStudio is rather recent so I always asume its my fault by default;)

• Something I noticed. I use the same temp folder for all Fluidos. If you do a long sequence, then do a short sequence, the extra length is appended. 

So, I now empty my temp folder often. TI think it has affected other attempts as well, so maybe I should empty the folder every new setup.

MarcCCTx said:

Something I noticed. I use the same temp folder for all Fluidos. If you do a long sequence, then do a short sequence, the extra length is appended. 

So, I now empty my temp folder often. TI think it has affected other attempts as well, so maybe I should empty the folder every new setup.

It's better use separate folders for each simulation. wink
    This way you can control more easily the output and also you can keep the simulations you like more for future uses.

• That's a lot of disk space when you're just testing. But you're right if you plan to keep the simulation, a seperate folder would be better.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    Imago said:

Mouser, try wiping all the GPU drivers and reinstall them fresh. There is a software on Guru3D: https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

Using it you can completely delete any trace of the existing drivers, as if they never been installed.

Some times corrupted files blocks the installation of newer, functioning ones.

Thank you so much for this link!  

Mouser said:

Must admit I've mostly used PoserPro/Vue at home for animations as stuff always just worked & Maya at the media course I took (which was overkill).

DazStudio is rather recent so I always asume its my fault by default;)

I sent you a PM

• Lord MajesticLord Majestic Posts: 51
    edited September 2018

Fluidos doesn't seem to be saving (or loading) scenes correctly. This is a simple scene:-

If I save it as a scene then reload it I get:-

As you can see everything is unparented and there's an extra null node 'np_bath'

Test01.jpg
    Test02.jpg
    Post edited by Lord Majestic on

Fluidos doesn't seem to be saving (or loading) scenes correctly. This is a simple scene:-

As you can see everything is unparented and there's an extra null node 'np_bath'

Does this behavior always occur when you save a file?

• The unparenting always occurs, but I think it only moves stuff if you move the Fluidos Domain from o,o,o. In my post it's moved to -200 on X to cover the bath.

The unparenting always occurs, but I think it only moves stuff if you move the Fluidos Domain from o,o,o. In my post it's moved to -200 on X to cover the bath.

Thank you for reporting. I'm going to study the problem right now.

Uhm... As I can see you are using the beta version of DAZ Studio... That happens in the older 4.10 too?

Also, it happens when you parent props to other objects, like a plane parented to a cube?

It's a very odd behaviour even for a faulty beta, anyway!

• Yes exataly the same thing happens in 4.10. And If I parent other things in the same scene they work correctly, it's only the stuff parented to the Fluidos Domain that unparents.

• I saw the unparenting and the creating of nulls when loading a saved file as well, in the current public build. It saved other settings, and when I reparented the items it worked correctly, but it was odd.
  • I saw the unparenting and the creating of nulls when loading a saved file as well, in the current public build. It saved other settings, and when I reparented the items it worked correctly, but it was odd.

Yes you are right, if you reparent them and then save it again it works. But you still get the null nodes.

• I can confirm that I have seen the unparented and moved items after loading a saved scene. I have also seen the extra scene assets appear as mentioned earlier.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    Imago said:
    gerster said:
    Imago said:

Gerster, your flask is static or it moves?

Static 

So it's really odd!

But try this: create a new scene and load the flask you want to use. Once loaded, export it as OBJ disabling all the options in the right part of the extended export window about the groups and textures.

Now load the newly created flask and try the simulation on it.

Let us know! wink

thank you, I tried your hint. But it didn't help.

Alberto said:
    gerster said:
    Alberto said:
    gerster said:
    Alberto said:

I noticed that your flask is in fact a closed mesh, but is too thin. There are three options to do:

1. Reduce the cell size (Main settings of the Domain), or
    2. Add a Geometry shell to the flask, or
    3. Increase the Thicken value of the flask (in its FLUIDOS/Obstacle properties).

I don't recommend you the option 1 for your scene because you will have to use a too small cell size (causing a very slow simulation)

2. Geometry shell didn't help

3. I tried this before, didn't help. I get really wired effects, like that the fluid comes out of the hohle AND the glass. If the ticken value is too high it just stays in the glass.

I noticed that your Mesher is parented to the Domain. If it is Enabled when you are running the simulator, it will take part of the simulation. Although this can be very useful in some cases, I think this is not what you intend in your scene. Better unparent it.

Try a combination of options 1 and 3. If you reduce moderately the cell size, the plugin could "see" better the flask's wall and the thicken effect will be more accurate.

Other thing (unrelated with the fluid leaking): if you need to reduce the stair effect in the interface fluid-solid, you could increase the Surface Smoothing value (in the Advanced settings) and the Smoothing iterations.

Ah, that's good hint.  I read the manuel wrong and addes the meshner to the domain.

However, I tried a cell size around 0.15 and a thickness around 2 and it still falls through. :(
    Seems for me to be impossible to fill this flask with water indecision

If I do a much smaller cell size my computer crash.

I see you have a sphere as a fluid mass. Assure that the sphere don't touch the flask walls, let the more space you could between them.

The spheres don't touch the wall.

I  tried different flasks and bottles. the liquid falls through all of them :(

edited September 2018

I found the problem. In next free update you get the fixing.

But in the meantime, do this.

FOR NEW SCENES:

When you create a New FLUIDOS Domain, save your scene before parenting none. Reload it and continue doing your setup. This way, the problem will not occur.

FOR OLD SCENES LOADED:

If this scenes has broken the parenting to the Domain, reparent and set again the properties of the objects parented (not needed for Sources, Forces and Meshers). Delete all the np_ files. Reposition Domain if needed.  Save again. Next time you reload, all be parented as were saved.

Post edited by Alberto on
    edited September 2018
    gerster said:
    Imago said:
    gerster said:
    Imago said:

Gerster, your flask is static or it moves?

Static 

So it's really odd!

But try this: create a new scene and load the flask you want to use. Once loaded, export it as OBJ disabling all the options in the right part of the extended export window about the groups and textures.

Now load the newly created flask and try the simulation on it.

Let us know! wink

thank you, I tried your hint. But it didn't help.

Alberto said:
    gerster said:
    Alberto said:
    gerster said:
    Alberto said:

I noticed that your flask is in fact a closed mesh, but is too thin. There are three options to do:

1. Reduce the cell size (Main settings of the Domain), or
    2. Add a Geometry shell to the flask, or
    3. Increase the Thicken value of the flask (in its FLUIDOS/Obstacle properties).

I don't recommend you the option 1 for your scene because you will have to use a too small cell size (causing a very slow simulation)

2. Geometry shell didn't help

3. I tried this before, didn't help. I get really wired effects, like that the fluid comes out of the hohle AND the glass. If the ticken value is too high it just stays in the glass.

I noticed that your Mesher is parented to the Domain. If it is Enabled when you are running the simulator, it will take part of the simulation. Although this can be very useful in some cases, I think this is not what you intend in your scene. Better unparent it.

Try a combination of options 1 and 3. If you reduce moderately the cell size, the plugin could "see" better the flask's wall and the thicken effect will be more accurate.

Other thing (unrelated with the fluid leaking): if you need to reduce the stair effect in the interface fluid-solid, you could increase the Surface Smoothing value (in the Advanced settings) and the Smoothing iterations.

Ah, that's good hint.  I read the manuel wrong and addes the meshner to the domain.

However, I tried a cell size around 0.15 and a thickness around 2 and it still falls through. :(
    Seems for me to be impossible to fill this flask with water indecision

If I do a much smaller cell size my computer crash.

I see you have a sphere as a fluid mass. Assure that the sphere don't touch the flask walls, let the more space you could between them.

The spheres don't touch the wall.

I  tried different flasks and bottles. the liquid falls through all of them :(

Other thing to do is decrease the CFL condition number (maybe to 2.5).

But, you could try the scene I attached. It contains a thicker flask (the flask is not textured, could apply a shader).

EDIT: It's updated the .duf, the previous one was incomplete.

duf
    duf
    flask2.duf
    Post edited by Alberto on