[Updated to V1.3 - now MacOS support] FLUIDOS: a fluids simulator plugin for Daz Studio (commercial)

Comments

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:

Looking again at your tutorial video, you of course set a keyframe at frame zero and set frame 30 to 100%.

Does the 30th frame need a Keyframe?

Yes, in fact, when you set frame 30 to 100%, the keyframe is automatically added. But this cannot be the cause of your problem.

What does the error message say?

When I select run simulation a small error button pops up with an okay button, above thte button is a yellow triangle with the word error nect to it.

I click ok and then nothing?

Bye the way I apreciate your following up on this, thank you;)

You're welcome. I hope we can solve the problem soon.

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

OK, could you send me your scene to take a look at?

Did you run any of the included scenes?, if nor, try one, please.

Okay, loaded scene 2 and chose the same bake dir as previous, all other options as per scene file.

Daz Studio has encountered a fatal error and must close, etc

More option

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\Program Files\Applications\Multemedia\DAZStudio4\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\abFluidos.dll" at 0033:000000001A050637, DzMatrix4::`default constructor closure'()+62023 byte(s)

Attached log file

Could you repeat this test and save the DazStudio error report (there is an option in the error message of Studio crashing)?, send me the report to analyze it, please.

• MouserMouser Posts: 675
    Alberto said:

Attached my copy of Tutorial 1

duf
    duf
    Tutorial 1.duf
    Tutorial 1.duf.png
    91 x 91 - 318B
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:

Looking again at your tutorial video, you of course set a keyframe at frame zero and set frame 30 to 100%.

Yes, in fact, when you set frame 30 to 100%, the keyframe is automatically added. But this cannot be the cause of your problem.

When I select run simulation a small error button pops up with an okay button, above thte button is a yellow triangle with the word error nect to it.

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

Okay, loaded scene 2 and chose the same bake dir as previous, all other options as per scene file.

More option

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\Program Files\Applications\Multemedia\DAZStudio4\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\abFluidos.dll" at 0033:000000001A050637, DzMatrix4::`default constructor closure'()+62023 byte(s)

Attached log file

Could you repeat this test and save the DazStudio error report (there is an option in the error message of Studio crashing)?, send me the report to analyze it, please.

Didnt crash this time?

Set as previous same bake dir all other settings as per file.

Log file attached

txt
    txt
    03-Sep-2018 18h56m11s - Copy.txt
    854B
    edited September 2018
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

More option

Attached log file

Didnt crash this time?

Log file attached

Sorry I should say that it didnt crash but did produce the error popup as usual runing sits  on 2%.

Post edited by Mouser on
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

More option

Attached log file

Didnt crash this time?

Log file attached

Sorry I should say that it didnt crash but did produce the error popup as usual.

Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    Alberto said:
    Mouser said:

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

More option

Attached log file

Didnt crash this time?

Log file attached

Sorry I should say that it didnt crash but did produce the error popup as usual runing sits  on 2%.

Note: I only installed the 64 bit version of Fluidos and not the 32bit version, I take it that it shouldnt make any difference?

• Okay. Different computer. Knowing what I know now, installation went fine. But now I have a new problem.

Everything seems to be offset from where it should be. See the attached screenshot...

Any idea why this would be happening?

flu-err.jpg
    1436 x 1080 - 265K
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    edited September 2018

Okay. Different computer. Knowing what I know now, installation went fine. But now I have a new problem.

Everything seems to be offset from where it should be. See the attached screenshot...

Yes, your Mesher is offset from the Fluidos domain. You need to copy the translation values over to make sure they are identical between the mesher and the domain.

Ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,905

Okay. Different computer. Knowing what I know now, installation went fine. But now I have a new problem.

As THD777 said you have to reposition the Mesher. You can simply do the classic CTRL+C and CTRL+V to do that or use the Copy/Paste commands from the Edit menu.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited September 2018
    CGI3DM said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    CGI3DM said:

For everyone, I would like to know, how long it takes, to complete the sample simulations "Fluids Scene 1" and "Fluids Scene 2" (File Logs Total time: 753.156) . And your equipment specifications. (default settings).
    Thanks

Set up Tutorial 1 as per video.

Started to run the simulation but gave up after around half an hour as it sat on 2% the entire time.

Checked CPU & GPU usage both where minimal with the CPU using only 4/16 cores.

Currently going through the manual but not sure what I am doing wrong.

System:

-Win10 64bit

-2x8core Zeons

-32g ram

Okay changed from GPU to CPU, even worse.

Sits on 2% CPU usage, doesnt look to be simulating anything?

Are their any logs for this app? I have no idea what its doing if it is actaly doing anything?

I'm still doing some tests, but on a computer with Ryzen 3 2200G and GT1030 (Windows 10 64 bits). I decreased the simulation time of "Fluids Scene 1" from 25 minutes to 5 minutes.

I had to make the following changes.
    Remove the OpenCL from the motherboard, using the windows regedit. Only Opencl GT1030.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35230731/how-to-disable-registered-opencl-platforms-on-windows​

And Change the priority to RealTime for DAZStudio.exe, with the task manager. (Previously I only used 5% of a CPU core). This did the trick, so that it increases in my case to 25% (Use a nucleus / 4 at 100%,)

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I removed the intel line from the two registry lists mentioned in the link, but when I looked for supported Open CL devices listed under dForce, both the motherboard GPU and the OpenCL via the CPU were both still listed. Not surprising Fluidos still did not work when using GPU

Post edited by Havos on
    Mouser said:

Note: I only installed the 64 bit version of Fluidos and not the 32bit version, I take it that it shouldnt make any difference?

No, as your OS is 64 bit, you should install only the 64 bit version, as you did.

Mouser said:
    Alberto said:

Attached my copy of Tutorial 1

Your .duf file is right, I can run.

From your logs, it seems that there is a problem with OpenCL.

Is updated your driver card?, if not, please, do it.

Is dForce working well in your system?

• CGI3DMCGI3DM Posts: 276
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    CGI3DM said:

For everyone, I would like to know, how long it takes, to complete the sample simulations "Fluids Scene 1" and "Fluids Scene 2" (File Logs Total time: 753.156) . And your equipment specifications. (default settings).
    Thanks

Started to run the simulation but gave up after around half an hour as it sat on 2% the entire time.

System:

-Win10 64bit

-2x8core Zeons

-32g ram

Are their any logs for this app? I have no idea what its doing if it is actaly doing anything?

I'm still doing some tests, but on a computer with Ryzen 3 2200G and GT1030 (Windows 10 64 bits). I decreased the simulation time of "Fluids Scene 1" from 25 minutes to 5 minutes.

Remove the OpenCL from the motherboard, using the windows regedit. Only Opencl GT1030.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35230731/how-to-disable-registered-opencl-platforms-on-windows​

And Change the priority to RealTime for DAZStudio.exe, with the task manager. (Previously I only used 5% of a CPU core). This did the trick, so that it increases in my case to 25% (Use a nucleus / 4 at 100%,)

Unfortunately this did not work for me. I removed the intel line from the two registry lists mentioned in the link, but when I looked for supported Open CL devices listed under dForce, both the motherboard GPU and the OpenCL via the CPU were both still listed. Not surprising Fluidos still did not work when using GPU

And is it 32 or 64 bits?

For 32-bit machines or 64-bit apps on a 64-bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

For 32-bit apps on a 64-bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

CGI3DM said:
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    CGI3DM said:

Thanks

System:

-Win10 64bit

-2x8core Zeons

-32g ram

And is it 32 or 64 bits?

For 32-bit machines or 64-bit apps on a 64-bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

For 32-bit apps on a 64-bit machine: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Khronos\OpenCL\Vendors

I am on a 64 bit machine, but I changed both, and it had no effect.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    Alberto said:
    gerster said:
    Alberto said:

I noticed that your flask is in fact a closed mesh, but is too thin. There are three options to do:

1. Reduce the cell size (Main settings of the Domain), or
    2. Add a Geometry shell to the flask, or
    3. Increase the Thicken value of the flask (in its FLUIDOS/Obstacle properties).

I don't recommend you the option 1 for your scene because you will have to use a too small cell size (causing a very slow simulation)

2. Geometry shell didn't help

3. I tried this before, didn't help. I get really wired effects, like that the fluid comes out of the hohle AND the glass. If the ticken value is too high it just stays in the glass.

I noticed that your Mesher is parented to the Domain. If it is Enabled when you are running the simulator, it will take part of the simulation. Although this can be very useful in some cases, I think this is not what you intend in your scene. Better unparent it.

Try a combination of options 1 and 3. If you reduce moderately the cell size, the plugin could "see" better the flask's wall and the thicken effect will be more accurate.

Other thing (unrelated with the fluid leaking): if you need to reduce the stair effect in the interface fluid-solid, you could increase the Surface Smoothing value (in the Advanced settings) and the Smoothing iterations.

Ah, that's good hint.  I read the manuel wrong and addes the meshner to the domain.

However, I tried a cell size around 0.15 and a thickness around 2 and it still falls through. :(
    Seems for me to be impossible to fill this flask with water indecision

If I do a much smaller cell size my computer crash.

Gerster, your flask is static or it moves?

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    Imago said:

Static 

gerster said:
    Imago said:

Static 

So it's really odd!

But try this: create a new scene and load the flask you want to use. Once loaded, export it as OBJ disabling all the options in the right part of the extended export window about the groups and textures.

Now load the newly created flask and try the simulation on it.

Let us know! wink

gerster said:
    Alberto said:
    gerster said:
    Alberto said:

I noticed that your flask is in fact a closed mesh, but is too thin. There are three options to do:

1. Reduce the cell size (Main settings of the Domain), or
    2. Add a Geometry shell to the flask, or
    3. Increase the Thicken value of the flask (in its FLUIDOS/Obstacle properties).

I don't recommend you the option 1 for your scene because you will have to use a too small cell size (causing a very slow simulation)

2. Geometry shell didn't help

3. I tried this before, didn't help. I get really wired effects, like that the fluid comes out of the hohle AND the glass. If the ticken value is too high it just stays in the glass.

I noticed that your Mesher is parented to the Domain. If it is Enabled when you are running the simulator, it will take part of the simulation. Although this can be very useful in some cases, I think this is not what you intend in your scene. Better unparent it.

Try a combination of options 1 and 3. If you reduce moderately the cell size, the plugin could "see" better the flask's wall and the thicken effect will be more accurate.

Other thing (unrelated with the fluid leaking): if you need to reduce the stair effect in the interface fluid-solid, you could increase the Surface Smoothing value (in the Advanced settings) and the Smoothing iterations.

Ah, that's good hint.  I read the manuel wrong and addes the meshner to the domain.

However, I tried a cell size around 0.15 and a thickness around 2 and it still falls through. :(
    Seems for me to be impossible to fill this flask with water indecision

If I do a much smaller cell size my computer crash.

I see you have a sphere as a fluid mass. Assure that the sphere don't touch the flask walls, let the more space you could between them.

• CGI3DMCGI3DM Posts: 276
    edited September 2018
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    CGI3DM said:

Thanks

System:

-Win10 64bit

-2x8core Zeons

-32g ram

And is it 32 or 64 bits?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/705036

Maybe this will work for you, which is to change from 0 to 1.

It works for me to restart DAZ Studio, but it may work for you if you restart your computer.

Post edited by CGI3DM on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how to simulate large bodies of water? The default Fluidos domain is only a couple of meters square and when I increase it to about 4 meters, it increases the calculation time exponentially, which is totally understandable. So how do I simulate enough water for a boat without the sim taking months to calculate? Do I increase the cell size or change the subdivision or smoothing iterations or what? I mean if I'm simulating waves hitting a boat, I don't need the same precision as pouring wine into a glass. Just wondering if anyone has already figured this out. Thanks for any replies.

Kitsumo said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how to simulate large bodies of water? The default Fluidos domain is only a couple of meters square and when I increase it to about 4 meters, it increases the calculation time exponentially, which is totally understandable. So how do I simulate enough water for a boat without the sim taking months to calculate? Do I increase the cell size or change the subdivision or smoothing iterations or what? I mean if I'm simulating waves hitting a boat, I don't need the same precision as pouring wine into a glass. Just wondering if anyone has already figured this out. Thanks for any replies.

You can reduce the boat size. Or, you could increase the Domain size and the cell size too.

Try to save Domain space, e.g., reduce the size Y if your fluid is mostly confined to the bottom. 

Avoid deep water if the rendering only needs the surfaces. The shallower, the faster.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Alberto said:
    Kitsumo said:

You can reduce the boat size. Or, you could increase the Domain size and the cell size too.

Try to save Domain space, e.g., reduce the size Y if your fluid is mostly confined to the bottom. 

Avoid deep water if the rendering only needs the surfaces. The shallower, the faster.

Ok. That makes sense. Another question. Is there a way to set a default value to the baked files folder, so I don't have to enter it every time? I always use the same folder.

Thanks for the answers and thanks for making a great product.

CGI3DM said:
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Havos said:
    CGI3DM said:
    Mouser said:
    Mouser said:
    CGI3DM said:

Thanks

System:

-Win10 64bit

-2x8core Zeons

-32g ram

And is it 32 or 64 bits?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl/topic/705036

Maybe this will work for you, which is to change from 0 to 1.

It works for me to restart DAZ Studio, but it may work for you if you restart your computer.

Yes I have already tried that aswell! I think as long as the on board graphics card remains in the list for dForce, then it has not been properly removed from the list. So far the only way this seems to happen (for me at least), is to disable the card in Device Manager. I had the same issue with my laptop as well, however for this I was able to disable the motherboard GPU and start up DS without it crashing. 

• CGI3DM said:

Thanks

Scene one:

3mins 50secs

Scene two:

0min 51secs

Specs:

OpenCL CLScalarField Device Info:
    CL_DEVICE_NAME:                GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    CL_DEVICE_VENDOR:              NVIDIA Corporation
    CL_DEVICE_VERSION:             OpenCL 1.2 CUDA
    CL_DRIVER_VERSION:             387.95
    CL_DEVICE_OPENCL_C_VERSION:    OpenCL C 1.2
    CL_DEVICE_TYPE:                GPU
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY: 1708MHz
    CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE:     6442450944
    CL_DEVICE_LOCAL_MEM_SIZE:      49152
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE:  1610612736
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 1024
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_ITEM_SIZES: 1024 x 1024 x 64

• Alberto said:
    thd777 said:

Now that I'm over the wonky graphix card issue, any chance on a .pdf cheat sheet on what each item and property does? Videos are great and all but having a writen explination really helps for quick referencing as well. :)

One quick question though, is there a way to change the emitter? Say like instead of one side of a cube, haveing every other face on the outside of a cone emit the fluid?

Don't know if you have found it already, but under "Content/ReadMe's" you can find a recipes pdf and and a manual. I found those very helpful and comprehensive. Better than a lot of manuals that I have seen for other plug-ins.

Ciao

TD

*face palms* The readme section! Lol of course, thanks. Like glasses on top of head moment.

These descriptors are pretty thick, but should be helpful. Though I noticed that they often describe themselves with "themselves" ie.. "Point Force: This force acts as the standard point force, the decay rate is quadratic. Its unis are in m /s2 (acceleration)."  If the user doesnt know what a point force is in the first place this description isn't very helpful. Often happens when super geniouses need to explain stuff. :DD

*crosses fingers for a "Fluidos: For Dummys" translation of the read-me.* but til then I'll push through via trial and error like I did with dynamics and meta materials. :)

Thank you for your comment. I'm taking note for the next free upgrade.

Some ideas:

A way to have the system remember the folder your bake too.

A way to clear that folder from within Daz. I've noticed that simulations often overlap, especially if the later sim is shorter.

For ideas on tutorials, I've found it helps to have someone thats not the creator to make these. They can come at the process with a users eye that can often explain things that might seem granted to a coder. It's much like writing a book, the author gets an editor to proofread the book as they catch mistakes and grammer errors the writer would miss because they wrote it. :) There's a number of very talented tubers out there that im sure are going to break this great program down for the novices  of us. It just takes time and soon im sure we'll start to see help emerge.

Kitsumo said:
    Alberto said:
    Kitsumo said:

Ok. That makes sense. Another question. Is there a way to set a default value to the baked files folder, so I don't have to enter it every time? I always use the same folder.

Thanks for the answers and thanks for making a great product.

No, there isn't a default baked files folder. 

But you can create a Properties preset for the Fluidos Domain:

Select the Domain. Set the Baked Folder you always use.

Go to "File - Save As - Properties Preset" menu.

This window will appear:

Uncheck "Include Shaping Setting in Presets". Do the same in Pose and Materials(s) tabs.

Go to the Other tab.

Check "Include Other Settings in Preset". Next uncheck "Fluidos Domain", and expand.

Expand "Main Settings" and check "Baked files folder"

Click Accept.

You have now a Properties preset only for the Baked folder. Aply to any domain you wish.

PresetProperties1.png
    485 x 432 - 28K
    PresetProperties2.png
    485 x 432 - 30K
    PresetProperties3.png
    485 x 432 - 38K
    PresetProperties4.png
    485 x 432 - 40K
    Alberto said:
    thd777 said:

Now that I'm over the wonky graphix card issue, any chance on a .pdf cheat sheet on what each item and property does? Videos are great and all but having a writen explination really helps for quick referencing as well. :)

One quick question though, is there a way to change the emitter? Say like instead of one side of a cube, haveing every other face on the outside of a cone emit the fluid?

Don't know if you have found it already, but under "Content/ReadMe's" you can find a recipes pdf and and a manual. I found those very helpful and comprehensive. Better than a lot of manuals that I have seen for other plug-ins.

Ciao

TD

*face palms* The readme section! Lol of course, thanks. Like glasses on top of head moment.

These descriptors are pretty thick, but should be helpful. Though I noticed that they often describe themselves with "themselves" ie.. "Point Force: This force acts as the standard point force, the decay rate is quadratic. Its unis are in m /s2 (acceleration)."  If the user doesnt know what a point force is in the first place this description isn't very helpful. Often happens when super geniouses need to explain stuff. :DD

*crosses fingers for a "Fluidos: For Dummys" translation of the read-me.* but til then I'll push through via trial and error like I did with dynamics and meta materials. :)

Thank you for your comment. I'm taking note for the next free upgrade.

Some ideas:

A way to have the system remember the folder your bake too.

A way to clear that folder from within Daz. I've noticed that simulations often overlap, especially if the later sim is shorter.

For ideas on tutorials, I've found it helps to have someone thats not the creator to make these. They can come at the process with a users eye that can often explain things that might seem granted to a coder. It's much like writing a book, the author gets an editor to proofread the book as they catch mistakes and grammer errors the writer would miss because they wrote it. :) There's a number of very talented tubers out there that im sure are going to break this great program down for the novices  of us. It just takes time and soon im sure we'll start to see help emerge.

Thank you. Good points.

• I like the seperate bake folders as it allows me to keep my bake files around inside a project directory per scene, and instance if i have multiple domains in a scene, until I'm happy without having to run the whole simulation again.

• Risk3DRisk3D Posts: 65
    edited September 2018

So im working on an end of summer scene with squirtgins to help learn some of the aspects of Fluidos.

Running into a few areas I could use some help with from others messing around with it. :)

Here's the test scene with settings...

First probelm I run into is the "cube". When I turn off "is cuboid" it takes the usual simulation time but nothing shows up in the mesher.

Also the "Preview" button is a bit confusing, you have to have it OFF to preview while its simulating, but ON in order to not see the preview while rendering. Seems backwards,

Next problem I'm having is breakage, in order to get the water to shoot like a high pressure spout I amped up the "x velocity" to 800 but with it that fast the particles are too spread apart to "metaball". Not sure which section increases the production of particles. Or if there's a way to reduce gravity, then I could reduce the velocity allowing the blobs to merge into a stream.

Lastly, Is there a way for the particle to increase in size as time/distance elapses? For a watergun the stream starts pin sized but as it gets further away pressure eases and the stream expands.

After I nail this one down it's on to recreating a still of a water balloon half exploded. :D

fluidostestSupersoaker01.jpg
    1252 x 766 - 135K
    fluidostestSupersoaker01b.jpg
    243 x 620 - 44K
    fluidostestSupersoaker01c.jpg
    393 x 520 - 42K
    Post edited by Risk3D on

First probelm I run into is the "cube". When I turn off "is cuboid" it takes the usual simulation time but nothing shows up in the mesher.

When you turn off "is cuboid", you get a sphere. This is some smaller than the cuboid, thus, if its radius is too little in comparision with the cell size, no fluid is entering through this source.

Next problem I'm having is breakage, in order to get the water to shoot like a high pressure spout I amped up the "x velocity" to 800 but with it that fast the particles are too spread apart to "metaball". Not sure which section increases the production of particles. Or if there's a way to reduce gravity, then I could reduce the velocity allowing the blobs to merge into a stream.

It could happen with high velocity. There are some ways to avoid:

• Decrease the CFL condition number (don't decrease too much, beware). The simulation takes more time, but will be more accurate.
    • Increase the Frames per second of simulation. This takes more time, usually more than the CFL condition number.
    • Increase the Source only in the direction of the pretended flow.

Lastly, Is there a way for the particle to increase in size as time/distance elapses? For a watergun the stream starts pin sized but as it gets further away pressure eases and the stream expands.

This happens because the source is an ideal object without any friction inside. you could use invisible obstacles to disturb the water. But is easier to use the Diffuse particles option in the Domain. Next you will need two meshers, the ordinary one for the liquid mesh, and an another one to show the Diffuse particles (the last must have ON the Diffuse particles property).