Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I apologise from the start. I totally misread your instructions @Novica and merrily set out to create a new image for you latest challenge instead of using a scene I already had. I also don't have Sketchy, so I used pwToon and Manga Marker Shaders to help me give toon style eyes to Dolly. I also have the free shader set from the Freebies thread with goes with pwToon. I noticed when I finished that the hair isn't quite right too.

Note to self: re-read the instructions several times before starting anything.

Wow! That's simply gorgeous shading!

• Awesome work @mollytabby!  Very cute render.  Can you explain how you used the shaders to make manga type eyes?  

• Manga markers includes manga eye shader presets.

• Ah okay, thanks @Serenenight.  I'm doing a sketchy render at the moment.  Only issue I have is that my character's eyes are rendering all white, despite my efforts to color the iris.  I may have to do that in post work for now, until I learn how I went wrong.  I know it has happened to me before.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Novica said:

I live in the land of beautiful horses, fast women, and smooth wiskey.

So is that Kentucky or Tennessee? Or neither? And I'm just referring to the horses, to be clear! 

Kentucky; billionaires come from all over the world to buy yearlings here. It actually used to be much prettier, that is, the farms the horses lived on used to be prettier, as the horses are still pretty as ever.

Tennessee is famous for walking horses. Kentucky for thoroughbreds.

edited September 2018

I used to have a regular grey cockatiel that was wild, but not caught from the wild, when it was bought as a gift for me as a boy. I took me about 2 weeks of extended patience and finger bites to tame her. She was quite old when purchased so never did try to immitate people speach. She loved to sing and fly to great me when I go home from school. Also had a budgie pair that was much easier for me to tame and they'd fly and great me after I got home from school too. I was cleaning up after them all the time but they were really well behaved and friendly creatures.

I've not made up my mind what sort of bird I will try are a pet but I will this autumn get one or two as a pet. If I adopt it'll be just one that they have unless it's a pair they don't want to break up or I am leaning on getting a violet Indian Ringneck Parakeet as they are actually to my ears one of the better talkers. When I visited Jaipur, India last March I took some pictures of wild Indian Ringnecks, including a pair that was mating shown in this picture. The hollow above them is their nest with their eggs. The forum SW for some reason rotated my picture 90 CCW because it doesn't like the aspect ratio. It's a bit presumptious of the forum SW to assume that uploaded images of certain aspect ratios and having no other information need to be meddled with at all.

Indian Ringneck Parakeets, wild mated pair.

P1000315.JPG
    3072 x 1728 - 1M
    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

Awesome work @mollytabby!  Very cute render.  Can you explain how you used the shaders to make manga type eyes?  

Thank you @Worlds_Edge, I was having a similar problem to you and couldn't get the eyes right. As noted by @Serenenight, the Manga Markers Shaders set comes with presets for the eyes. I used these and fiddled with the settings in pwToon until I got something I could work with. What I ended up with isn't perfect but will do until I can work out what is going wrong when I use the pwToon shaders alone.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited September 2018

Ah okay, thanks @Serenenight.  I'm doing a sketchy render at the moment.  Only issue I have is that my character's eyes are rendering all white, despite my efforts to color the iris.  I may have to do that in post work for now, until I learn how I went wrong.  I know it has happened to me before.

@Worlds_Edge, When I applied the Sketcy base Toon shader to a figure, It turned the Cornea and EyeMoisture zones opaque. To fix that, I set the Cutout Opacity to zero. I suspect that is the issue you're up against. Try hiding those two zones and see if that fixes the problem…

ETA: A "doh" moment for me: These are shaders; And to apply shaders, we need to select the item in the scene and select the mateial zones, something most of us take for granted after a while. I tested this on another image I was having trouble with in 4.11, and as expected, only the selected zones have the Toon shader base applied. This means you can ignore zones that won't be visible, (and possibly save on render resources,) as well as leaving the Cornea and EyeMoisture alone.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Novica said:

So is that Kentucky or Tennessee? Or neither? And I'm just referring to the horses, to be clear! 

Kentucky; billionaires come from all over the world to buy yearlings here. It actually used to be much prettier, that is, the farms the horses lived on used to be prettier, as the horses are still pretty as ever.

Tennessee for Whiskey (unless your Irish) Kentucky for Bourbon and of course Scotland for Scotch 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142
    edited September 2018

I don't know why, but my render with sketchy took a long time.  I don't think it is the shader, it may be the background set that I used.  Using @l'adairs suggestion to take cutout opacity on cornea, eye moisture and iris down to zero, I got the eyes back.  I did a quick render of just the eyes and pasted them under the full render, then used a mask to bring them out.  First render is post worked to fix things like the disappearing eyes, a bit of poke through, and a poster on the wall.  It is kind of grainy and I wanted a smoother look.  Version 2 is post worked, using topaz clean and also adding sparkles to eyes.  I didn't want to put too many versions of the same picture here, but on my own thread, I threw a blue overlay or soft light layer over the post-worked version to make the clothing whiter.

Thanks for making me play with a product I had only tried once before!

sketchy render 1.jpg
    2766 x 2400 - 5M
    sketchy render post.jpg
    2766 x 2400 - 2M
    Post edited by Worlds_Edge on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

In the Sketchy video, they specifically mention the eyes :)  I just left mine alone, and also the tongue, because I thought it made Old Hagred look even more sinister. 

@mollytabby  It's fine whether you did a new one or one you already did :)  She looks GREAT!!!!

Okay. I'm starting to get the hang of these shaders. Here is a reworked "Repose." I pulled the camera back to get more of the set in the frame, and I used Look At Me to move his eyes to the camera. I applied the shader to all but the Cornea and EyeMoisture zones on Michael. The hair is Morley From AprilYSH, and I removed the Cutout Opacity image map.

Repose Sketch

Repose Sketch, by L'Adair

Okay what does removing the cutout opacity image map do, if I may ask?

Novica said:

Okay what does removing the cutout opacity image map do, if I may ask?

For Morley hair, it made the hair look thicker. Morley uses a lot of somewhat thin mesh strips for the hair, so it's not as obvious. Give me a few minutes and I'll render a before and after closeup for you.

@Worlds_Edge, your scene looks good, with and without the postwork. I'm glad the opaque zones are what was causing the issue and hiding those let the eyes render correctly.

edited September 2018

@Novica, Here you go. I applied a material preset to remove the toon shader, then removed the diffuse, Base Color image for clarity.

Morley Hair. No diffuse image, but Cutout Opacity, (trans map,) intact.

Morley Hair Without Diffuse Image

Morley Hair. No diffuse image, and Cutout Opacity, (trans map,) has also been removed.

Morley Hair Without Diffuse Image Or Transmaps

Images link to the full-size images.

Post edited by L'Adair on

Ah! Thanks for showing that. :) yes

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

Thank you @Novica smiley

@Worlds_Edge and @L'Adair I love what you are doing with Sketchy. I really want to get this now. Just hanging on for a sale. L'Adair I really appreciate the hits and tips. I would never have thought to remove image maps. I tried three different hair sets on mine before I found one that would work with pwToon.

Thank you @Novica smiley

@Worlds_Edge and @L'Adair I love what you are doing with Sketchy. I really want to get this now. Just hanging on for a sale. L'Adair I really appreciate the hits and tips. I would never have thought to remove image maps. I tried three different hair sets on mine before I found one that would work with pwToon.

Thank you, and you're welcome. smiley

With the hair, I didn't remove the main texture maps for the scene. In the comparison images I did for Novica, I removed the texture so it wouldn't distract from the mesh. I know what you mean, though, about finding a hair that will work with the shaders! The hair you used in your render turned out really nice.

I have pwToon and ToonyCam Pro, also. At this point, though, I've already spent more time with the Sketchy shaders! I used ToonyCam Pro on an image I used within an image last April, (here,) but that's about it. I really should spend more time with all three. Toons haven't been a priority, but they sure are fun to make, aren't they?

Novica said:

Tennessee for Whiskey (unless your Irish) Kentucky for Bourbon and of course Scotland for Scotch 

Bonnie and other conneseurs would kick me keester for saying whiskey instead of bourbon but for me: whiskey, bourbon, cognac, brandy - same - especially I call bourbon & whiskey the same thing, cognac too. My taste buds are so unsophisticated it took be buying 100 year old Spanish brandy before I ever noticed a difference, let alone a difference I liked.

I prefer the pwToon & other pw shaders to Sketchy & other iRay attempts at the more 'artsy' styles.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    Novica said:

Bonnie and other conneseurs would kick me keester for saying whiskey instead of bourbon but for me: whiskey, bourbon, cognac, brandy - same - especially I call bourbon & whiskey the same thing, cognac too. My taste buds are so unsophisticated it took be buying 100 year old Spanish brandy before I ever noticed a difference, let alone a difference I liked.

Not forgetting, of course, that whiskey is Irish and whisky is Scots ... cheeky

It's raining cats and dogs here in Pensacola. Gordon is going to be moving onshore either the other side of Mobile, Alabama (an hour away) or at Mississippi/Alabama state lines. Winds are gusting 24mph-35 mph in places, but here it's just a relaxing, raining evening. Going to rain all night though. I don't see a tornado thread at all, but we're in a watch till 4am. We honestly have thunderstorms which are much nastier than this. 

I decided to change Fiynn's name to Finn (with just the "i") to keep it simple, and I like Finnigan so that makes sense as his name with Finn as the nickname. I put his stand on the windowsill and he was so cute watching the rain drip off the roof. 

I did get the Pro Bundle (LaTonya) but no time to render at the moment. How are you folks liking her? I sure wish there was more traditional clothing in the bundles (as many of us are discussing behind the scenes.) 

Tornado warning, two miles away from the barn. Moving at 55mph! We THINK it is north of the barn, and headed northwest. I was just on the phone with the barn owner. Going to be in my location in about five minutes. It's rotation by radar, not a confirmed funnel cloud, so that's good. :)  Not windy or storming here, pouring rain though (still.) Mulch is all floating outside the front porch, probably 3-5" of rain now. Gordon is going to be a tropical storm (70mph) just missing a hurricane by 4 miles. Who came up with 74 miles per hour to be a hurricane anyway? 

edited September 2018
    Novica said:

It's raining cats and dogs here in Pensacola. Gordon is going to be moving onshore either the other side of Mobile, Alabama (an hour away) or at Mississippi/Alabama state lines. Winds are gusting 24mph-35 mph in places, but here it's just a relaxing, raining evening. Going to rain all night though. I don't see a tornado thread at all, but we're in a watch till 4am. We honestly have thunderstorms which are much nastier than this. 

I decided to change Fiynn's name to Finn (with just the "i") to keep it simple, and I like Finnigan so that makes sense as his name with Finn as the nickname. I put his stand on the windowsill and he was so cute watching the rain drip off the roof. 

I did get the Pro Bundle (LaTonya) but no time to render at the moment. How are you folks liking her? I sure wish there was more traditional clothing in the bundles (as many of us are discussing behind the scenes.) 

I disliked the clothing so much, I can't see buying the Pro Bundle for any reason.  I've actually never seen a Pro Bundle with so much stuff I would never use. Weird.

ETA: or takeout rather, all the duplicate stuff the forum stuck in.

Post edited by firewarden on

confirmed tornado on the ground three minutes from here, we are north of it, but east. It is going north, but WEST. Things getting busy around here! 

All clear! Rain has slowed down for now, tornado is past us. That's the second one in an hour and a half for this area. (By area, I don't mean Pensacola. I mean from the barn to my house, which is a span of 20 minutes driving time.) 

Novica said:

All clear! Rain has slowed down for now, tornado is past us. That's the second one in an hour and a half for this area. (By area, I don't mean Pensacola. I mean from the barn to my house, which is a span of 20 minutes driving time.) 

Wow!  Stay safe!!!!!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

Keep your head down and stay safe. Hope your horse isn't spooked by storms.

Sadly, a child was killed here in Pensacola. Around the time the tornado hit, the wind was coming ashore pretty strong and a tree blew down on a mobile home near downtown Pensacola. Haven't heard of any other fatalities and it's so sad, the family was doing what they should have done and stayed home/off the streets. It really wasn't that windy, the one band was the exception. 

Stetson and the rest of the horses were snug little bugs in their stalls, with the windows shut and both doors at the ends of the barn closed. The owner said the pastures are severely flooded so I doubt they go out tomorrow. Horses run/slip/fall and can break a leg on wet grass/mud. I may go out and walk Stetson around. It's STILL raining here (2:15am) but it's light, then heavy off/on. 

Not one, but TWO more waves off the African coast now. Good heavens. 

• I just looked up Pensacola.  We are going to be in Destin at the end of the month.  Doesn't look terribly far from you!

This discussion has been closed.