Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

@Nath, thank you for the windy.com recommendation. It looks really useful smiley

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

So do we have anyone else along the Gulf Coast? Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama? Florida Peninsula we've got a few folks. Oh, and they also said the one out in the Atlantic (Florence) could go East Coast/Newfoundland depending on if it does picked up by the ridge to turn it north and away from land, or (as they are now saying may be a possibility, albeit a small one at the moment) it may miss the turn. Wish I was a weatherman- there's two choices, A and B. (It turns or it doesn't) So I get paid to say it could do A, or it could do B. All they do is hedge their bets both ways!

edited September 2018

This is all @divamakeup 's fault. Over in the coloring book question thread in Commons, she showed an adorable unicorn and mentioned the Sketchy Toon Edge and Art Style Shaders for Iray.   And of course, yeah, it's another thing I own that I haven't used in ages, if at all. So here's my challenge to you- if you own it, convert something you've already done to a toon!  I went with our favorite "ditch the witch" Old Hagred. Here's a few tips from just spending a small amount of time on it this past hour-

TIP: If your shader is showing too much white, turn down the Toon Outline Contrast and there's one other contrast (I closed the studio already.) that is one or two lines above it in the Surfaces pane. Then put a gray in the diffuse color if it is white. Old Hagred's chest was really, really white! These shaders are B for Hagred and the shawl, and E for the dress and hat. That's it! Didn't mess with anything else.  I also changed Sketch Style Scales to 0.210 across the board. 

She's looking SO lovely. And looking for IceDragonArt, who managed to elude her for a few minutes...

Old Hagred Sketchy Toon Shader.png
    650 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited September 2018
    Novica said:

This is all @divamakeup 's fault. Over in the coloring book question thread in Commons, she showed an adorable unicorn and mentioned the Sketchy Toon Edge and Art Style Shaders for Iray.   And of course, yeah, it's another thing I own that I haven't used in ages, if at all. So here's my challenge to you- if you own it, convert something you've already done to a toon!  I went with our favorite "ditch the witch" Old Hagred. Here's a few tips from just spending a small amount of time on it this past hour-

TIP: If your shader is showing too much white, turn down the Toon Outline Contrast and there's one other contrast (I closed the studio already.) that is one or two lines above it in the Surfaces pane. Then put a gray in the diffuse color if it is white. Old Hagred's chest was really, really white! These shaders are B for Hagred and the shawl, and E for the dress and hat. That's it! Didn't mess with anything else.  I also changed Sketch Style Scales to 0.210 across the board. 

She's looking SO lovely. And looking for IceDragonArt, who managed to elude her for a few minutes...

Wow! That looks so cool! It looks like a storybook illustration! :D I'm very happy to hear that my render inspired this. Thank you for the shout out, Novica. laugh

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

I just turned off The Beast, but I see I do have that product, so I'll take you up on the challenge. It will be sometime tomorrow at the earliest. Right now, I'm heading for bed, (@ 3:41 am!)

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited September 2018
    Novica said:

So do we have anyone else along the Gulf Coast? Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama? Florida Peninsula we've got a few folks. Oh, and they also said the one out in the Atlantic (Florence) could go East Coast/Newfoundland depending on if it does picked up by the ridge to turn it north and away from land, or (as they are now saying may be a possibility, albeit a small one at the moment) it may miss the turn. Wish I was a weatherman- there's two choices, A and B. (It turns or it doesn't) So I get paid to say it could do A, or it could do B. All they do is hedge their bets both ways!

Living in Texas. It's been a quiet Atlantic season thus far which has been nice, although some rain would be nice. Several coastal communities and the Houston area still haven't fully recovered from Harvey. 

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Novica said:

Texas also.  Thanks for the heads up.  So inundated with work that I haven't even looked at the weather. frown  Hopefully it doesn't turn into Harvey Part 2.  It threw our school system off for the 1st quarter of the year.

• Well, apparently I own it as well lol.  We are doing lots of holiday weekend stuff but I will try and squeeze it in around the promos due.  I did finally squeeze in some very quick personal art and storytelling at 3 am last night lol.  We weill be in the Panhandle of Florida end of Sept -to mid Ocotber.  Hopefully it will NOT be a hurrincane!

• Novica said:

I'm in Harlingen down in the Rio Grande Valley 16 miles West from the port of Brownsville and 10 miles North of Mexico

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited September 2018

I live in the land of beautiful horses, fast women, and smooth whiskey.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited September 2018

I just got back online. Now that sucker is up to 90% for tropical storm formation. Here's the best article.  Headed your way, Alabama-Louisiana (and possibly Texas.)  This will be "Gordon." 

From the NWS in Houston: "Our local flash flood decision tree is indicating a high risk of flash flooding with maximum rainfall totals by Monday evening between 8-10 inches. What is worrisome is that the TT WRF is showing a boundary and training cells over Galveston/Brazoria and southern Harris counties Monday morning (09-18z). A Flash Flood Watch will be required tonight and Monday for a large part of SE TX."

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2018

I live in the land of beautiful horses, fast women, and smooth wiskey.

So is that Kentucky or Tennessee? Or neither? And I'm just referring to the horses, to be clear! 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited September 2018

OT: Fiynn the Cockatiel (Pronounced Finn)

So I've been looking to get another pet bird so all the bird room stuff can get utilized. My two lineolated parakeets are adorbs, but they aren't huge in the playing department. They are a perfect bird otherwise- SO quiet, friendly, and people oriented. I did also recommend the Half Moon Conure to a forum member, but they don't have any locally which is not surprising, and those are slightly louder (it varies greatly with those.)  So the bird store owner here and I have been friendly for years (not "friends" as we don't hang out together) and when I called about cockatiels, I was told about a cockatiel who was just returned to them yesterday afternoon.

The bird's owner adored this bird, bought a huge cage for it and toys galore. There was a family emergency and the owner couldn't keep the bird, it was going to be an extended  timeperiod and they just didn't want to do that to the bird. (I'm thinking out of town.) They described the cockatiel as pampered, friendly, starting to talk, cuddly, and curious. He was also one of the rarer lutinos (which is a gorgeous yellow-white.) I had asked about a male (they are known to be better talkers and whistlers than the females in cockatiels- although there are exceptions of course.)  This little guy was just returned yesterday afternoon, and the heartbroken owner asked that the cage be included! 

Well, I didn't need the cage so they whacked the price down a little, and gave me his toys (many are WAY too big for a tiel)  He is a DNA confirmed male, and get this- his birthday is St Patrick's Day! He is six months old, they got him at 4 months and only had him a month and a half. He loves to be kissed on his cheek and beak, but doesn't like hands to scritch him. We'll work on that.

Since his birthday is an Irish holiday, I looked up Irish names and Fiynn (Finn)  means "ruddy." Since his cheeks are definitely ruddy, Fiynn it is! (I call him Fiynnigan when baby talking him.)  (Finnigan)  You'll never guess what they named this gorgeous yellow-white bird..... COCOA.  Nope, not happening.

So when we were eating dinner, we heard the noise from the bird room and went to the door. Fiynn was chatting to himself! He was making long sentences, which is GREAT! But I couldn't understand them. I'm talking eight or nine words. So this should be fun! While I'm at the computer I can chat with him.

Anyway, this is part of the bird room, (Just his corner and cage) and I didn't have time to set up hanging bird toys from the grapevine "orbiter" as I call it. It's really neat, it is sitting on the table but you can also hang them from the ceiling. (Beware letting birds stay higher than you for long periods of time. Can cause behavior issues as they are in the dominent position.)  Tabletop graveine stands are the way to go (you'll see one on the table) instead of those cheapie dowel-type stands. 

Anyone else have pet birds?  

Picture 1: when I got him out, he stayed on my finger then worked his way up my arm, nibbling at my sleeve. Very gentle.

Picture 2: you can see the huge blue cage tucked in the employee room, with Fiynn near the top. The macaw cage in the background will give you an idea of how huge that cage was. The one he's in (maroon, next image) is smaller but my birds aren't in their cages very often, and it's still very large. They spared no expense on that cage, which told me how well this bird was cared for and cared about. I know they miss him.

Picture 3:  The orbiter, table top gravevine tree, and Fiynn's cage with playpen on top.
    TIP: Dog pee pads are great for cage liners and general liners for tables where the playpens go. 
    TIP: Read the package, but rabbit habitats/ ferret habitats that are natural grass make great beds and chewables. DO read if it is verified as a natural, no chemical product. That's what is hanging in the orbiter! 

(Fiynn)  "LIKE, WOW MAN!" 

FiynnSept2 2018Store Head.png
    541 x 800 - 574K
    FiynnSept2 2018Store.png
    675 x 900 - 1M
    FiynnSept2 2018.png
    900 x 675 - 898K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited September 2018

Fiynn is adorable! Someday I'll get some birds again.

Trish

Edit: I guess need some glasses. I misread your bird's name blush

Post edited by Stormlyght on
  • Fine looking bird

I inadvertently posted in the thread in The Commons, but I still wanted to mention the information here. I discovered not all the Sketchy shaders are working as expected in the 4.11 Beta, which I run along side the latest release of version 4.9. I'm now working on a couple of images in 4.9 and it seems to be working just fine. I have an image I modifed, rendered and saved via 4.9, then opened and rendered via the beta. I'll post those in a bit.

It's annoying, too, as the beta renders faster than 4.9…
    crying

I haven't upgraded to the 4.10 release yet, so I can speak to how well the shader set works in that version.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    L'Adair said:

I inadvertently posted in the thread in The Commons, but I still wanted to mention the information here. I discovered not all the Sketchy shaders are working as expected in the 4.11 Beta, which I run along side the latest release of version 4.9. I'm now working on a couple of images in 4.9 and it seems to be working just fine. I have an image I modifed, rendered and saved via 4.9, then opened and rendered via the beta. I'll post those in a bit.

crying

I haven't upgraded to the 4.10 release yet, so I can speak to how well the shader set works in that version.

Submit a hlep request about this. Maybe they can fix it before release of 4.11 or inform the PA that an update is needed to work with 4.11.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

Anyone else have pet birds?  

Hello Flynn! Nice looking bird. We had a succession of parakeets but none at the moment. Too much travel. Still have all the equipment though, so someday I hope to get another pair. 

Thanks everyone! Note it is Fiynn though, not Flynn. (Pronounced Finn)  I went with the exact Irish spelling :)   It's hard to see the i is not an l and even as I type this, my eyes are crossing LOL. 

I'm using 4.10 but didn't test all the shaders. The three I tried, no problem. 

Fiynn is gorgeous! He looks like he is going to be such a fun companion heart

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039

I don't know where the spelling Fiynn comes from but it isn't Irish. There is Finn or Fionn both meaning white or fair.

Ruddy in Gaelic is luisniúil.

In Scottish Gaelic I know it as Dearg.

https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/ruddy

I don't have the two sites still open, but found it on several. And the Gaelic was different, but I don't recall the exact spelling.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039

I can only think they have spelt it wrong or you are seeing the 'l' as an 'i'.

Flynn is the Irish Gaelic name taken from Flann which means Ruddy.

https://ireland-calling.com/irish-names-flynn/

barbult said:
    L'Adair said:

crying

Submit a hlep request about this. Maybe they can fix it before release of 4.11 or inform the PA that an update is needed to work with 4.11.

Doh. I shoulda thought of that! lol

Okay, here are the two image, both rendered to 250 iterations. These are big images, so you can see the detail, if you want. I recommend opening each in a new tab and cycling between them to really see the difference. These small images link directly to the full size image of 2K x 2.6K.

Rendered Via Ds 4 11 Beta, by L'Adaor Rendered Via Ds 4 9 Released, by L'Adair

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:
    L'Adair said:

crying

Doh. I shoulda thought of that! lol

Okay, here are the two image, both rendered to 250 iterations. These are big images, so you can see the detail, if you want. I recommend opening each in a new tab and cycling between them to really see the difference. These small images link directly to the full size image of 2K x 2.6K.

Rendered Via Ds 4 11 Beta, by L'Adaor Rendered Via Ds 4 9 Released, by L'Adair

DS 4.11 has changed a setting in the Surfaces pane. It sets Reverse Normals On (I don't know the exact name, but something like that). Try turning that off on the character's skin and see if the helps.

I tried redoing "At Peace" before I thought to try using 4.9. So I came back to it, after tinkering with the image above. I was not happy that I couldn't get an outline on the grass, flower petals, or leaves. My guess is the "outline" is caused by the curves of the object, not the blunt edges.

I rendered the scene with Draw Dome off. I also rendered the scene empty with Draw Dome on. I then applied several layers of filters to the background to get a toon-like background. The scene layered over the background has no postwork, other than my signature added:

At Peace Reimagined

At Peace Reimagined, by L'Adair

barbult said:

DS 4.11 has changed a setting in the Surfaces pane. It sets Reverse Normals On (I don't know the exact name, but something like that). Try turning that off on the character's skin and see if the helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, @barbult.  I reopened the file, found "Invert Transmission Normal" for the figure's materials and set it to Off, then started a render. Sadly, it didn't change a thing in the render. I was so hoping that was it. I like it when fixes are simple.

edited September 2018
    Fishtales said:

I can only think they have spelt it wrong or you are seeing the 'l' as an 'i'.

Flynn is the Irish Gaelic name taken from Flann which means Ruddy.

https://ireland-calling.com/irish-names-flynn/

Nope, it was an i.  Except they screwed up-  they capitalized it where it says "read more about" so people wouldn't mistake it for an L. But when you go there, it does use an L. But then in all caps, it was an I.  FIYNN  Oh well, I'm keeping it as Fiynn. I like the spelling! 

Post edited by Novica on

The toons are nice and vibrant. It's good to see those :)  You folks did quite nicely! 

edited September 2018

I apologise from the start. I totally misread your instructions @Novica and merrily set out to create a new image for you latest challenge instead of using a scene I already had. I also don't have Sketchy, so I used pwToon and Manga Marker Shaders to help me give toon style eyes to Dolly. I also have the free shader set from the Freebies thread with goes with pwToon. I noticed when I finished that the hair isn't quite right too.

Note to self: re-read the instructions several times before starting anything.

OutlinestyleWEB.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
This discussion has been closed.