Not So Fast! A Contest For Mischief Makers

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    jakiblue said:

I am really really bad at math. seriously. I am so bad that the percentages are confusing me. So could someone please check for me that I have done this correct?

SETS:

First Set:Take the number of pages you have in the Product Library, and multiply it by 20%

Second Set: Use the number above. Subtract 15 pages if you can

I have 147 pages in my product library. So Set One is on page 29. Set Two is from page 14 (29 - 15)

Person: ​Pick a page number in the first 15% to 20% of your pages

Um...what? What page numbers are in my first 15/20% of 147 pages? Sorry, I really really REALLY suck at maths and percentages. 

To find your props, pick vendor from A-L (as my avatar name starts with J) - two or three different vendors. 

Ok, I understand that part. But we are selecting props that we own, from that list, correct?

15-20% or your 147 pages would be from 147*0.15 = 22.05 to 147*0.20 = 29.4

So you need to look at pages 22 through 29. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

god thank you! I'm so glad you put that last line there, cos my head was just swimming looking at the equation. LOL. 

Also, something I've always wondered - why is it the asterix that is used for the multiplication sign and not the x?  

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh this looks like fun!  I will work on getting my lists together at some point tomorrow hopefully.  Its a beach day but I should have time to do it in the evening.

edited August 2018

right, I think I've got it. If I've done something wrong, please let me know. 

Jakiblue's Product Library:

Sets:

Set 1: Forgotten Tunnel Entrance

Set2: Old West Bath House

Props:

Prop 1: Haunted Toys (ARTCollab) Prop: Scareybear

Prop 2: Lemonade Stand (AtticusBones) Prop: the stand

Prop 3: Aslan Statues (Jack Tomalin) Prop: the gargoyle

Person:

Aibell for Gen3F

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241
    jakiblue said:

I am really really bad at math. seriously. I am so bad that the percentages are confusing me. So could someone please check for me that I have done this correct?

SETS:

First Set:Take the number of pages you have in the Product Library, and multiply it by 20%

I have 147 pages in my product library. So Set One is on page 29. Set Two is from page 14 (29 - 15)

Um...what? What page numbers are in my first 15/20% of 147 pages? Sorry, I really really REALLY suck at maths and percentages. 

To find your props, pick vendor from A-L (as my avatar name starts with J) - two or three different vendors. 

Ok, I understand that part. But we are selecting props that we own, from that list, correct?

After reading this I feel so much better, I'm a pup in terms of product pages in comparison! :)

The "Now Available" and "Yes I own it" ones are confusing me. The "Now Available" list: what am I doing there? Listing products that I own that I'm not planning on using? And the "Yes I Own It" list - do I say which ones of Novica's list that I own, and then add some of my own? 

I'm going off Barbult's posts that she has made, but I'm still lost. LOL. 

jakiblue said:

god thank you! I'm so glad you put that last line there, cos my head was just swimming looking at the equation. LOL. 

Also, something I've always wondered - why is it the asterix that is used for the multiplication sign and not the x?  

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

I don't know why * instead of ×. It seems like either would be understood by the reader.
  • 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited August 2018
    barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

I don't know why * instead of ×. It seems like either would be understood by the reader.

Computer algebra perhaps ?  Consider x squared... :o)

x * x

x x x     ...     ooo, my computer loves me!

barbult said:

It took hours to make just my lists, with all that tracking down of product pages, copying and pasting links. How are you ever going to keep up with all this???????

I think Novica must be a masochist with far, far too much free time !

From jackieblue's product library I own... NOTHING !

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
    edited August 2018
    Novica said:

@3dcheapskate   ...The next thing you do is pick 3 props, 2 sets, and 1 character you own (from anywhere in your Product Library) to put in the Now Available List...

So here's my next selection for Novica to add to the Now Available List (and yes, I own them all)...

Set: Trinity Atrium
    Set:Spooky Plots
    Character: Tawhak
    Prop: from Urban Warrior (Xena)     ...     Prop: Urban Warrior Sword (...it's ridiculosly large!)
    Prop: Regenerator (DAZ Originals)      ...    Prop: Regenerator
    Prop: from Stellar Fury (Valandar)     ...     Prop: Interstellar Killsat

So ten more items to select for the Now Available list. And time to start looking at everybody else's galleries... to find out what type of googly ( or curveball ) I can pitch at them... Mwa ha ha !

x*x vs. xxx, yes that makes incredible sense. It must be true. It seems so obvious once it is pointed out.
    edited August 2018

edited to put correct list in further post. 

I don't know? Is that what we are supposed to do? I didn't see it that way from the instructions. I thought we were supposed to check the Now Available list.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited August 2018

Now Available!:

Prop 1: Epic Wings for Genesis  (prop: wings) etujedi/DAZ Originals

Prop 2: DAZ Water Pump & Grain Silo (prop: water pump) KRAIG/DAZ Originals

Prop 3: Primordial Barbarian Clothing (prop. wraps, hand & feet) Sarsa/DAZ Originals

Set 1: The Cage

Set 2: Velodome Track

Character: Toon Generations Essentials for Genesis 3

Extras:

Prop: Vintage Boxing Accessories (prop: jump rope) Didier/ironman13/DAZ Originals

Set: DAZ Barn

Character: Morpheus for Genesis 3 Male

Character: Lil' Mermaid for Callie 6

-----

Yes, I, nonesuch00, has all of the 'Now Available!' in this post.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

I'd say she is going to have them in a external document or spread sheet but by product name instead of username I think and multiple user names per product. Product listing also includes the contest category. Maybe Novica is dB programmer too!

I own that!

barbult's Product Library:
    Set 1:  DM's Anardhaus

Prop 3:  Vintage Boxing Accessories (ironman13)    Prop: Speed Bag

Character: Yasuo for Lee 6

+++++

more from Barbult:

Set 1: Old Country Farmhouse
    Set 2: Abandoned Gas Station

+++++

Barbult Additional Now Available Items:

Character: Little Ones Asian Male for Genesis 3 Male
    Props: Table Tennis Prop: Bleachers

jakiblue said:

SETS:

Your person would be chosen from between (147 x 0.15) through (147 x 0.20) = 22 through 29

Yes, I Own it!

Jakiblue's Product Library:

Sets:

Set2: Old West Bath House

Person:

Cailin for Victoria 7

The Now Available list that Novica posted? 3dcheapskate has a Now Available list in his/her post up there, but they aren't mentioned in Novica's original list. good golly, I'm lost. LOL. I'm reading everyone's posts and trying to do the same, but then you posted 2 Product Library lists...so I don't know what to do!!!!

barbult said:
    I don't know? Is that what we are supposed to do? I didn't see it that way from the instructions. I thought we were supposed to check the Now Available list.

edited August 2018

OH WAIT!!! I think I get it now!!!!!! 

From Novica's original post, with my added comments:

a. People post the items they selected from their Product Libraries

Ok I've done that. My character, two sets and three props that I OWN from my product library, according to the math that must be used. 

b. I put your items in the Yes I Own It! List.

c. The other contestants acknowledge whether they have those  exact same products.   Only people who have submitted their Yes I Own Its will be able to participate. The deadline above is strictly enforced. 

AHA!!! So what that means is, I look at everything people have posted in their "Product Library" lists, and I list what I own of those products. So I make a "Yes, I own it!" post, and list the products that I own, from other posters Product Library lists.  

d. ​I will expand your fun and put a list of items in the Now Available list. There will be props, sets, characters that I chose to liven things up.

e. Contestants also acknowledge ownership of those items.This is why you must keep checking in. As people list their items, you let me know if you own them.

So I then make a Now Available list and I list the products Novica put in there, that I OWN. 

f.  For the Now Available list: Contestants also submit from ANY DAZ VENDOR:  a minimum of three props, a character, and two sets THAT YOU OWN. Try to pick funky, fun items that they want to stick other contestants with!  (but you, too, may end up on the receiving end!)  While we are setting this up, you may supply a list of up to 10 other items (WITH LINKS) whether you own them or not, so we can get a fun list going. Go for things you think would be hard to put in a render, but not extremely old. So you can contribute up to 13 things for the list.

My Now Available list will be updated by me, with up to 6 items that I own, but that I did not put in my original Product Library list. And I can add another 10 items from the store regardless of whether I own them or not.  

Ok, have I got it? 

edited August 2018
    jakiblue said:

The Now Available list that Novica posted? 3dcheapskate has a Now Available list in his/her post up there, but they aren't mentioned in Novica's original list. good golly, I'm lost. LOL. I'm reading everyone's posts and trying to do the same, but then you posted 2 Product Library lists...so I don't know what to do!!!!

barbult said:

I think Novica will add them to the master list ? (I've edited my Now Available post slightly to hopefully make it a bit more clear)

Here's my understanding of what each of us is supposed to do in phase 1 (which ends at the end of Saturday Aug 11th, DAZ time):

1) Select 2 sets + 1 character + 3 props using the complicated product-library-page-number and what-letter-does-your-username-begin-with rules. These are your personal 'Product Library' selections. Novica will add these to the master Yes I Own It! List

2) Select another 2 sets +1 character + 3 props - these can be anything (from DAZ) that you own. Novica will add these to the master Now Available List

3) Select another 10 items (from DAZ). They can be sets, characters, or props. And you can choose thing you don't own. Novica will also add these to the master Now Available List.

4) Sometime before phase 1 is complete everybody has to look through all the items in the master Yes I Own It! List and  the master Now Available List and let Novica know which ones you own. Novica will append peoples names to each item.So at the end of phase 1 there will be (6 * Number Of Entrants) entries in the master Yes I Own It! List and ( ( (6+10) * Number Of Entrants) ) + However Many Novica Adds ) in the master Now Available List )

4a) You don't have to wait till the master lists are complete to tell Novica what items you own from the ones that other people have selected. You can do this as peplepost their own selections for (1), (2) and (3)

I think that's it ?

I'd say she is going to have them in a external document or spread sheet but by product name instead of username I think and multiple user names per product. Product listing also includes the contest category. Maybe Novica is dB programmer too!

Or maybe she has a very, very big sheet of paper and lots of different coloured crayons...

Most non-programmers and folk that didn't take math beyond Consumer Math will not be familar with algebra or computer programming so * instead of the x for times would likely be confusing. I know I failed 3 years of high school and didn't attempt Algebra or Computer Programming until college when I was forced to so I was really not liking that * notation for times or the other notions used different than elementary school. It's been a long time but I think in Consumer Math & such classes we'd always use capital letters for variables, eg, A, B, C, X, and so on. The multiplication was always little x or a period in the middle of the line (my computer doesn't even have a dot in the middle of a line for a times sign. It's been a long time since I used that.

Anyway, I have a couple of 3Dcheapskate's latest list:

I Own That!

3DCheapSkate:

Prop: from Urban Warrior (Xena)     ...     Prop: Urban Warrior Sword
    Prop: from Stellar Fury (Valandar)     ...     Prop: Interstellar Killsat

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@jakiblue   That can be a set, we won't get that picky. 

You did the sets right. Then for the people, take .15 x 147 and that is page 22. You can pick any page from pages 22- 29   (say page 25) and start at the top and grab the first person. If no one on that page, go back to page 24. So you can randomly pick any page number between 22-29 and look for a character.

And yes, these are all items you own. That is called the Product Library List. 

Once you get that done, from ANYWHERE in your Product Library (meaning you own them) I need a separate list of the same thing again- 2 sets, 3 props, 1 character for you to have in the Now Available list.

Then you can do TEN MORE if you'd like (and I'd do it) of things you own or DON'T own, for the Now Available list. Personally, I do things I own so it gives me more options if someone sends me over to that list!  If you do more, please label it as additional Now Available and you do need to say what you do and don't own. I wont' assume you own them all unless you tell me. :) 

Any more questions, just ask. I'll be online all night. I just got back from the barn after midnight, a horse had to have a breathing treatment (mask) so I stayed to help.

Working my way through the posts-  I have Barbult underway.  @nonesuch00   Would you mind selecting a different character? The Essentials is more utility type rather than a specific character. Just replace it in your post and let me know here when you make the change. I'm working on the rest of that post now.

this is embarrassing, THREE times people helped me with that "15/20% of your pages" and said pages 22-29 to select your person. 

Know what page I picked? Page 7. 

:headdesk:

I don't know HOW i managed that. I edited my post @Novica here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3844286/#Comment_3844286 to put in teh correct choice for person (from page 26). 

edited August 2018

...so * instead of the x for times would likely be confusing...

Indeed !  x², x^2, x*x, x×x, x.x, xxx  - they're all the same thing*  - x multiplied by x.

<=== A wise man wink

Don't forget that with modern technology (starting with video recorder remote controls) confusion became the de facto standard !

*more-or-less...

edited August 2018

Checklist: 

I did Barbult's Product Library list, and they are now in the Yes I Own It and marked New. Everyone please check those items and if you haven't told me if you own them, please do.  Just finished nonesuch00 items in the Yes I Own It.  Working on nonesuch00 and putting the five required for the Now Available list.

Post edited by Novica on

What! You don't own Floyd 8, Novica??? I thought I wouldn't have anything you didn't have. laugh

Let me just jump in and help out here. 

The Yes I Own It are going the be the ones everyone is doing first- the three props, two sets, and one character. That's IT. We'll call that their Product Library owned list. After you post your three props, two sets, and one character, other participants tell me if they own it. I put their names by the items. 

The Now Available is going to be what gets a lot of action. If you look at the NSF moves you can make, several send people shopping over there, so to speak. For that one:
    Do a SECOND list of three props, two sets, and a character that you OWN. Because someone may send you over there for a NSF move and you need to be assured of having something there. 

After that, you have the option of doing up to TEN more things for the Now Available list, whether you own them or not. (I would do things I own, frankly.) That's so we increase the options when people are sent to that list on a NSF move. You want to be sure you have a lot of items in that list!

jakiblue said:

The "Now Available" and "Yes I own it" ones are confusing me. The "Now Available" list: what am I doing there? Listing products that I own that I'm not planning on using? And the "Yes I Own It" list - do I say which ones of Novica's list that I own, and then add some of my own? 

I'm going off Barbult's posts that she has made, but I'm still lost. LOL. 

edited August 2018

@nonesuch00   Question, do you own the items in this post?  I'll put them in the Now Available list with your name, but let me know if you do NOT  own them. 

Edit- and yes, no bundles, needs to be a particular one, see next post.

Post edited by Novica on