July Freebie Contest - Summer Gardens

DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
edited July 2013 in Freebies

Welcome to the July “Summer Garden” freebie challenge. For this challenge, you must create your dream summer garden. It can be a vegetable garden, quaint English cottage garden, the gardens of Versailles or your favorite meadow in the summer. So your picture must contain plants and flowers.

The rules are posted here:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/

This thread contains an extensive list of free plant links:
http://xfrog.com/product/BN18.html
http://xfrog.com/product/BN11.html

As BWSman says, "Please read them good and try to stay within them, they will not change throughout this month, so please don’t ask me to make any exceptions. Rules is rules. If you want to discuss one, feel free to bring it to the table here in this thread. We will all discuss it and reach a decision on anything."

Now…Prizes.

The prizes are from DAZ3D, Jaderail & Music2u4u:
1st Place - $15 GC from DAZ3D and $20 GC from Jaderail
2nd Place - $12 GC from DAZ3D and $15 GC from Jaderail
3rd Place $8 GC from DAZ3D and $10 GC from Jaderail
HMs - $5 GCs from yours truly; DollyGirl

Music is offering all winners (including HMs) his Garden Memorial structure and something special for first place.

Everyone entering the contest will receive a lovely $250,000.00 diamond necklace for Victoria 4. It will be in DAZ Studio 4.5 duf format so if you are still on DAZ Studio 4.0 this gift won't work for you. There is a directory containing the objs for Poser and earlier versions of Studio.

Anyone wanting to donate prizes we will accept them most gladly. Just tell me who you want to give them too.

The judges, the Music man, Music2u4u, robkelk and ZamuelNow. My court is complete and I thank the gentlemen for stepping up.

I want to welcome you all and I hope you enjoy this year's July contest.

Here is our lovely V4 model showing off her new necklace and below our lovely model is the banner if you want to use it.

Post edited by DollyGirl on

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Well said DG...(PULLS A WATER GUN OUT!).....now, hand over the necklace!

Tries to run with the necklace, but gets hit in the face by one of Jeeperz pies, then gets wrestled to the ground by Dorsey and Lord Ganthor and cuffed.

"CURSES!...FOILED AGAIN!"....(quote by the Penguin from the 1966 Batman episodes.)

:-)

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited June 2013

Well, my dream garden is a zen garden - lots of white sand, no flowers.

So I doubt I'll enter this month ... which means I'm available as a judge.

Post edited by robkelk on
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited June 2013

One of the donations I will give to ALL the winners, including HMs, will be my garden memorial for our fallen. You can put a statue of whatever you want on top of the center piece if you like.

I will be making something else this month to give to the first place winner alone.

Here is a render of the memorial:

MemorialDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 165K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Well Rob, thanks for the offer. It is now sealed but you still allowed to enter so I am not letting you off the hook yet.

I think you reason for not participating is a little weak, in my opinion. Unless you are talking about the mini zen gardens. Don't get me wrong. Not trying to pressure you but you know those Japanese they love their environments, mountains, rivers, islands, meadows. You can make a zen garden that has a flowering tree and then the moss covered rocks and islands of grass. It is all about harmony. It would be great if someone tried to create a zen garden. Come to think about it I might try to do it. Would be fun to figure out how to make the sand areas.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:

Well Rob, thanks for the offer. It is now sealed but you still allowed to enter so I am not letting you off the hook yet.

I think you reason for not participating is a little weak, in my opinion. Unless you are talking about the mini zen gardens. Don't get me wrong. Not trying to pressure you but you know those Japanese they love their environments, mountains, rivers, islands, meadows. You can make a zen garden that has a flowering tree and then the moss covered rocks and islands of grass. It is all about harmony. It would be great if someone tried to create a zen garden. Come to think about it I might try to do it. Would be fun to figure out how to make the sand areas.

Well... I'm on vacation for a week, then I go back to the office and start doing two people's work until they hire a new person to replace the one who just left. So I'll be either too distracted or too busy to actually render... I think.

I might try a bonsai garden, assuming I can find the right freebies. Don't hold me to that, though.

edited June 2013

music2u4u said:
    Well said DG...(PULLS A WATER GUN OUT!).....now, hand over the necklace!

Tries to run with the necklace, but gets hit in the face by one of Jeeperz pies, then gets wrestled to the ground by Dorsey and Lord Ganthor and cuffed.

"CURSES!...FOILED AGAIN!"....(quote by the Penguin from the 1966 Batman episodes.)

Thanks Music and no robberies allowed in this thread. You have to earn that little pretty. Are you up for the challenge?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

Well of course, as Lord Ganthor will tell you as well, tis quite easy in Bryce. This is one I prepared earlier. 7 years earlier in fact

japanes_fae.jpg
    578 x 768 - 277K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:

Well... I'm on vacation for a week, then I go back to the office and start doing two people's work until they hire a new person to replace the one who just left. So I'll be either too distracted or too busy to actually render... I think.

I might try a bonsai garden, assuming I can find the right freebies. Don't hold me to that, though.

Now that is a good reason. Bonsai garden, whoo yes! xfrog has two samples of bonsai, one is an azalea in bloom. You want the links?When I say flowers it does not have to be the showy ones. Flowers come in all shapes and forms, some not so pretty.

edited December 1969

Very pretty Cho! Those are lovely colors and I see the zen in there!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

heh, even I might be able to enter this one.. maybe *has to check what I have.. and to read the rules more throughly*

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:
    Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:

Now that is a good reason. Bonsai garden, whoo yes! xfrog has two samples of bonsai, one is an azalea in bloom. You want the links?When I say flowers it does not have to be the showy ones. Flowers come in all shapes and forms, some not so pretty.
    Yes, please. You can PM me...

edited June 2013

Carola O said:
    heh, even I might be able to enter this one.. maybe *has to check what I have.. and to read the rules more throughly*

That is wonderful Carola. It is nice to see new people come and play in the freebie contest. There is this thread that opal42987 started that might help you with getting your garden going:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24646/

edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Yes, please. You can PM me...

Well I am thinking that people might like to know where they are especially when one might not be around after today so here are the links to the Bonsai at xfrog:

http://xfrog.com/product/BN18.html
    http://xfrog.com/product/BN11.html

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I always try to wait to see if someone new will judge for the month, but if no one else steps up Dolly, I'll pick up the 3rd judging seat. But please everyone, feel free to jump in and take it from me, it's always good to see some newbies taking the judges chair, and you can still enter if you judge, you just can't vote for your own render.

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    I always try to wait to see if someone new will judge for the month, but if no one else steps up Dolly, I'll pick up the 3rd judging seat. But please everyone, feel free to jump in and take it from me, it's always good to see some newbies taking the judges chair, and you can still enter if you judge, you just can't vote for your own render.

Thank you jeepers, you will be my judge-in-waiting, LOL.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

I finally have an idea for one of these things. How far outside of the box are we allowed to go? My dream garden isn't technically a garden, but has plants, and best suited in an aquarium.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I finally have an idea for one of these things. How far outside of the box are we allowed to go? My dream garden isn't technically a garden, but has plants, and best suited in an aquarium.

There is no stipulation that the plants and flowers have to be based upon real, but that there must be flowers and plants in the picture. You can have plastic flowers in you aquarium but you couldn't count coral as your plant because it is an animal so you need seaweed or sea grass to count as the plant. So if da' Real Man wants to show off his garden of plastic flowers and AstroTurf and if it is his favorite garden it is acceptable. Or if you are Captain Nemo and you want to click a pic of your underwater garden it will count.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Vaskania said:

There is no stipulation that the plants and flowers have to be based upon real, but that there must be flowers and plants in the picture. You can have plastic flowers in you aquarium but you couldn't count coral as your plant because it is an animal so you need seaweed or sea grass to count as the plant. So if da' Real Man wants to show off his garden of plastic flowers and AstroTurf and if it is his favorite garden it is acceptable. Or if you are Captain Nemo and you want to click a pic of your underwater garden it will count.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Vaskania said:

Thanks!

Your welcome

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Mhhh I should kick my lazy ass to enter this challenge to work on my rendering skill. I barely render plants. Only did one render once a few weeks ago. But that was to test IDL on a plant rather than SSS on a rabbit

Render_7_41.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 895K
    edited December 1969

Mhhh I should kick my lazy ass to enter this challenge to work on my rendering skill. I barely render plants. Only did one render once a few weeks ago. But that was to test IDL on a plant rather than SSS on a rabbit

Hey half way there. Well if you don't you wont get a chance to have a $250,000 necklace for your V4. Oh and I am reworking my blinn shaders. Now that I have worked with shader mixer it's a wonder they worked at all. This time I have fixed the issues and so far I have 15 presets. I liked your tribute too. There was a new link with three outfits I did not have. Whoohoo!

edited December 1969

Errr what? You lost me there. I don't use V4 any more but my Genesis 2 Female could be tempted by Jewels like any woman

About your Blinn shaders I'm not sure I can follow you...too fast Dolly I lack informations

edited December 1969

Errr what? You lost me there. I don't use V4 any more but my Genesis 2 Female could be tempted by Jewels like any woman

About your Blinn shaders I'm not sure I can follow you...too fast Dolly I lack informations

You are half way to having a render Takeo. You have a plant, an environment, and lighting. A few more plants and positioning of the camera and you have a render that might qualify.

Genesis2 can use the jewels as well.

As to my blinn shaders. A year ago this month I gave a set of them away as a gift in the freebie contest. The other day I was just playing around with the shaders and found to my horror they were not working. I have learned much since I did the set based upon your help. As a result I have created a larger more stable set of shaders. I was trying to say thank you, in a most awkward way, for the help you provided with my questions about shaders and Shader Builder.

Promo.jpg
    999 x 799 - 497K
    edited December 1969

You're welcome for the shaders :) see I can understand when you tell me the whole story

I don't espescially want to reuse the scene I made. I always try to do something new when I set up a scene and speaking of garden I know what I have in mind and it's a bit different. I saw somewhere an Ivy generator and in a more general way I may try to use a free tree generator I downloaded once. Got to see where I can go with that

I also haven't try to really use the instancing feature so It's a good time to do that.

edited December 1969

You're welcome for the shaders :) see I can understand when you tell me the whole story

I don't espescially want to reuse the scene I made. I always try to do something new when I set up a scene and speaking of garden I know what I have in mind and it's a bit different. I saw somewhere an Ivy generator and in a more general way I may try to use a free tree generator I downloaded once. Got to see where I can go with that

I also haven't try to really use the instancing feature so It's a good time to do that.

Oh thank goodness. I sometimes get ahead of myself. Sounds like a plan on the generators and instancing. I used instancing on my "not an entry" entry for June's challenge. Tree generator for DAZ? most interesting.
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I might try my hand at judging for this. What all needs to be done?

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow... I hand the judging staff to you.
    it's really easy. You will need to be present in the forum during the month and feel free to comment on the renders (but don'[t give a way your favorites). At the end of the month you pm the host with your choices and that is pretty much it. You are still allowed to enter but NO.... picking your own at the end of the month. LOL
    I'm being silly but that is pretty much it.

ZamuelNow said:
    I might try my hand at judging for this. What all needs to be done?
    edited December 1969

Ok Zamuel all you need to do is tell me if you want to do it. There is no form to fill out and the remaining judges will not know your picks just me. I take all of the inputs and give them a weight, like 3 for first place to 1 for 3rd. Then average out the outcome and the first three on the list become the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. I will need Honorable mentions and I will do the same with that list. Top two make it. I break the ties. Easy Peasy

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited December 1969

Nice theme Dollygirl. I love gardens, though I never actually rendered one... nor can I keep a real one alive for more than a few months! This should prove to be a real challenge! LOL
    Now to see if I can remember where all those lovely freebie plants are stored away in my runtime.

edited December 1969

Nice theme Dollygirl. I love gardens, though I never actually rendered one... nor can I keep a real one alive for more than a few months! This should prove to be a real challenge! LOL
    Now to see if I can remember where all those lovely freebie plants are stored away in my runtime.

Thanks I am fond of gardens but I have a brown thumb I am afraid so rendering gardens seemed a good way to have one and keep it around for awhile.