July Freebie Contest - Summer Gardens

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Well, I figured I would break down and enter this month. I am a judge, so I can't vote for myself, so it will be up to you..you..you!

Jerry Skeleton is making a killing growing and selling skulls on Ebay. He has the local morgue drop off cadavers everyday, then he plants them and tends his skull garden until they are just ripe enough to pick. Ummmmm-ummm.

Title: JERRY JERRY...HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=80675_z0wwtIYp2bxVN0HHGZSc&thumb=1&board_id=1

OK, that's quite an...err...interesting garden.

Dana

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    What a nice idea, a nature-oriented freebie contest! How much time do we have please? Also, there's a new ivy prop on Teknology3D you might want: http://www.teknology3d.com/market/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=583. This looks like a smile of fate :D.

Hello and welcome!

We have until the end of the month (DAZ time) to submit renders and lists of links, so there's still three weeks left to find all the free items you'll need...

Thank you a lot for such a rapid and kind reply! I'm searching ShareCG for plants and garden architecture at the moment. May I also ask a few other questions please?

- The rules state I have to provide the links. Fortunately I copy links from ShareCG and Rendo, so I hope it won't be too difficult. But is there a special way to submit it? Is simply copy-pasting okay or I ought to use BB-Code?
    - Are UberEnvironment lights - at least from Genesis Starter Essentials - considered a purchasable?
    - I enjoy creating my own morphs with sliders/dials. I made a couple of characters for Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest (it's running here), would they count as purchasables or not? I'm confused, because we're providing the list of sliders used, so anyone can retry the character as if it was a freebie).
    - Is Mitsu Hair for A3 considered a freebie? I got it when it was totally free, somewhere in 2012 (before DAZ decided to host "Buy something and get a freebie" rule). Now it's still in Freebie Area, but it's only free when you buy something.
    - Can I use my own shaders - created from unrestricted stocks from DA and/or Microsoft Office free cliparts - as freebies?

Thanks in advance and regards.
    Links: to post a link, you simply copy the link from the site in question, and paste it in the thread using [ url ] [ /url ] (with spaces removed) on either side. The other way to do it is to paste it like this: [ url = link ] name of item [ /url ] (remove spaces).

Uber Environment: anything that comes with Daz Studio is considered a "No-Count" item. In other words it doesn't count towards either your Freebie Count or your purchased items count.

Slider morphs: If the dial-spun character used paid-for morphs, you must count those as one of your paid for items. If you use a Freebie package to make your dial-spun character, count that as one of your freebies as well. My characters use a combination of freebie and paid for morph packages, and I include them all.

Mitsu Hair comes with the Anime Starfighter Bundle, which is "Free with Purchase", so it does still count as a Freebie.

Yes, you can use your own Shaders. They count as "No-Counts" unless you make them available for other either for free or for purchase, at which point, they must be counted as either a Freebie or Paid-for item, and linked to.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

robkelk said:
    What a nice idea, a nature-oriented freebie contest! How much time do we have please? Also, there's a new ivy prop on Teknology3D you might want: http://www.teknology3d.com/market/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=583. This looks like a smile of fate :D.

Hello and welcome!

We have until the end of the month (DAZ time) to submit renders and lists of links, so there's still three weeks left to find all the free items you'll need...

Thank you a lot for such a rapid and kind reply! I'm searching ShareCG for plants and garden architecture at the moment. May I also ask a few other questions please?

- The rules state I have to provide the links. Fortunately I copy links from ShareCG and Rendo, so I hope it won't be too difficult. But is there a special way to submit it? Is simply copy-pasting okay or I ought to use BB-Code?
    - Are UberEnvironment lights - at least from Genesis Starter Essentials - considered a purchasable?
    - I enjoy creating my own morphs with sliders/dials. I made a couple of characters for Genesis Custom-Dialed Character Contest (it's running here), would they count as purchasables or not? I'm confused, because we're providing the list of sliders used, so anyone can retry the character as if it was a freebie).
    - Is Mitsu Hair for A3 considered a freebie? I got it when it was totally free, somewhere in 2012 (before DAZ decided to host "Buy something and get a freebie" rule). Now it's still in Freebie Area, but it's only free when you buy something.
    - Can I use my own shaders - created from unrestricted stocks from DA and/or Microsoft Office free cliparts - as freebies?

The Rules are posted here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/ We have tried to make them as simple to understand as possible.

As you can see DAZ 3D freebies are counted as freebies, regardless. In fact the weekly ones can be used as long as they were free in the month the contest is in, so all July weekly freebies can be used in the July contest.

Links, there is no need to use any fancy code stuff, you can just copy and paste. Please do note if any of the sites need a log in to get to them (such as share CG)

Please note that we expect you to use as many different sites for freebies as possible. so only a limited number from each freebie site.

There is now a list of sites with plant freebies, which may help you http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24646/

Lots of lists like this can be found in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/75/

Paid for morph packs are regarded as a paid for item,

Post edited by Chohole on
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Hello and welcome!

Links: to post a link, you simply copy the link from the site in question, and paste it in the thread using [ url ] [ /url ] (with spaces removed) on either side. The other way to do it is to paste it like this: [ url = link ] name of item [ /url ] (remove spaces).

Uber Environment: anything that comes with Daz Studio is considered a "No-Count" item. In other words it doesn't count towards either your Freebie Count or your purchased items count.

Slider morphs: If the dial-spun character used paid-for morphs, you must count those as one of your paid for items. If you use a Freebie package to make your dial-spun character, count that as one of your freebies as well. My characters use a combination of freebie and paid for morph packages, and I include them all.

Mitsu Hair comes with the Anime Starfighter Bundle, which is "Free with Purchase", so it does still count as a Freebie.

Yes, you can use your own Shaders. They count as "No-Counts" unless you make them available for other either for free or for purchase, at which point, they must be counted as either a Freebie or Paid-for item, and linked to.

You explained all that pretty darn good TG. Couldn't have done better myself. Thanks for helping her.

:-)

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited July 2013

chohole said:
    Please note that we expect you to use as many different sites for freebies as possible. so only a limited number from each freebie site.

I used 14 different sites with my entry. This will show you just how many there really are out there if you just look for them.

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ok, poping in with very stupid qestion ;)
    .obj files can be used and counted as freebies? I thought there was some formats that can be used, I forgot if .obj count or not ;)

edited December 1969

obj is fine. 3ds can't be read by DS, although both Poser and Bryce can import them.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

The problem I have run into, is that several freebies (from Xfrog amongst others) aren't even in folders.. the zip just contains a file or two.. for example something.obj, or if two files something.obj and something.mtl

I don't even have a clue on where to even put those things *sighs* I THINK i might have been able to get enough freebies, from different places to qualify though.. will see if I can get the things to work in studio too so I can get that render going *smiles*

edited July 2013

Carola O said:
    The problem I have run into, is that several freebies (from Xfrog amongst others) aren't even in folders.. the zip just contains a file or two.. for example something.obj, or if two files something.obj and something.mtl

I don't even have a clue on where to even put those things *sighs* I THINK i might have been able to get enough freebies, from different places to qualify though.. will see if I can get the things to work in studio too so I can get that render going *smiles*

Import the OBJ. The mtl contains info about the MaTeriaL and you don't need to worry about that, but don't lose it of the obj won't work right.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Yay.. I knew it was or obj, or 3ds, that was not read in one app.
    Carola O what chohole said :) go to file - import and choose obj of your choosing. you can later even add it to library as a prop for further use ;)

edited December 1969

Ah, thanks :) Might do that with some I have found later on.. but for now, I am on my way to build a garden *smiles* actually only considering whether to switch the ground to something else or not. Than it's lights that is needed before putting it up *smiles*

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Another question about OBJs (and actually any other props, now that I think about it): If I use a shader to retexture one, does it become a no-count item? The one I'm wanting to use in this case is a paid-for shader, so I'd list it with the purchased items, of course.

And another question, too: If a free plant comes in .3ds format, and can be converted to .obj or .pp2 with a free utility like PropViewer (http://www.sharecg.com/v/43389/), can it be counted?

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Cuisle said:
    Another question about OBJs (and actually any other props, now that I think about it): If I use a shader to retexture one, does it become a no-count item? The one I'm wanting to use in this case is a paid-for shader, so I'd list it with the purchased items, of course.

You count the original object as a freebie item, and the shader separately as a paid for item.

And another question, too: If a free plant comes in .3ds format, and can be converted to .obj or .pp2 with a free utility like PropViewer (http://www.sharecg.com/v/43389/), can it be counted?

I don't see why not, but I'll let the admins answer that.
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited July 2013

Carola O said:

This set of steps are what I use with my objs when I do not want to make duf or poser files for them.

I have a directory called My objects. In there I have sub directories for things like furniture, plants and such and below them I have directories for each object, (chairs, tables, lamps) I have.

So first create such a directory.
    Copy the obj, mtl and textures into their directory.
    Click on your content Library tab and look for the arrow with 4 lines button up at the top right.
    Click on Content Directory Manager.
    Click right on “Other Import Formats” and select Add a Base Directory. You want this to be high enough that all of the obj directories you create can be seen. So my base directory is My objects.
    Click on Accept.
    Click on the arrow with 4 lines button again and this time select Scan Known Directories for Files. When it is done searching you will now have new information in the Default categories if you use the content library and you will also have new information under the Other Import Formats.
    You can now go to the directory through the content library to the directory that has your new obj. Click on the new icon and DAZ will import the obj and use the mtl file to texturize the surface of the obj.

If you want a thumb for the new icon then under Render settings
    set you render up for a 91 by 91 pixel file.
    for Folder browse to the directory of obj.
    Type the same name as the obj has minus the .obj. Choose .png format
    Select the Image File radial button.
    Click on the Render button.
    In the content library go to the directory where the obj file is and right click in the window where the icon is and select refresh. You should now have a pretty picture of your new chair.

Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

Cuisle said:

You cannot redistribute any geometry files without written permission from the artist. However, if you will strip it out of geometry, and put instructions in the read me (link to the file, where to put it) I think it can be done. You do not need any special converting software since it can be done in poser/ds ( ds files can be only read by Daz Studio) .
    As for stripping the goemoetry files http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?ClassificationID=30 , this is free utility. works only with obj.
    Still it would be nice before taking any action to ask orginal creator of said object if they will consent ;)

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Well, I figured I would break down and enter this month. I am a judge, so I can't vote for myself, so it will be up to you..you..you!

Jerry Skeleton is making a killing growing and selling skulls on Ebay. He has the local morgue drop off cadavers everyday, then he plants them and tends his skull garden until they are just ripe enough to pick. Ummmmm-ummm.

Title: JERRY JERRY...HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?

Nice one Music. Your ENTRY IS ACCEPTED! I will be PMing you shortly.

edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    A "thank you" render with the diamonds. These are the object files, as I'm rendering in DS3, with glass shaders. A very pretty set of jewelry for V4.

I'm planning on doing something with the backyard pool too, but that'll take me a little longer than a basic portrait render. :)

Ooh mmalbert she is lovely!

Image27.jpg
    375 x 500 - 102K
    edited December 1969

Cuisle said:

I am not familiar with that utility, are you sure it actually converts things from one format to another?

Music is the only one who can really rule on this one. I know he is familiar with converting things from one format to another. This is a discussion that has occurred before, so I think we need to wait for him to answer really.

edited December 1969

And here I am with another stupid question. we can use up to 3 payed for item right? Are they limited to some sort, or payed for lights can be also used?

edited December 1969

Tramp Graphics and Chohole, thanks!

Chohole, PropViewer does actually convert the meshes. It's pretty cool. So far when I've used it to convert from .3ds to .pp2, it hasn't brought the materials or the material zones across (unless there's something I'm not doing right), but .3ds-to-.obj has worked great almost every time. Of course, one time something went wonky was with a lovely fountain model, where one of the material zones won't "take" any texture I try to apply in the ways I know how, either the one the model came with or any other. But shaders do work on that zone, which is why I was asking about using shaders.

Krissy, thanks! I wouldn't be redistributing meshes, though--just converting to a format that Studio can work with, and making a render.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    This set of steps are want I use with my objs when I do not want to make duf or poser files for them.

So useful, thank you! I've been keeping objs in that kind of directory structure, but I was uncertain and hesitant about trying to map it with the Content Directory Manager. I'll definitely do it now--that'll be very convenient compared with using File>Import every time, or going through and making dufs out of everything.

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    And here I am with another stupid question. we can use up to 3 payed for item right? Are they limited to some sort, or payed for lights can be also used?

3 paid for items, what ever they are. So it could be one figure, one prop, one morph, one texture, one set of lights, etc any combo you need. As long as only 3 items used are paid for.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Krissy said:

3 paid for items, what ever they are. So it could be one figure, one prop, one morph, one texture, one set of lights, etc any combo you need. As long as only 3 items used are paid for.

ok, thank you. :D

edited December 1969

Summer Sanctuary

jgugliuzza
    Thank you for entering the contest. I hope to see many more from you in the future. This is a fun way to build up your run time, collect some awesome models and hopefully learn some cool things about DAZ Studio. Since Rob is away I will do the analysis of the image. Your first entry is always nerve racking. Did I do it right and such. I want you to be assured that what you have begun is not terrible or worthless. We just have some things that need some work.

Technical
    Your links check out except for the following.

I know that you linked to the rendo page where the freebie was available when you obtained your links. Unfortunately page links are dynamic in that as people add a freebie to the repository individual items will move from one page to another. So it is better to link to the item directly. Below I have provided you with the appropriate links for the items you have listed as being at Renderosity.

Wrought Iron Bench http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=70611
    Pergola Paradise http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=65018
    Jakarandabaume http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=70887
    Rattan Table http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=68883
    Rattan Chair http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=68875

To accept your render can you please change the links to the above listed items. Our rules can be confusing sometime, what is a legal link or not, so not knowing just how things work is perfectly acceptable. Now if you were one of the old timers then I would be sending you a PM with WHAT????!!! to you.

Composition and Artistic
    The scene has the appropriate level of lighting. We can see everything in the scene. We have focusing techniques being applied with the angling of props towards the focus of the scene and of light and dark textures being used. We also see framing of the focal point (table and chairs) by the pergola, which is a good technique. You have added depth by having the wall in the background and then the mountains behind the wall. You do have a large empty area in front of your focal point that if I were working with this picture I would add some more plants to. Another way I could address the empty spot is to move the wrought iron bench and the statue behind the pergola and move the camera towards the focal point (chairs and table) catching the statue, bench, Oak tree and bird house.

Just one last thing to consider and that is the use of shadows. As humans we respond to shadows. Using shadows captures our interest by making our brains focus on the image. It takes our brains just a little longer to process an image if we have to deal with light and dark areas, thus we look at the picture longer and see more of what is going on. Shadows also tell us other information like depth of the scene we are looking at and what time of day and the weather. To not have shadows in your image is like cutting the story short and not telling us the end of the story. I highly recommend playing around with the shadow option on your lights and see what happens. You find shadows on the Parameter tab when the light is selected in the scene.

So jgugliuzza, if you make the link changes to your entry I will accept your entry and you will receive the Diamond Necklace for V4. Again thank you for entering the contest. I see a seed of greatness in your render and I am looking forward to your next composition.

Image28.jpg
    900 x 618 - 659K
    edited July 2013

Wow.. I managed to complete this... Somehow, what started out as a fairly small piece ended up... way bigger than I expected *laughs* I am a little unsure about a couple of items, so put them by themselves under the Unsure *smiles*

If I need to be chewed on due to links etc remember I taste best together with chocolate sauce and strawberries *winks*

Freebies :

* Autumn yellow maple - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=69850 (requires registration)

* Clematis and Chestnut - http://www.sharecg.com/v/50865/View/11/Poser/Clematis-and-Chestnut-for-Poser (requires registration)

* Zippy's Secret Garden - http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=64121&ReferMember=9515&AID=144 (requires registration)

* Spring Shrub - http://www.runtimedna.com/newsletter/2013_03_08/index.html

* Spring Flurs - http://www.runtimedna.com/newsletter/2013_02_15/index.html

* Celtic Garden Furniture - http://www.freewebs.com/mapps/downloads6.htm

* Vikike's Ground - http://vikike176.deviantart.com/art/Vikike-s-Ground-01-270472721

* Fairy Pond (Pond with 4 plants) - http://www.sharecg.com/v/7186/3d-model/Pond-with-4-plants (requires registration)

* Corner Ruin - http://www.mortemvetus.com/free_downloads.php?page=5

* Elle for V6 - http://www.most-digital-creations.com/elle_v6.htm

* Coffee/tea cup - http://freeposes.net/freebie-archives/189-free-poses-for-v4 (came with the pose I've used)

* Mitzu Hair for A3 - http://www.daz3d.com/anime-star-fighter (requires registration, free with purchase (I think?) )

* Background - http://www.morguefile.com/archive/#/?q=file1011313612842

Unsure (not sure what these counts as if any?) :

V6 (required for the character I think. According to the name it says Elle for V6, in the information it says V6 and genesis 2 female. The body loads when clicked)

The pose is from http://freeposes.net/freebie-archives/189-free-poses-for-v4 (It came in the package as the coffee cup so shares the link)

Top and Shorts (came with Genesis 2 female Essentials)

Paid For :

* Lightset from Easy Enviroment Greenlands

* Norma skin on the female (the shape didn't come with a skin unfortunately)

Title : Mountain Garden

Intro to the pic : "They claimed that I would never be able to make a personal garden up here in the mountains, I decided to prove them wrong"

mountain_garden.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 344K
    Post edited by Carola O on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148
    edited December 1969

Cuisle said:
    Tramp Graphics and Chohole, thanks!

Chohole, PropViewer does actually convert the meshes. It's pretty cool. So far when I've used it to convert from .3ds to .pp2, it hasn't brought the materials or the material zones across (unless there's something I'm not doing right), but .3ds-to-.obj has worked great almost every time. Of course, one time something went wonky was with a lovely fountain model, where one of the material zones won't "take" any texture I try to apply in the ways I know how, either the one the model came with or any other. But shaders do work on that zone, which is why I was asking about using shaders.

Krissy, thanks! I wouldn't be redistributing meshes, though--just converting to a format that Studio can work with, and making a render.

Thanks for this useful information about PropViewer, I didn't realise it could do that! (I've only ever used it to "see" an .obj file quickly). I have acquired several 3ds models from various free sources but never knew what to do with them (I'm a DS not a Poser user so far) so this is really interesting to hear.
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Wow.. I managed to complete this... Somehow, what started out as a fairly small piece ended up... way bigger than I expected *laughs*
    Title : Mountain Garden

Intro to the pic : "They claimed that I would never be able to make a personal garden up here in the mountains, I decided to prove them wrong"

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=80920_YjGKXHJWKnKjdcPuOwjK&thumb=1&board_id=1

Very nice, and a narrative as well! Good job!

Dana

edited December 1969

Carola O,
    Oh no, no chewing allowed in here except of coarse for celibi's cookies and the parts of the cream pie that lands in your mouth. I want to thank you as well for taking on the challenge. I do so enjoy seeing new people come and play in the freebie challenge contest. So my dear on to your lovely render.

Technical

All of your links check out. You have even remembered to add annotation when a site requires registration or not. Good for you! Here is how you should categorize your unsure category.
    The Elle character uses three things, Genesis 2 base figure (no count), Evolution Morphs for Genesis (paid for), and V6 (paid for). I got this information by looking at the elle's duf. At the bottom of the file it lists the morphs used for each of the mesh groups in the Genesis 2 base figure. So if you do not have Evolution Morphs and V6, then you have not exceeded you paid for count. If you do then I would pull the Norma skin textures off your Genesis2F and just use the Bree textures that came with Genesis 2. For your pose what you have listed in your freebie list is what you do. Since the cup and pose come from one freebie it can only count as one. You have classified the clothing correctly as no count.

So to accept your render moving your unsures to where they need to go is required. AS I told jgugliuzza not knowing the ropes is perfectly acceptable.

Composition and Artistic

Your scene is well lit and includes the oh so important shadows. You have employed a wonderful technique that I call triangles. I see several ways you have done this, with the trees, with the structures (table, pond and ruin) and with the grounds and background you have used. I love the color in your render from the blue sky to the autumn leaves on the trees. You have avoided having an empty spot in front of Genesis by having changing elevations and using some of the elevation lines to help direct the eye to the focal point.

If I were working on this render I would employ one other triangle technique and that is with color. You started it with the yellow trees and you made a triangle with the red trees and red bush but this triangle is to flat. I want to use the sides of the triangle to be the pathways for my viewer's eyes and I want the eyes to move over all of the picture. So pulling the red or the yellow to the very foreground will give the big sweeping paths that will make the eyes drink in the view. The only other thing I would do is add a back rest for Genesis. She does not look comfortable enough, maybe a pile of boulders that she is leaning against.

This is a nice render and I am glad you put your sig on it. You should be proud of your effort. You have done a good job. Thank you again for participating. Waiting with baited breath for your changes. So looking forward to sending you the necklace.

Just in case you are feeling blue here is your chocolate and strawberries! :)

strawberries.jpg
    500 x 500 - 308K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Hey, Music!! T'anks again fer da pool! Me 'n' Big Eddie Mac found da poifect place fer it in da truck ya'd of a empty factory on a'hun'ded an' thoity toid 'n' Lex. Yeah, just stan'in' dere empty, like she wuz'a waitin' fer us or sumt'in'! Dis is gonna be great! Wit Big Eddie runnin' da concession stand and me woirkin' da crowds, we're gonna make a fortune! An' I already got it figured out wut we're gonna' do dis winter! Once dat pool freezes over, we're gonna' open a ice skatin' rink and make even more bucks! Sees ya on Walls Street dere, buddy!

Hokay, so dis is off topic...see ya in court.

!!!FINAL_POOL_SHOT.jpg
    800 x 581 - 524K
    edited December 1969

Hey, Music!! T'anks again fer da pool! Me 'n' Big Eddie Mac found da poifect place fer it in da truck ya'd of a empty factory on a'hun'ded an' thoity toid 'n' Lex. Yeah, just stan'in' dere empty, like she wuz'a waitin' fer us or sumt'in'! Dis is gonna be great! Wit Big Eddie runnin' da concession stand and me woirkin' da crowds, we're gonna make a fortune! An' I already got it figured out wut we're gonna' do dis winter! Once dat pool freezes over, we're gonna' open a ice skatin' rink and make even more bucks! Sees ya on Walls Street dere, buddy!

Hokay, so dis is off topic...see ya in court.

This is so great! :D

Dana