Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

@Carola O

Just so you know... almost every single dForce clothing outfit will also perform as a conformed clothing piece.  There are a very, very limited number of products that are dForce only, everything else conforms like you are used to. I hope that helps you purchase with confidence.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I'm sorry to say.. that not a single Dforce item I have bought, has had ANY movement morphs at all... which means that I can't really use it. It conforms yes, that isn't a problem. The problem is that if I pose my character and want to move the skirt, or the coat, or opening the jacket a little to indicate movement or wind.. I can Not do that, since there is NO morphs for that. There is adjustment morphs, but that's as far as it has been on the clothing I've bought. 

It do start to annoy me, and I have stopped buying dForce clothes because of that. Because I simply don't dare to anymore. None of the dforce clothing has movement morphs or such written out either, and while I'm aware most of the non dforce clothes didn't had that either, they still had those morphs to some degree (some more, some less and a few not at all) but for those clothing I could be more or less sure it would be there, and the few times it wasn't I did return the product.

I'm the first to admit that there is clothes I would love to buy, because they look amazing and I could easily see me using them. But without morphs to make it possible for me to use them despite not using dforce, I simply dare not take the chance.

One of the items I bought, that was dforce, was a long coat. There was nothing in there to morph it to follow the character when he was in a walking pose. Another was a suit which really look great, but I could not even find a morph to move the jacket at all.

If I could, I would lvve to use dforce, but I simply can't and I also can not afford to buy a new computer to be able to. It saddens me, and I might come off as annoyed at tiems because of that, but I do assume that it is a lot of extra job to put movement morphs into the clothing and that it would take too much time as well as add to the price as well (i have no idea how much extra job or such, I just assume there is)

I admit I haven't bought any dforce after those two, I've been tempted but simply not dared to. Was those two products unusual in not having any movement morphs? I don't remember if the dforce outfit that came with the start package from Daz had any movement morphs or any morphs to help with such, and I'm not able to look right now. I would be happy to be wrong in this regard, I promise :)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,152
    Carola O said:

I'm sorry to say.. that not a single Dforce item I have bought, has had ANY movement morphs at all... which means that I can't really use it. It conforms yes, that isn't a problem. The problem is that if I pose my character and want to move the skirt, or the coat, or opening the jacket a little to indicate movement or wind.. I can Not do that, since there is NO morphs for that. There is adjustment morphs, but that's as far as it has been on the clothing I've bought. 

It do start to annoy me, and I have stopped buying dForce clothes because of that. Because I simply don't dare to anymore. None of the dforce clothing has movement morphs or such written out either, and while I'm aware most of the non dforce clothes didn't had that either, they still had those morphs to some degree (some more, some less and a few not at all) but for those clothing I could be more or less sure it would be there, and the few times it wasn't I did return the product.

I'm the first to admit that there is clothes I would love to buy, because they look amazing and I could easily see me using them. But without morphs to make it possible for me to use them despite not using dforce, I simply dare not take the chance.

One of the items I bought, that was dforce, was a long coat. There was nothing in there to morph it to follow the character when he was in a walking pose. Another was a suit which really look great, but I could not even find a morph to move the jacket at all.

If I could, I would lvve to use dforce, but I simply can't and I also can not afford to buy a new computer to be able to. It saddens me, and I might come off as annoyed at tiems because of that, but I do assume that it is a lot of extra job to put movement morphs into the clothing and that it would take too much time as well as add to the price as well (i have no idea how much extra job or such, I just assume there is)

I admit I haven't bought any dforce after those two, I've been tempted but simply not dared to. Was those two products unusual in not having any movement morphs? I don't remember if the dforce outfit that came with the start package from Daz had any movement morphs or any morphs to help with such, and I'm not able to look right now. I would be happy to be wrong in this regard, I promise :)

I tried to see if I could pose the outfit to fit the Monique 8 pose I used, without dForce. There are no movement morphs that I see for sitting, walking, etc. There are morphs to poof the skirt and bustle out, but those didn't help with the Monique 8 pose I used, because her hands are close to her thighs and hip. The skirt and bustle have thigh bones that you can bend and twist to help with skirt movement. There are no shin bones to help with the bottom of the skirt. I wasn't able to get a satisfactory fit to the Monique 8 pose I used, by adjusting those bones. With a less challenging pose, the Skirt Poof, Skirt Windy, and the thigh bones might work for you. You can always buy it and if it doesn't work for you, you can return it within 30 days. I think it is worth a try. It is a nice product.

There are some oddities to be aware of. The morphs are listed in Parameters pane under "Morphs", instead of under "Actor", Unless Daz has suddenly changed conventions, I think that is an error. I almost didn't notice them, because I am trained to look for garment morphs in "Actor". The skirt morph to make the waist larger is spelled "Expqnd Waist"; I assume that is just a typo and was intended to be "Expand Waist".

@Barbult I wouldn't call the pose where she is standing, with a hand on her hip/bum, a challenging pose. That for me seems to be a rather normal pose. The one where she is sitting I wouldcall challenging when it comes to pose clothing to work. The fact that you couldn't get the standing pose to work (I assumed it was that you meant) actually makes me just sad.

I might buy it, just for the blouse, but we will see. Thanks for testing it for me Barbult *hugs warmly*

Carola O said:

@Barbult I wouldn't call the pose where she is standing, with a hand on her hip/bum, a challenging pose. That for me seems to be a rather normal pose. The one where she is sitting I wouldcall challenging when it comes to pose clothing to work. The fact that you couldn't get the standing pose to work (I assumed it was that you meant) actually makes me just sad.

I might buy it, just for the blouse, but we will see. Thanks for testing it for me Barbult *hugs warmly*

Yes, the standing pose is what I tried. I considered it challenging, because of the hand on the hip and the bent legs. I didn't think I even dared to try that sitting pose. Getting even the best conforming skirts to sit like that on a flat surface would be impossible for me. That is why I love dForce.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Did any of you folks notice The Courthouse has a unique set up? Instead of having the prosecution and defense tables across from each other, one is behind the other. How are the people supposed to look across and glare at each other?   On the other hand, it's nice to see vendors trying new approaches.

I did a search for courtrooms and here's the images from Google.  (Btw, if you want to shorten url lengths, use tinyurl.com  It's free and safe to use.) 

edited May 2018
    Carola O said:

Well, I tried the blouse on Monique 8 with her arm up in the air. There is a sharp poking out piece under her arm. This is without simulating. This is just a screenshot. It happens even if smoothing is turned off. It happens at both base and high resolution. I don't know what is causing it. [Edit: It appears to me to be a weight map issue,]

This is after dForce simulation on the timeline. It looks fine.

Vernea Fae blouse arm up.JPG
    1489 x 1936 - 259K
    Vernea Fae blouse arm up simulation.JPG
    1490 x 1935 - 254K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    Novica said:

Did any of you folks notice The Courthouse has a unique set up? Instead of having the prosecution and defense tables across from each other, one is behind the other. How are the people supposed to look across and glare at each other?   On the other hand, it's nice to see vendors trying new approaches.

I did a search for courtrooms and here's the images from Google.  (Btw, if you want to shorten url lengths, use tinyurl.com  It's free and safe to use.) 

Hadn't looked at it 

I've never seen a courtroom set up like that myself

@barbult Thanks, with that I'm afraid I won't buy that outfit :/ its sad cause it's a real nice one imo.. oh well. Perhaps after I somehow manage to get enough money to buy a new computer... it's times like these I wish I was able to rob a bank or five lol (and only joking ofc)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I think the jury is too exposed sitting by the window and it would be hot and uncomfortable there....

Carola O said:

@barbult Thanks, with that I'm afraid I won't buy that outfit :/ its sad cause it's a real nice one imo.. oh well. Perhaps after I somehow manage to get enough money to buy a new computer... it's times like these I wish I was able to rob a bank or five lol (and only joking ofc)

It wasn't my intent to discourage you. Slosh is a top-notch PA. I'm pretty confident any bugs will be addressed. I've submitted these observations as a help request. 

I know you didn't meant to discourage me and I agree, Slosh is a really good PA :), It just feels better to not go for it right now, merely wait and see what the coming days brings and such. I've been doing a fair bit of product returns and tickets lately, so want to give them a little break from me ;P

Carola O said:

I know you didn't meant to discourage me and I agree, Slosh is a really good PA :), It just feels better to not go for it right now, merely wait and see what the coming days brings and such. I've been doing a fair bit of product returns and tickets lately, so want to give them a little break from me ;P

If the product is updated, I'll mention it here.

edited May 2018

Morena Hair (Gen3F/ Gen8F)       Morena Hair Colors        GDN Sarah (Gen8F)      Eolande Outfit (Gen8F) 

This render took 2 1/2  hours. Observations-
    1. Godin does a GREAT job with the lip color icons. What you see is what you get. 
    2. Eolande has very nice details.

Click to enlarge, click again. 1300 px

I love how this looks like she is popping out of the side of the forum post!
    ("Sssssshhhh!  I bunnynapped Rabbicus. He's sooooo cute! Don't tell RGcincy!") 

TIP: For dark hair, to get a more subtle highlight (other than the bleached out look.)
    Select the brown hair color, then use the mix called Gold and Brown. 
    In Surfaces, you have three strand groups. (Great job by the vendor!) Change the colors as follows:
    Strand 1       83 / 65 / 56
    Strand 2      82 / 53 / 51
    Strand 3     82 / 61 / 58

And you get this hair. I also increased the shine (the option is included.)  The original hair has very few colors, and you can take the light color and change it in Surfaces, but the additional Hair Colors gives you a lot more options.

Need a favor- If someone has just the hair and not the second product (Colors) will you check in Surfaces and see if the strands are separated into three groups or if it's just one big zone? I know the second product (Colors) does it, but not sure how to tell if the hair alone will do that for you. 

sarahMorenaHrEolandeOutfit.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

Morena Hair (Gen3F/ Gen8F)       Morena Hair Colors        GDN Sarah (Gen8F)      Eolande Outfit (Gen8F) 

1. Godin does a GREAT job with the lip color icons. What you see is what you get. 

Click to enlarge, click again. 1300 px  I love how this looks like she is popping out of the side of the forum post!

TIP: For dark hair, to get a more subtle highlight (other than the bleached out look.)
    In Surfaces, you have three strand groups. (Great job by the vendor!) Change the colors as follows:

And you get this hair. I also increased the shine (the option is included.)  The original hair has very few colors, and you can take the light color and change it in Surfaces, but the additional Hair Colors gives you a lot more options.

Need a favor- If someone has just the hair and not the second product (Colors) will you check in Surfaces and see if the strands are separated into three groups or if it's just one big zone? I know the second product (Colors) does it, but not sure how to tell if the hair alone will do that for you. 

This is gorgeous!.  Crisp, clean but realistic. 

edited May 2018

@icedragonart   Thanks!  It's the trio light products combination. Pro-Studio, BOSS, and Ghost. Over 15 lights used for that render. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    Novica said:

Click to enlarge, click again. 1300 px

I love how this looks like she is popping out of the side of the forum post!
    ("Sssssshhhh!  I bunnynapped Rabbicus. He's sooooo cute! Don't tell RGcincy!") 

Could you, or someone who has this hair and his hair shaders see if they work well with the hair?

I'll test it, no problem. I'll set up another character with the hair, I didn't save the scene but I was going to do another gal anyway.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

@icedragonart   Thanks!  It's the trio light products combination. Pro-Studio, BOSS, and Ghost. Over 15 lights used for that render. 

Was worth it!

New coupon in the rotating banner and it works on gift cards. Unfortunately the site also charged me twice... first time it ever happened... be careful when using it I guess.

edited May 2018

@serenenight  Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked the store this afternoon again.

@escrandall  I've rendered one with the colors product (Morena Hair Colors), and at the moment rendering one with the Hair Lustre Shaders for Iray so you can compare. I put the Lustre Shaders on high shine but thought it was too much so am starting over.  The first one I did at 87% and that was 25 minutes.

Nicole for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s) 

Edit- The second one only got to about 78% as it was interfering with my shopping by slowing down my computer. I  missed the first flash sale as I was reporting on the sale thread about stores that weren't working. Last time I'll do THAT. I'll just shop the ones that are working. And I'm off to go shopping now. But hopefully this gives you an idea, just keep in mind more detail would continue to come in.

Anyway, the first one is from the Morena Hair Colors, the second is from the Lustre Shaders. I put it on medium shine.

Nicole Morena Hair.png
    615 x 800 - 658K
    Nicole Morena Hair 2.png
    615 x 800 - 705K
    Post edited by Novica on

Some of EJ's morph products look interesting, I have them wishlisted because I am always on the lookout for things that give good love handles, pot bellies, flabby arms, etc. 

EJ Body Shape and Detail Morphs (Gen8F) and also the one for the males has some good morphs as does the Alien Creator Morphs  If you haven't bought hair products from EJ, you should give them a try. Always jam packed with morphs.

The body shape morph pack for the g8m contains a morph for Adams Apple if I remember correct

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    Novica said:

@serenenight  Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked the store this afternoon again.

@escrandall  I've rendered one with the colors product (Morena Hair Colors), and at the moment rendering one with the Hair Lustre Shaders for Iray so you can compare. I put the Lustre Shaders on high shine but thought it was too much so am starting over.  The first one I did at 87% and that was 25 minutes.

Nicole for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s) 

Edit- The second one only got to about 78% as it was interfering with my shopping by slowing down my computer. I  missed the first flash sale as I was reporting on the sale thread about stores that weren't working. Last time I'll do THAT. I'll just shop the ones that are working. And I'm off to go shopping now. But hopefully this gives you an idea, just keep in mind more detail would continue to come in.

Anyway, the first one is from the Morena Hair Colors, the second is from the Lustre Shaders. I put it on medium shine.

Thank you so much1  You and the others have saved me quite a bit over the past year or so!

Wow, gigs of shaders just have been updated. I wonder what changed?

edited May 2018

Wow, gigs of shaders just have been updated. I wonder what changed?

In one of the PC+ threads, Jen said she was making some changes to her shader products. 

Post edited by barbult on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    edited May 2018

FREEBIE Showcase

Dottie and her Freebies smiley

"Post Your Favorite Freebies Week
    So something we haven't done before, and I think it would be nice to give recognition to- which is the artists who so generously donate freebies. Now's your chance to give a shoutout to yourself and to your favorite freebie artists.   What are your favorite freebies? When was the last time you went looking for good ones? It's also "Hunt for Freebies" this week on this thread. (In addition to still posting purchased products.) 
    Please list the name of the freebie in the title, with (FREEBIE) so we'll know right away that it is a freebie."

I've only recently started to look at the freebies and only have very limited experience of the many wonderful and varied items so kindly offered. Until now I've only done two renders using them. The first I did was of the base G8F totally dressed in freebies which I used bought shaders on, then with @Saphirewild's encouragement I entered the freebie challenge this month. I've used one of @Wilmap's lovely clothing items (on my first test render) and I loved it. When I get the chance I'm going to check out some other sets ... at the moment I'm listing the ones that have caught my eye.

So, my way of approaching this is to take somesomething I've seen when looking at freebies and thought 'that looks good' and then do a test render for Novica's freebies showcase. There really are some lovely items available and I'm sure those who made them would love to see what we do with them.

Now to get to the point smiley

I've used Dottie for Edie 8 as my base figure. I love her but haven't used her much and this is a great way of having fun with her. I used Toulouse hair from the Genesis 8 essentials pack. This hair has lots of morphs and hair colours and I think it tends to be overlooked when actually it's rather good. I've lenthened the hair at the back and also the fringe (bangs).

1. Head and shoulders.

2. Full length figure.

Milkshake by @Allenart, who posts her freebie links in the freebie forum. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/155226/mmmmm-milkshakes

I love this prop! It comes in three different options. @Allenart has a lovely range of freebies over at sharecg and the link to her gallery is in her signature. I used the teapot and her satin shaders in my freebie competition submission this month and I can highly recommend them.

Winter Dress for Genesis 8 Female by RenderGuyNY

The link is in his freebie thread on this page:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/88801/renderguyny-s-freebies-latest-freebie-updated-5-10-18/p4

and it can be found on sharecg at https://www.sharecg.com/v/90180/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Winter-Dress-for-G8F. @RenderGuyNY has lots of freebies on his thread, including some figures. This dress comes with a range of textures and the cardigan is in a lace or full knit version. I've rendered these using the choices offered. As you can see they are lovely and really suit Dottie.

The shoes are:

Pumps 01 for Genesis 8 female (https://amyaimei.deviantart.com/art/Pumps-01-for-Genesis-8-Female-705955762 ). There are no shaders with these so I simply put car paint shaders on the whole shoe (I was in a rush) but there are several material zones, so they are very versitile. Amyaimei has quite a few items on offer at Deviantart and I've been wanting to try something for quite a while.

18 05 22 Dottie head and shoulders with a milkshake.jpg
    750 x 900 - 510K
    18 05 22 DOTTIE IN FREEBIES FULL LENGTH.jpg
    400 x 800 - 227K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on

Good morning!
    A quick OT- This is a really good site online for keeping up to date with the Hawaii volcano news.  Another is KITV.com which is channel 4.  That lava is flowing SO fast! 

@mollytabby  Dottie and her clothes look amazing, and I've seen that ice cream sundae before and it's as good as any purchased product that I've seen. Wonderful details! 

And Floyd makes his appearance! 

edited May 2018

Contemporary Living Room has a wonderful feature I definitely want to point out. Those ceiling lights ROTATE. You don't just get recessed lights stuck in the ceiling! So be sure and consider this one by @tobascojack as it's got wonderful details and functional considerations (doors/windows open and close, etc.)  Congrats TJ!  yesyesyes  A new PA!

Post edited by Novica on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Thanks, Novica!

The lights are gimbaled, so they rotate and tilt.   I'll also point out the ceiling lights are independent of the ceiling mesh - so you can move them around in the X and Z planes (or duplicate them) to get them positioned as you like.

I'll also call out a tip I used in one of the artistic promos, leveraging the concept of the ghost lights around the table lamps.    One of the challenges I had was that if I cranked up the luminosity on the point light, it would blow out the texture details on the lampshade.  To avoid that, I created a sphere primitive around the point light that is large enough to encompass the lamp shade.  Set it to emissive, and turn the opacity to .00000001.  Adjust its value to provide more light to the room.  Voila, more light without destroying the details from the lampshade.

This discussion has been closed.