Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@tabascojack   I'm going to "sticky" that post by putting it in my References at the beginning of this thread. I think I'll put it under Lighting: Lampshade Tip. That's so considerate to put the ceiling lights as independent items. KUDOS!!!!  

Are you considering doing other rooms that will go with this one? 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I highly recommend TJ's set as well.  So many things come with it, and if you look at the promos you can see that there is a whole deck outside of that room. As well as the fact that none of the doors and windows lead to an empty space. And the modelling is impeccable.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I highly recommend TJ's set as well.  So many things come with it, and if you look at the promos you can see that there is a whole deck outside of that room. As well as the fact that none of the doors and windows lead to an empty space. And the modelling is impeccable.

Thanks for pointing that out! I'm definitely going for that set. So fantastic! I'm so tired of sets that are either all inside or all outside, and never the twain shall meet. I mean, some of us actually do transition from the inside to outdoors. ;)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Wow, gigs of shaders just have been updated. I wonder what changed?

I don't know but it took overnight to download them all. I know that seams and moire patterns are not the same thing but I hope the moire patterns have been gotten rid of, as much as possible.

@nonesuch00   Okay, I'll bite. *chomp*  What are moire patterns? 

Yeah, I saw all those shader updates. Someone's been very busy! 

Oh another OT. That tropical system that will (of course) be forming in the Gulf Of Mexico area now has a SIXTY percent chance of forming. This hurricane season is supposed to be active, and so far I'm not liking the pattern. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

My hard drive is down to 60 gigs. I will have to go in and make sure I remove the dim installers after I back it up

My son and daughter in law just flew back from Hawaii yesterday (honeymoon, although they got married last year lol).  Fortunately, they were not on the big island and didn't have any issues thankfully. They did end up giving them a direct flight to and from Oahu instead of landing on the big island and taking a different plane to Oahu.

If anyone is getting the Floyd pro bundle can you do a render of the Troll without Floyd?

edited May 2018

Just an observation that many of us are making about marketing. (A lot of email, etc chatter.) They knew they would be releasing Floyd today. So the day before, they do an unusual flash-sale type thing, with apparently five different options, rotating through fairly quickly. So buyers will do what? Spend money. There were great deals.

Which leaves many people short on cash today. (I've already heard the rumblings.) THEN Daz says men items don't sell. 

And skewing the sales environment is a big part of that. If you offer five different discounts the night before you release a male product, well DUH. Some people now can't buy him because they spent a lot the night before. They haven't ever done that the night before a major female release, that I can remember. And as L'Adair mentioned in another post, the deal on him isn't as good as a female (Mika) release either, also influencing sales detrimentally for a male product.

As I've said many times, if you're going to keep throwing the "men don't sell as well" in our faces, then stop doing blatant things to dampen the sales in a negative manner. Give us not only the same quality of products (enough already of the tube shorts, plastered pants, stiff collars) and give them the same sales discounts and marketing strategies. Five sales the night before isn't close to being comparable to when the female products were released. It impacted a lot of people who didn't know Floyd was coming. (Since most people are NOT on the forums, according to Daz's official stance.) 

Post edited by Novica on

I also have to say that its a shame they decided to release Luthbell's wizard so close to this bundle, because the wizard outfits in the Floyd bundle actually look really good and might have been a bit more of an incentive to think about buying if I hadn't just spent over $50 on Luthbel's stuff last weekend

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I did bought Floyd's pro bundle, part of that was because of the wizard robe. I Love the look of Luthbels wizard robes, and I plan to pick that one up when I get the chance. Had to do some re arrangments and such. But what I love with the wizard one in the bundle, is that it actually has a LOT of morphs, twist, bend, etc etc and is Also dforce. I haven't been able to try it yet, but I look forward to do so (haven't even downloaded yet)

Ice, do show us some renders of Luthbels robe? *grins* I so love your renders :)

edited May 2018

There are many reasons men’s stuff doesn’t sell. Timing is one of them. Marketing is another... They just released two older males...Edward and Ollie....and as one observer told me, he really is a mix between the two.  Daz also still hasn’t managed to tap into sexy with its guy bundles. No skimpwear, not pinup stuff, nada. All stuff they’ve done for female characters.There is an untapped market for male sexy..which the store doesn’t sel much of...For guy content there is a preponderance of monsters and characters and fantasy wear... also pas release the same type of standing poses and muscle flexing poses...and similar characters which lead to people not buying... 

I bought Floyd but some of the content I will never use. One of his characters is a troll. I would’ve preferred a senior. I am not into fantasy and his fantasy wardrobe are two of his outfits......   the clothing and remaining items are rather stereotypical. Seniors can have a full head of hair and do sometimes dress smartly.... it isn’t all walkers, track suits and bow ties with suspenders....

my father owned a beautiful wardrobe of expensive Italian clothing and business suits...seniors can wear less stereotyped clothing. there are three expression sets, two similar Walker sets, a Japanese Gardner set, etc.    

I have the worst time with men’s shirts and shirt collars which look awful a lot of the time. I told one friend i would be surprised and would eat my hat if Floyd did not have at least one suspender and bow tie outfit....and I was not wrong since the pc club released one.

So I guess for me.,. I find Floyd kind of stereotypical. If I was going to release a set with cliche senior stuff included... I would come up with Floyd. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
    Carola O said:

I did bought Floyd's pro bundle, part of that was because of the wizard robe. I Love the look of Luthbels wizard robes, and I plan to pick that one up when I get the chance. Had to do some re arrangments and such. But what I love with the wizard one in the bundle, is that it actually has a LOT of morphs, twist, bend, etc etc and is Also dforce. I haven't been able to try it yet, but I look forward to do so (haven't even downloaded yet)

Ice, do show us some renders of Luthbels robe? *grins* I so love your renders :)

Awe thank you!  I have some thoughts, but not much time right now.  My niece is graduating from highschool tonight (last one of my sister and I's kids to be officially a grown up lol) and my MIL just broke her arm last week (dominant hand of course) so I have been running around like the proverbial chicken.

edited May 2018
    Carola O said:

Awe thank you!  I have some thoughts, but not much time right now.  My niece is graduating from highschool tonight (last one of my sister and I's kids to be officially a grown up lol) and my MIL just broke her arm last week (dominant hand of course) so I have been running around like the proverbial chicken.

Oh ouch, that sound painful. Hope she get better soon. And that you can take a moment to not run around and just have some time for yourself to breath :) Also congratulations to your niece, poor girl has joined the club of adults *snickers*

Post edited by Carola O on

DIM is extremely slow, I can't even GET to the troll much less render it. The rate is in the low KBs for transferring. I think a lot of people bought things last night and are trying to download today, in addition to Floyd downloads. It's crawling so I'm just getting off the computer and running errands. 

I've got a favor to ask everyone. We need to help @wonderland because she has struggled for TWO WEEKS with Daz Studio not opening, and tech support is not working out. So I've asked her to post exactly what is going on and to see if you can help brainstorm a solution. Let's get this poor gal back into her studio! (She even bought a new computer to use for Daz.)  Alicia, if you'll
    1. give specifics as to what you did
    2. what the error is- does anything start up, do you get a popup/error message, etc. 
    3. what tech support said, and what you've already tried so we don't throw ideas your way that haven't worked already.

Thanks in advance for helping her. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    Novica said:

I've got a favor to ask everyone. We need to help @wonderland because she has struggled for TWO WEEKS with Daz Studio not opening, and tech support is not working out. So I've asked her to post exactly what is going on and to see if you can help brainstorm a solution. Let's get this poor gal back into her studio! (She even bought a new computer to use for Daz.)  Alicia, if you'll
    2. what the error is- does anything start up, do you get a popup/error message, etc. 
    3. what tech support said, and what you've already tried so we don't throw ideas your way that haven't worked already.

Thanks Novica!

This is what I posted in the Commons that linked to my post in the Tech Forum with attached bug files: 

It's been two weeks now and I still can't open DS on my new Windows 10 computer with a 1080 ti. Tech support has not been helpful and I PMed Richard Hazeltine but not gotten a response. I'm at my wit's end! The bug report and fatal error warning are here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254041/still-can-t-open-ds#latest

The monitor is hooked directly into the back to the 1080 ti card as recommended by the manufacturer. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed and the VR Oculus works perfectly. Are there other drivers that need to be installed? I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS several times. When I launch DS, it gets to the point of building interface, then crashes with the fatal error warning as seen in post pasted above. (In link posted above) 

I'm sorry, but I'm really getting fed up with tech support! Jamie from sales is responding and I'm not sure she's a tech person as well. I got this computer just for Daz but I can't even use it for that, although it works great for VR. Can anyone who uses Windows 10 please help! Thanks!!!

Tech support-- Jamie from sales now doing tech support-- said to remove some files and uninstall, reinstall. Done. No help. I told her I updated the NVIDIA drivers to the newest drivers, did not help. She responded to roll back the the drivers, which is ridiculous because they were initially on the older drivers which didn't work before I updated them. 

Someone said to uncheck Intel drivers under displays. I don't even see Intel drivers under Displays. I only have NVIDIA drivers and they are under "Display Adapters" not "Displays", there is nothing called just "Displays.". Are there other drivers I need from somewhere??? I appreciate any help! Thanks! 

Novica said:

DIM is extremely slow, I can't even GET to the troll much less render it. The rate is in the low KBs for transferring. I think a lot of people bought things last night and are trying to download today, in addition to Floyd downloads. It's crawling so I'm just getting off the computer and running errands. 

There is a huge update for shaders, which may be what's really slowing things down at the moment.

Carola O said:
    Carola O said:

Oh ouch, that sound painful. Hope she get better soon. And that you can take a moment to not run around and just have some time for yourself to breath :) Also congratulations to your niece, poor girl has joined the club of adults *snickers*

Ya, my two and her older brother all wish they were NOT grown ups lol.

And I'm not sure what I can contribute but will be happy to try and help Wonderland.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Novica said:

Thanks Novica!

This is what I posted in the Commons that linked to my post in the Tech Forum with attached bug files: 

It's been two weeks now and I still can't open DS on my new Windows 10 computer with a 1080 ti. Tech support has not been helpful and I PMed Richard Hazeltine but not gotten a response. I'm at my wit's end! The bug report and fatal error warning are here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/254041/still-can-t-open-ds#latest

The monitor is hooked directly into the back to the 1080 ti card as recommended by the manufacturer. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed and the VR Oculus works perfectly. Are there other drivers that need to be installed? I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS several times. When I launch DS, it gets to the point of building interface, then crashes with the fatal error warning as seen in post pasted above. (In link posted above) 

I'm sorry, but I'm really getting fed up with tech support! Jamie from sales is responding and I'm not sure she's a tech person as well. I got this computer just for Daz but I can't even use it for that, although it works great for VR. Can anyone who uses Windows 10 please help! Thanks!!!

Tech support-- Jamie from sales now doing tech support-- said to remove some files and uninstall, reinstall. Done. No help. I told her I updated the NVIDIA drivers to the newest drivers, did not help. She responded to roll back the the drivers, which is ridiculous because they were initially on the older drivers which didn't work before I updated them. 

Someone said to uncheck Intel drivers under displays. I don't even see Intel drivers under Displays. I only have NVIDIA drivers and they are under "Display Adapters" not "Displays", there is nothing called just "Displays.". Are there other drivers I need from somewhere??? I appreciate any help! Thanks! 

I'm seeing some reference to Access Violation errors in Windows for other memory intensive programs (games etc) when I google it.  The possible culprits include overly aggressive antivirus programs like Kaspersky, malfunctioning RAM, and some issue where Windows apparently decides it doesn't want to allocate memory to particular programs. This page includes advice on how to "Add a program to the Data Execution Prevention exceptions list" and I think that and possibly disabling antivirus are probably the things I would try next if I were having this issue

@IceDragonArt  Here's the Troll without Floyd dialled in. Not the best pics but hopefully it will help, it's rather big me thinks *sheepish smile*

@Wonderland I'm afraid I have no idea how to help, but I do hope you manage to find a solution

Troll, no Floyd

I would try removing it and cleaning up and defragging the drive maybe with something like cc cleaner. Sometime there is bad data cached. I’d then install it on a drive other than c presuming you have one.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:
    And skewing the sales environment is a big part of that. If you offer five different discounts the night before you release a male product, well DUH. Some people now can't buy him because they spent a lot the night before. They haven't ever done that the night before a major female release, that I can remember. And as L'Adair mentioned in another post, the deal on him isn't as good as a female (Mika) release either, also influencing sales detrimentally for a male product.

I posted in that thread again pointing out the bribe, er, free product offer, for any of the new figures does not have the same value to all customers/ The longer you've been buying from Daz and/or the more money you've spent here, the less likely the free products will contain things you want, but do not yet have. I also included the following screenshots of a cart with Mika 8 and a comparable cart with Floyd 8. These discounts include the 30% for being a PC member and 20% for owning several named 8 pro bundles. There's nothing like a visual to drive home the disparity of offers between the male product and the most recent female product.

Floyd 8 offers maximized, cart screenshot

Mika 8 offers maximized, cart screenshot

Anyone else remember the original title of the "It's Not Raining Men" thread in the Commons? I won't say this is exact, but it was something like "Sex Discrimination in the Daz store." Because of that thread, we ended up with the It's Raining Men render contests, and a lot more male products in the store. But now it appears Daz is back to discriminating against the male products by making their new releases more expensive than their female counterparts. For shame.

@Carolo O thank you!  Darn it - I was afraid he was going to look just as good without him lol.  Might look really good with one of gypsy angels boys dialed in or Darwins.  I'm going to have to to see about breaking my i'm not spending any money this week decision lol.

L'Adair you are absolutely right, definitely a difference.  And one of the reason male stuff doesn't sell as well I would say.

edited May 2018

@Carolo O thank you!  Darn it - I was afraid he was going to look just as good without him lol.  Might look really good with one of gypsy angels boys dialed in or Darwins.  I'm going to have to to see about breaking my i'm not spending any money this week decision lol.

If you have Ollie, dialing in a bit of his head might get you close to the intended look of the face. (Maybe a bit of Edward, as well. Wink. Wink.)

L'Adair you are absolutely right, definitely a difference.  And one of the reason male stuff doesn't sell as well I would say.

And of course, there is no way for Daz to know how many customers are passing on Floyd because of the discount disparity rather than not liking the product, or male products in general. They do like to remind us people posting in the forums are a small percentage of their customer base. I wish there was some way of getting most/all of the not-buying-Floyd customers to fill out a survey on why! LOL

Post edited by L'Adair on
    Odaa said:
    Novica said:

Thanks Novica!

I'm seeing some reference to Access Violation errors in Windows for other memory intensive programs (games etc) when I google it.  The possible culprits include overly aggressive antivirus programs like Kaspersky, malfunctioning RAM, and some issue where Windows apparently decides it doesn't want to allocate memory to particular programs. This page includes advice on how to "Add a program to the Data Execution Prevention exceptions list" and I think that and possibly disabling antivirus are probably the things I would try next if I were having this issue

I tried that but wasn't sure what file to add...

I would try removing it and cleaning up and defragging the drive maybe with something like cc cleaner. Sometime there is bad data cached. I’d then install it on a drive other than c presuming you have one.

This is a brand new computer. I don't even know how to defrag-- I'm a Mac person...

I tried installing to the d drive (still on main computer) with same issue...

If you have numerous previous installs something on the drive could be lingering in its memory. I’d try cc cleaner or clearing out your machine cache. 

Also are you using dim to install it or running the install manually?

edited May 2018
    Novica said:
    Sex Discrimination in the Daz store." Because of that thread, we ended up with the It's Raining Men render contests, and a lot more male products in the store. But now it appears Daz is back to discriminating against the male products by making their new releases more expensive than their female counterparts. For shame.

I do find it frustrating that there are numerous female figure pro bundles mostly of the young attractive variety and no male counterparts. I honestly need more hunks.... 

Post edited by Serene Night on
    Novica said:
    Sex Discrimination in the Daz store." Because of that thread, we ended up with the It's Raining Men render contests, and a lot more male products in the store. But now it appears Daz is back to discriminating against the male products by making their new releases more expensive than their female counterparts. For shame.

I do find it frustrating that there are numerous female figure pro bundles mostly of the young attractive variety and no male counterparts. I honestly need more hunks.... 

Agreed! But when it comes to the hunks, I don't think Daz named figures can hold a candle to Darwin's boys. (Personal opinion, of course.) And his boys are far more affordable than the official Daz figures, too.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Wonderland,  one thing you could try is to follow this link (https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download) and download the Free version of CCleaner.  After it is installed, open the program, there are 4 "tabs" down the leftside.  The default is cleaner, in the bottom right corner - click and let it run.  Then select the 2nd, registry.  Blue button at the bottom - "Scan for Issues."  It will likely fine issues. Select them all, and then click the button on the bottom right - "Fixed Selected Issues."  It will ask you if you wish to back up your registry.  I never do and have never any resulting problems.  When it is done, do it again.  When I am helping friends with troublesome computers, sometimes scanning registry takes two or three times before the scan will come up clean.  After you have done that, restart the computer and try Daz.   

That's what I would do first.  If it didn't resolve the issue.  I would uninstall Daz3d and related content; then do the directions above, again.  After the cleaning and registry are taken care of, I woiuld do a "fresh" install of Daz3d.

If you happen to be in the Houston area, send me a message - we can try to meet up and figure it out.

gitika1 said:

Wonderland,  one thing you could try is to follow this link (https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download) and download the Free version of CCleaner.  After it is installed, open the program, there are 4 "tabs" down the leftside.  The default is cleaner, in the bottom right corner - click and let it run.  Then select the 2nd, registry.  Blue button at the bottom - "Scan for Issues."  It will likely fine issues. Select them all, and then click the button on the bottom right - "Fixed Selected Issues."  It will ask you if you wish to back up your registry.  I never do and have never any resulting problems.  When it is done, do it again.  When I am helping friends with troublesome computers, sometimes scanning registry takes two or three times before the scan will come up clean.  After you have done that, restart the computer and try Daz.   

That's what I would do first.  If it didn't resolve the issue.  I would uninstall Daz3d and related content; then do the directions above, again.  After the cleaning and registry are taken care of, I woiuld do a "fresh" install of Daz3d.

If you happen to be in the Houston area, send me a message - we can try to meet up and figure it out.

Thanks, I'll try but this is a brand new computer.... I don’t see any drivers installed except the NVIDIA one. Are there supposed to be more? Like the open GL thing for d-force? Intel has a bunch of drivers on its page for Windows 10. Should I try to install any? So confused! 

This discussion has been closed.