Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

another mixed piece, my system is just being to slow to do whole scenes. 

I really like this render. It brings back memories of early morning rides. 

Trish

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited March 2018

Thanks  @Worlds_Edge and @Stormylyght, those sound like fantastic rides! 

Apologies to those waiting for a video. One of my authors contacted me with his ideas for book 4 and said the ebook would be out April 4th!! What a fun challenge it was! He wanted a fire elemental, I was really wondering how I was going to go about it and have it match the same style as the other books. Then daveyabbo's new Alien Queen came out and I knew she would be the perfect base. Anyway here's my latest cover, I had so much fun doing it!

Fate4Web.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 164K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Looks great!  Nothing like a deadline to make you inspired lol.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Nice job on Alien Queen!

• Beautiful cover, love it!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

Great work, love the elemental and the mixed-mediums are really well done. 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Came by to grab a link to your canvasses tutorial and to let you know I miss your renders. 

edited May 2018

Came by to grab a link to your canvasses tutorial and to let you know I miss your renders. 

awww, Thank you. I'm still rendering stuff but have been so busy with real life that I don't always have a lot of time to spend in the forums, although I'm still lurking. lol 

When my daughter was 6 weeks pregnant her boyfriend passed away from a drug overdose. My daughter doesn't want to move back home but she also doesn't want to be alone so I spend a lot of time at her house...with no internet, just my cell phone data. :)  Baby is now due in 3 weeks! Guess who the primary babysitter is once she goes back to work? Yea, I'm going to be busy for a while. :D 

Here is what I am currently working on:

This character is for a book I am currently doing the cover for. When I use him I have to remember to set the whole scene up as a mirror to how I actually want it. His bad eye and scars around that eye need to be on his left side, but the skin and hd scars I am using only come on the right. I know I could flip the skin in photoshop, but I'm guessing there is no way to flip the morph, so I just flip in post. :)

This one is now also for a book cover but started as an experament at putting a real human face on a 3D body, because 3D costumes are way cheeper then the real deal. :D (it also didn't start with her in glasses, but the autor asked if I could add them, and beings the model always wears them I told him we could do it. Also the model, my daughter, really, really wanted to be on a bookcover. lol 

Lance.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 104K
    TheChosen2.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 76K

Glad to see you even if it is only breifly lol!

Congrats on the coming grandbaby.  I'm so sorry to hear about her dad

You did a great job adding your daughters face to that, it works very well!

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

You have done a lot of beautiful renders.  They are a joy to look at.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

So sorry to hear of your daughter's loss, but also excited for you for the grandchild.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Your daughter deserves to be on a bookcover, she's quite lovely!  Beautiful renders. So sorry for her loss, glad she has you for support.

Glad to see you even if it is only breifly lol!

Congrats on the coming grandbaby.  I'm so sorry to hear about her dad

You did a great job adding your daughters face to that, it works very well!

Thank's Sonja

themidget said:

You have done a lot of beautiful renders.  They are a joy to look at.

Thank you

So sorry to hear of your daughter's loss, but also excited for you for the grandchild.

Thanks Jack, I'm getting more excited. It's going to be a boy so that will be very different after raising all girls! My husband is very excited to finally be getting a little guy to hang out with though. 

Novica said:

Your daughter deserves to be on a bookcover, she's quite lovely!  Beautiful renders. So sorry for her loss, glad she has you for support.

Thanks @Novica my daughter on the book cover is my youngest, my oldest daughter is the one having the baby, she won't let me put her on book covers or in my art anymore, she says it's weird. :(  Loves letting me take her photos though as long as she can dictate what's done. 

edited May 2018

I almost forgot, finished the artwork for the book cover with the guy on it. 

LanceCoverArt.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 113K
    edited May 2018

Not 3D, my oldest and I went out and took a few maternity photos today, here's my favorite. 

IMG_6139E2.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 213K
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666

Not 3D, my oldest and I went out and took a few maternity photos today, here's my favorite. 

Beautiful!!!

Trish

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Did you turn spring into fall? It is lovely.

edited May 2018

Beautiful!!!

Trish

Thank you

barbult said:

Did you turn spring into fall? It is lovely.

I did, it is really pretty with the greenery also but just popped with the orange and went so well with her coloring. It's a Nik filter by the way called Indian Summer, here's the original.  

IMG_6139E.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 200K

Oh yea, then I made her get out of the shot and just photographed the background, incase I ever need it for an art composite. lol 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I actually prefer the original, because it shows the actual timeframe of her pregnancy. Also, spring is symbolic of new life emerging. The fall dead leaves are a bit depressing to me, now that I've seen the green. 

barbult said:

I actually prefer the original, because it shows the actual timeframe of her pregnancy. Also, spring is symbolic of new life emerging. The fall dead leaves are a bit depressing to me, now that I've seen the green. 

She prefered the orange but kept the green because of the timeline thing also, but then told me to post the orange later. :) I like them both but think the orange has more pop to it. 

I like them both.  Both are appropriate I think.  The green for new life and new beginnings.  The fall for all that was lost.  The fall conveys a feeling of sadness (maybe just because we know).  I agree that the fall colors pop a bit more as well. She is quite beautiful!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

I like them both.  Both are appropriate I think.  The green for new life and new beginnings.  The fall for all that was lost.  The fall conveys a feeling of sadness (maybe just because we know).  I agree that the fall colors pop a bit more as well. She is quite beautiful!

I was thinking something along the same lines. The contrast between your daughter and the surrounding forest is interesting (not just the colors, but the whole yin/yang, beginning/end, cyclical, etc. nature of seasons, and life in general. 

The earlier image of your other daughter works well, too. Again, the contrast in your images (in this case her modern glasses with the historical armor) adds a lot. It's not just your pShop skills that make your images fantastic!

Thanks for sharing.

- Greg

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Your work is really amazing. Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration to others. I wish you and your family all the best.

Thank you @IceDragonArt I have been reading a lot of Greek mythology lately for a personal project I am working on. So in modern terms I like the whole "mother earth" feeling the image has and is what I saw when I took the photo. In mythology I think this image could represent one of the mother goddesses. Her reign starts in the spring - the green image but she also represents the harvest and to me the harvest is orange. So yea, I also think the image works either way. As I said, artistically though I just think the orange has more pop and if I were to enter it into competition, I would enter the orange one, unless they don't allow Photoshop, then it would have to be the green. lol 

Thank you @algovincian  I can't take credit for the glasses with the armor, that was a request from the author. To give you an idea of how crazy I am though, in the pregnancy photo, one of the things I was paying attention to in that shot was that curved branch in the background that goes around her head, I wanted it to frame her. I liked the way it arched and gave a sort of gateway feeing over the path. I kept inching around her until I got that branch right were I wanted it in relation to her and the path, and most people probably don't even notice it. lol 

Wanderer said:

Your work is really amazing. Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration to others. I wish you and your family all the best.

Thank you so mcuh

edited June 2018

He's a month old today but the new baby is here. Here's one of his newborn photos I took in his 1st week. I even pulled the old 4x6 soft box and studio lighting out of storage. :) 

Some recent work, I went a little nuts with the unicorn, here's the "pretty" one. A couple more comical ones in my gallery

And a character study of the villain for the 3rd book of the Underdog Mage series I'm doing covers for. 

IMG_6347BW.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 33K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I'm just catching up on your thread again. Beautiful work with that unicorn. Absolutely fantastic. Second, your daughter was beautiful pregnant. I love your photo of her, both versions. Third and most adorable, such a cute grandbaby!!! 

Oh my he is a cutie!  Love the mage and the unicorn. The unicorn looks very elegant. 

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Congrats on the grandbaby!