Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Go Kano!  Good for Kansas!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I tend to use only partial poses for arms for some reason. I like the i13 poses for this reason. Lots of arm options. 

I have been dissatisfied with store bought pose sets because they are a touch Samey. I really already have too many poses for guys where the character is just standing there posing. 

If I see an image these days with a pose I like I screenshot it and try my hand at reproducing it. 

I also tend to not like the expression sets I buy, I seem to prefer making my own.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    Odaa said:

If you can only buy one of Riversoft's posing scripts, make it Look at Me. It saves so much hassle on making characters look at the camera, look at each other, look at objects....the only thing that stumps it is sometimes when you're setting up multiple characters at a pre-determined camera point and it *seems* (from camera POV) like they should be able to look at each other easily, and then you use Look at Me and discover they are much farther away on the z-plane than you thought, and what is an objectively correct line of sight from the characters' POV looks "wrong" from the camera POV. Adjusting the percentage of head/neck bend and twist (options in Look at Me) can help you find a compromise between what the characters ought to be doing realistically and what looks good for the picture.

Eye Clock is a way of dialing the eyes to jointly point in one direction or another. It's very simple and intuitive, and RiverSoft created it significantly before Look at Me. They do different things, but most of the situations where I would find Eye Clock useful, I think Look at Me is more useful. Think of it as a supplement to Look at Me, for situations where you want a character facing one way but their eyes tracking another, or other specialized tasks where you need both scripts.

Bone Doctor: this allows you to quickly intensify ("exagerrate") or loosen ("relax") whole poses or specific bone hierarchies within a pose. On ANY figure. Also comes with scripts for converting G3 poses to G8 and vice versa, but I've not tried that yet. I think the idea on that part is that you apply the pose, and then apply the script to reposition the arms and legs to compensate for the difference between the zeroed poses on G3 and G8. The last time Riversoft had a major sale, I could only justify getting this or Pose Blender, and I don't regret that choice, but I am also picking up Pose Blender and Expression Mixer ASAP.

ETA: Pose Randomizer: Completely forgot I had this. It's useful for making overly rigid or symmetrical poses look more natural, or adding more variety to scenes where a bunch of people are by definition doing similar things (dinner conversations, Santa's workshop, etc). If you don't have Bone Doctor, you can use this to achieve somewhat similar results for loosening/tightening arm/leg hierarchies. Fun to play with (I don't think I've ever met a randomizer script in Daz that I didn't like), and useful in some situations but less important if you're not a professional pose-maker/obsessed with photorealism or animation.

Re: Look at Me, Isn't it just as easy to parent the eyes to the camera and/or twist the head? It seems that all the products just imitate what it is easy to do manually... The bone doctor seems OK to curl tails and such, but I'm trying to see what the advantages are to these...

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2018
    Odaa said:

If you can only buy one of Riversoft's posing scripts, make it Look at Me. It saves so much hassle on making characters look at the camera, look at each other, look at objects....the only thing that stumps it is sometimes when you're setting up multiple characters at a pre-determined camera point and it *seems* (from camera POV) like they should be able to look at each other easily, and then you use Look at Me and discover they are much farther away on the z-plane than you thought, and what is an objectively correct line of sight from the characters' POV looks "wrong" from the camera POV. Adjusting the percentage of head/neck bend and twist (options in Look at Me) can help you find a compromise between what the characters ought to be doing realistically and what looks good for the picture.

Eye Clock is a way of dialing the eyes to jointly point in one direction or another. It's very simple and intuitive, and RiverSoft created it significantly before Look at Me. They do different things, but most of the situations where I would find Eye Clock useful, I think Look at Me is more useful. Think of it as a supplement to Look at Me, for situations where you want a character facing one way but their eyes tracking another, or other specialized tasks where you need both scripts.

Bone Doctor: this allows you to quickly intensify ("exagerrate") or loosen ("relax") whole poses or specific bone hierarchies within a pose. On ANY figure. Also comes with scripts for converting G3 poses to G8 and vice versa, but I've not tried that yet. I think the idea on that part is that you apply the pose, and then apply the script to reposition the arms and legs to compensate for the difference between the zeroed poses on G3 and G8. The last time Riversoft had a major sale, I could only justify getting this or Pose Blender, and I don't regret that choice, but I am also picking up Pose Blender and Expression Mixer ASAP.

ETA: Pose Randomizer: Completely forgot I had this. It's useful for making overly rigid or symmetrical poses look more natural, or adding more variety to scenes where a bunch of people are by definition doing similar things (dinner conversations, Santa's workshop, etc). If you don't have Bone Doctor, you can use this to achieve somewhat similar results for loosening/tightening arm/leg hierarchies. Fun to play with (I don't think I've ever met a randomizer script in Daz that I didn't like), and useful in some situations but less important if you're not a professional pose-maker/obsessed with photorealism or animation.

Re: Look at Me, Isn't it just as easy to parent the eyes to the camera and/or twist the head? It seems that all the products just imitate what it is easy to do manually... The bone doctor seems OK to curl tails and such, but I'm trying to see what the advantages are to these...

I've had very mixed results using the traditional "point-at" trick on eyes, and I don't feel like the body pose dials under "Actor" give me enough freedom (compared to the slow, painful process of tweaking the bones by hand). Other people don't like them because apparently there's some extra steps to saving out poses created with the pose dials. Look at Me and Bone Doctor speed up the process of bending/twisting this joint this much, and then the other joint this much, then the other other joint this much, without making the process of saving the result more complicated.

Riversoft's scripts are basically time-savers and labor-savers, originally created for the PA's own use. If it works better for you to invest time/work than money in your art, and you are good at posing, then pose sets in general and scripts for speeding up the posing process are not the best investment of your money for this hobby.

Post edited by Odaa on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

I've had very mixed results using the traditional "point-at" trick on eyes, and I don't feel like the body pose dials under "Actor" give me enough freedom (compared to the slow, painful process of tweaking the bones by hand). Other people don't like them because apparently there's some extra steps to saving out poses created with the pose dials. Look at Me and Bone Doctor speed up the process of bending/twisting this joint this much, and then the other joint this much, then the other other joint this much, without making the process of saving the result more complicated.

Riversoft's scripts are basically time-savers and labor-savers, originally created for the PA's own use. If it works better for you to invest time/work than money in your art, and you are good at posing, then pose sets in general and scripts for speeding up the posing process are not the best investment of your money for this hobby.

Does it add side/side ability for the forearm? It drives me crazy that it was removed. Why is it harder to save poses created under actor? I did not know that...

• Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

Does it add side/side ability for the forearm? It drives me crazy that it was removed. Why is it harder to save poses created under actor? I did not know that...

Forearms have never had side-to-side, sicne human forearms don't. They bend and they twist. The upper arm twists to control the direction of the forearm.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Odaa said:
    Odaa said:

It doesn't add any new transforms, just makes it easier to work with the ones you already have. Bone Doctor is really helpful for things like "I can't get the left hand onto the lower grip of this two-handed sword unless I tense up all the major joints in both arms" or "I want these two characters to hug more tightly."

My understanding is that if you create a pose using the pose-dials under actor (not the transforms on the individual bones) the dial positions won't be remembered if you try to save it as a regular pose. There's some process for "baking" the changes to the joints that I don't remember the details of, that makes them saveable.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited April 2018

While we are discussing RiversoftArt's pose scripts, Are there any opinions about Assembly Line Pose Automation Kit: https://www.daz3d.com/assembly-line-pose-automation-kit ?

Thanks

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited April 2018

Gotta love it, studio crashed again. "Unhandled win32 exception 2096"  With a character and hair (Neftis, I assume fiber hair?)  Second time, rendered the exact same scene just fine. 

BD Harlyn (Gen8F)         Georgina Pin-Up Hair (Gen8F)       dForce Mary Jane Outfit (Gen8F)        Sonia Hair Gen 3F/Gen8F

Remember, this is the gal where the eyelashes do not load correctly, @belladzines needs to fix that.

I got the Pin-Up hair on sale, I think it's okay for distant shots but I'm not fond of it for closeups. I tried quite a few things, including various hair product shaders which also including various blending options. The hair just doesn't look as good when compared to other hair. Of course, artist expertise in rendering the hair also comes into play LOL. I didn't want to increase contrast or mess with it too much, I wanted an out of the box. And it did change a bit depending on the lighting too, I tested several. But overall, there was something that still didn't look good.  I tried different transparencies, and had to make my own color, the hair just doesn't have many colors, or options for that matter. 

You'll really the 40's/50's/60's vibe if you use the eyeliner option. One thing about this character- really take note- this gal has exaggerated makekups. You have the natural look, the eyeliner look, then BOLD, harsh colors after that. Good for fantasy, but if you want subtle makeups, this isn't the material set for you. You can of course use other characters' materials if you like the morphs. I love the mouth personally!  And Sonia Hair can be used across many time periods. Love the sultry bangs. It may take awhile to render if you're on a slower computer. 

I get a Marilyn Monroe vibe from this one.

BD Harlyn2.png
    600 x 800 - 827K
    BD Harlyn3.png
    400 x 800 - 347K
    Harlyn5.png
    600 x 800 - 508K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158
    edited April 2018

I picked up H&C Fit & Flare Dress for Genesis 3 Female(s) in the sales a couple of days ago. I like this dress, it can be lengthened and has long and short sleeve options. The first image with one of the supplied textures and the second is textured using Fabric Factory. It's very quick and easy to retexture this dress.

The model is Aiko 7, wearing Victoria 5 Elite Ponytail Hair (reshaded with UH2 shaders).

SaveSave

18 04 20 Aiko 7 demure dress 1.jpg
    500 x 800 - 293K
    18 04 20 Aiko 7 demure dress 2.jpg
    500 x 800 - 317K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited April 2018

@novica eww you running win32?  You really need to upgrade to a 64 bit os & DS.  Odds are you are running into the 2gb memory limit of win32.  Just because you may have 4gb+ of ram doesn't mean windows 32 can actually use it.  You could try using "LAA" Large Address Aware (google it for windows) to bump you up to 3gb like we have to do with Bryce as a stopgap free option.

Post edited by greymouser69 on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

So what I'm getting is that ALL of the Riversoft Art pose scripts are worth having LOL. 

My operating system says 64 bit and I've always had 64bit daz studio. So don't know why that came up. 

• Well it sounds like something is 32 bit, maybe a driver or something.

I updated all drivers when (IIRC) RGcincy did his. A couple weeks ago. I'm SO not technical. I just spent fifteen minutes trying to double check the operating system, but none of the steps take me where it says it should logically go. (Like click this, My Computer will show up, etc) Not happening. I'm WIndows 10. As for DS, how do I check 64 vs 32 bit, or is it just 64 bit for everyone?

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    L'Adair said:
    jakiblue said:

As someone who hasn't yet purchased any RiverSoft Art products, I was wondering if an experienced buyer could tell me the difference between his various pose products:

Assembly Line Pose Automation

Bone Doctor Pose Control

Pose Blender

Pose Randomizer

Do they all do different things from one another, or are they all relatively the same? Is one more useful than the others...as in, you would use it a lot more often? I'm just a bit unsure what everything DOES! LOL

I have two of the four listed, a few more that are not listed, and I'm buying more later today! I'd say they complement each other. They definitely are not "relatively the same."

As someone who looked at the various products as they came out and thought, I can do that without a script, then finally bought one or two because of what others were saying in the forums, I feel uniquely qualified to say, "Get them all!"

Okay, that might be a little too enthusiastic, but I've found RSA's scripts to be invaluable. The Pose Blender scripts allow you choose two figures in your scene and blend the pose of one with the pose of the other. You can do this for the entire pose, (and it works on dragons, too,) or you can use another script and select which parts to blend. (Unfortunately for dragon lovers, the selective script doesn't work on the tails or wings.) Although I have the Bone Doctor Pose Control, my more recent experience is with the Dragon version. I don't remember everything I did, but I do know I would have given up without that script.

And while you're at it, take a look at Look At Me Pose Control. I'm buying that today. I've been kicking myself for weeks for not buying it when it was released. I have Eye Clock Pose Control for G3/G8 and Expression Mixer as well. Both have become invaluable assets in my runtime.

@Knittingmommy has Pose Randomizer and so does @IceDragonArt. Both used it in their entries in RSA's anniversary contest: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/233961/. I've also read praise for the product in their posts long before the contest.

I hope this helps, though I fear it may have made things even more difficult to decide.

@jakiblue

Yeah, all of those products do slightly different things. I have all four of them.

Assembly Line Pose Automation is great if you make a lot of poses and then need mirror poses and partial poses from your original poses. It definitely cuts some of the tedious work when creating partials and mirrors.

Bone Doctor - I haven't played with this a lot. I know it can convert poses between G3 and G8 figures which is the main reason I picked it up. It also does some other things to help create new poses, but I haven't played with it a lot yet.

Pose Blender - can take two poses and blend them together. You can do the top of one pose and the bottom of another pose and put them together to make a new pose. 

Pose Randomizer - This is a cute little script that I like a lot. It will take your pose and randomly adjust it to a new pose. You control how much you want the pose to change. One thing I like about it is that you can select bones and only use the randomizer on those select bones and it leaves the rest of the figure alone. I used it on just the hands in my entry for RSA's contest. 

If you don't have any of the four yet, I'd probably start by picking up the Pose Blender and the Pose Randomizer and then add to your collection of RSA scripts from there. So far, I've found all the scripts I've purchased useful and they work great. The scripts have found a permanent home on my menu bar under Scripts so I can find them easier as I'm using them more and more every day.

Since RSA was on sale, I've also managed to pick up a few extra scripts that I hadn't picked up before which is great. Like others, I regretted not getting the Look At Me script. I have that now. I also picked up the Expression Mixer.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2018
    jakiblue said:

So what I'm getting is that ALL of the Riversoft Art pose scripts are worth having LOL. 

YES! lol

That is just my opinion. (I have four, make that five, RSA scripts in my cart right now, debating on whether to check out before Daz Midnight, or wait and see what tomorrow brings… Thanks to what KM said about the automation script.)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

This one in my gallery was done today with Pose Randomizer and Expression Mixer.

edited April 2018
    Novica said:
    I got the Pin-Up hair on sale, I think it's okay for distant shots but I'm not fond of it for closeups. I tried quite a few things, including various hair product shaders which also including various blending options. The hair just doesn't look as good when compared to other hair. Of course, artist expertise in rendering the hair also comes into play LOL. I didn't want to increase contrast or mess with it too much, I wanted an out of the box. And it did change a bit depending on the lighting too, I tested several. But overall, there was something that still didn't look good.  I tried different transparencies, and had to make my own color, the hair just doesn't have many colors, or options for that matter.

Georgina Pin-Up Hair (Gen8F) reminded me of Sheridan Hair (for G3F) when it was released, but I liked Sheridan better. The side buns can be removed with Sheridan Hair. Georgina Hair appears to be longer, but it's also straighter, and I prefer the big loose curls of Sheridan Hair. The following renders are from May 2017, entries in Zev0's SB3 contest.

Hooray For The Red, White, and Blue, by L'Adair

Feeling Patriotic

Sheridan Hair is for G3F. Any G3F hair will work on G8F without auto-fit, preserving all the morphs, if you change the Scene Identification to G8F.

• Load the G3F hair. If it tries to auto-fit to your G8F figure, hit the Cancel button.
    • Select the G3F hair in the Scene tab and open the Scene tab Menu.
    • Scroll down to Edit->Scene Identification and select.
    • In the resulting popup dialog, look for "Preferred Base :" at the bottom, then click on the very small button on the far right that has an ellipsis (…) for a label.
    • Locate and select Genesis 8->Female in the list. (List is alphabetical.)
    • Right-click on the G3F Hair and select Fit to->[your G8F character]
    Novica said:

I updated all drivers when (IIRC) RGcincy did his. A couple weeks ago. I'm SO not technical. I just spent fifteen minutes trying to double check the operating system, but none of the steps take me where it says it should logically go. (Like click this, My Computer will show up, etc) Not happening. I'm WIndows 10. As for DS, how do I check 64 vs 32 bit, or is it just 64 bit for everyone?

32-bit is still available, but Iray requires 64-bit.

I don't know why I got that 32 bit error message, it's again, a bug in the studio and not on my end. SO tired of the crashes, and that's the first time for THAT error message.

Anyone have LY Adair? I'm not getting any reflections of light in the eyes. I checked the eye moisture in surface pane and it has settings, but not sure what i should look for. I've tried it with different lights and the pupils are pitch black, no light reflected on the eyes at all. What should I be looking for?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039
    edited April 2018

Win32 has nothing to do with bits either 32 or 64 it is a process in all windows.

Something I found online which may, or may not, help.

a.. Right click My PC / Properties.
      b.. Click Advanced Tab
      c.. Under Performance, click Settings
      d.. Click Data Excecution Prevention tab
      e.. Select Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only
      f.. Restart Windows

Post edited by Fishtales on

Sandy- So where are you finding My PC? 

barbult said:

This one in my gallery was done today with Pose Randomizer and Expression Mixer.

He looks like Prince William! Guess he left Kate at home. 

edited April 2018
    Novica said:

Sandy- So where are you finding My PC? 

It is the Computer icon on the desktop.

Or Start button/Control Panel/System. (Start button is bottom left of the screen.

Post edited by Fishtales on

Not on mine it isn't. :(  There's no icon, at least from what I think I'm seeing. But thanks for trying to help, appreciate as always.

The Start button should be at the end of the Windows Task bar at the bottom of the screen.

edited April 2018
    Novica said:

Not on mine it isn't. :(  There's no icon, at least from what I think I'm seeing. But thanks for trying to help, appreciate as always.

Windows 10, right?

• Do you have a shortcut for "This PC" on your desktop? (Clicking on it opens a folder view of your computer and hard drives.) If not, you can get there from any open folder. Look for This PC in the left column. Click on that.
    • Now in the upper left corner you should see what looks like a page with a red checkmark. Mine shows one large and one small icon. Click on either one. This will open your Control Panel System window.
    • In the left column, you should see "Advanced system settings." Click on that.
    • Another window should open with System Properties across the top and the Advanced tab active.
    • Look for Performance within a visual box and click on the associated Settings… button. (On my computer, it's the first Settings… button.)
    • This opens yet another window. The last tab on the right is Data Execution Prevention. Click on that tab.
    • You now have two options. The one you want, based on the instructions Sandy posted, should be the first one. (On my computer, it's already selected.)

I hope this helps.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Sheridan Hair is a MUCH better made hair than Georgina hair, by a country mile. 

L'adair, does that scene identification only work between G3 and G8? It won't work for say G2 -> G8? 

L'Adair said:
    Novica said:

Georgina Pin-Up Hair (Gen8F) reminded me of Sheridan Hair (for G3F) when it was released, but I liked Sheridan better. The side buns can be removed with Sheridan Hair. Georgina Hair appears to be longer, but it's also straighter, and I prefer the big loose curls of Sheridan Hair. The following renders are from May 2017, entries in Zev0's SB3 contest.

Sheridan Hair is for G3F. Any G3F hair will work on G8F without auto-fit, preserving all the morphs, if you change the Scene Identification to G8F.

• Load the G3F hair. If it tries to auto-fit to your G8F figure, hit the Cancel button.
    • Select the G3F hair in the Scene tab and open the Scene tab Menu.
    • Scroll down to Edit->Scene Identification and select.
    • In the resulting popup dialog, look for "Preferred Base :" at the bottom, then click on the very small button on the far right that has an ellipsis (…) for a label.
    • Locate and select Genesis 8->Female in the list. (List is alphabetical.)
    • Right-click on the G3F Hair and select Fit to->[your G8F character]

Thank you @L'Adair I have Windows 7 so I don't know the configuration for 10. It should be selected as the default but I have been reading that some programs can change it when being installed.

I have a stable install of the latest Studio ATM and it hasn't shut down for a while now unless I do something stupid like trying to do too many things at once too fast which confuses it and it either locks up for a while, completely or just crashes.

This discussion has been closed.