Rim Light Rig Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

No, here they are again circled in red. They aren't very bright but there are 5 of them. Click to enlarge. You might have to adjust how you're sitting. I know that sounds funny but you might not see them if you're slouched in your seat. Look directly at the image.

RimLightRigIrayPlanesShowing.JPG
    1003 x 802 - 76K

I am rendering again at 3x (3,000 x 2,400) and will post when done.

When you click the image and it opens in a new window, you might need to click that one too so it enlarges.

By rendering 3x larger, I found one more light that is showing. If you look at the viewport screenshot, it is the light just below her waist, which is LightPlane4. It is partially obscured by the fur at her waist.

Does this help?

RLRIrayViewport6LightsSelected.JPG
    1380 x 857 - 195K
    RLRIrayPlanesShowing2.jpg
    3000 x 2400 - 2M
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

Yep.

@Marshian, is there a recommended angle (or range) that works best with your light rig, to prevent the planes from showing in renders?

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited February 2018

Hi dawnblade. These planes have opacity set extremely low, something like .0001. Without knowing the situation of your scene I'll just tell you that they may still show up:

1. in extreme DOF without sufficient render time
    2. atmospsheres like AtmoCam or Fog
    3. reflections
    4. if they come in contact with a surface using opacity masks

Let me know if your situation, where you are seeing them, is not related to one of these. If it is you'll most likely have to move the object showing the planes or the planes themselves. If you move the planes they will still point towards the "light pointer". I'm standing by

dawnblade said:

@Marshian, is there a recommended angle (or range) that works best with your light rig, to prevent the planes from showing in renders?

Post edited by Marshian on
    Marshian said:

Hi dawnblade. These planes have opacity set extremely low, something like .0001. Without knowing the situation of your scene I'll just tell you that they may still show up:

1. in extreme DOF without sufficient render time
    2. atmospsheres like AtmoCam or Fog
    3. reflections
    4. if they come in contact with a surface using opacity masks

Let me know if your situation, where you are seeing them, is not related to one of these. If it is you'll most likely have to move the object showing the planes or the planes themselves. If you move the planes they will still point towards the "light pointer". I'm standing by

dawnblade said:

Thank you @Marshian for these guidelines. No DOF or atmosphere in this scene. I hid the base and rock she is standing on, and hid her hair and clothes, so no reflections from them, but the render still has the same issue. I then removed the blanket, belt and jewelry: Basically she's naked with no hair, with just a horse body. No other props, but the render still shows the planes.

That leaves her skin, the horse's skin and hair on the tail, which I'll test later after I get home from work.

Thanks again for your help.

Huh, not sure now. You may need to post a screen cap. Do they show as clear solid planes or more of a ghost image that looks kind of grainy?

And you haven't adjusted the surfaces from default, I'm assuming.

Oh, I have another idea about this. I just viewed the thread history above and wonder if the HDR/Environment Settings VS having an actual prop behind the figure is to blame? Maybe they show when there is no geometry behind them? It doesn't make sense but could be a direction to check out.

No surface adjustments. Environment is scene only, not dome and scene. The environment backdrop is just the color black, no prop. I think IceDragonArt said earlier that she uses a transparent background, which wouldn't have geometry but she's not having this issue.

could you try with geometry behind and/or transparent and see how that works? the settings for these lights works by exploiting a quirk, an object that is invisible should not emit light, so it may have unpredictable behavior. I cant test thus myself right now.

Marshian said:

could you try with geometry behind and/or transparent and see how that works? the settings for these lights works by exploiting a quirk, an object that is invisible should not emit light, so it may have unpredictable behavior. I cant test thus myself right now.

Working on it now. Thanks.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

I've been using transparent.

Adding a building didn't help. The same lights still show up in the render. The character is FW Chara HD, and I think I'm using the high translucency option for her skin. Could that cause this issue? I'll try the medium translucency when I get home. If that doesn't help I'll try a different mat for the horse.

I don't think any surfaces would be causing this unless it was something with an opacity mask and the plane was actually intersecting with it
    dawnblade said:

Adding a building didn't help. The same lights still show up in the render. The character is FW Chara HD, and I think I'm using the high translucency option for her skin. Could that cause this issue? I'll try the medium translucency when I get home. If that doesn't help I'll try a different mat for the horse.

• Love these lights...

But a question from a lighting semi-novice...I have set the lights up in a scene in a way and in a position that I like...then saved that particular lighting preset with "save all lights" selected...But if I then open the exact same scene WITHOUT any lighting and then attempt to apply the saved preset, they are loaded in an incorrect position...

What am I missing in the "saving preset" process for these Marshian lights..?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you! Yes, I do to, I still use them frequently.

I would save the group, rig, and light pointer as a scene subset. That should lock in the position and all settings. 

Just a reminder- the presets with light panels render a bit more realistically and quicker than the presets with spotlights...I think.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Thank you again, Marshian...

• Love this set, it's one of my fav and constant go-to lights. I recently downloaded and installed Daz 4.20 and now the main rim light set is not working correctly (needs a lot of adjusting to make any image look decent. The spotlights on this same set are working just fine (different kind of lights not ghost) Any chance of an update for this product? or a new replacement product for this? 

edited February 2022

Hi Abstract Soul. Your post just alerted me to this issue. I just installed 4.20 myself and hadn't encountered this yet. There's a conversation on the PA side of the forum about this and DAZ is aware of it. A solution is on the way. I dont know if it will come from DAZ or all the artists who use these mesh lights.

This was mentioned as a temporary fix: 

"Use a cutout opacity of 0.0000001 and a luminanace value of 1000000000.0. Set the luminanace units to cd/cm^2.

You can use the primary ray culling on top of this, but using primary ray culling alone will leave the lights visible in reflections."

I'll stay on top of this. 

Abstract Soul said:

Love this set, it's one of my fav and constant go-to lights. I recently downloaded and installed Daz 4.20 and now the main rim light set is not working correctly (needs a lot of adjusting to make any image look decent. The spotlights on this same set are working just fine (different kind of lights not ghost) Any chance of an update for this product? or a new replacement product for this? 

Post edited by Marshian on

Marshian said:

Hi Abstract Soul. Your post just alerted me to this issue. I just installed 4.20 myself and hadn't encountered this yet. There's a conversation on the PA side of the forum about this and DAZ is aware of it. A solution is on the way. I dont know if it will come from DAZ or all the artists who use these mesh lights.

This was mentioned as a temporary fix: 

"Use a cutout opacity of 0.0000001 and a luminanace value of 1000000000.0. Set the luminanace units to cd/cm^2.

You can use the primary ray culling on top of this, but using primary ray culling alone will leave the lights visible in reflections."

I'll stay on top of this. 

Abstract Soul said:

Love this set, it's one of my fav and constant go-to lights. I recently downloaded and installed Daz 4.20 and now the main rim light set is not working correctly (needs a lot of adjusting to make any image look decent. The spotlights on this same set are working just fine (different kind of lights not ghost) Any chance of an update for this product? or a new replacement product for this? 

I found this too: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/548061/iray-ghost-light-fix-dse-for-daz-studio-4-20-o-later

Abstract Soul said:

• I did try the script and value fix, it does help, however, the light values change so Older scenes must be relit and it's quite the work so if something is done in sequence (I deal with sequences) it becomes quite the time eater. 

Marshian said:

I found this too: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/548061/iray-ghost-light-fix-dse-for-daz-studio-4-20-o-later

Abstract Soul said:

Ok. I see. That makes sense and it's a good argument for trying to make sure these products still work. I'm following a few sources for this issue and will stay on top of it. I also need to learn how to create these lights within the new parameters, surfaces, etc.

This showed up today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TARGzbeeSIk

• Thank you for all your hard work, Watching the video now :) 

Marshian said:

Ok. I see. That makes sense and it's a good argument for trying to make sure these products still work. I'm following a few sources for this issue and will stay on top of it. I also need to learn how to create these lights within the new parameters, surfaces, etc.

This showed up today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TARGzbeeSIk

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225

Very late to this.  Luckily I’m still on D|S 4.12.

Even though I’ve had RLR for a bit I dusted it off because I’ve been working on night scenes and wanted a rim light for separation.  I’ve been trained and have worked as a lighting cameraman irl and while I can use the spotlights for rim lights, I wanted something that was convenient.

Am posting several test renders, the first being without the RLR and the second with.  Needless to say this will be part of my kit from now on!

Thanks for sharing your work 3dLux

Following up: I hope to have info on how this product will be updated for 4.20 soon. 

• Thanks, looking forward to it.  

Marshian said:

Thanks for sharing your work 3dLux

Following up: I hope to have info on how this product will be updated for 4.20 soon. 

Just wanted to drop by here and say the background conversation is continuing, so that's good. More options are emerging, I'm getting more feedback, and I'm analyzing all of it.

If I don't hear back soon-ish that there will be an overall fix to all products I'll create some kind of patch or update. 

• Thank you :)  

Marshian said:

Just wanted to drop by here and say the background conversation is continuing, so that's good. More options are emerging, I'm getting more feedback, and I'm analyzing all of it.

If I don't hear back soon-ish that there will be an overall fix to all products I'll create some kind of patch or update.