Rim Light Rig Iray [Commercial]

1235»

Comments

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

I have another problem now. I have oval shadow blobs in my scene where other light is shining on the Rim Light Rig spotlights. Is that because the spotlights are setup as disc geometry instead of point? If I change the light geometry to point, the shadows disappear.

That's my guess although I'm not quite sure what you mean. They are regular spotlights so all same characteristics apply for light geometry. If you change to point it should clear up the blobs. I used the disk setting to soften the shadows as it's more like a light diffuser than a single bright LED or halogen.

Yet another question: Once a Rim Light Rig is loaded, is there a way to change the clolor or top/bottom, etc., or do I have to delete the rig and load a whole different Rim Light Rig?

As with regular spotlights, you can select the light(s), and change the light color or temperature to adjust in the parameters tab. For the light planes, select the one(s) you want to adjust, and look in the surface pane under emission color and temperature. 

edited July 2022

This should help. I put tips in with promos.      https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86528/i/rimlightrig220daz3d.jpg

The fabric in this promo has the shaders applied: https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86528/i/rimlightrig204daz3d.jpg

barbult said:

Can you believe I still have more questions? How are the shader presets supposed to be used? I assumed they were to be applied to the LightPlanes, by selecting the LightPlanes in the Scene pane and then also in the Surfaces pane and applying the shader preset to change the light color. I see that it changes Translucency Color, but does not change Emission Color. The lighting from the Rim Light Rig doesn't seem to change in my scene.

Post edited by Marshian on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Marshian said:

This should help. I put tips in with promos.      https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86528/i/rimlightrig220daz3d.jpg

The fabric in this promo has the shaders applied: https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86528/i/rimlightrig204daz3d.jpg

barbult said:

Can you believe I still have more questions? How are the shader presets supposed to be used? I assumed they were to be applied to the LightPlanes, by selecting the LightPlanes in the Scene pane and then also in the Surfaces pane and applying the shader preset to change the light color. I see that it changes Translucency Color, but does not change Emission Color. The lighting from the Rim Light Rig doesn't seem to change in my scene.

Thanks! Well, I sure misunderstood what to do with those shader presets!  I think I didn't pay much attention to the promos. blush I just saw "Marshian" and put it in my cart. yes Thanks for straightening me out.

Ahhhhh, very nice. Enjoy.  

barbult said:

Marshian said:

barbult said:

Thanks! Well, I sure misunderstood what to do with those shader presets!  I think I didn't pay much attention to the promos. blush I just saw "Marshian" and put it in my cart. yes Thanks for straightening me out.

edited July 2022

I used the Miami planes on Gabriela.

Gabriela with Rim Light Rig Miami makeup_001_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 767

@barbult Glad to see you got the RLR working and nice image of Gabriela with backlighting on the hair, neck, cheek and temple... looks great!

edited July 2022

robertswww said:

@barbult Glad to see you got the RLR working and nice image of Gabriela with backlighting on the hair, neck, cheek and temple... looks great!

Thanks. I think my main problem was not understanding how to use it, because I didn't realize that the product promo images were the place to find instructions. Marshian pointed that out, and then things started making more sense. I was not able to reproduce the problem I had with the pointer movement not changing the light. That was most likely just user error, too. I'm continuing to experiment with the product. Here's another image I made where I used the spotlights this time and applied one of the shaders to the dress (which already had some of those free Halloween shaders applied).

I added another image. I was playing with Mesh to Volume and decided it looked like a dust storm in the Rim Light Rig lighting. So I turned my gal into a dust storm scene.

G8F Canary Dress from G2F_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    G8F Canary Dress from G2F with VDB_004_Default Camera 100%.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Has anyone been able to use the Light Planes?  I can use the spotlights and get rim lights but not the other.  I will mess around with it again later in the week but I have to prepare for work the next three days.  I will start with a new scene and see if that helps.

Image created using the spotlight planes:

PrettyInPinkTM07172022.jpg
    1864 x 2925 - 5M
    The first image I posted here used the planes.
    edited July 2022

The background in this render is an image in the Environment pane. It doesn't contribute to lighting at all. I found that the rim light rig could offer subtle red and blue lighting to make her blend better with the background image. I used the Top Only rig and changed the light colors. I especially like how it reflected off of the metal ring on her jacket.

G8.1F Alawa Rim Light_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M