Rim Light Rig Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Hi Abstract Soul and everyone else watching this thread. I'm following the thread below from Kindred Arts on what I'll do next concerning this product. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551301/ghost-lights-what-s-happening-and-what-s-next/p1

• Hi, I did get the ghost lights new product (it was like 2us for us previous users) and it's a very good update, works really well. I'm very excited to check out the Martian update (It really is my go-to lights, a truly wonderful product)

Thank you for your effort on this

Absoul

Marshian said:

Hi Abstract Soul and everyone else watching this thread. I'm following the thread below from Kindred Arts on what I'll do next concerning this product. 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551301/ghost-lights-what-s-happening-and-what-s-next/p1

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

Are you also going to fix Tenebroso Lighting? The soft ones, my favorite lights, don't work any more.

Oh yes, I will. Thanks for the heads up on this luci45.

This one too: https://www.daz3d.com/the-void. Most of this set still works great but one of the lights will need to be fixed. 

• Love the void! 

Marshian said:

This one too: https://www.daz3d.com/the-void. Most of this set still works great but one of the lights will need to be fixed. 

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

Marshian said:

Awesome!

I love your products, have many of them.

• Abstract SoulAbstract Soul Posts: 159

Hi Marshian,

Any news on the rim light product update?  Really looking forward to test old scenes with the update :) 

Marshian said:

Thanks for following up. I'm finishing up a big project that's been in the works for a while. Updates for Rim Light Rig Iray and Tenebroso lighting are my next products to work on. Don't hold me to this but my best guess is it could be 3 weeks. I'll update Rim Light Rig first. Let me know if there are any new features you'd like added. I have some ideas cooking that are pretty unique. 

Abstract Soul said:

Hi Marshian,

Any news on the rim light product update?  Really looking forward to test old scenes with the update :) 

Marshian said:

• Abstract SoulAbstract Soul Posts: 159

Thanks for your response, and yeah I would love some more color options on the lights (just for faster production instead of going one by one to change to a specific color)  (this would also be nice for the rim light shaders for hair and some means to play with the transparency of the effect could help since sometimes the shaders change completely the texture)

Hope your big project is a success 

:) 

Marshian said:

Thanks for following up. I'm finishing up a big project that's been in the works for a while. Updates for Rim Light Rig Iray and Tenebroso lighting are my next products to work on. Don't hold me to this but my best guess is it could be 3 weeks. I'll update Rim Light Rig first. Let me know if there are any new features you'd like added. I have some ideas cooking that are pretty unique. 

Abstract Soul said:

Hi Marshian,

Marshian said:

edited July 2022

This month, I'm celebrating 10 years of creating 3d content for Daz Studio!

The new version of Rim Light Rig 2 will be available in the store soon.

Post edited by Marshian on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    Congrats!!
  • robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 767

Marshian said:

This month, I'm celebrating 10 years of creating 3d content for Daz Studio!

Awesome achievement... love your products! 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,149

Congratulations! (I'm another of your fans)

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Awesome! Congratulations! smiley

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 245

Thank you for the generous discount on the updated set for previous owners. I used this quite often & look forward to using the new one in 4.20.

• very generous of you Marshian, Very much appreciated. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

Thanks a lot for it:

https://www.daz3d.com/rim-light-rig-2

Any tips, abot how to use it?

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Thank you Marshian! yes

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

thanks you for the very generous discount on the update!

i'm happy to see you've added the partial (sides/top/bottom) setups as preset options.  i've been doing that manually for the last six months or so.

i've also been using the rigs for dramatic non-rim lighting by offsetting the rig from a figure some distance, parenting the rig to a node that's more or less at the figure's center, and then rotating that node and/or adjusting its y-height.  that gives really nice nuanced control over highlight and shadow on the figure, especially with low light/night HDRIs.

thanks again!

:)

j

https://www.daz3d.com/rim-light-rig-2

Thanks for all the comments and gratitude. It means a lot and it's good to know what I've done (the fix and the new presets) are well-received. 

Artini - As far as usage, I have built this rig with figures being the primary subject but it can be scaled to light objects of different sizes. So, load a figure, load one of the presets, and do a test render. It helps if the background light is somewhat dim or turned off. These directions will give you a quick feel for usage. Let me know if you have specific questions. 

• Just adding another thank you for the affordable upgrade! I'm sorry you had to go through the effort of fixing something that you didn't break. I use this set a LOT, an was devastated when all my ghost lights stopped working. So... thank you. It really does mean a lot!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

I really appreciated the update and the discount. Every PA that has put in that extra work to update their products because of Nvidia's 'issue' has my loyalty.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

Marshian said:

Thanks for all the comments and gratitude. It means a lot and it's good to know what I've done (the fix and the new presets) are well-received. 

Artini - As far as usage, I have built this rig with figures being the primary subject but it can be scaled to light objects of different sizes. So, load a figure, load one of the presets, and do a test render. It helps if the background light is somewhat dim or turned off. These directions will give you a quick feel for usage. Let me know if you have specific questions. 

Thanks. That is, how I have used it so far. Just thought, that there are the other directions.

Will do more experiments.

I'm frequently trying to create something new and make it easy to use, it can be a challenging place. Yeah, this one is familiar to most people and none of the usage has changed except that the issues of the old ghost lights are gone. Woot!
    Artini said:

Marshian said:

Thanks. That is, how I have used it so far. Just thought, that there are the other directions.

Will do more experiments.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

I just bought this. I don't own the previous version. I'm lost. When I load a Spotlights preset, I get a Light Pointer loaded as well as the Rim Light Rig. What is the Light Pointer for? It doesn't seem to do anything. The Rim Light Rig is not parented to it or anything. If I rotate or move the Light Pointer, I don't see anything about the lighting change. Help, please. Are there instructions?

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 767

barbult said:

I just bought this. I don't own the previous version. I'm lost. When I load a Spotlights preset, I get a Light Pointer loaded as well as the Rim Light Rig. What is the Light Pointer for? It doesn't seem to do anything. The Rim Light Rig is not parented to it or anything. If I rotate or move the Light Pointer, I don't see anything about the lighting change. Help, please. Are there instructions?

The Light Pointer is used to position the red & green crosshairs where to aim the lights (on the Rim Light Rig). Note: The Light Pointer should be in front of the Rim Light Rig (otherwise rotate your Rim Light Rig 180-degrees). I'm sure @Marshian will jump-in to add more help. 

Hi barbult. Thanks robertswww.

Check this out: https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86528/i/rimlightrig221daz3d.jpg

edited July 2022

robertswww said:

barbult said:

The Light Pointer is used to position the red & green crosshairs where to aim the lights (on the Rim Light Rig). Note: The Light Pointer should be in front of the Rim Light Rig (otherwise rotate your Rim Light Rig 180-degrees). I'm sure @Marshian will jump-in to add more help. 

Thanks for your reply. Moving the Light Pointer crosshair doesn't change where the Rim Light Rig points at all for me. Is there some other settings I have to change or some preset I need to apply? Do I have to go into Parameters and set Point At? Are there instructions for using this product? Edit: This is working for me now when I started over in a new scene. I don't know what I did differently.

I have another problem now. I have oval shadow blobs in my scene where other light is shining on the Rim Light Rig spotlights. Is that because the spotlights are setup as disc geometry instead of point? If I change the light geometry to point, the shadows disappear.

Yet another question: Once a Rim Light Rig is loaded, is there a way to change the clolor or top/bottom, etc., or do I have to delete the rig and load a whole different Rim Light Rig?

Post edited by barbult on
    edited July 2022

Marshian said:

Hi barbult. Thanks robertswww.

Check this out: https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/86528/i/rimlightrig221daz3d.jpg

Thanks for the reference. It says all lights follow the light pointer, but I don't see that happening. What makes the lights follow the pointer? They seem to be independent scene objects (lights vs. pointer) with no dependency between them. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Wait! I just created a new scene and loaded the RLR2 Miami spotlights and now moving the Light Pointer DOES move the lights. I don't know what was wrong with my last attempt. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

edited July 2022

Can you believe I still have more questions? How are the shader presets supposed to be used? I assumed they were to be applied to the LightPlanes, by selecting the LightPlanes in the Scene pane and then also in the Surfaces pane and applying the shader preset to change the light color. I see that it changes Translucency Color, but does not change Emission Color. The lighting from the Rim Light Rig doesn't seem to change in my scene.

Similarly, I can't see any lighting change if I apply the Transparency Utility shaders to the LightPlanes. What should I see?