Iray Ghost Light Fix (dse) for Daz Studio 4.20 o later

jag11jag11 Posts: 885
edited March 2022 in Freebies

Small script to fix the ghost lights. This script enables the advanced Iray properties including the "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" property.

Brief instructions:

1. Download ZIP from the link below
  2. Save the content of the ZIP file in your Content Library/Scripts
  3. Execute "IrayGhostLightFix.dse"
  4. Select the emissive node you want to fix
  5. Click "Repair" icon button.

After executing the script check your Parameters tab, you'll find two new properties "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" under path "Display/Rendering/Iray".

The property "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" controls light geometry visibility On = light geometry visible, Off = light geometry not visible.

HTH.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/81/d090a788c1454f67863c1b4273188c.zip updated 20220313 19:15

Post edited by jag11 on

Comments

• Thank You :-)

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761

Cool. Thanks so much for makin' this fix.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

Thank you @jag11. And for also telling this 'idiot' how to install and use!

Mary

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

awesome ! thanks a lot !yes

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Many thanks!

• edited February 2022

When I select the emissive surface and run the script I am told it failed to load.I also tried by selecting the ghostlight in the scene tree.

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on
  • second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 said:

When I select the emissive surface and run the script I am told it failed to load.I also tried by selecting the ghostlight in the scene tree.

Which version of Daz Studio?

• You need to be using the latest Public Build to benfit from the script, and as it is .dse it will check that the version running it is no older than the version it was saved from.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Richard Haseltine said:

You need to be using the latest Public Build to benfit from the script, and as it is .dse it will check that the version running it is no older than the version it was saved from.

That is correct, script was created with Public Build version 4.16.1.40.

I'll correct the post title to avoid confusion.

• jag11 said:

Small script to fix the ghost lights. This script enables the advanced Iray properties including the "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" property.

Save this script "IrayGhostLightFix.dse" in your Content Library/Scripts.

In order to run you need first to select the "Emissive" nodes you want to apply this fix.

HTH.

And where is the script?

• How do we decrypt the file?

vagur19 said:

jag11 said:

Save this script "IrayGhostLightFix.dse" in your Content Library/Scripts.

In order to run you need first to select the "Emissive" nodes you want to apply this fix.

HTH.

And where is the script?

It is on the original post, at the very top.

robert_39c8d9ed02 said:

How do we decrypt the file?

It is a user facing file, it is not meant to be decrypted. 

• I see. I asked because it didn't work for me, guess I'm doing something wrong.

robert_39c8d9ed02 said:

I see. I asked because it didn't work for me, guess I'm doing something wrong.

Check your DS version, also check log file for any messages Help|Troubleshooting|View Log File ...

• I live in hope, but will there be an actual fix so ghost lights will work? I used the script, it says it worked in the log file, but everything is still dark in the scene. I`m a bit frustrated because I use ghost lights a lot, and this is stopping me from actually doing anything at the moment. Maybe I`m just thick and did`nt use the script properly the first time, I have no idea.

• jag11 said:

robert_39c8d9ed02 said:

Check your DS version, also check log file for any messages Help|Troubleshooting|View Log File ...

I just updated my DS this morning to 4.20, ghost lights are not working, even after using the script. Log file says it worked, but my scene does`nt show them. Maybe I`m just stupid.

• PaulaDegg said:

jag11 said:

robert_39c8d9ed02 said:

I just updated my DS this morning to 4.20, ghost lights are not working, even after using the script. Log file says it worked, but my scene does`nt show them. Maybe I`m just stupid.

Same issue. Script does nothing for 4.20.

PaulaDegg said:

jag11 said:

robert_39c8d9ed02 said:

Don't say that. I'll check it and will post a fix in case of a problem.

I've just installed 4.20 final release.

• Aldor64Aldor64 Posts: 37
    edited February 2022
     I'll check it and will post a fix in case of a problem.

Thank you very much for your effort! I am (as many) others looking forward to the fix! 

Post edited by Aldor64 on

Aldor64 said:

I'll check it and will post a fix in case of a problem.

Thank you very much for your effort! I am (as many) others looking forward to the fix! 

+1yeslaugh

• jag11 said:

PaulaDegg said:

jag11 said:

robert_39c8d9ed02 said:

Don't say that. I'll check it and will post a fix in case of a problem.

Thank you!  I tried the script this morning and no luck. 

I've updated the script. There's a download link at the original post.

Cheers.

jag11 said:

Cheers.

thanks a lot  again !!!yes

• I think i found a easy work around to make Ghost Light mod work. All i did was apply the light shader to the surfaces tab first rather then last. Then i applied the utilities last rather then first and the prop emited light with the source not visible as it did prior to 4.20.

• jag11 said:

Cheers.

I got a bit further along, I managed to execute the script, got the little window pop up and it had found the ghost light, I clicked on the apply button, but it did`nt do anything, sorry  frown

• DresdenskinDresdenskin Posts: 56
    edited February 2022

It seems that the script does not affect anything related to the Surfaces tab. It adds two parameters to the "Display" section of the Parameters tab for the objects it is applied to. 

These parameters are "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays".

To enable an object to become a true Ghost Light, the "Enable Iray Matte" parameter needs to be ON, and the "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" needs to be OFF. This makes the object invisible in the render, but still emits its light. If you turn off the "Enable Iray Matte" option, the object remains invisible, but will still be visible in reflections. Turning ON the "Iray Visisble to Primary Rays" option makes the object visible in the scene. 

EDIT: One additional note: The script detects objects in the scene that have light-emitting surfaces. i.e. any objects that have a surface or surfaces where the Emission Color parameter is set to any color with a Red, Blue or Green value of 15 or higher (or =>0.0020 on the color bar).

EDIT2: I've noticed that, despite the Iray Matte being ON and the Primary Rays OFF, the emissive object is still visible in reflections as a black matt object if there is also an environmental light (or HDR) in effect which, to me, means it is not a true ghost light.  

Screenshot 2022-02-19 010631.png
    1377 x 925 - 566K
    Post edited by Dresdenskin on
    edited February 2022

PaulaDegg said:

jag11 said:

Cheers.

I got a bit further along, I managed to execute the script, got the little window pop up and it had found the ghost light, I clicked on the apply button, but it did`nt do anything, sorry  frown

Make sure Iray is not rendering in the Viewport before executing script or Iray won't notice the fix.

After executing the script check your Parameters tab, you'll find two new properties "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" under path "Display/Rendering/Iray".

The property "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" controls light geometry visibility On = light geometry visible, Off = light geometry not visible.

HTH

parameters_sc1.png
    322 x 316 - 17K
    Post edited by jag11 on

EDIT2: I've noticed that, despite the Iray Matte being ON and the Primary Rays OFF, the emissive object is still visible in reflections as a black matt object if there is also an environmental light (or HDR) in effect which, to me, means it is not a true ghost light.  

What I do for cases like that is change Scale so small that no light geometry is perceived in renders.