DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Usually smoothing is added after the cloth sim is frozen. It helps clean up some of the really bad foldbacks that the dynamic cloth sim seems to generate, as well as helps with pokethrough in areas where the cloth sim's collision failed to adequately stay away from the underlying figure. When you freeze the sim, it turns the cloth into a static prop mesh and all the dynamics aspect is gone; it's a one-way activity with no undo.

I've been getting some good results (but not always) adding the smoothing even without freezing the simulation. Maybe I need to remove the modifiers before saving the scene? I will play more with this...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...performed a test render with Garibaldi Hair (eyebrows) and the render stalled at 99% Clicked "cancel" but even after the render window and dialogue pane cleared it was still running. Closed the application then went into Windows Task Manager and the application was still active (as well as growing in memory usage) in the processes tab.

The scene was a simple portrait, Genesis set up as a child, MPC with a photo paper backdrop, standard Daz Light set (non UE), and no shadows. A previous render using Lantios 2 cancelled with no issue (changed the lightset to save rendering time for the tests). The eyebrows had only 260 hairs. 3,000 verticies.

Looks similar to what occurred with the old memory leaks that plagued 2.0 - 3Advanced.

Sounds as if there was a very intense bucket - cancel won't have an effect until all the current buckets are done (which is why I keep the bucket size small).

• Member_257874Member_257874 Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Cool thanks for that great software!

However I have to report a problem with the installation:
    I have my content on an external HD and to install DAZ I plugged the disk in. While the installation was going on, I got an error from the Installer when it tried to write icudt30.dll. So I went into the folder with windows explorer and tried to delete the dll manually. It told me that I can not delete it because ContentManagerService was accessing it. It was running in background since I plugged in my HD with the DAZ folder and it was scanning it (or what ever it does there). I was also not able to close it in taskman (got permission denied), even unplugging my disk didn't help. I had to kill it roughly with starting cmd.exe as administrator, getting the service's PID and killing it with taskkill /f
    Just in case, someone else runs into problems. Maybe there should be a way to close all DAZ services before installing.

Greetings

Post edited by Member_257874 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited May 2013

...never seen this happen since the 2.0 days. Been rendering with a bucket size of 16 with no trouble. The hairs at that point were also fairly sparse (near the centre of the forehead), so don't know why it would be so complex at that point.

The odd thing was even though I had completely shut the application down to the desktop from the File menu, in the Task Manager Processes and Performance tab, it continued to run chewing up more and more memory as I watched.

I've cancelled other renders in both 4.5 and the 4.6 beta, and everything cleared immediately with memory and CPU load dropping immediately afterwards. I would think instead of the app. closing after clicking on "Exit" on the "File" menu it would have kicked up a Windows "Not Responding" message as well as still show up in the TM applications tab.

Just looked and behaved very similar to the old memory leak issue in 2.x

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Member_257874Member_257874 Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

Is there a way to get V4 shoes correctly transformed to Genesis? I always have problems, especially with heels: The shoes become crippled (distorted) and the toes of the shoes are bend upwards letting the figure's toes poke thru (they are unbend).

Edit: Oh, just noticed it's not a 4.6 problem, it happens with 4.5 too, so maybe this needs to be moved into another thread.

Post edited by Member_257874 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited May 2013

...Autofit and footwear (particularly Gen 4 footwear because of the "crucifix" position of the feet when the figure loads in) has been hit and miss since day one. I've been able to fit a few more things using Sickle Yield's Rigging and Morphing utility, but some shoe styles still defy conversion. I've converted Gen3 footwear with a bit more success as Gen3 figures loaded in flat footed like Genesis.

Another issue with older generation footwear is posing. I once fit the V4 sport shoes with rollerblades to Genesis but when I posed the character, the blades and wheels distorted badly. The same occurred with the Geta from Immortal Ronin as the TriAx weight mapping seems to treat all parts of a shoe as a "soft" rather than rigid object.

I've also noticed on occasion some .trx clothing content for Genesis conforming "too" tightly. For example in one scene, the Breezy Wear top follows all the contours of the character's upper body so closely, it appears to have a "sprayed on" look. Tried to fix this by adjusting smoothing and collision iterations with no success.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

The G leading the tab items throws me and bugs me at the same time. I'm trying to train my brain to ignore the leading G, but no luck so for and for some reason, it causing me to have a hard time finding what I'm looking for.

• KayonnKayonn Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

It took away Genesis and all of the starter content I've had since DAZ 4! Not cool!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It took away Genesis and all of the starter content I've had since DAZ 4! Not cool!

Since 4.5 the application and the content have been in separate installers. Genesis Starter Essentials has the content that came with 4.0

edited December 1969

Oh, thank you so much!

edited December 1969

How do I install Genesis Starter Essentials? It just comes in a .zip, and when I extract it and try to open the figure in DS4.6, best-case scenario I get a block figure. Help!

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

The G leading the tab items throws me and bugs me at the same time. I'm trying to train my brain to ignore the leading G, but no luck so for and for some reason, it causing me to have a hard time finding what I'm looking for.

You're not alone. I'm really hoping there's some way to get rid of that thing, but I haven't found one yet.
  • edited December 1969

Is anyone else having problems with rendering in studio 4.6 while using UberEnvironment2? Everytime I have tried 3Dlite crashes taking the whole program down. I have tried it on both Win7 64 and Win8 64. I can go back to 4.5 and it works fine. I did file a bug report back when it was beta.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

It's almost impossible to download new version of DS 4.6. So far I managed to download successfully only IM zip archive of Genesis Essentials and several plug-ins. The rest of files never reached even 50% of specified file size. Other download hosts behave normally. My mean download speed is 90-92 Mbit, but from DAZ3D it is 10-20 Kb/s now. Used to be faster, up to 800-900 Kb/s.

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

It took about an hour and a half just to download DS 4.6 for me. That is really slow, and I think unacceptable. The Genesis Starter Essentials is about three times the size of the app itself and I plan to use the DIM to get the update. My problem is that even with the DIM I am seeing slow download times for large files.

I am also due to update the DIM as well, but for some reason when I tried to update the first time, the website could not be accessed. Any thoughts concerning this?

I would like to know if I need to download all the other included products as well to update them? I have already downloaded the SSS Base, but the PhotoShop Bridge Plug-in, the Content Creator Toolkit, the Texture Atlas, and so on are showing in my DIM.

Something else I am concerned about is some news that came to me at another site I am a member of. Supposedly, there is a virus that has attached itself to the DS 4.6 download. What I would like to know is whether this is true, or is it a false positive returned to the user by their own protection software? Mine has not alerted me to any such thing as of yet, but I am holding off the installation of the new build until I get some good answers. If no answers are forthcoming, I will scan the downloaded file to see if it is OK or not. I do understand that for some apps you must tell your protection software to allow it to run and/or install.

edited December 1969

It took about an hour and a half just to download DS 4.6 for me. That is really slow, and I think unacceptable. The Genesis Starter Essentials is about three times the size of the app itself and I plan to use the DIM to get the update. My problem is that even with the DIM I am seeing slow download times for large files.

I am also due to update the DIM as well, but for some reason when I tried to update the first time, the website could not be accessed. Any thoughts concerning this?

I would like to know if I need to download all the other included products as well to update them? I have already downloaded the SSS Base, but the PhotoShop Bridge Plug-in, the Content Creator Toolkit, the Texture Atlas, and so on are showing in my DIM.

Something else I am concerned about is some news that came to me at another site I am a member of. Supposedly, there is a virus that has attached itself to the DS 4.6 download. What I would like to know is whether this is true, or is it a false positive returned to the user by their own protection software? Mine has not alerted me to any such thing as of yet, but I am holding off the installation of the new build until I get some good answers. If no answers are forthcoming, I will scan the downloaded file to see if it is OK or not. I do understand that for some apps you must tell your protection software to allow it to run and/or install.

DAZ 3D is seeing its highest traffic in years -- they've done some optimization but they're still a good bit over the rated capacity of their firewall, so download speeds are very slow.

I sometimes get the "unable to download" message on DIM updates -- if I close and restart DIM it works.

SSS Base is the only new thing -- the previous versions of the bridges, decimator, will still work, as will the old GSE. CCT and Texture Atlas are built into DS 4.6, so you don't need to download them.

The usual "reputation" based false positives -- I haven't heard of any AV's tagging DS4.6 for legitimate reasons.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I still don't understand why DAZ is getting hammered by downloads when their CDN provider should be absorbing it...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

SSS Base is the only new thing -- the previous versions of the bridges, decimator, will still work, as will the old GSE. CCT and Texture Atlas are built into DS 4.6, so you don't need to download them.

As I've just discovered, there's also a new version of the Dynamic Control to match 4.6 — I got weird behaviour out of the old version, before I got and installed the updates an hour ago.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited May 2013

mindphuk said:
    Maybe there should be a way to close all DAZ services before installing.

There is a way to stop the Content Management Service, and (if you are running Windows) you can find it in Windows Start button > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Stop DAZ Content Management Service.
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • edited May 2013

I just got the Daz 4.6 64bit downloaded, and it will not install. Not only that, but now my 4.5 will not open. I'm attaching a picture of the error, and I have to admit, it is the strangest error I have ever seen on my PC.

System:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    RAM: 8G
    Graphics: NVidea GeForce GTX 260

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ==========EDIT============================
    leaving this here in case anyone else runs across this.
    I had to uninstall 4.5 before I could install 4.6
    I have no idea why.

dazerror.jpg
    533 x 174 - 18K
    Post edited by loserincstargategeek_efb6d0c776 on
    edited December 1969

loserinc said:
    I just got the Daz 4.6 64bit downloaded, and it will not install. Not only that, but now my 4.5 will not open. I'm attaching a picture of the error, and I have to admit, it is the strangest error I have ever seen on my PC.

System:

I have no idea why.

So have you finally been able to get it installed? I'm wondering about that weird error message. I cannot think what it might mean. One thing that caught my eye concerning the message is "Child Killed."
    ???
    edited December 1969

loserinc said:

System:

I have no idea why.

So have you finally been able to get it installed? I'm wondering about that weird error message. I cannot think what it might mean. One thing that caught my eye concerning the message is "Child Killed."
    ???

Normally that means either the 32-bit version of the VC++ libraries is missing (which doesn't make sense here) or that a security program is blocking something -- perhaps the antivirus program blocked the installer from uninstalling 4.5, so it had to be uninstalled manually?

edited December 1969

loserinc said:

System:

I have no idea why.

???

Normally that means either the 32-bit version of the VC++ libraries is missing (which doesn't make sense here) or that a security program is blocking something -- perhaps the antivirus program blocked the installer from uninstalling 4.5, so it had to be uninstalled manually?
    So why would it be worded in such a macabre way? Surely better wording can be used!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

So why would it be worded in such a macabre way? Surely better wording can be used!

It's a case of clashing techspeak — some kinds of program subroutine are called a "child process", and in some kinds of crash the program is referred to as "killed".
  • CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

alanbard said:
    refsocrd1 said:
    alanbard said:
    the install went smoothly....
    But I am having an issue with the cursor disappearing... only in Daz. slide it into another window and it is there.
    I am using multiple monitors but that doesn't seem to bother photo shop and others.

I've had that issue off and on since 4.0, usually minimizing and bringing it back up works for me, otherwise save(ctrl+S, or ctrl+shft+s) what i'm working on and close it out.
    Hasn't mattered what i'm doing or what system i'm on or O.S.

will try the minimizing trick, doing a render would bring it back occasionally.
    Guess I've been lucky, it hasn't happened up till now.
    The one other thing that has changed is I started used Infinto for terrains... will have to watch for a one to one comparison on that. It was installed a while back, but just started using it.

I'm having the cursor disappear with DS4.6 too. What a pain. I'm on Mac OS 10.8.3.

• edited December 1969

???

Yes, I got it installed finally. I just had to uninstall 4.5 first. I have no idea why the 4.6 installer wouldn't just uninstall 4.5 then install itself. I've never run into anything like that. That message is definitely strange though lol, and I thought the internet was made of cats....

• edited December 1969

I get the child killed message also

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

loserinc said:
    That message is definitely strange though

One process running on your computer may need to start running additional processes. To be able to identify which is which, programmers refer to the first process as the "parent" and any additional processes the parent process starts are referred to as "child" processes, since they were created by the parent process.
    "killing" a process means it's operation was terminated or ended. For example you say you went into the Windows Task Manager and killed a process that's not responding and won't exit by itself.
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

mindphuk said:
    Maybe there should be a way to close all DAZ services before installing.

There is a way to stop the Content Management Service, and (if you are running Windows) you can find it in Windows Start button > All Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Stop DAZ Content Management Service.The Installer does that for you. (Just make sure DAZ Studio has exited before starting the installers.
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Well, the new database version for the CMS doesn't seem any better. Within a week of installing 4.6, I've already had the CMS process crash and Studio doing its usual goofy things that happen when the CMS is down (e.g., no auto Fit-To when loading clothing with a figure selected, etc.)

My install process was:

Uninstall GSE, Uninstall DS4.5, Uninstall CMS
    Delete ProgramData\DAZ3D\C..M..S..\database\* (I don't customize anything since I end up having to rebuild it at least once a month anyway)
    Install DS4.6
    Install GSE
    Use re-import metadata to re-load the CMS database

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, FWIW.