DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• edited December 1969

XiMiX said:

Yes, it creates files in Runtime/Support starting with UserData (UserData_1.dsx, etc.) They are plain-text files so you can back them up whether CMS is running or not.

Thanks again for all your help and patience.

RESULTS: Well, it kind of worked. When all was said and done all but two of my shader categories were missing and a bunch of content was listed under the "Uncategorized" default category. So I still have some tedium ahead of me but not nearly half as bad as I thought it was going to be. Funny though, the only shaders that showed up were the ones that only work in Poser.

Let me ask you, what does everyone else use as far as content management is concerned do the majority of you stick with folder trees? I am lead to understand that smart content has not been all that well received. I would use it if there were a user-friendly way to customize the way it associates with other content, but alas I do not understand it as of right now.

For me i actually start my organization outside daz studio at the folder level.
    Starting with a parent directory i break it down like this:
    Animation
    Animals(i'm going to redo this one as it's gotten a bit ungainly)
    Clothes
    EFX
    genesis
    Hair
    Monsters
    Props
    Sets
    Weapons
    Vehicles
    Shaders and mats
    Custom characters(this is for finals, as i use a desktop folder for working)

Then within daz i break it down a lot further. organizing by character type(genesis, Vic4, M4 a3 etc).
    Further breaking it down depending on what it is.
    This is what works for me, but it's a lot of work if you've got a lot of content and haven't done any organization for a while.
    Mostly you'll have to find what works for you.
    Micromanagement isn't for everyone, and if the CMS breaks, it's a lot of work to redo.
    Back up the Databases, and make a new userdata file at least once a month(personally once a week at least)

Smart content is a great concept, i like the idea i like the ease.
    But it's still a folder tree, just the presentation is different.
    Since i have a lot of non-genesis content,and stuff from other sites, that doesn't have meta-data included, it got useless pretty quick.
    So now, either i make my own(couple hours per item last time i tried) or i'm out of luck.
    I don't even have the tab available any more in my layout.

If some poor souls with a lot of time on their hands could start creating meta-data files for older content, i think it would take off a bit more. Some one on share cg started that, but only a few files were ever done.
    With the volume of older v4/v3 content still available, i don't think smart content is going to become the tool of choice for most of us any time soon.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited May 2013

Lets try this again and see if it gets deleted this time!

You can still do that. The database is to address the number one and number 2 customer complaints from DS 2.3. Where is my content? And How do I know what content works with what figure?

ROFLMFAO, the database WAS the bloody reason for all of those "where's my content" complaint threads, you made the database system the default view in the content library, so any new user was left looking at a blank database. I can't speak for the moderators, but I know I was sick & fed up of telling people how to change things in the content library, and it's not like you didn't know about it, we complained about it often enough, but as usual you lot just turned a deaf ear to the complaints.

...I actually don't use smart content as I have no issue finding things in my runtimes and would even ditch the CMS altogether but I have noticed that some new content (particularly some of the shaders) is apparently dependent on it running.

AFAIK there are only two things you really need the CMS for, first is saving content as it's the only way to get at the Content Type to make sure you get the right code added to the DUF file. The second is for conformers, if they were poorly saved (ie the starter essentials) then you need the CMS to get them to auto-conform to Genesis on loading, otherwise it's drag & drop or manually conforming them, or in my case edit them to add the correct code into the files.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581
    edited December 1969

refsocrd1 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...sometimes i miss the old 2.3 days. No messing with all this database management rubbish.

Just install your content, fire up Daz Studio, and start making art.

Why did it have to become so complicated?

Because of all the complaints about the Runtime folder structure, and about DS and Poser format files being in different places.

There's actually a structure to runtime folders?
    Somebody needs to tell content creators that.
    (i'm being sarcastic here people).

Personally i find the general layout of the runtime folder a bit mucked up, and no real standardization of where stuff should go.
    Such as a Hair can wind up in figures, hair or props.
    Sets going in Figures or props.
    Materials wind up in shader presets, shaders, materials or pose(who came up with that last one?).
    Poses and materials mixed together.
    With cms, create a category (shirts, pants, poses, skins etc) and group all the mats/cams/lights/props
    Subdivide as needed.
    You can rename the reference, without messing with the base file name(we won't go into how many files I couldn't find/broke after doing that)

I haven't seen much difference in performance(except mine) with or without the cms on. Just something new and after messing with a copy of v3 and poser and carrara(i love 8.5), i've come to appreciate it.
    Not having to try to remember the name of a material folder for a certain item, or having to try to make sense of the content creators layout, or having to spend time renaming a ton of stuff, or editing cr2/pz2 etc files is a blessing.

To each there own though.
    As long as the software works, and i can figure out where stuff is, it's all good.

...as long as one doesn't mess with the Data, Geometries, and Textures Folders runtimes can be organised however one wishes. I like to use character name for all things character related (eg Aiko, Kids, etc.) and just build a tree structure off that. Props and MAT files for clothing and hair content are listed off the item itself (similar to how the Library organises all ..trx Genesis content), Other props are categorised by type, like vehicles furniture, scenes, general,etc.. Folders can be renamed however one likes, such as changing a creator's name to the actual content name.

Once set up there is little one has to deal with save for when new content is installed. There is no "resetting" "exporting" "backing up" or "reloading" of databases. As long as the runtime folder is properly mapped, 4.6 will find it. I also have Poser Pro 2012 as well as Carrara (both which work off the Poser runtime) so I need it to be accessible to those applications as well.

I've used the tree structure since ver. 1.7 and once I learned I could reorganise the Poser /Daz runtime structures as I wished, I've experienced little trouble with it. I see this as a "low maintenance" solution in comparison to all the trials and tribulations I have been reading here concerning the CMS database.

As I also used to programme in the days long before all this object oriented stuff (in what are now dead or proprietary languages), I find "top down" data structures (like directory trees) to still be the most efficient means of organisation.

...but than again, whatever floats your punt.

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I actually don't use smart content as I have no issue finding things in my runtimes and would even ditch the CMS altogether but I have noticed that some new content (particularly some of the shaders) is apparently dependent on it running.

AFAIK there are only two things you really need the CMS for, first is saving content as it's the only way to get at the Content Type to make sure you get the right code added to the DUF file. The second is for conformers, if they were poorly saved (ie the starter essentials) then you need the CMS to get them to auto-conform to Genesis on loading, otherwise it's drag & drop or manually conforming them, or in my case edit them to add the correct code into the files.
    ...anything specifically Genesis related I just let install to the Library so as not to muck anything up. The 4.6 Library is actually fairly well organised (interestingly similar in some ways to how I set up my Poser runtime), and still small enough it isn't a pain to get around in manually.

Smart Content misses some of my older content (which didn't have a Metadata installer) as well as any non Daz content (like anything purchased from Rendo, RDNA, or PoserDirect) and of course non-Daz freebies. I'm not about to go back and re-download nearly five years of content installers just to get the metadata for the CMS and I'm certainly not going to waste a lot of time (that is better spent creating pics) hacking the database to include these.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    The 4.6 Library is actually fairly well organised (interestingly similar in some ways to how I set up my Poser runtime), and still small enough it isn't a pain to get around in manually.

Mostly fairly well organised; it still happens now and then, and there are other examples, but in the beginning there was a major problem with not finding props that went with clothes sets, because they'd been split off from the entire rest of the product in a separate /props/ folder. Or maybe a /people/genesis/props/ folder. It's all needlessly confusing; we're not having to work within the old Poser Runtime restrictions any more.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Smart Content misses some of my older content (which didn't have a Metadata installer) as well as any non Daz content (like anything purchased from Rendo, RDNA, or PoserDirect) and of course non-Daz freebies. I'm not about to go back and re-download nearly five years of content installers just to get the metadata for the CMS and I'm certainly not going to waste a lot of time (that is better spent creating pics) hacking the database to include these.
    And most older content still does not have Metadata so that would be futile anyway. And I have a LARGE pre-Metadata collection of content. I prefer the catagory just for that reason. Of course that does require the CMS to run and keeping a backup of your Updates as you go. Just in case the database gets corrupted.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

If you use DIM it will cut your time nearly in half. Once downloaded from DIM you will automatically get an update if the add metadata to an older pack.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If you use DIM it will cut your time nearly in half. Once downloaded from DIM you will automatically get an update if the add metadata to an older pack.

I love DIM and will continue to use it to download and as a reference. But I've wasted a year now between moving to Studio 4-4.5-4.6 and Genesis, the new store, the new forums, and re-downing 2/3rds of my files. All this time I could have used to organize all the new files I've purchased in the past year, instead I've been hemming and hawing whether to turn my life over to Smart Content or continue my 'old' ways of organization. A year of time means much more when you're almost 70 believe me.

So I'm a year behind on organization (I used to spend a few hours a week on it) and had to decide between categorizing everything for Smart Content, or gathering all library files per product into one folder and placing that folder in an existing structure that has worked for me for years. But I'd have to give up the easy install of updates to do that. No brainer. How many updates do we get anyway. With zip files it's barely more time consuming to pull files out of the zip and place. But it takes extra time and attention to maintain/backup the CMS.

Either way I have a daunting job ahead of me with well over 6000 DAZ files and ::mumble:: from elsewhere I haven't installed yet. But using Smart Content with Genesis stuff has shown me it's not worth it and I gave it a shot. I went with the flow.

If you're fairly new at this, CMS and Smart Content can work fine because you're starting from the beginning. But if you've been around a while and have tons of content, it seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I started out organizing by moving folders around on-disk. When Categories were introduced in DS2 I imported my existing folders, so it duplicated the structure I had been using previously. I found Categories to be much more flexible and quicker to do than moving the disk files around, but I kept doing the disk files anyway so that if there was a problem with the database I could recreate it easily from the folder structure (and in the early days this happened a lot).

By DS2.3 and DS3 the database was much more reliable, so I stopped moving files around and stuck to the database for organizing. When DS4 came out, since there was new database software involved, I did all my organizing in DS3 and then imported the database into DS4, so that if there were problems I'd have a backup. By 4.0.3 I found the database was pretty reliable and stopped using the DS3 database as a backup. I continued to backup the database regularly, of course. When 4.5 introduced the Export User Data option I switched to using that as my primary backup method -- I still backed up the database files regularly, but having a plain text backup was much more reassuring.

At the same time, starting with 4.0 I began moving my files on disk back to default locations as they were updated with metadata, although I still use my own categories more than Smart Content. I categorize everything my own way, although I leave the default categories as well. I continued moving my disk files back as they became available in DIM, and now nearly all of my DAZ-bought content is back in default file locations.

• edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    refsocrd1 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...sometimes i miss the old 2.3 days. No messing with all this database management rubbish.

Just install your content, fire up Daz Studio, and start making art.

Why did it have to become so complicated?

Because of all the complaints about the Runtime folder structure, and about DS and Poser format files being in different places.

There's actually a structure to runtime folders?
    Somebody needs to tell content creators that.
    (i'm being sarcastic here people).

Personally i find the general layout of the runtime folder a bit mucked up, and no real standardization of where stuff should go.
    Such as a Hair can wind up in figures, hair or props.
    Sets going in Figures or props.
    Materials wind up in shader presets, shaders, materials or pose(who came up with that last one?).
    Poses and materials mixed together.
    With cms, create a category (shirts, pants, poses, skins etc) and group all the mats/cams/lights/props
    Subdivide as needed.
    You can rename the reference, without messing with the base file name(we won't go into how many files I couldn't find/broke after doing that)

I haven't seen much difference in performance(except mine) with or without the cms on. Just something new and after messing with a copy of v3 and poser and carrara(i love 8.5), i've come to appreciate it.
    Not having to try to remember the name of a material folder for a certain item, or having to try to make sense of the content creators layout, or having to spend time renaming a ton of stuff, or editing cr2/pz2 etc files is a blessing.

To each there own though.
    As long as the software works, and i can figure out where stuff is, it's all good.

...as long as one doesn't mess with the Data, Geometries, and Textures Folders runtimes can be organised however one wishes. I like to use character name for all things character related (eg Aiko, Kids, etc.) and just build a tree structure off that. Props and MAT files for clothing and hair content are listed off the item itself (similar to how the Library organises all ..trx Genesis content), Other props are categorised by type, like vehicles furniture, scenes, general,etc.. Folders can be renamed however one likes, such as changing a creator's name to the actual content name.

Once set up there is little one has to deal with save for when new content is installed. There is no "resetting" "exporting" "backing up" or "reloading" of databases. As long as the runtime folder is properly mapped, 4.6 will find it. I also have Poser Pro 2012 as well as Carrara (both which work off the Poser runtime) so I need it to be accessible to those applications as well.

I've used the tree structure since ver. 1.7 and once I learned I could reorganise the Poser /Daz runtime structures as I wished, I've experienced little trouble with it. I see this as a "low maintenance" solution in comparison to all the trials and tribulations I have been reading here concerning the CMS database.

As I also used to programme in the days long before all this object oriented stuff (in what are now dead or proprietary languages), I find "top down" data structures (like directory trees) to still be the most efficient means of organisation.

...but than again, whatever floats your punt.

Please don't mention COBOL or PASCAL, i still have nightmares.

I do start with external organization, parent directory, and then subdivided into various base categories(animals, monsters clothes etc).
    But that's about it on external. the rest is internal.
    I've been a bit intimidated by messing with the actual runtime structure, since i'm still a relative noob.
    I like the idea of reorganizing the runtimes to make "sense" the few times i've tried that though, I usually break a link somewhere, and pushing a TB of data i'm not looking forward to reorganizing it in there.
    It needs it though since some content goes all over the place in the runtimes, and a couple of base characters are a bit mucked up(v4 not loading any add ons, for instance).
    May give it a whirl as time permits(since the server is back online).
    I just wonder how bad my scene files are going to break doing that.
    When i went from 4.0 to 4.5, and restructured from just 'my library' to my current style i had to rebuild a ton of scenes(thank goodness for spreadsheets).

Yippie a new way to break my computer. :roll:
    on second thought, i think the laptop and an external drive would be more appropriate for now.
    gotta love test beds.

• edited December 1969

Someone at DAZ needs a good hard spanking over this CMS/4.6 issue, but since I can't do that, here's at least a piece of my mind.

DAZ has GOT to stop assuming its customers know how to fix and patch their own software when it doesn't work as advertized! They are marketing to computer amateurs and and rookie artists like me, not engineers and bona fide computer geeks!

Can't DAZ engineers make an installer that just installs the next, best version without us non-experts having to learn the hard way how to fix software that doesn't work the way it's supposed to work? How am I as an educated person (just not educated in how software works) supposed to even understand half of the advice I'm given concerning how to get DS & CMS talking to each other, especially when the simpler answers don't seem to work, but that's all anyone seems to have to offer? How do I know where the "database file" is, or what to do if it's corrupt? I thought CMS was supposed to take care of that stuff for me! I thought uninstalling CMS was supposed to remove stuff like that so a new database could be created! It seems this problem was so widespread, at least among us non-expert customers, that all anyone had time for were useless, simplistic suggestions.

To all you DAZ computer gurus: If you think YOU get tired of repeating your poor selves, imagine being a customer with the following to say every time you have contact with someone at DAZ - that is if you can keep their attention long enough to get past point one or two:

1. No, my CMS is not running when DS is running.
    2. No, uninstalling CMS and then reinstalling DS did nothing to fix the problem, not even after you go away all proud of yourself for having helped another customer whom you never heard from (or noticed) again.
    3. Yes, I used all the setup defaults, as I always have, and no, that didn't help.
    4. No, resetting the database didn't help. (See #1 above.)
    5. No, re-importing metadata didn't do anything. Nothing was imported. (Again, see #1 above. Were you listening when I mentioned that?)
    6. No, repetition of ineffective advice does not make it effective.
    7. No, my problem (on my Win7 64 machine) was not fixed by learning how to make exceptions in the firewall and then telling my machine it was specifically ok for my DAZ stuff to have access to anything.
    8. No, telling me that (fill in the blank) shouldn't have caused the result that it did is not at all helpful. Actually it's quite unhelpful, and it tells the customer that you're not taking them seriously and that you're not interested in looking beyond your own nose to find meaningful solutions.

Am I missing any of the "simple" answers anyone here got tired of repeating? I finally got DS working on my Win7 machine by learning what the UAC is, and then disabling it completely. After doing that and rebooting, DS would finally start up instead of hanging because apparently it was able to talk to CMS. Only then did resetting the database and re-importing the metadata work, even though the UAC isn't supposed to have anything to do with what was happening, even though I found out for myself that when I tried to start CMS by itself it was going into a holding pattern waiting for me to give Windows the ok to let it "make changes" to my computer. (And yes, my UAC settings were left on the default setting from my recent Windows installation.)

Do you DAZ techies know how thrilled I've been having to learn all this esoteric computer stuff just to get my DS functioning again? And I mean functioning at all - not just getting my Smart Content back, or any of the other CMS functions like content search or categories.

And now it's started all over again with my slower-but-rock-solid XP machine.

So many thanks to those who have at least tried to help us non-computer experts, but those experts among you who work for DAZ can save your condescending attitudes toward us ignorant masses and try not to be so proud of your simplistic solutions that actually aren't the correct solutions from time to time. Don't just give your simple solutions and then disappear! Try working the problems out with us, your target market! A lot of us have followed your advice, and there are still plenty of us who don't have DS working yet. We're not stupid - we're just not that experienced with fixing software that's not working as advertized, and this is not what DAZ advertized when it announced its wonderful new release of 4.6! You wouldn't expect to have to replace the speakers in a brand new stereo would you? Not even if they were the latest and greatest design with all the cutting edge technology! You'd expect them to work! Why is this even remotely excusable when the product is software? It's not as if there is more engineering involved - there's not.

I'm not a computer expert, just a customer from the demographic DAZ has been going after hard for market share, and until now doing very well, and I can't tell you how disappointed I am right now.

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

ChiMakwa said:
    Someone at DAZ needs a good hard spanking over this CMS/4.6 issue, but since I can't do that, here's at least a piece of my mind.

DAZ has GOT to stop assuming its customers know how to fix and patch their own software when it doesn't work as advertized! They are marketing to computer amateurs and and rookie artists like me, not engineers and bona fide computer geeks!

One would think after 25 pages with active involvement from a DAZ representative they would get the message.

The software before had no database plugin and if one wanted that feature they had to buy a 3rd party plugin, I think show should go back to that instead of hurling this nightmare on the unfortunate. I never use smart content so it wouldn't bother me if they drooped it all together.

When you have a feature or plugin that is tied to an internet port reporting to and from the App seems like a method of spying anyway on how much content is on the target machine while sorting meta data and only benefits the software company not the User. A database is a great idea but let's all admit the way CMS is implemented is a general failure in my opinion.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,920
    edited December 1969

The port is used purely for local communication - it's a standard technique for communicating between applications, especially if it is designed (as the CMS is) to be available to multiple applications at once. The Lightwave Hub works in a similar way as I recall, and also needs to be allowed by the firewall.

• edited December 1969

The port is used purely for local communication - it's a standard technique for communicating between applications, especially if it is designed (as the CMS is) to be available to multiple applications at once. The Lightwave Hub works in a similar way as I recall, and also needs to be allowed by the firewall.

What I understand of the firewall is that it limits access to and from a network, not within a single computer. Why would software intended to organize the data on my computer need to get outt onto a network, or doesn't it work like that? Why would DS and CMS need to get through a firewall to talk to each other when I don't have to be online to use either? Sure, DS has functions that occasionally take it to the Internet, but talking to the CMS on the same computer shouldn't take either program out onto a network, should it? And if it occasionally needs to do that, why would the entire system be rendered inoperative as far as doing functions right on my machine, on my own hard drives?

Stumpc, I respectfully disagree with you.
    DS has made it possible for amateurs like me to make neat stuff, like animated birthday cards, for family and friends. And if we're ambitious and persistent with our learning, we can actually make decent products for businesses. (Last year I made animated e-cards for the family, and this year I helped my sister out with her new small business, doing some graphics and logo work, and even work on the layout of her shop by first modeling it in DS and then animating a tour.)

DAZ markets DS toward those of us us with limited experience as a tool to easily learn 3D graphics and animation. IMO, a working CMS and Smart Content are important to smoothing out the front end of that learning curve and letting people like me in.

My big problem, which I won't rant about yet again (see above for that), is that there now seems to be a bug the size of Long Island in how CMS works with DS and Windows, and the only ones who seem able to get around this bug are people who really understand computers in a way that I sure don't. I never wanted to know this much about software. I'm tired of this attitude that this is a simple problem, because to an amateur like me, it's not simple, and I need help!

DAZ is marketing to us amateurs (and I think that's awesome!), but now that there's a real problem they seem to have forgotten about us. If you want to sell to the mass market (not just to the narrow professional sector), you have to anticipate the greater service needs of the average customer. Otherwise you need to compete with the big kids for the narrow professional sector with the admittedly deeper pockets and even greater service demands. But you've got a great thing going with this consumer-level software! DAZ has created its own amateur consumer market for 3D graphics software!

Here's an anecdote to illustrate the other end of the spectrum:
    The directors of my last research lab bought this incredibly simple 25 Mb target tracking software package to follow rats through mazes, and they paid a ludicrous $11,000 for it, but that included flying their chief software engineer for the project in from the Netherlands to Minnesota to provide maybe 2 hours of training for the two of us who would use the software. They will never sell more than a few hundred copies of that software worldwide, and it will only sustain them for a short while until some slightly more ambitious software designer comes along and makes a better, more flexible application. My lab tech, for example - the other guy who was trained along with me - is himself a software designer, and he told me he could have made a far more functional version of that particular application in one weekend, and he'd have been happy to sell it to us for a few hundred dollars. (He's currently working as a software engineer, making 2-3 times what we paid him.) Is that the market DAZ would rather go after?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ChiMakwa said:

What I understand of the firewall is that it limits access to and from a network, not within a single computer. Why would software intended to organize the data on my computer need to get outt onto a network, or doesn't it work like that? Why would DS and CMS need to get through a firewall to talk to each other when I don't have to be online to use either? Sure, DS has functions that occasionally take it to the Internet, but talking to the CMS on the same computer shouldn't take either program out onto a network, should it? And if it occasionally needs to do that, why would the entire system be rendered inoperative as far as doing functions right on my machine, on my own hard drives?

No, firewalls monitor any access through ports, even if they are local ports. A good firewall should allow rules to distinguish between local and non-local access. DS and CMS communicate through local ports even when there is no internet connection, if you want to try it.

• edited December 1969

ChiMakwa said:

No, firewalls monitor any access through ports, even if they are local ports. A good firewall should allow rules to distinguish between local and non-local access. DS and CMS communicate through local ports even when there is no internet connection, if you want to try it.

That is one of many things I've tried now that didn't help. Any word on this Valentina client and what I might do about letting it through my firewall? It's not showing up on my searches so I don't know how to to allow it through. I kinda doubt it'll help though, because I just tried it with my Windows firewall completely disabled.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Ignore the Valentina part, the average user doesn't have access to it as such. I checked on my XP computer and I don't have an exception for the CMS in my firewall, and it still works fine. The number one advice I gave before DS4.6 was to uninstall DS, then reboot, reinstall and make sure to select the checkmark to customize the CMS installation, and point it to a different folder]. But they removed the checkmark in DS4.6, :-S and I'm not sure if just reinstalling the CMS to a different folder in and of itself is sufficient to solve the issue, but it's worth a try.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    ... and make sure to select the checkmark to customize the CMS installation, and point it to a different folder]. But they removed the checkmark in DS4.6

FYI, you can still see the checkmark under certain circumstances; I see it when I install. Unfortunately I can't remember when you don't see it offhand (I wonder if it might be that you have to uninstall the content manager before reinstalling, which I always do, along with uninstalling DAZ Studio?)
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

FWIW, I've always seen the "customise CMS installation" checkbox when I update D|S4. The CMS has never worked on my system, but it's nice to always have the option... :smirk:

• edited May 2013

ReDave said:
    Ignore the Valentina part, the average user doesn't have access to it as such. I checked on my XP computer and I don't have an exception for the CMS in my firewall, and it still works fine. The number one advice I gave before DS4.6 was to uninstall DS, then reboot, reinstall and make sure to select the checkmark to customize the CMS installation, and point it to a different folder]. But they removed the checkmark in DS4.6, :-S and I'm not sure if just reinstalling the CMS to a different folder in and of itself is sufficient to solve the issue, but it's worth a try.

Thanks for the info & suggestion. I have now got everything working in my XP machine. After uninstalling CMS, there seemed to be several CMS-related folders left on my system. (BTW, I had pointed CMS to different locations with the 4.6 installer during my various re-installations. There was an option to customize CMS right after accepting the EULA, but nothing seemed to result from it until DS was almost completely done installing, at which point the installer asked where I wanted CMS and the CMS databases directories to be installed. As I had installed to different locations (and uninstalled each CMS installation before attempting to reinstall DS), and as the un-installation process seemed to have left data behind each time, it seemed I needed to go back manually and find the left-over (mostly empty) folders and delete them. Then, after rebooting, I reinstalled DS (for the 4th time), and was finally able to reset the database and re-import the metadata. Now everything seems to be working.

Something odd happened this time though. I once again have a CMS folder containing only an empty databases folder in my E:\Daz 3d\ folder, where I installed DS (and exactly where there had been an empty folder just like it before I manually deleted everything), and another CMS folder with all the data & subfolders in my C:\Program Files\DAZ 3d\ folder. I think I had selected the E: drive location for CMS in my most recent re-installation of DS, though I'm not sure. In any case, why that empty CMS folder should be there again is a complete mystery to me.

Post edited by swee0051_129ccb1f26 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

I uninstalled and reinstalled 4.6 and the CMS several times without success. I thank the people on the forum who generously devoted time to help try to troubleshoot. Unfortunately, 4.6 also messed with the ability of my Carrara smart content tab to work properly. I had put in a ticket with support but never got help. I finally just uninstalled 4.6 and reinstalled 4.5. Both Studio 4.5 and Carrara seem to be working fine now. I'll stick with that for a while. It makes more sense for DAZ to fix the install issue in a subsequent update than for a large group of us (judging by the number of threads) to keep messing with our systems, tracking down old installs to delete files, customizing the installs, etc.

Since for my purposes Daz Studio 4.5 was working fine, I don't see any need to stress over an upgrade that doesn't install properly when all of the default settings are accepted. I'm confident they'll get it worked out, and when they do I'll install 4.6.

edited May 2013

...had an interesting issue occur.

The other night I had just finished up doing some work on a scene. Saved, closed the app and shut down the workstation for the night. Suddenly had a blue screen (not the dreaded BSOD), appear which, as best as I could ascertain after going to the MS tech forums the next morning, had something to do with a driver that needed updating. Discovered there was an ASUS driver update available so I DL'd and installed it along with several MS/IE8 updates.

When I opened 4.6.0.18 for the first time after this was done, it somehow had reverted to the standard "Hollywood Blvd" UI layout. Never seen anything like this happen before and not sure what caused it. Furthermore, the scene file I was working on that evening had been corrupted and would not load. I tested several other files and they opened fine.

Very odd, and in the case of the one scene, rather disappointing as I had spent more than two days working on it and was nearly done.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited May 2013

I have trouble with 4.6.

When I use some of the custom morphs, daz 4.6 can quit. It seems less stable when I try custom morphs. Most particularly The old age morphs, and morphs for certain bodytypes.

Certain sets take longer to load. Stonemason's Winter terrain for example.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

...just saw something else I never noticed before. There is a "pin" function that appears when using one of the tools (universal, translation, rotation) and selecting certain items.

edited May 2013

...looks like there is another casualty from Monday night's incident: Automatic fitting to a selected figure (not Autofit) stopped working. Have to manually toggle it in now..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited May 2013

Severe bug in Daz Studio 4.6, and not sure what's causing it, but randomly when I load something, whether a light set or hair or something else... the scene goes completely unstable. The clothes will go anywhere, body parts go flying, and nothing is showing where it actually is and i can't select anything, the screen keeps jumping around and figures keep jumping back and forth. Just had this happen with Genesis M5... his hair went across the room, his position changed, the whites/cornea of his eyes went up in the air (his iris and pupil stayed in his eye sockets), his shirt went to the right several places, and i can't select any of them. TOTALLY ruined my scene. AUGH. It's the 3rd time its happened in the past 4 days and its really a serious issue as it renders the scene useless.

Dynamic things are sometimes going weird too... i freeze simulation and the UV changes to 'default" instead of the UV its supposed to have.

DS4.6 really is buggy.

edit again:

Just happened again! All i did was load a paper roll backdrop and genesis reverted to a prior pose. UNDOING the previous action (reflection map??? light? whatever it iss) sometimes fixed the issue.

It's a very very nasty bug in DS4.6 though and I think its the most unstable build i've used for a long time. More crashes than I can keep track of. :(

Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • edited December 1969

From reading in this thread, I seem to be the only one that have 'cleaned' my PC from DAZ, to install the new 4.6 version.

Now a question arises: Do I use my 'old' 4.5 pro registration key,
    or have I just been unlucky, not to receive
    my 4.6 reg. key?
    (it's not in my reg. key collection, on my account page)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,920
    edited December 1969

The same serial number works for all versions of DS4.x (except that the free serial won't work for very early builds).

• edited June 2013

From reading in this thread, I seem to be the only one that have 'cleaned' my PC from DAZ, to install the new 4.6 version

ANYONE DELETE the C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 files? I.m cleaning out all DAZ products AND Poser files, even downloaded the 4.6 new installer instead of the upgrade.
    Now, which program to install 1st etc. Think I'll start with HEX, THEN BRYCE, MAYBE CARARRA or Studio, lastly Poser? When I'm sure everything works I'll slowly add content, rebooting and testing often. Anybody ever make a such a list? Any knowledge on how to create uninstallers for content obtained from other sources? It'd be great to install and remove content by genre of work in progress from time to time. Hate searching through 50+GB OF RUNTIME(S).
    tnt

ps: ANYBODY KNOW A GOOD SOURCE FOR UN-USED outdated MB's and CPU's?

Post edited by stunttnt_def730da3d on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

tnt said:
    ANYONE DELETE the C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 files?

I did. I wiped everything since it had been so long between builds after I upgraded from 4.0 and I wanted a clean install. Everything was gone (my library, databases- all of it), but my new install was still showing signs of the old install (ie self-installed scripts with custom buttons) that just would not go away no matter what I did. That folder was my last hope, and it worked (I think that's where custom layouts, etc are stored).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on