DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Got some major issues going on here:

1) There was a crash while updating another of my morphs I made for Genesis. Luckily I was able to save it out via ZB as an obj so no harm there but when I tried invoking DAZ Studio again it kept crashing during it's start up. So not sure what's going on there. After the 3rd try I went ahead and watched some TV for a few minutes and came back and it was finally up and running again.

2) Since that set of crashes DAZ Studio takes like a minute and a half to load up now. It's certainly not faster in this way, it's like molasses coming through the eye of a needle. Perhaps my log file will help you determine what's going on.

3) CRAP... The render engine takes forever to engage, saving out the image is taking forever too and on top of that now another thing is it's creating icon sized images for every image saved to my desktop. So if I have a mess of images already on my desktop (like pictures I'm saving from Facebook or other places on the web) it's creating icon sized images of those as well as saving out the render I just did and creating icon sized images of that. This is really weird.

Screen grab below shows all the images on my desktop... all the doubles you see are icon sized images. So say I have that image of "EIE_353.jpg".. there is one named "EIE_353_jpg_icon.png"

...Win7 or WIn8?
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Running Windows 8 64 bit.

Richard H: I'll try that when I get home tonight from work. As for the slowdown. Makes no sense to me that it should be slower. It wasn't with 4.5 later versions and that new CatMark default SubD wasn't an issue. Now it seems to be an issue. Hope your method fixes at least the icon issue. That's really disconcerting to save an image to the desktop and find ALL the images on the desktop to now have icon sized versions of the originals. YUK!

• axlnaseeaxlnasee Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

tried to download daz 4.6 for 40 times still cant . i gut all kind of stuff in the install manager but not daz 4.6 . i have daz 4.5 in my pc.

whats going on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edited December 1969

...well, got a corrupted download of the main 4.6 installer. Servers must have really been slammed and my connection probably was reset somewhere along the line for there was no error message until I tried to install this morning.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

axlnasee said:
    tried to download daz 4.6 for 40 times still cant . i gut all kind of stuff in the install manager but not daz 4.6 . i have daz 4.5 in my pc. whats going on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The actual application isn't in Install Manager yet, you need to download it from My Account > Product Library

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Will material presets apply to the new surface groups? E.g., could DAZ now fix Genesis to have the left and right eyes be separate surfaces, as they always should have been, and then include per-defined surface groups under the old Pupil/Iris/etc names and if someone applies a legacy material preset for a character's eyes to Genesis, the surface group will take care of applying it to both the left and right surfaces? I've had to separate the eyes into separate left and right groups many times using the PGE, especially for SciFi/Cyborg type characters.

Also, Genesis doesn't appear to have been updated with edge weights for the new OpenSubDiv. I suppose maybe it doesn't really need it, since it worked OK with the old CC SubD. I figured things like the fingernails and ridges around the eyes might benefit from it, though.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited December 1969

the install went smoothly....
    But I am having an issue with the cursor disappearing... only in Daz. slide it into another window and it is there.
    I am using multiple monitors but that doesn't seem to bother photo shop and others.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited May 2013

well I got 4.6 installed great. and it fixed quiet a few of the issues i was having.. but now i have a new issue

It appears i can not render in Raytrace al all its crashes the system without so much a error message.
    I also can not render using more than 3 deep shadow maps and it does the same.
    it does not appear to matter what light set i use or if i use custom lights its still does it
    some times it will do it with the spot render tool as well.

also I can not get more than 5 frames rendered in a 30 key key frame animation using just one deep shadow map light set. before the programs crashes again with out so much a error message. is anyone else having this trouble?
    I was able to pull one frame clip off before it crashed,
    I thought i try to do a Jack in the bean stalk animation using daz4.6 but if it keeps crashing on a simple render I won't be able too

I am a little disappointed this keep crashing on rendering after my other problems got resolved with this new version...lol any ideas on how i can fix this crash on render issue.?

beanstalk.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 121K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • edited December 1969

alanbard said:
    But I am having an issue with the cursor disappearing... only in Daz. slide it into another window and it is there.
    I am using multiple monitors but that doesn't seem to bother photo shop and others.

I've had that issue off and on since 4.0, usually minimizing and bringing it back up works for me, otherwise save(ctrl+S, or ctrl+shft+s) what i'm working on and close it out.
    Hasn't mattered what i'm doing or what system i'm on or O.S.

edited December 1969

110 seconds for DAZ Studio to be fully up and running. Not quite fast enough for my taste. Seems that there are allot of folks with various issues going on. The Public Release Candidate worked better than this. Not sure what happened between that release and this one. Weird!

edited December 1969

Weird again. Changing the info that Richard H. suggested to me for the Rendering issues got my renders and saves back up to speed with no delays or issues saving to the desktop. Cool beans for that! YAY!

• John CoxJohn Cox Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

So far so good, installation was easy.
    I agree with all the other posters about the ugly creature on the splash screen.
    What about something beautiful instead?

John

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited December 1969

I'm not getting the hate over the splash screen, its only there for a second but are you guys not seeing the lovely lady there as well?

And that aside, why does it always have to be "beautiful" there are all kinds of art, and we almost always have some beautiful girl on the splash. Its a bit nice to see something different. And there is a bit of beauty, for the monster looking at the magical light. Were people complaining about the always girls splash? Maybe, I don't know. i just don't see it as worth complaining about, even if its not your favorite thing to stare at.

Now, the weird ugly skin effect I'm getting when I use the new SSS base with skin setting, that's a serious render-ruining issue!

HELP! :(

SkinIssues.jpg
    656 x 549 - 275K
    edited May 2013

..got a clean download. Installed both 4.6 and the revised Genesis Essentials. The only "casualty" appears to be a Gen4 coat (Wanted Dead or Alive for M4) that I fitted to Genesis in one scene. For some reason, the arm fits were all messed up when I opened the scene. Deleted and reloaded it through Autofit, but once I posed the character, the arm fits came undone again (which didn't happen in the Beta when I posed him).

Otherwise, no issues so far.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited December 1969

refsocrd1 said:
    alanbard said:

I've had that issue off and on since 4.0, usually minimizing and bringing it back up works for me, otherwise save(ctrl+S, or ctrl+shft+s) what i'm working on and close it out.
    Hasn't mattered what i'm doing or what system i'm on or O.S.

will try the minimizing trick, doing a render would bring it back occasionally.
    Guess I've been lucky, it hasn't happened up till now.
    The one other thing that has changed is I started used Infinto for terrains... will have to watch for a one to one comparison on that. It was installed a while back, but just started using it.

• bertfarrybertfarry Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

A lot better I must say! Loads faster, renders faster, respond faster, and no mem errors on this little machine I have. (Celeron)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

... the weird ugly skin effect I'm getting when I use the new SSS base with skin setting, that's a serious render-ruining issue!

HELP! :(

I got that also on a character I was working on the other day. I thought it was something I did, but hadn't figured out what yet. I managed to fix it but it was through pushing, pulling, and twisting so many settings I'm not entirely sure which did it in the end yet. Sorry couldn't be more help but wanted to at least know you weren't alone in getting it.
    Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2013

I got that too belovedalia , but turned reflections off and it fixed it.

Post edited by Wilmap on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

Yes I thought that might have been what it was for me in the end but for me it was so much by the time I got it off.... I didn't want to add to the confusion if I was wrong (hadn't replicated enough to be sure.) The thing is, I'm not sure why reflection was turned on when I applied the shader... was 10% iirc.

... that is, confusing way to say I'm not sure why reflection on at (10%?) is default when applying the shader.

The other thing (good) is that the shader seems to respond to reflection very quickly, more quickly then other shaders, but I have to do some more testing to confirm this... so much to try, so much to play with on this shader.. it's fun ;)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

I modified a scene originally saved in 4.5 using 4.6, some dynamic cloth + V4 + some scene props, then saved in 4.6. It crashes 4.6 every time upon loading now. I added some smoothing and push modifiers to the dynamic cloth. Might that be the culprit? I do have 16 Gb RAM on my system (Mac OS 10.8.3).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    I modified a scene originally saved in 4.5 using 4.6, some dynamic cloth + V4 + some scene props, then saved in 4.6. It crashes 4.6 every time upon loading now. I added some smoothing and push modifiers to the dynamic cloth. Might that be the culprit? I do have 16 Gb RAM on my system (Mac OS 10.8.3).

Try it on a fresh scene, but I would expect dynamic cloth to play badly with or simply ignore anything that modifies the mesh. If you can reproduce it please bug report it as a crash is a bad response, even to wrong or unsupported user-actions.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Usually smoothing is added after the cloth sim is frozen. It helps clean up some of the really bad foldbacks that the dynamic cloth sim seems to generate, as well as helps with pokethrough in areas where the cloth sim's collision failed to adequately stay away from the underlying figure. When you freeze the sim, it turns the cloth into a static prop mesh and all the dynamics aspect is gone; it's a one-way activity with no undo.

• FabeFabe Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

I downloaded studio 6 directly from the store page. Will installing it replace the previous version or should I remove the old daz first?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,901
    edited December 1969

Fabe_ca said:
    I downloaded studio 6 directly from the store page. Will installing it replace the previous version or should I remove the old daz first?

It will uninstall the previous version first as part of the installation process.

edited December 1969

Fabe_ca said:

It will uninstall the previous version first as part of the installation process.

Thanks,any thing else I should and/or need to install?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,901
    edited May 2013

Not really, no. Obviously you need Genesis Starter Essentials, which may already be installed.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited December 1969

Not really, no. Obviously you need Genesis Starter Essentials, which may already be installed.

Yeah i got genesis install, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to update it or anything else that can with the bundle. Thanks again for the help.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Fabe_ca said:

Yeah i got genesis install, just wanted to make sure I didn't need to update it or anything else that can with the bundle. Thanks again for the help.

GSE has been updated, but there's nothing essential, the prior version will work fine.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    If you Export User Data it puts the info in files named UserData_1.dsx (and _2 if needed, etc.) in the Runtime:Support folder

I was unable to find the files you are referring to. I am not exporting anything. All I am asking for is where does it store the info that is created when a user creates their own categories. Here is an example of what I am talking about. The content is not under the Default category, it is under a more organized method, at least in my opinion. Where is that info stored at?

Please select the image for a better view.

It stores it in the database. If you want to save it, Export Userdata.

I at first did not understand what was meant by Exporting User data, but I now do and thank you as I will certainly utilize this in the future.

However, there was no need to do so other than having a back-up of my personal categorization, because I can report that installing the new version over the old worked wonderfully. All of my hours spent cataloging my content, in which is only around 25% completed, was left intact and not disturbed as far as I can tell. There was no need to uninstall anything as that process was done by the installer with no hiccups.

I have as yet to try anything with the new version, but at least to this point all seems satisfactory.

I certainly wish I knew the Genesis Starter Essentials was not anything different than the previous version, as that was the only thing I had to clear out of the default folder.

At this point I will give thanks to DAZ for a smooth upgrade with an option to change my mind when I start using the program on a daily basis.

edited May 2013

...performed a test render with Garibaldi Hair (eyebrows) and the render stalled at 99% Clicked "cancel" but even after the render window and dialogue pane cleared it was still running. Closed the application then went into Windows Task Manager and the application was still active (as well as growing in memory usage) in the processes tab.

The scene was a simple portrait, Genesis set up as a child, MPC with a photo paper backdrop, standard Daz Light set (non UE), and no shadows. A previous render using Lantios 2 cancelled with no issue (changed the lightset to save rendering time for the tests). The eyebrows had only 260 hairs. 3,000 verticies.

Looks similar to what occurred with the old memory leaks that plagued 2.0 - 3Advanced.

Post edited by kyoto kid on