DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• edited May 2013

This is the first issue I have had with the new 4.6 version. I can't get the rendering engine to do anything except "CRASH".

I figured I would stress it from the start and try rendering the LAMH hair out...but it won't work. System and Graphics drivers are all up to date, and I never had an issue with it before now.

Could there be a problem area I'm overlooking after installation?

Does Look At My Hair have to be re-installed and activated again?

I can view the hair using the free player, but not the final rendering because, as I said, 3Dlight "Crashes" immediately. I also no longer see the creation panel, which did work before. The option to create "New Hair" has also disappeared.

So I can only assume the plug-in is being ignored unless it is re-installed?

The LAMH plug-in was working before, and I even exported it, as shown here... http://youtu.be/eqkSN0ctbcA

Post Edit: Well it works now that I re-installed the Plug-in; at least for the 32 bit version. Doesn't make sense that the Free-Player cannot be installed alongside the actual plug-in though. The Free Player has some easy to use features...maybe I'm looking at this backwards.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,141
    edited December 1969

Don't know what you all did the code but it's so much better. GoZ used to crash out DS all the time. Now, no matter what I do it stays stable.

Certain things that would crash DS from the bridge would be to import in a shape I'd created but wanted to fix up some more. So what I would do would save out the morph as a new obj file then bring in Genesis default shape, store that in ZB as a morph target to bring back ears, eyelashes, eyeballs or what ever needed restoring, and then Insert the saved out morph.obj so I could work and not worry about loosing default detail where I didn't want to (that goes for making sure the hands and feet were also safe) in doing this it must have created some instability in previous versions of DS. Most of the time bringing the re-sculpted morph back into DS would lead to a crash. So then I'd have to save out the fixed morph and bring it in via the Morph Loader Pro and while that worked fine I like using the Bridge best.

So this is something that's improved in my book. THANKS so much for this improvement. Makes my work flow more stable. :-)

• PschelfhPschelfh Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Was Uberenvironment 2 revised too? It seems that it renders less bright than in 4.5. If I use one of the HDR's at 100% (quality 4XHi), I get lots of grey spots on the skin. There also seems to be more noise in the shadow areas.
    I wonder if the 4XHi qualitytakes effect, because especialy the hair renders much faster than before.

Peter.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...well, I rendered a scene with Jack's Aslan Court in the beta of 4.6 using the lights that came with the set and the lights were still too "hot" for some reason.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

This is the first issue I have had with the new 4.6 version. I can't get the rendering engine to do anything except "CRASH".

I figured I would stress it from the start and try rendering the LAMH hair out...but it won't work. System and Graphics drivers are all up to date, and I never had an issue with it before now.

Could there be a problem area I'm overlooking after installation?

Does Look At My Hair have to be re-installed and activated again?

I can view the hair using the free player, but not the final rendering because, as I said, 3Dlight "Crashes" immediately. I also no longer see the creation panel, which did work before. The option to create "New Hair" has also disappeared.

So I can only assume the plug-in is being ignored unless it is re-installed?

The LAMH plug-in was working before, and I even exported it, as shown here... http://youtu.be/eqkSN0ctbcA

Post Edit: Well it works now that I re-installed the Plug-in; at least for the 32 bit version. Doesn't make sense that the Free-Player cannot be installed alongside the actual plug-in though. The Free Player has some easy to use features...maybe I'm looking at this backwards.

The player and the full plugin can't be installed alongside each other, only one or the other. As they use many of the same system parts they just can't run simultaneously. Hopefully we'll have the full version out soon with the human hair shader and the new features so you won't want the player too.

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

I can't install V4, M4 or any other characters in DAZ 4.6. I install but they don't appear in the library. I'm install in /My Library

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I can't install V4, M4 or any other characters in DAZ 4.6. I install but they don't appear in the library. I'm install in /My Library

Do they show up in Content Library > Poser Formats > My Library > Figures > DAZ People?

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited May 2013

I'm stumped. DAZ 4.6 won't load.

I've tried a number of variations to find a solution....MCSA does come in handy!

I can run D|S 4.5 with no problem. I've even loaded 4.6 gotten the error, removed it and reloaded 4.5 with no problem.

So here is what I've done most recently.

1) stopped CMS,
    2) unloaded D|S 4.5
    3) deleted everything in the DAZ directory (not the content folder mind you)
    4) ran CCleaner on the Registry (three times. Dang some thing just don't want to delete.) on a side note, when did Uninstall stopped being truely Uninstall...as in everything?
    5) ran D|S 4.6 install as an administrator
    6) rebooted (just incase...ya never know)
    7) Ran it in normal and as administrator.
    8) received this error you see as the attached image.

Tech specs: Quad core 3.2Ghz system with 16Gb ram and 2Gb Nvidia graphics card running Windows 7 64bit.

System is up to date. Manually had to update the latest update for the video card two weeks ago as MS did not show the update available. I was trying to load the Beta version back then and received the same error.

I'm stumped.

(I have submitted a trouble request, but threw this out here in the hopes someone would have an idea for a fix before hand.)

Untitled-2_copy.jpg
    510 x 201 - 71K
    Post edited by PDSmith on
  • stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited May 2013

PDSmith said:
    I'm stumped. DAZ 4.6 won't load.

I've tried a number of variations to find a solution....MCSA does come in handy!

I can run D|S 4.5 with no problem. I've even loaded 4.6 gotten the error, removed it and reloaded 4.5 with no problem.

So here is what I've done most recently.

1) stopped CMS,
    2) unloaded D|S 4.5
    3) deleted everything in the DAZ directory (not the content folder mind you)
    4) ran CCleaner on the Registry (three times. Dang some thing just don't want to delete.) on a side note, when did Uninstall stopped being truely Uninstall...as in everything?
    5) ran D|S 4.6 install as an administrator
    6) rebooted (just incase...ya never know)
    7) Ran it in normal and as administrator.
    8) received this error you see as the attached image.

Tech specs: Quad core 3.2Ghz system with 16Gb ram and 2Gb Nvidia graphics card running Windows 7 64bit.

System is up to date. Manually had to update the latest update for the video card two weeks ago as MS did not show the update available. I was trying to load the Beta version back then and received the same error.

I'm stumped.

(I have submitted a trouble request, but threw this out here in the hopes someone would have an idea for a fix before hand.)

That warning look's like a NET framework error, try updating your NET Framework on windows either NET framework 2005 or 2010 or make sure your windows updates are current.Here is a link to Microsoft support:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/gp_NETFrame_master

Hope that helps.

Post edited by stump3point1 on
  • Mr BowenMr Bowen Posts: 377
    edited May 2013

What is in the set of SSS shaders and where are they? All I can find is the Base Shader.

Post edited by Mr Bowen on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Mr Bowen said:
    What is in the set of SSS shaders and where are they? All I can find is the Base Shader.

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/subsurface-gummy-plastic-shaders
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/subsurface-toon-shaders

edited December 1969

quoted from Kyoto Kid
    "There’s even a free set of basic Sub Surface shaders included. "

edited December 1969
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2013

Is there any way that the hideous Splash screen can be turned off. I hate it.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Is there any way that the hideous Splash screen can be turned off. I hate it.

According to Spooky: no ...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22156/P210/#328542

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Shame. I don't want to see that every time I load DS 4.6

edited December 1969

yeah, i know. The Docs page says this-

You can find new icons for this product in the following DAZ Studio Categories:
    “Documents”
    “Shaders:Other”
    I cannot find these.
    I did find the settings I was looking for, though. Kind of odd for the settings, i.e. marble, not to have their own icons in the content library.

• PhloxPhlox Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

I'm also having trouble finding the extra presets - there should be ( I think ) these ones as indicated in http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/16324/16324_subsurface-shader-base.pdf

I have the base shader - but cannot find these at all. The toon and plastic shades are working fine and I did install the shader base as well.

sss-preset.jpg
    806 x 428 - 74K
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited May 2013

These can be found in the "SSS Material Type" dropdown of the material settings and they appear to adjust certain settings of the shader as a kind of preset.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-18_at_12.54_.38_PM_.png
    397 x 279 - 26K
    Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • PhloxPhlox Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Thanks - that makes sense now I see it! :)

edited December 1969

Do they show up in Content Library > Poser Formats > My Library > Figures > DAZ People?

Yes, but when I load it start asking a lot of pz2 files. Just that one with a parchment icon. I reinstalled V4 but still happen the same thing.
    Maybe I should unistall all (daz 4.6 and characters) and reinstall them again.

V4_issue.jpg
    738 x 495 - 54K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

There's a Content folder there that shouldn't be - assuming that the \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ folder is in the actual folder listed under Poser Formats in the Content Library and not a subfolder of that, go to the !DAZ folder in a file browser and double-click CreateExPFiles-V4.bat. If the Runtime is in a Content folder in the folder that appears in Content Library, cut the contents of the Content folder and paste them into the actual content directory folder that is listed under Poser Formats.

edited December 1969

There's a Content folder there that shouldn't be - assuming that the \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ folder is in the actual folder listed under Poser Formats in the Content Library and not a subfolder of that, go to the !DAZ folder in a file browser and double-click CreateExPFiles-V4.bat. If the Runtime is in a Content folder in the folder that appears in Content Library, cut the contents of the Content folder and paste them into the actual content directory folder that is listed under Poser Formats.

Thanks Richard! That's a DS3 Runtime and I think is better reinstall everything for optimizing the library. If this issue happens again, I'll come back here.
    Thank you!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    These can be found in the "SSS Material Type" dropdown of the material settings and they appear to adjust certain settings of the shader as a kind of preset.

Thank you! :)

I had found, then lost these.

edited December 1969

Got some major issues going on here:

1) There was a crash while updating another of my morphs I made for Genesis. Luckily I was able to save it out via ZB as an obj so no harm there but when I tried invoking DAZ Studio again it kept crashing during it's start up. So not sure what's going on there. After the 3rd try I went ahead and watched some TV for a few minutes and came back and it was finally up and running again.

2) Since that set of crashes DAZ Studio takes like a minute and a half to load up now. It's certainly not faster in this way, it's like molasses coming through the eye of a needle. Perhaps my log file will help you determine what's going on.

3) CRAP... The render engine takes forever to engage, saving out the image is taking forever too and on top of that now another thing is it's creating icon sized images for every image saved to my desktop. So if I have a mess of images already on my desktop (like pictures I'm saving from Facebook or other places on the web) it's creating icon sized images of those as well as saving out the render I just did and creating icon sized images of that. This is really weird.

Screen grab below shows all the images on my desktop... all the doubles you see are icon sized images. So say I have that image of "EIE_353.jpg".. there is one named "EIE_353_jpg_icon.png"

DSCreatingIconSizedImagesofPicturesonDesktop.jpg
    1002 x 1041 - 349K
  • ken_7dac5ac5a2ken_7dac5ac5a2 Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

The short answer is there are very serious and numerous reasons that we moved away from the .DAZ format, and even given that, it was a decision that we did not make lightly.

This is just one symptom of the issues that are caused by the .DAZ file format.

DAZ_Spooky, thanks for responding, but that doesn't help nor answer my questions. Given that this change has been made (for the reasons you mention), it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask DAZ to provide some help in converting old DAZ scenes. I have searched the forums and the web and have found little explanation of things like the auto_adapted folder.

My essential questions remain:

The idea is to get rid of DAZ scenes in favor of DUF scenes. What is the best (and easiest) way to do that?

Some information about what auto_adapted is and how it works would certainly help.

I will start a new topic since I am not getting answers here and since, apart from the fact that handling of DUF files changed with 4.6, it isn't directly about the DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release.

Thanks for your help.

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited May 2013

Although, I really like the subD...I do have one possible problem with the new version of DazStudio. When I export an .fbx file....my C4D r14 no longer imports it. It could be I have a faulty setting...I need to recheck. I'm just seeing if anyone else is having a similar problem. Then I'll report it as a bug. UPDATE: Figured out that you need to be sure the SubD export is unchecked

Post edited by peteVault on
    edited December 1969

Update. Tried uninstalling DAZ Studio and the Service module, rebooting the computer and reinstalling... still the same issues. Takes forever to load up the program. Takes forever for the Render to start and takes forever for the Render to be saved to the Desktop! BAD BAD BAD!

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited May 2013

Problem resolved

Post edited by mrposer on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

RW: in the render Library pane, right-click the tab or click the menu button and pick Render Directory Manager. It works like the Content Directory Manager - make sure you don't have the Desktop selected. Then, if you really must save your images to the desktop, do a render to a window and click on the Library button (under the label for the Name box) and select Folder instead. That will kill the icon generation, and might speed things up.

The new CatMark default SubD is slower than the old method, so items like Genesis will take a bit longer to appear in the viewport.