dForce Master - HairForce MEGA Thread [Commerical]

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

I saw one post here about a database for the different Hair products that have been tried. I didn't see the link to it. Is it available?

Also, I have tried to get two Hair products to work and haven't had any luck.

1)  Mystical HR G8 - My goal here is to have my Characters hair flow over her shoulder instead of through it or hovering above it. Then later in the Animation the Character bends over and I want the Hair to fall down toward the floor.

This hair shows four parts in the Surfaces pane: A_Hair, B_Hair, C_Hair & Scalp. I used the "General Base n Scalp" on "Scalp", On the other three hair parts I have tried Normal Soft 01 & 08 and Normal Difficult 01 & 05. Basically it all looks like the Hair Exploded. I'll try to use the Weight painting next but was hoping maybe someone else has gotten this Hair to work and could share their settings.​

​​2) Lainey G8 - All I am really after right now is for her Hair to not go through her shoulder and hand but to flow over them naturally. I really don't want to lose much of the shaping of the hair.

​This hair has quite a few parts Back, Back Under, Bangs1, Bangs2, Cap, Front1, Front2, Side1, Side2. I used the General Scalp on "Cap" and used "Normal Soft 01" & then "Normal Soft 08" on the rest. With both she loses a lot of hair. 

**** Bug ****

​With both scenarios I run into the same issue that wsgentry did.The scene becomes invisible in the iray Render. I tried this twice on my PC and my laptop.

See the image attached.

You issue may be a bug in dForce itself.
    I had a similar issue while using the dForce Sweet Anime Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s).
    I wanted to use dForce on the parisol fabric and frilly trim.  As soon as I hit simulate, all of the fabric surfaces went poof and just vanished from the scene, until I hit the clear button.

• It could be a general dForce problem.This is the only dForce that I have used. I did just discover that if I save the Scene and restart DAZ Studio, I am able render in iray again.

• JamesJAB ​ did you open a ticket with DAZ3D for your problem?

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535

I saw one post here about a database for the different Hair products that have been tried. I didn't see the link to it. Is it available?

1)  Mystical HR G8 - My goal here is to have my Characters hair flow over her shoulder instead of through it or hovering above it. Then later in the Animation the Character bends over and I want the Hair to fall down toward the floor.

This hair shows four parts in the Surfaces pane: A_Hair, B_Hair, C_Hair & Scalp. I used the "General Base n Scalp" on "Scalp", On the other three hair parts I have tried Normal Soft 01 & 08 and Normal Difficult 01 & 05. Basically it all looks like the Hair Exploded. I'll try to use the Weight painting next but was hoping maybe someone else has gotten this Hair to work and could share their settings.​

To get hair flow over her shoulder, you first need to move as much of the hair away from the pokethrough as possible, even if you have to make them float in mid-air, normal soft preset 8 should be a decent preset for achieving hair falls. Hair explosion could be caused by this, and it could also be caused by badly designed hair strands - in which case you can try using the weightmap to fix it smiley, oh and, weightmapping is actually required for most of the animation simulation to work

​​2) Lainey G8 - All I am really after right now is for her Hair to not go through her shoulder and hand but to flow over them naturally. I really don't want to lose much of the shaping of the hair.​

This hair has quite a few parts Back, Back Under, Bangs1, Bangs2, Cap, Front1, Front2, Side1, Side2. I used the General Scalp on "Cap" and used "Normal Soft 01" & then "Normal Soft 08" on the rest. With both she loses a lot of hair. 

If the hair is falling down from the scalp, it means that it is not really nicely connected to the scalp surface, all you really need to do is to paint the roots of those area grey in the weightmap, and it should stop falling from the scalp smiley

**** Bug ****

​With both scenarios I run into the same issue that wsgentry did.The scene becomes invisible in the iray Render. I tried this twice on my PC and my laptop.

See the image attached.

Now that I see your image, i remember i ran into a similar situation before. Have no idea what caused it but it should be back to normal if you save the whole scene and restart daz... I couldn't remember if I did anything other than that...

You can also try to open the scene in BETA version of DAZ and see if it is fixed smiley

• poorman_65poorman_65 Posts: 140
    edited January 2018
    EcVh0 said:

Purchased yesterday and having some success using the presets.

Today I've tried running through the read me and applying a dForce Modifier Weight node to Leyton Hair on a G2 figure to try and fix up some hair falling through the forehead.

Instructions are crystal clear except for the last one which is stumping me......I can't paint anything grey or blue, how do you do this??

I've checked the procedure carefully and made sure everything that was selected in the screenshots was selected in Daz.

I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

But great product, I've been waiting for things like this to start happening with Daz3D  ;)

Cheers!

Thank you!

So first, you need to select the hair you are working on, make sure the dForce dynamic surface is applied.

Then you go to "Create" on your top left corner and select "New dForce Modifier Weight Node".

With that done, you should be able to see a "dForce Modifier Weight Node 1" object in your Scene Tab, select the object and open up "Tool Settings" Tab (You can find that under "Windows - Pane(Tabs) - Tool Settings")

In tool settings, change the active tool (you should be able to see that on top of that tab) to "Node Weight Map Brush" and you should be able to see the entire tab changing into things like: Masks, Sensitivity etc

At the bottom half of the tab, you should be able to locate something called: "Unused Maps" under Weight Maps subtab, and with the modifer object selected, you should be able to see a selection called "dForce Simulation: Influence Weights"

Add that map and you should be able to see the entire hair changing into full red and you should be able to paint from now on :)

EDIT: I just realized how you mentioned you can't paint anything blue or grey, try holding ALT while you are on "P" mode (the one with paint and P next to it) then paint on the red area, should be able to work :)

And if you want to have a perfect gradient, use the pole looking icon (directional gradient mode) and place the yellow one on top of the hair and red one somewhere halfway to the bottom of the hair

Let me know which step you couldn't recreate the things above so I can help you where you got lost laugh

I am having the same problem but I am missing something in how to make this work. I have tried Alt+"Paint Brush Button" and release, Alt+"Paint Brush Button" and ​holding Alt down, pressing Alt while the "Paint Brush Button" is already pressed. No matter what I do I get a Red circle around a Green circle and can't paint anything.

​One thing that I am wondering about is if the "dForce Modifier Weight Node" is correct. The hair does show up as Red as was mentioned in the PDF but, even though it is parented to the hair, it shows up way down on the ground. I've tried positioning it around the head but I not sure how it is supposed to behave.

WeightMapPaintProblem.png
    964 x 619 - 225K
    Post edited by poorman_65 on

It could be a general dForce problem.This is the only dForce that I have used. I did just discover that if I save the Scene and restart DAZ Studio, I am able render in iray again.

Yup! That's how I solved it... according to my memory laugh

EcVh0 said:

Today I've tried running through the read me and applying a dForce Modifier Weight node to Leyton Hair on a G2 figure to try and fix up some hair falling through the forehead.

Instructions are crystal clear except for the last one which is stumping me......I can't paint anything grey or blue, how do you do this??

I've checked the procedure carefully and made sure everything that was selected in the screenshots was selected in Daz.

But great product, I've been waiting for things like this to start happening with Daz3D  ;)

Cheers!

Thank you!

So first, you need to select the hair you are working on, make sure the dForce dynamic surface is applied.

Then you go to "Create" on your top left corner and select "New dForce Modifier Weight Node".

With that done, you should be able to see a "dForce Modifier Weight Node 1" object in your Scene Tab, select the object and open up "Tool Settings" Tab (You can find that under "Windows - Pane(Tabs) - Tool Settings")

In tool settings, change the active tool (you should be able to see that on top of that tab) to "Node Weight Map Brush" and you should be able to see the entire tab changing into things like: Masks, Sensitivity etc

At the bottom half of the tab, you should be able to locate something called: "Unused Maps" under Weight Maps subtab, and with the modifer object selected, you should be able to see a selection called "dForce Simulation: Influence Weights"

Add that map and you should be able to see the entire hair changing into full red and you should be able to paint from now on :)

EDIT: I just realized how you mentioned you can't paint anything blue or grey, try holding ALT while you are on "P" mode (the one with paint and P next to it) then paint on the red area, should be able to work :)

And if you want to have a perfect gradient, use the pole looking icon (directional gradient mode) and place the yellow one on top of the hair and red one somewhere halfway to the bottom of the hair

Let me know which step you couldn't recreate the things above so I can help you where you got lost laugh

I am having the same problem but I am missing something in how to make this work. I have tried Alt+"Paint Brush Button" and release, Alt+"Paint Brush Button" and ​holding Alt down, pressing Alt while the "Paint Brush Button" is already pressed. No matter what I do I get a Red circle around a Green circle and can't paint anything.

It seems like you are painting something onto the scalp, just a very small chunk of it. Try increasing the sensitivity in your screenshot from 0.30 to 0.50+ and it should have better result :) The red circle around a green circle should be correct, holding ALT while painting simply gives the reverse effect of painting something red (which is what happens when you don't hold ALT and paint) 

​One thing that I am wondering about is if the "dForce Modifier Weight Node" is correct. The hair does show up as Red as was mentioned in the PDF but, even though it is parented to the hair, it shows up way down on the ground. I've tried positioning it around the head but I not sure how it is supposed to behave.

Are you refering the gradient painting in this? Yeah you have to drag the yellow circle on the top because that's where the color grey starts, and the red circle is when the color becomes completely red smiley

• EcVh0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

It seems like you are painting something onto the scalp, just a very small chunk of it. Try increasing the sensitivity in your screenshot from 0.30 to 0.50+ and it should have better result :) The red circle around a green circle should be correct, holding ALT while painting simply gives the reverse effect of painting something red (which is what happens when you don't hold ALT and paint) 

Are you refering the gradient painting in this? Yeah you have to drag the yellow circle on the top because that's where the color grey starts, and the red circle is when the color becomes completely red smiley

What I am refering to is when you first create the dForce Modifier Weight Node. The Node itself is showing up at ground level.

• Changing the sensitivity from 0.30 to 0.50+ ​works. I have both of the Characters hair working without exploding or falling out now. I am playing around with different presets now to try to get the results tuned in better. Once I have everything looking the way I want it to I will post some before and after shots along with notes on where I had trouble.

EcVh0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

What I am refering to is when you first create the dForce Modifier Weight Node. The Node itself is showing up at ground level.

Oh! I actually had no idea about that! It shouldn't affect anything tho, since mine is probably at the ground level the whole time... lol

Changing the sensitivity from 0.30 to 0.50+ ​works. I have both of the Characters hair working without exploding or falling out now. I am playing around with different presets now to try to get the results tuned in better. Once I have everything looking the way I want it to I will post some before and after shots along with notes on where I had trouble.

Glad to know it works! Good luck and will be waiting for your result laugh

• Is there a trick to help paint these hard to get spots? There is blue and even red that I can't seem to change. It works OK for a single frame but when I try to do the whole Animation she loses hair.

Hard to get spots.png
    352 x 336 - 209K

Is there a trick to help paint these hard to get spots? There is blue and even red that I can't seem to change. It works OK for a single frame but when I try to do the whole Animation she loses hair.

That case, you may want to try out the gradient painting mode on the right of the smooth brush (the one that looks like a pillar), but the yellow circle on the top and red half way down and let the gradient do its job :)

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572
    EcVh0 said:

To get hair flow over her shoulder, you first need to move as much of the hair away from the pokethrough as possible, even if you have to make them float in mid-air, normal soft preset 8 should be a decent preset for achieving hair falls. Hair explosion could be caused by this, and it could also be caused by badly designed hair strands - in which case you can try using the weightmap to fix it smiley, oh and, weightmapping is actually required for most of the animation simulation to work

​​2) Lainey G8 - All I am really after right now is for her Hair to not go through her shoulder and hand but to flow over them naturally. I really don't want to lose much of the shaping of the hair.​

This hair has quite a few parts Back, Back Under, Bangs1, Bangs2, Cap, Front1, Front2, Side1, Side2. I used the General Scalp on "Cap" and used "Normal Soft 01" & then "Normal Soft 08" on the rest. With both she loses a lot of hair. 

If the hair is falling down from the scalp, it means that it is not really nicely connected to the scalp surface, all you really need to do is to paint the roots of those area grey in the weightmap, and it should stop falling from the scalp smiley

**** Bug ****

See the image attached.

Now that I see your image, i remember i ran into a similar situation before. Have no idea what caused it but it should be back to normal if you save the whole scene and restart daz... I couldn't remember if I did anything other than that...

You can also try to open the scene in BETA version of DAZ and see if it is fixed smiley

EcVh0 said:

**** Bug ****

See the image attached.

The problem I have with invisible renders is still there.  I've done everything I can think of and things you've thought of.  Nothing works.  I do not have access beta versions of Studio, so I'm SOL.

Scott

edited January 2018
    wsgentry said:
    EcVh0 said:

**** Bug ****

See the image attached.

EcVh0 said:

**** Bug ****

See the image attached.

The problem I have with invisible renders is still there.  I've done everything I can think of and things you've thought of.  Nothing works.  I do not have access beta versions of Studio, so I'm SOL.

Scott

And the DAZ support has no clue as well? sad

Have you tried looking for some kind of log file or something? There must be some kind of error message with stuff like this...

Post edited by EcVh0 on

I haven't opened a ticket with DAZ support, my experience when I'm dealing with hard to find issues is less than stellar.  Then again, studio is a free product, so I understand.  Logs?  Nothing out of the ordinary there, either. 

wsgentry said:

I haven't opened a ticket with DAZ support, my experience when I'm dealing with hard to find issues is less than stellar.  Then again, studio is a free product, so I understand.  Logs?  Nothing out of the ordinary there, either. 

That literally hit me in the head, and I still have absolutely no clue where the bug came from LOL, well, maybe next version of DAZ would eventually have some kind of error message in this... 

EcVh0 said:
    wsgentry said:

That literally hit me in the head, and I still have absolutely no clue where the bug came from LOL, well, maybe next version of DAZ would eventually have some kind of error message in this... 

That makes two of us.  I've had some pretty bizarre issues since 4.10 came out. Stuff like .dll's getting moved to hidden directories, etc.  All were OS related as they do not occur anymore since more updates have been installed.  In those cases, there was absolutely no indication in any log on the entire machine, it just happened.  This, because rendering works on figures where hairforce is not being used, tells me it's either in Studio or hairforce.  Unfortunately, nothing I've done since having this issue then troubleshooting has led me anywhere except off a cliff.  It's sad because when you announced this product, my excitement over more realistic hair positioning was over the top.  Now, I just don't use it.  I'm certain this issue is extremely rare as only one other person has reported it, however I can't help but feel disappointed--and that's not your fault--because my expectations were realistic in that I hoped I would be able to play with the product and see where it fit for me.  I had no illusions that the product would work for every hair.  Oh, well.  I have more of your products that work great. 

Scott

Okay, here are log messages.  I was running through a bunch of different hairs and got this with Swizzle Bob.   First error message ever, in fact the alert box said to check the logs, so here they are:

2018-01-17 22:29:26.042 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): recv failed errno=10054
    2018-01-17 22:31:03.851 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Device 0).

2018-01-17 22:31:03.851 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2294): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)

I'm going to update graphic drivers and try again.

Scott

wsgentry said:

Okay, here are log messages.  I was running through a bunch of different hairs and got this with Swizzle Bob.   First error message ever, in fact the alert box said to check the logs, so here they are:

2018-01-17 22:29:26.042 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): recv failed errno=10054
    2018-01-17 22:31:03.851 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Device 0).

2018-01-17 22:31:03.851 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2294): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)

I'm going to update graphic drivers and try again.

Scott

Same error message. :)  But, this happens before the simulation is complete, so I can render the result before the simulation bombs.  I guess that's progress. :)

edited January 2018

I got it working.  It has to do with the hair being used.   I used a hair that has been shown in this thread to work and it worked for me.   Simulated and rendered fine.  Now, does anyone have a list of hair that works?  Most of the hair I have does not work. It's odd how it doesn't work, thoujgh.  Some explode, some throw errors without log entries, some just yield blank renders.  So, there you go.

Scott

Post edited by wsgentry on

I am also finding that changing gravity settings sometimes yields better results, as well.  I don't believe I've read much about gravity settings in this thread.  Changing the time the simulation can run has interesting possibilities, as well.

Scott

Anyone seen this logged error sequence?

2018-01-19 08:08:57.186 WARNING: cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): recv failed errno=10054
    2018-01-19 08:09:16.127 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (Device 0).

2018-01-19 08:09:16.127 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2294): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)
    2018-01-19 08:09:16.357 Total Simulation Time: 35.9 seconds

This happened when trying to simulate Pascale Hair for Genesis 8 Female. Using the difficult Hair Preset 01.

Finally!  A log entry where the simulation completes, then rendering yields nothng:

2018-01-20 12:50:18.845 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): Processing scene...
    2018-01-20 12:50:18.860 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend warn : RTKernel: degenerated geometry, must disable all ray tracing
    2018-01-20 12:50:18.881 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 28.509 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)

So, to me, it looks like something corrupted the geometry to the point where IRAY puked. 

wsgentry said:

Finally!  A log entry where the simulation completes, then rendering yields nothng:

2018-01-20 12:50:18.845 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti): Processing scene...
    2018-01-20 12:50:18.860 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend warn : RTKernel: degenerated geometry, must disable all ray tracing
    2018-01-20 12:50:18.881 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 28.509 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)

So, to me, it looks like something corrupted the geometry to the point where IRAY puked. 

Apologies somehow your log post puked the daz's forum notification system as well and I did not get anything when you posted all that winkblush

Yeah, this sounds really like a bug in dForce cuz no matter how it simulates, it shouldn't corrupt the geometry in any way (even if it explodes I guess, you can render exploded items lol)

Force isn't strong enough...crying

• For those getting the invisible renders, are you sure your rendering camera is the same as the non-rendering camera? Can you see the scene in the viewport on the Render tab just before you click the blue Render button?

For this "hair from another site", is it one that was made in Poser's HairRoom and then converted to a mesh?

Are you using camera settings presets where the actual camera object's parameters have been tweaked?

Is there a plane in front of the camera in an attempt to mimic a real-world camera lens filter?

I know these are frustratingly simplistic questions, but these issues are seemingly improbable at best, and history tells us that people asking for help tend to leave out important details for one reason or another. "I accidentally a whole bottle" type of thing.

One last question: Is DS installed on C:\drive and on WIndows 10? If so, remove it, install it on a secondary drive (even a partition on C:\ that is not named C:\) and see if the problem is with Windows' Maximum Security protocols. 

• As for hands getting tangled in the hair, put a sphere primitive around the hands and scale it so it's like a mitten - just beyond the boundaries of the fingers but not so big they're like wearing bowling balls.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

As for hands getting tangled in the hair, put a sphere primitive around the hands and scale it so it's like a mitten - just beyond the boundaries of the fingers but not so big they're like wearing bowling balls.

Yeah, this was an old trick that served us Optitex users well when trying to get conforming hairstyles and dynamic hoods to cooperate with each other.

• I've been using it with dForced hair to help it maintain the base shape around the head while still letting it cascade when the figure is laying down.

For those getting the invisible renders, are you sure your rendering camera is the same as the non-rendering camera? Can you see the scene in the viewport on the Render tab just before you click the blue Render button?

For this "hair from another site", is it one that was made in Poser's HairRoom and then converted to a mesh?

Are you using camera settings presets where the actual camera object's parameters have been tweaked?

Is there a plane in front of the camera in an attempt to mimic a real-world camera lens filter?

I know these are frustratingly simplistic questions, but these issues are seemingly improbable at best, and history tells us that people asking for help tend to leave out important details for one reason or another. "I accidentally a whole bottle" type of thing.

One last question: Is DS installed on C:\drive and on WIndows 10? If so, remove it, install it on a secondary drive (even a partition on C:\ that is not named C:\) and see if the problem is with Windows' Maximum Security protocols. 

Camera is the same as the rendering camera (it happens when I use iRay from the drop down menu, too).  Straight up DAZ store purchased hair, too.  Camera parameters have not been tweaked--simple render.  C Drive install, and I'm not moving it, sorry.  When Dell finally decides to give me a credit for the 2TB SSD drive I found was incompatible with my Alienware 17 R4 laptop, I'll think about it, but not now--it should make no difference.  I am not getting security errors (I'm a Senior Network Security Engineer by trade) in any log.  Besides, if I use the surface selection tool, the surface can be selected from the blank screen (drop down iRay render in the active viewport).  They're just invisible.  If I go back to Texture Render, the figure is there.   The error is the geometry gets corrupted and rendering stops--it's in the log; that action clears the active viewport.  

So, I guess I wait until the next version of Studio comes out.  It's a shame because some hair does not cause this problem but others do, even with weight maps painted.    I've even lowered the simulation time to the point where nothing happens, yet I get the same error in the logs. 

I apologize for not finding the log entries earlier--their position in the logs depends on the time it takes the failure to appear.

This all written, when applied to a hair that works, it's exactly what I want.  Unfortunately, one of the key things is the number of surfaces in the hair.  If there are more than three surfaces (including the cap/scalp), I can pretty much guarantee the above result. 

What I will do later (once I sleep) is disable the graphics amplifier and try this with the built in 1080 (you can't have two graphics cards active with the graphics amplifier--the system won't allow it, I've tried).  I have little hope this will cure anything as both cards pass diagnostics. 

Thanks for the input! :)

Scott