dForce Master - HairForce MEGA Thread [Commerical]

Comments

• marth_emarth_e Posts: 171

Wow, this looks awesome and it was a very needed feature in Daz. Does it work on any hair? Or for it to work the hair has to comply with certain characteristics?

Martha E.

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

HI EcVh0. I just picked up your product and early adopted as promised. I really like it. I think you did an awesome job. its not perfect and I experienced geometry explosion on some hair products, but it could a weight map adjustment may fix that or a different setting. I bought your product because I believe in its purpose and its role as a pioneer product for dForce and that later this will evolve into something bigger and improve over time. I am happy to support your efforts and have purchased your product.

I hope you receieve a return on investment for your hard work and that incentivizes you to continue and improve this technology.

Best wishes, jaxprog

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited December 2017

It will be nice to have description, what different presets will do, because the simulations take so long time to complete.

I have test run it with https://www.daz3d.com/voss-hair-for-genesis-3-8-female-s on Charlotte 8.

Total Simulation Time: 1 hour 33 minutes 17.72 seconds

Charlotte23pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 436K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Really interested in this. I'd rather not get it unless I'm fairly sure I'll be keeping it; I hate buying just to try.

Anyone got it who has VWD? I would be interested in the differences.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    Artini said:

Is this a typical time? surprise 

• colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407
    edited December 2017

Uh, are there any instructions included in Hairforce?  Just bought it, and I have NO idea about how to apply dForce to hair at all.  Or really, anything about dForce.  Yes, I'm ignorant.

Post edited by colinmac2 on
  • colinmac2 said:

Uh, are there any instructions included in Hairforce?  Just bought it, and I have NO idea about how to apply dForce to hair at all.  Or really, anything about dForce.  Yes, I'm ignorant.

I haven't bought it yet, but plan to. According to creator EcVh0:

The presets should be under "dForce Preset" directory and you should be able to find one single PDF tutorial under "ReadMe" named dForce Hair Simulation Preset - Tutorial

If you can't find either, I think something might be wrong with the download and it's better to contact support about it smiley

Hope this information helps

• Found the presents, but no Readme, contacting support.  THANKS!

• OK, I found the Readme.  My problem remains: dForce doesn't seem to do a blessed thing to, for instance, Marigold hairstyle.  Or Ashley hairstyle.  Or any clothing.

edited December 2017
    Ati said:
    Artini said:

It was just one attempt, that look promising at the beginning, but at the end, I do not like the results.

The simulation was done on CPU ( i7 3.4 GHz) - will try to run next ones on GPU (GTX 1080), just to compare the speed.

There are tons of presets included with the product, but no descriptions of them.

The icons looks very similar to me (if not identical) and the presets are just short name + number.

Also name like "Normal hair" does not tell me so much.

That's why I ask for the description of every preset included.

Post edited by Artini on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    colinmac2 said:

OK, I found the Readme.  My problem remains: dForce doesn't seem to do a blessed thing to, for instance, Marigold hairstyle.  Or Ashley hairstyle.  Or any clothing.

Make sure that you're running DS 4.10 rather than any of the other versions, have downloaded and installed the DForce essentials addon, and have gone through one of the two update methods described in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/212516/some-kind-of-update-script-we-were-supposed-to-run-after-install-ds-4-10 ;

You will also want to go to windows, open up the simulation pane, and click simulate if you want to get DForce to do its thing.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

this looks really interesting.  but--especially since there don't seem to be any descriptions of the presets in the product, as Artini points out--i'm reluctant to shell out for it without at least taking a look at the manual first. 

any chance of a direct link to the manual?  i checked the readme page, where such are often found, and didn't see anything.  sounds like a lot of people who've bought the product might appreciate that as well.

j

• Okay... Purhased - Downloaded... coudln't find anything in my 'Smart Content' - Found this thread...  Found the Read Me /Tutorial... Tried to follow all the steps.. images shown in the tutorial for each step of course don't match what happens on my screen... None of the icons shown in the Read Me for the options don't match. I don't even have a 'pose based' option in the content library, unless I'm looking in the wrong place? ... But I think I was doing it right... I hit 'Simulate' and it tells me I have 'No Open CL Engine' whatever that means and I'm done, no simulation, no cool hair poses.  Just everything exactly as it was before I tried to apply this.  I admit this is my first time trying somehting with 'D-Force' and so far... I'm just really frustrated.  

Can anyone help me figure out what my DAZ is doing?  Or better yet, why it's NOT doing?   

Thanks...

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    Artini said:
    There are tons of presets included with the product, but no descriptions of them.

The icons looks very similar to me (if not identical) and the presets are just short name + number.

Also name like "Normal hair" does not tell me so much.

That's why I ask for the description of every preset included.

I will put up a better description here later today, hopefully it helps smiley

Artini said:
    Ati said:
    Artini said:

It was just one attempt, that look promising at the beginning, but at the end, I do not like the results.

The simulation was done on CPU ( i7 3.4 GHz) - will try to run next ones on GPU (GTX 1080), just to compare the speed.

GPU usually tends to be lot faster, my average on a 1080Ti is around 5 minutes (Alsot depends on the hair and the settings you use)

If you find the simulation goes from good looking to not so good in the end, terminate the simulation in the middle smiley

In the end it is not a perfect hair simulation engine so it is pretty much a big adaptation from the cloth engine they have

Artini said:

It will be nice to have description, what different presets will do, because the simulations take so long time to complete.

I have test run it with https://www.daz3d.com/voss-hair-for-genesis-3-8-female-s on Charlotte 8.

Somehow it took so long for you! are you using CPU on simulation? surprise

If you are simulating from "memorized pose" (the one that moves from A pose to your pose), adding some weightmapping could help with getting rid of some poke through on scalp wink

Okay... Purhased - Downloaded... coudln't find anything in my 'Smart Content' - Found this thread...  Found the Read Me /Tutorial... Tried to follow all the steps.. images shown in the tutorial for each step of course don't match what happens on my screen... None of the icons shown in the Read Me for the options don't match. I don't even have a 'pose based' option in the content library, unless I'm looking in the wrong place? ... But I think I was doing it right... I hit 'Simulate' and it tells me I have 'No Open CL Engine' whatever that means and I'm done, no simulation, no cool hair poses.  Just everything exactly as it was before I tried to apply this.  I admit this is my first time trying somehting with 'D-Force' and so far... I'm just really frustrated.  

Can anyone help me figure out what my DAZ is doing?  Or better yet, why it's NOT doing?   

Thanks...

You couldn't find "dForce preset" folder in your content library root folder? If you have DAZ previously open a refresh might help (or just close and open daz)

And are you using daz 4.10? Simulations are only possible with daz studios that are 4.10 or higher frown

Ati said:
    Artini said:

This sounds like a typical time for CPU simulations, where GPUs should be much faster :)

marth.e said:

Wow, this looks awesome and it was a very needed feature in Daz. Does it work on any hair? Or for it to work the hair has to comply with certain characteristics?

Martha E.

Thank you, unfortunately like the almight dForce it does not work on all hairs, but it should be able to work on lots of hairs that are properly welded/with all strands joining the scalp, weightmapping is needed for any animations you want to do with the hair smiley

I will be putting up a database from everyone here so you get to see the list of hair it works with wink

• EcVh0 said:

Okay... Purhased - Downloaded... coudln't find anything in my 'Smart Content' - Found this thread...  Found the Read Me /Tutorial... Tried to follow all the steps.. images shown in the tutorial for each step of course don't match what happens on my screen... None of the icons shown in the Read Me for the options don't match. I don't even have a 'pose based' option in the content library, unless I'm looking in the wrong place? ... But I think I was doing it right... I hit 'Simulate' and it tells me I have 'No Open CL Engine' whatever that means and I'm done, no simulation, no cool hair poses.  Just everything exactly as it was before I tried to apply this.  I admit this is my first time trying somehting with 'D-Force' and so far... I'm just really frustrated.  

Thanks...

You couldn't find "dForce preset" folder in your content library root folder? If you have DAZ previously open a refresh might help (or just close and open daz)

And are you using daz 4.10? Simulations are only possible with daz studios that are 4.10 or higher frown

My folder reads like this: In 'Content Library Tab' - DAZ FOLDER -  dForce Presets - EcVho dForce Master - Hair dForce Presets - Combined and Puffy, Extra Options, Messy and Wind, Normal, Simulation Settings, Special, Wet.

Yes, I am using Daz 4.10 Pro.  

• jp_projectjp_project Posts: 4
    edited December 2017

Purchased yesterday and having some success using the presets.

Today I've tried running through the read me and applying a dForce Modifier Weight node to Leyton Hair on a G2 figure to try and fix up some hair falling through the forehead.

Instructions are crystal clear except for the last one which is stumping me......I can't paint anything grey or blue, how do you do this??

I've checked the procedure carefully and made sure everything that was selected in the screenshots was selected in Daz.

I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

But great product, I've been waiting for things like this to start happening with Daz3D  ;)

Cheers!

Post edited by jp_project on
  • missuskissesmissuskisses Posts: 918
    edited December 2017

Thanks...

Have you been otherwise using dforce on clothing without problem? If you're using dforce for the first time, the "No Open CL Engine" could mean: (copied from another thread)

From  the Start Here thread:

Are there any dependencies that I need to be aware of?

Yes, there is. The dForce engine utilizes OpenCL 1.2 to perform simulations. If you do not have a driver already installed that supports at least OpenCL 1.2, you will need to install one. The more recent driver packages from NVIDIA and AMD typically include a suitable driver. In the case of older cards (e.g., GTS 250), the NVIDIA drivers do not support OpenCL 1.2 and so the driver for the CPU must be installed:

Intel GPU/CPU Driver Packages

Intel CPU-only Runtime Packages

You may want to install the CPU driver anyway if you want/need to be able to use your CPU for running simulations.

Even though my video card was fairly new, I still had to install this before using dforce.

Post edited by missuskisses on
    EcVh0 said:

Thanks...

My folder reads like this: In 'Content Library Tab' - DAZ FOLDER -  dForce Presets - EcVho dForce Master - Hair dForce Presets - Combined and Puffy, Extra Options, Messy and Wind, Normal, Simulation Settings, Special, Wet.

Yes, I am using Daz 4.10 Pro.  

Ah! Apologies for that the "pose based" folder was removed and replaced with all the options you see in the folder right now, but the whole concept is still the same

'No Open CL Engine' - seems like there is some problem compiling the dforce engine itself, have you done dForce clothing simulations before? Does it work as intended? You might need to update your OpenCL library on your computer or something like that...

Thanks...

Have you been otherwise using dforce on clothing without problem? If you're using dforce for the first time, the "No Open CL Engine" could mean: (copied from another thread)

From  the Start Here thread:

Are there any dependencies that I need to be aware of?

Yes, there is. The dForce engine utilizes OpenCL 1.2 to perform simulations. If you do not have a driver already installed that supports at least OpenCL 1.2, you will need to install one. The more recent driver packages from NVIDIA and AMD typically include a suitable driver. In the case of older cards (e.g., GTS 250), the NVIDIA drivers do not support OpenCL 1.2 and so the driver for the CPU must be installed:

Intel GPU/CPU Driver Packages

Intel CPU-only Runtime Packages

You may want to install the CPU driver anyway if you want/need to be able to use your CPU for running simulations.

Even though my video card was fairly new, I still had to install this before using dforce.

HEEEEYYYY! You are fast! laugh

edited December 2017

Today I've tried running through the read me and applying a dForce Modifier Weight node to Leyton Hair on a G2 figure to try and fix up some hair falling through the forehead.

Instructions are crystal clear except for the last one which is stumping me......I can't paint anything grey or blue, how do you do this??

I've checked the procedure carefully and made sure everything that was selected in the screenshots was selected in Daz.

But great product, I've been waiting for things like this to start happening with Daz3D  ;)

Cheers!

Thank you!

So first, you need to select the hair you are working on, make sure the dForce dynamic surface is applied.

Then you go to "Create" on your top left corner and select "New dForce Modifier Weight Node".

With that done, you should be able to see a "dForce Modifier Weight Node 1" object in your Scene Tab, select the object and open up "Tool Settings" Tab (You can find that under "Windows - Pane(Tabs) - Tool Settings")

In tool settings, change the active tool (you should be able to see that on top of that tab) to "Node Weight Map Brush" and you should be able to see the entire tab changing into things like: Masks, Sensitivity etc

At the bottom half of the tab, you should be able to locate something called: "Unused Maps" under Weight Maps subtab, and with the modifer object selected, you should be able to see a selection called "dForce Simulation: Influence Weights"

Add that map and you should be able to see the entire hair changing into full red and you should be able to paint from now on :)

EDIT: I just realized how you mentioned you can't paint anything blue or grey, try holding ALT while you are on "P" mode (the one with paint and P next to it) then paint on the red area, should be able to work :)

And if you want to have a perfect gradient, use the pole looking icon (directional gradient mode) and place the yellow one on top of the hair and red one somewhere halfway to the bottom of the hair

Let me know which step you couldn't recreate the things above so I can help you where you got lost laugh

Post edited by EcVh0 on
  • EcVh0 said:

I just had the same error when I was trying out dforce on beta!  smiley

EcVh0 said:

I was lucky that I never ran into any of those! Thank you for the help smiley

• EcVh0 said:
    EcVh0 said:

I was lucky that I never ran into any of those! Thank you for the help smiley

You're very welcome, and I hope it actually helps! Thanks so much for making this product. 

• EcVh0 said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

So first, you need to select the hair you are working on, make sure the dForce dynamic surface is applied.

Then you go to "Create" on your top left corner and select "New dForce Modifier Weight Node".

With that done, you should be able to see a "dForce Modifier Weight Node 1" object in your Scene Tab, select the object and open up "Tool Settings" Tab (You can find that under "Windows - Pane(Tabs) - Tool Settings")

In tool settings, change the active tool (you should be able to see that on top of that tab) to "Node Weight Map Brush" and you should be able to see the entire tab changing into things like: Masks, Sensitivity etc

At the bottom half of the tab, you should be able to locate something called: "Unused Maps" under Weight Maps subtab, and with the modifer object selected, you should be able to see a selection called "dForce Simulation: Influence Weights"

Add that map and you should be able to see the entire hair changing into full red and you should be able to paint from now on :)

EDIT: I just realized how you mentioned you can't paint anything blue or grey, try holding ALT while you are on "P" mode (the one with paint and P next to it) then paint on the red area, should be able to work :)

And if you want to have a perfect gradient, use the pole looking icon (directional gradient mode) and place the yellow one on top of the hair and red one somewhere halfway to the bottom of the hair

Let me know which step you couldn't recreate the things above so I can help you where you got lost laugh

Thanks for the quick response greatly appreciated.

I knew it would be something simple......Hold the Alt key.  And fiddling with the weight display and brush sensitivity I now see blue and grey.

Thanks heaps, and thanks for the gradient tool tip ;)

EcVh0 said:

Cheers!

Thank you!

Thanks for the quick response greatly appreciated.

I knew it would be something simple......Hold the Alt key.  And fiddling with the weight display and brush sensitivity I now see blue and grey.

Thanks heaps, and thanks for the gradient tool tip ;)

No problem ;) Happy hairForcing wink

edited December 2017

Thanks for the tips, EcVh0, and I am waiting for more.

I have realized, how complex this product is and that there are no definitive answers.

On GPU (GTX 1080), simulations are much faster, but I could not see much movement of the hair after the simulation was done.

Could you please post some example scene settings, preferably from one of your demo scenes,

where one can actually see smooth movement of the hair, like in your promo images.

Anyhow, below is the render of my another simulation.

Adalyn hair on Chastity.

https://www.daz3d.com/adalyn-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-chastity-hd-for-genesis-3-female

Total Simulation Time: 16 minutes 8.94 seconds

and the one with simulation cleared, for the comparison.

AdalynHair01pic04.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 268K
    AdalynHair01pic05clear.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 288K
    Post edited by Artini on