JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

An experiment with low light levels in Vue - mostly from the candle (borrowed from the Baroque set) and a little from the Aslan Court lights. It has a smoky atmosphere as I'd imagine only having candles would do that. Figures are low-poly using Decimator. Furniture from Faveral's medieval sets.

Madrigals

madrigals.jpg
    696 x 465 - 64K
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

So, I bought Aslan Court a while back and was struggling to come up with something to use it for. I'm a terrible stickler for trying to keep all of my images unique in some way rather than rinse-repeating the same stuff, the only exceptions to which being do-overs of older images I was less than perfectly happy with.

Anyway, Aslan Court is huge. I could fit a family of dragons in there and they would still have enough room to breed and form a small colony. My mind was dreaming up ways I could use this magnificent set whilst still trying to keep up the theme of doing something I hadn't done ten times before. It wasn't until I recently picked up Miss Fisher's Wardrobe 'Fabulous Dress' that this came to me. The dress comes with a series of poses, including dance poses for both male and female. Having recently picked up David 5 and thinking that Aslan Court would make the perfect dance floor, this is the result.

I'm rather pleased with the final results. Now I don't need to use the court as a breeding ground for dragons. Speaking of which, if you know anyone who could give a home to four baby dragons and a house trained mama dragon, drop me a PM. Dragonslayers need not apply.

Very cool HoF.. AC does seem to lend itself quite well to ballroom scenes.

Nice work! :)

edited December 1969

Baglet said:
    An experiment with low light levels in Vue - mostly from the candle (borrowed from the Baroque set) and a little from the Aslan Court lights. It has a smoky atmosphere as I'd imagine only having candles would do that. Figures are low-poly using Decimator. Furniture from Faveral's medieval sets.

Madrigals

Looks pretty atmospheric... nice :)

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2013

My latest PCI entry, using Jack's Dubious Pub & Dubious Bank -- and I seem to have rendered a bald wizard in a cap. :lol: DS4.5Pro/3Delight render, postwork in GIMP. Also up in my deviantART gallery here.

Wizard Duel -- the Bell Toll

PCI20130507-WizardDuelBellToll-x2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited December 1969

My latest PCI entry, using Jack's Dubious Pub & Dubious Bank -- and I seem to have rendered a bald wizard in a cap. :lol: DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMP.

Wizard Duel -- the Bell Toll

Nice.. lol, can a bald wizard wear a cap.. or is that against BWC rules. Care to clarify Totte? ;)

edited December 1969

No love for the JAS now? ;)

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Here you go:

05.jpg
    800 x 800 - 151K
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Here you go:

Nice, thanks!

What's going to be happening in there?

edited May 2013

Donno, was just an exercise actually, but the image was one of a school room after everyone had gone home for the day :)

(Bare install of DS and the single prop. No pixels were harmed in the filming.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Donno, was just an exercise actually, but the image was one of a school room after everyone had gone home for the day :)

(Bare install of DS and the single prop. No pixels were harmed in the filming.)

Nice.. :D

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

..ran into a couple issues.

First, working on a scene using Disconsolation, I notice that the base of the shelters look odd in the final render as if the shaders are badly pixelated. I tried using both the preview light, standard Daz lights, and UE and get the same result. The rest of the textures look fine.

Second, when I try to load Parkside Head, I find all the icons are labelled "Scene" and when I double click on one 4.5 asks me if I want to save changes to the current scene before closing it. I don't remember seeing this when I still had it on the old 32 bit machine. The same shows up in PH Interior on the "Pre_Int Rubble" and "Pre_Interior" icons.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Second, when I try to load Parkside Head, I find all the icons are labelled "Scene" and when I double click on one 4.5 asks me if I want to save changes to the current scene before closing it. I don't remember seeing this when I still had it on the old 32 bit machine. The same shows up in PH Interior on the "Pre_Int Rubble" and "Pre_Interior" icons.

Right-click and choose Merge.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Second, when I try to load Parkside Head, I find all the icons are labelled "Scene" and when I double click on one 4.5 asks me if I want to save changes to the current scene before closing it.

I came across this in another thread and asked about it. They're .duf scenes, right? They were saved as scenes instead of scene subsets — this is apparently the way D|S4.5 works by default now unless you right-click. A bit like the old Poser Library method of loading a figure by clicking on the "tick" button (delete scene and load) or the "tick-tick" button (merge into scene).
    edited December 1969

...when I used it in the scene below which was done in 3Advanced, I didn't have to so that.

I just ran a quick experiment with Studio3Advanced loading a figure first, then Parkside Head and it loaded normally without asking me to save my scene first.

In 4.5 I'm loading it from the same location (Poser Formats/Studio3/Figures) where 3Advanced loads it from. Odd that 4.5 would treat it as a full scene rather than just a prop or set.

I just looked at it in my product library and it apparently has been revised as there now are both .trx and .dpc installers. In my archive (where I installed it from) there is only the .dpc one.

Im_home.jpg
    800 x 800 - 422K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Second, when I try to load Parkside Head, I find all the icons are labelled "Scene" and when I double click on one 4.5 asks me if I want to save changes to the current scene before closing it.

I came across this in another thread and asked about it. They're .duf scenes, right? They were saved as scenes instead of scene subsets — this is apparently the way D|S4.5 works by default now unless you right-click. A bit like the old Poser Library method of loading a figure by clicking on the "tick" button (delete scene and load) or the "tick-tick" button (merge into scene).
    ...I never used it in 4.5 yet as when the "save" message first appeared, I cancelled the action so it never was loaded.

If the file is still a .dsa (I believe that is the right format), it should remain so until is is is actually saved as part of a scene in 4.5. Otherwise 3Advanced would not be able to load it since the older version cannot read .duf files.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..ran into a couple issues.

First, working on a scene using Disconsolation, I notice that the base of the shelters look odd in the final render as if the shaders are badly pixelated. I tried using both the preview light, standard Daz lights, and UE and get the same result. The rest of the textures look fine.

Do you have a screenshot of the Shelter? I'm not seeing the same thing here (at least not that I can see)

And yea, like its been said you need to right-click and merge in 4.5.

edited December 1969

...I'll have to transfer that over from the other system. Give me a few minutes as It's in the middle of a render.

edited December 1969

...OK, here is what I am seeing. The section outlined in the red box just looks like something is amiss. I tried different light, surface, and occlusion sample settings as well as lighting angles but nothing seemed to work. I understand that the textures are supposed to look a bit worn and weatherbeaten, but lighter spots on this section are not as irregular or random looking as the weathering effects on the rest of the shelter's structure.

texture_issue.jpg
    359 x 448 - 109K
    edited December 1969

Hmm yea, it appears to be worse when you load just the cr2.. if you then apply the DS mats, the issue is not as apparent. No idea what's up with it but I'll have a look into it and get it sorted :)

edited December 1969

...thanks. I'll rotate it and see if the other side looks better since it is symmetric.

edited December 1969

Turns out there were some duplicate polys in the base.. so it's all cleaned up and the fix has been sent in. :)

edited December 1969

...thanks. So when it's ready all I'll have to do is Dl and reinstall then. It is such a lovely set and I have a wonderful idea in mind with it.

edited May 2013

Do we have any idea when the East Park (and West Park Lobby/Corridor) series will be updated? The .daz files in those aren't finding files when one has a non default runtime and being binary I can't fix it on this end.

[Edit] It appears many of these were updated but are not being installed by the DIM. I have the updated files from a previous manual download. It is disconcerting that the DIM is not downloading the latest files in some cases.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited December 1969

Master of the Hall

Used Anderson Hall

Posted this in the Members PC Contest, but thought I'd share here too since it shows Jack's amazing Anderson Hall. Finally ported it to 3ds Max - rendered with Mental Ray.

Master.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 106K
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Jack needs to see this... (model ideas) http://www.terrafugia.com/

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Do we have any idea when the East Park (and West Park Lobby/Corridor) series will be updated? The .daz files in those aren't finding files when one has a non default runtime and being binary I can't fix it on this end.

[Edit] It appears many of these were updated but are not being installed by the DIM. I have the updated files from a previous manual download. It is disconcerting that the DIM is not downloading the latest files in some cases.

I've had Jen check the DIM files (most recently the Parkside High ones) and she tells me that they are all up to date. If the files aren't showing up, it would be worth just checking the actual zip too, in case it's an issue with the content library side of things.

edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    Master of the Hall

Used Anderson Hall

Posted this in the Members PC Contest, but thought I'd share here too since it shows Jack's amazing Anderson Hall. Finally ported it to 3ds Max - rendered with Mental Ray.

Nice work :)

edited December 1969

Heh thanks, though to be honest it's no ideas I'm running low on.. it's time to make it all :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Heh thanks, though to be honest it's no ideas I'm running low on.. it's time to make it all :)

You need to level up and learn time stop, a very useful spell for times like that ;-)

This discussion has been closed.