JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

..I've had Jen check the DIM files (most recently the Parkside High ones) and she tells me that they are all up to date. If the files aren't showing up, it would be worth just checking the actual zip too, in case it's an issue with the content library side of things.

The zip files work fine for me. It was the DIM that consistently downloads the older files. Perhaps others can test this and see what they are getting. The specific items in question are East Park, East Park Ward, East Park Lobby, and West Park Lobby. Hopefully I've got them all right, but I could be wrong on an item as I've already fixed my versions. Just to clarify, I've tested these multiple times before I mentioned it and am getting consistent broke results with the DIM.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited May 2013

West Park Lobby is in .daz format, not .duf, so if East Park Lobby is using .duf, the scene files won't work.

ETA: The installer version has been updated to .duf, the DIM version has not.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited December 1969

When I manually download the files, I get .duf West Park Lobby and East Park Lobby. That is my point, if you are getting them through the DIM, they will be .daz but they are not the most recent.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, I'm agreeing with you, the DIM zips don't match the installer versions.

edited December 1969

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding and ty for taking the time to test :)

• JGreenleesJGreenlees Posts: 2,249
    edited December 1969

I am getting this sorted.

East park Lobby, East park Ward, east park haven't been updated yet. I am working on the conversions and hope to have them done this week. (Jen has been super busy but I am working on them) the rest should all have DS, Ps and legacy versions. I will check them to make sure the right files are there today and sort it out if they aren't.

Thank you for your patience with me
    Jen

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited May 2013

Gedd said:
    Do we have any idea when the East Park (and West Park Lobby/Corridor) series will be updated? The .daz files in those aren't finding files when one has a non default runtime and being binary I can't fix it on this end.

[Edit] It appears many of these were updated but are not being installed by the DIM. I have the updated files from a previous manual download. It is disconcerting that the DIM is not downloading the latest files in some cases.

I've had Jen check the DIM files (most recently the Parkside High ones) and she tells me that they are all up to date. If the files aren't showing up, it would be worth just checking the actual zip too, in case it's an issue with the content library side of things.
    ...I've been getting missing geometry errors when trying to load West Park sets as well. I'm pretty sure I have all the basic required sets.

West Park
    West Park Legacy
    West Park Lobby
    West Park Basement
    West Park Morgue
    West Park Ward
    West Park Ablutions
    Vintage for West Park Ablutions

All save for Abolutions and Vintage for Abolutions were installed using the original Daz/Poser .exes from my content archive.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited May 2013

Gedd said:

West Park
    West Park Legacy
    West Park Lobby
    West Park Basement
    West Park Morgue
    West Park Ward
    West Park Ablutions
    Vintage for West Park Ablutions

In Dim I have DS, Ps and Legacy files for
    West park
    West park Legacy
    West park Basement
    West park Ward

I am investigating the others at the moment as they have been updated but the DIM files aren't coming down right.
    I promise I will get this situated

Jen

Post edited by JGreenlees on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,889
    edited December 1969

Didn't you update City Roads to deal with the floating lampposts (if I can slip a non-Jack item in)? The DIM version still as them, and doesn't have an updated version since I downloaded it.

edited December 1969

Thank you Jen :)

edited December 1969

Didn't you update City Roads to deal with the floating lampposts (if I can slip a non-Jack item in)? The DIM version still as them, and doesn't have an updated version since I downloaded it.

West park is in the process of being fixed. Will let you know when it is.

I will download city roads and take a look.

Jen

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,127
    edited December 1969

West park is in the process of being fixed. Will let you know when it is.

I will download city roads and take a look.

Jen

Cheers Jen, appreciate the hard work as always :)

Where are the renders at!?!?? this thread is fast becoming far too informative :lol:

edited May 2013

....loaded in Aslan Court, the lights, & rendered.

Yoiks, the ceiling lights are bright. Turned them down and rendering again.

edited December 1969

West park should be fixed please let me know if you find one that is still not working. They all should have DS, Ps, and Legacy installer.

edited May 2013

...so I guess I'll have to Download everything (except West Park Abolutions) again and reinstall it?

Guess I better head over to the Hotspot today before this "Big Installer Change" which is supposed to occur tomorrow. Considering what we've been dealing with on the store site/forums for the last year, just a bit apprehensive about this "next big thing".

edited December 1969

Well if you want metadata and the duf and data files yeah, unless you have installed from the exe, or mac zips then you don't have to.

edited December 1969

...I used the original installers from when the items were released and have been getting a lot of "Missing Geometry" errors when I try to load some components even though the icons for them are there. Won't cost me anything but a little time to download and reinstall again, and if it cures the errors, it will be worth it.

edited May 2013

..OK dialed the ceiling lights down to 120% and looks much better (the entire centre area of the floor was white in the first render try).

Defintely the longest render time yet on the new system, however I upped the sample rate of the ceiling lights to 64 (to get rid of jagged edges on the figures) which along with a total of 24 Uber Sphere lights (& one linear point light to add a bit of "fill" on their faces), a shading rate of .2, and all that lovely reflectivity (which would have slagged my old system) took a "whopping" 2 hrs and 42 min.

Then I saw a few small issues with the figure poses so I have to go in ad fix them (will do that later) as well as soften the corridor lights a bit as well. Still very impressed with how it came out.

..and just to check things I put my hand by the CPU cooler fan while it was rendering and noticed the system wasn't even breaking a sweat.

sweeties.jpg
    900 x 900 - 668K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..OK dialed the ceiling lights down to 120% and looks much better (the entire centre area of the floor was white in the first render try).

Defintely the longest render time yet on the new system, however I upped the sample rate of the ceiling lights to 64 (to get rid of jagged edges on the figures) which along with a total of 24 Uber Sphere lights (& one linear point light to add a bit of "fill" on their faces), a shading rate of .2, and all that lovely reflectivity (which would have slagged my old system) took a "whopping" 2 hrs and 42 min.

Then I saw a few small issues with the figure poses so I have to go in ad fix them (will do that later) as well as soften the corridor lights a bit as well. Still very impressed with how it came out.

..and just to check things I put my hand by the CPU cooler fan while it was rendering and noticed the system wasn't even breaking a sweat.

Looking good!

No idea why the scene lights are loading so bright for you, but glad to see you dialed it down a bit.. :)

edited May 2013

...doing another render with the rest of the lights toned down.

When I loaded the lights in, the ceiling lights came in at 500% intensity (reduced those to 120%), and the area lights in the corridors at 250% and 1,400% (reduced those to 150%). Also increased the sampling rate for all lights to 64 which really sharpens the detail and lowered shading rate to 0.20.

Currently 90% after 3 hrs. (900 x 900). System running a cool as a cucumber.

Feel like I'm in uncharted territory as I've never let a render run this long on the notebook for fear of cooking it to death.

-----

...OK after 3hr:16min, here it is.

bestest_friends.jpg
    900 x 900 - 605K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited May 2013

Hmm, I've done a few quick test renders since installing of Aslan Court plus a few figures, and they all seemed to be severely washed out as well (especially the shiny floor). I was only doing quick see-what-they-look-like tests, though, so I never checked the light values. Have to try again with the lights turned down a bit, when I have the spare time for those long renders.

BTW, that last render with the two kids looks great. Pretty much got their morphs right now, have you?

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

..yes, thanks to Thorne/Homespun Studios who released the merchant resource morph packs. the girls look like the way I always envisioned them.

...and Aslan court has become part of the Grande Estate. Lady Meg and her late husband Lord Reg always had a thing for the historic. Her natural daughter Margo was in line to take over the curator position for the Egyptian wing at the Museum of Antiquity.

edited December 1969

Hmm, I've done a few quick test renders since installing of Aslan Court plus a few figures, and they all seemed to be severely washed out as well (especially the shiny floor). I was only doing quick see-what-they-look-like tests, though, so I never checked the light values. Have to try again with the lights turned down a bit, when I have the spare time for those long renders.

BTW, that last render with the two kids looks great. Pretty much got their morphs right now, have you?

That's really weird, it should be rendering out like the promo images, that kinda brightness... will have to take another look when I get the chance in case something got messed up.

edited December 1969

Ok, I loaded up DS4.5, the preload, and the lights, hit render and this is what I get..

light_test.jpg
    650 x 500 - 283K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...doing another render with the rest of the lights toned down.

Nice render. I haven't had a chance to load Aslan up and play with it . . . yet . . . but I like the way this came out.

As for the long render times, yes the reflections will do that. I had my longest ever render a few months ago when I was testing The Alcove for ARTCollaborations with the included AOIBL lights. Just under 3 hours in DS 3A, but boy did it look good when it was done. I toned down the settings in DS 4A (hadn't upgraded to DS 4P at that point), and it only took a little over 1/2 hour. Big difference, but it still looked good. I have to learn to use lower settings when testing, and leave the higher settings for when I'm ready for a final render. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Ok, I loaded up DS4.5, the preload, and the lights, hit render and this is what I get..

...when I did the first render after loading the lights, the floor in the centre was so brightly lit it was white. I don't think it had too with the Linear point light I added to gove some fill light to their faces since it was very localised and the outer falloff sphere didn't even reach the floor.

That looks a lot closer like my last post after I turned them down.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Just did the same again, and added a couple of figures standing in the middle to see what the floor reflections look like. It's coming out a bit better this time, I think, the roof isn't nearly as bright as the last time I tried. Not sure about the walls and floor, it's been nearly two and a half hours so far and only 25% done. Might have to wait until tomorrow until I've got a pic to post.

Come to think of it, was I using the legacy files in D|S3 the last time? Not sure, maybe that could have caused a light glitch?

edited December 1969

Just did the same again, and added a couple of figures standing in the middle to see what the floor reflections look like. It's coming out a bit better this time, I think, the roof isn't nearly as bright as the last time I tried. Not sure about the walls and floor, it's been nearly two and a half hours so far and only 25% done. Might have to wait until tomorrow until I've got a pic to post.

Come to think of it, was I using the legacy files in D|S3 the last time? Not sure, maybe that could have caused a light glitch?

Hmm I don't know tbh.. I just checked DS3, and that all renders ok, and I even tried the DS3 lights in DS4.. and that renders fine too.. so colour me confused :D

edited December 1969

...well it's nothing incredibly critical as the intensity can be adjusted though it did take a bit of time to change the settings on all the lights.

The other issue is most GPUs cannot display more than 8 lights in OpenGL mode and UberLights don't act the same as the regular Daz lights in the viewport (they always look overly bright no matter what adjustments are made) so one has to perform test or spot renders to see if things look right.

Never seen lights load in that "hot".

Jack, can you check the intensity settings for the three light groups after you load them?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well it's nothing incredibly critical as the intensity can be adjusted though it did take a bit of time to change the settings on all the lights.

The other issue is most GPUs cannot display more than 8 lights in OpenGL mode and UberLights don't act the same as the regular Daz lights in the viewport (they always look overly bright no matter what adjustments are made) so one has to perform test or spot renders to see if things look right.

Never seen lights load in that "hot".

Jack, can you check the intensity settings for the three light groups after you load them?

Yea, they are all the same as you quoted earlier.. 500/250/1400.. which gives the render results as I posted earlier.. Can you try posting a render when you get a sec, just the plain preload, lights and thats it.. and we'll see how it looks your end.

This discussion has been closed.