Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    Artini said:

... and then after applying some filters in PD Howler:

Pretty wild.

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018

@tkdrobert @magicjava Just so ya'll know, there is a better version of the Geometry Shell Outline shader available for free in the official Visual Style/Manga Style topic (first post).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/manga-style-visual-style-topic-update-sept-23rd-2017-fixed-dropbox-links-commercial/p1

Thanks again. :)

Post edited by magicjava on

@magicjava Nice! If I may make a small suggestion? I would highly recommend setting the eyes to use 100% White Ambient to remove the shading. It would really sell the anime look. :D

Let me know when you are having another sale.  wink

• tkdrobert said:

@tkdrobert @magicjava Just so ya'll know, there is a better version of the Geometry Shell Outline shader available for free in the official Visual Style/Manga Style topic (first post).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/manga-style-visual-style-topic-update-sept-23rd-2017-fixed-dropbox-links-commercial/p1

Of course, it's the product I don't have.

Don't worry! Like I said, the Geometry Shell Outline is free now and has been for a while! :D

tkdrobert said:

Don't worry! Like I said, the Geometry Shell Outline is free now and has been for a while! :D

Oh, I thought I needed MSS.  DOH!  Cool thank you.

edited January 2018
    tkdrobert said:

Can't beat free, so I downloaded it and gave it a try. Looks great!

Edit: Redid the drawing with outlines for the sleeves turned on.

Sample.png
    935 x 742 - 358K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2018

Wow you guys move fast!  Some really interesting stuff here.  Wish I had a bit more time to explore it further.  Will have to squeeze it in when I get the chance.  In the meantime I'm trying to bookmark lol.

I have done a couple more, mostly just playing with layers, modes and filters. This is one of them, I can't post the other until its been released. I didn't realize how much I like the old fashioned photo look. If I had known that I was going to end up with this look I may have added a bit of fill light to the left to help separate her clothes.

Addicted to Hot Again Poses.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 642K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    magicjava said:
    tkdrobert said:

Can't beat free, so I downloaded it and gave it a try. Looks great!

Edit: Redid the drawing with outlines for the sleeves turned on.

yes  Yeah I'm going to download and try out when I get home.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787
    edited January 2018

Thanks, tkdrobert. I like PD Howler very much - have not explored all of the goodies included in it, yet.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

@artini the 4th and 5th filters look the best to me.  Very good job of outlining.

tkdrobert said:

@TheNathanParable and @magicjava, I tried out the outline and I'm still having issue with it being dark.  The 1st image is with and the 2nd is without.   I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly.

Outline test.png
    700 x 875 - 386K
    Outline test 2.png
    700 x 875 - 433K

Shadows are turned on in the parameters tab for the geoshells.

• Did you read the help guide included with the freebie? The issues comes from the fact that the Geometry Shell Outline is technically an additional mesh surrounding the model, so the ambient occlusion is responding to the geometry shell. If I remember correctly (it has been a while), the guide details a couple of work arounds for this based on whether you're using Visual Style or UberEnvironment.

I was able to fix it with some contrast and brightness adjustments in PS, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Outline test2 by tkdrobert

@TheNathanParable,   Yes I've read it several times.  Maybe I'm an idiot.  I did make sure the shadows are on.

Capture.PNG
    555 x 530 - 135K

Did you read the help guide included with the freebie? The issues comes from the fact that the Geometry Shell Outline is technically an additional mesh surrounding the model, so the ambient occlusion is responding to the geometry shell. If I remember correctly (it has been a while), the guide details a couple of work arounds for this based on whether you're using Visual Style or UberEnvironment.

@TheNathanParable I think I'm confused about the color.  To get the outline to show up real nice, I have the Diffuse color and the outline color as Black.  When I set the Diffuse color to while the render is no longer dark but I don't see the outline.

edited January 2018

@TheNathanParable and @magicjava, I tried out the outline and I'm still having issue with it being dark.  The 1st image is with and the 2nd is without.   I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly.

I just use the tool on its default setting (because I like the look), so I can't help much with debugging. 

All I can suggest is to start a new scene with only one figure and try adding an outline to that. Don't add lights, don't add clothes or hair, don't change settings. If it works, add complexity to the scene one step at a time.

Good luck! :)

• tkdrobert said:

@TheNathanParable,   Yes I've read it several times.  Maybe I'm an idiot.  I did make sure the shadows are on.

To be honest, I think I did a very poor job of explaining myself back when I first wrote that. Even i'm looking at it and going "huh?". lol

If I remember correctly, that should only apply if you're using UberEnvironment. But as far as I know you're not, so that shouldn't matter?

Either way, unfortunately I can't recreate your problem for myself. I just loaded Sakura 8, covered her in one of the default Visual Style presets (Visual Skin - Pink), created a geometry shell with an offset of 0.2, applied the geometry shell shader to it without any alterations, and everything seems to be working fine. The only thing i've noticed is that turning off "Cast Shadows" on the geometry shell makes it render much quicker, but with no visible difference.

tkdrobert said:

Did you read the help guide included with the freebie? The issues comes from the fact that the Geometry Shell Outline is technically an additional mesh surrounding the model, so the ambient occlusion is responding to the geometry shell. If I remember correctly (it has been a while), the guide details a couple of work arounds for this based on whether you're using Visual Style or UberEnvironment.

@TheNathanParable I think I'm confused about the color.  To get the outline to show up real nice, I have the Diffuse color and the outline color as Black.  When I set the Diffuse color to while the render is no longer dark but I don't see the outline.

Are you sure you're applying the shader correctly? There should only be one colour property, the outline colour.

edited January 2018

OK, I put together a little demo of how to use the line shader.

Step 1. Download and Install Shader

It's in the "Freebies" section of the post at this link.

Step 2. Load an Empty Scene and a New Figure. Select the Figure.

https://i.imgur.com/4g1ru93.gifv

Step 3. Create a Geometery Shell for the Figure

https://i.imgur.com/pNFqUVy.gifv

Step 4.  Select Geometery Shell Surfaces and Apply the Geometery Shell Outline Shader

https://i.imgur.com/uGubyZC.gifv

Step 5. Render in 3Delight

https://i.imgur.com/h6Y2MPM.gifv

1-Add-Figure.gif
    1280 x 720 - 3M
    2-Add-Geometry-Shell.gif
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    3-Add-Shader.gif
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    4-Render.gif
    1280 x 720 - 3M
    edited January 2018

And here's a comparison of a figure with the outline shader to a figure without it.

In the preview, the figure with the outline shader appears darker. 

https://i.imgur.com/oNFa1ds.gifv

But in the renderer, it is not darker.

https://i.imgur.com/BsT3eIj.gifv

5-Two-Chars-Preview.gif
    1280 x 720 - 5M
    6-Two-Chars-Render.gif
    1280 x 720 - 5M

Thanks all.  I'll try again with a totally new scene.  Sometimes VSS trips out on my system and I have to reboot.  I'll try again tomorrow.

edited January 2018

OK, This one was hard and I'm still not satisfied.  I feel like I should've done a more dynamic pose.   I painted the background using a 3D hawk as a guide.

Phoenix: Jean Grey by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    edited January 2018

tkdrobert said:

OK, This one was hard and I'm still not satisfied.  I feel like I should've done a more dynamic pose.   I painted the background using a 3D hawk as a guide.

Phoenix: Jean Grey by tkdrobert

Looks great! Congratulations! 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Enchanted Forest.

The outliner I'm working on outputs white lines on black. Normally I invert it, but I thought it looked cool this way. Ran it through Photoshop's oil filter to make the lines a little more fluid.

Forest.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 368K
    edited January 2018

Wow you guys move fast!  Some really interesting stuff here.  Wish I had a bit more time to explore it further.  Will have to squeeze it in when I get the chance.  In the meantime I'm trying to bookmark lol.

I have done a couple more, mostly just playing with layers, modes and filters. This is one of them, I can't post the other until its been released. I didn't realize how much I like the old fashioned photo look. If I had known that I was going to end up with this look I may have added a bit of fill light to the left to help separate her clothes.

The only reason I didn't say anything earlier is because this isn't non-photorealistic. But I just had to comment on how beautiful it is. I also checked out your gallery. Very impressive.

edited January 2018
    Oso3D said:

Enchanted Forest.

The outliner I'm working on outputs white lines on black. Normally I invert it, but I thought it looked cool this way. Ran it through Photoshop's oil filter to make the lines a little more fluid.

Spooky + Awesome!

Ok, that's it! I can't comment on every picture, but please keep them coming. :)

Oso3D said:

Enchanted Forest.

It looks cool in a trippy sort of way,

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787

Thanks a lot for the comments, Worlds_Edge.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Artini said:

... and then after applying some filters in PD Howler:

love that first one

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

found this little guy in my runtime (a foetus?) - gave him some hair and NPR'ed the render.

he is now an umbilical brother - carrara job

This discussion has been closed.