Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Year that GSO is awesome.  Used it on the Hulk and my last Phoenix Render.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919

Carrara Job

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited January 2018

Another render from Unity 3D - filtered afterwards in Topaz Simplify.

Cam06ColorSketchIII.jpg
    1911 x 1023 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

Lori rendered in Daz Studio iray and filtered afterwards in Topaz Simplify.

https://www.daz3d.com/lori-for-genesis-8-female

Lori05pic02ColorSketchIII.jpg
    915 x 1075 - 180K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Nice

edited January 2018

Confront Your Demons.  You can't hide from your demons, but you can defeat them.

Confront Your Demons

IRAY Render, filtered in Topaz Studio with some post work in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.  This is a little more psychadelic than I usually do because it's suppose to represent the human psyche not reality.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    head wax said:

Carrara Job

I feel sad for him.

Artini said:

Very nice, looks like color pencils.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 893
    Artini said:

Nice results...Like it, like it a lot...

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137

@magicjava - thank you for the detailed tutorial/info re how to use the geoshell.  The images you posted were very helpful.  

I made this image layering a GSO render and an iraytoon shader render.  I then fixed errors such as failure to put matts on the belt, lol.  Painted over a bit, and added a tiny bit of line art.  The rest is topaz filters.  The background is not mine.  My goal was to see whether I could achieve a manga style character with good outlining - which for the first time, I feel i did.  Because I was just playing around and testing, I didn't have a particular story or image idea in mind.  I regret that now because it would have been so much better with a real pose/storey behind it.  

Very Cool! I love your colors in this one :)

Made some major tweaks to the color scheme and filters.

Confront Your Demons II

Thanks a lot, tkdrobert and kenmo.

tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons II

thanks for your comment - oddly enough I like the first one of these better - cleaner and more impact?

Artini said:

artini this style is lovely and soft

Artini said:

just like a classic illustration! congrats :)

edited January 2018

Carrara job - postwork in Nix and Topaz Impression - used a new plugin that converts Carrara hair to mesh which can then be used as replicator bases

tratidionally some of us have used Carrara hair for grass

image is 3000 wide if you feel like clicking

Post edited by Headwax on
    head wax said:
    tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons II

thanks for your comment - oddly enough I like the first one of these better - cleaner and more impact?

Interesting, the 1st one got 0 attention on Deviantart, but the 2nd one is getting a little.  Just goes to show you how art tastes can vary so widely.

• StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71
    tkdrobert said:
    head wax said:
    tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons II

Interesting, the 1st one got 0 attention on Deviantart, but the 2nd one is getting a little.  Just goes to show you how art tastes can vary so widely.

I find the first one more atmospheric and eye capturing. Perhaps its the tone of colors used which helps invoke a feeling to the image along with action that took place.

Thanks a lot, head wax.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 318

I vote for the first one as well. There was more immediacy to the image and the trees in the background were more surreal.

tkdrobert said:

OK, thanks for that, because the 1st one is what I originally invisioned.  I wanted it to look surreal, like looking at someone's dream or into their psyche.  When it wasn't getting any views, I thought maybe I screwed up my color harmonies.  Someone on Rendo said they liked the original better too, so I re-posted the original with the new one on Deviantart.

BTW, did you all catch that in the original, I hid images in the fog?  Some are samurai, some are animals associated with Martial arts and 1 is a spirit.  They are hard to see...on purpose.

• head wax said:

Carrara job - postwork in Nix and Topaz Impression - used a new plugin that converts Carrara hair to mesh which can then be used as replicator bases

tratidionally some of us have used Carrara hair for grass

image is 3000 wide if you feel like clicking

Definitely worth the click! I really like the subtle paint details on the background. Very nice effect.

• tkdrobert said:

Confront Your Demons.  You can't hide from your demons, but you can defeat them.

Confront Your Demons

IRAY Render, filtered in Topaz Studio with some post work in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.  This is a little more psychadelic than I usually do because it's suppose to represent the human psyche not reality.

Definitely my favorite of the pair. For me, the inreased detail on the primary figure actually makes it more intense, as though the person's inner being is more self-actualized and ready for battle. Plus, it just mkaes our eyes snap into focus on the primary figure with more clarity. VERY nice work.

• head wax said:

Carrara Job

The lighting, the appearance of the bones, his own gauntness... they combine to deliver an emotional whallop. I like seeing your painrerly style like this.

• Artini said:

This has a nice look -- somewhere between toon and toys. I appreciate that you gave the different poses, some subtle some not, which really work for a bunch of people just waiting on a train. The one thing that doesn't work for me is the dual shadows on the fence. In reality, the sun would be casting a single shadow, so the second shadow (the one falling toward us) is a bit of a distraction. This is a minor point, though. I am definitely impressed with the clean linework you got in this render. Nicely done.

• Oso3D said:

This is a line render (my thing) plus a shading render run through Fotosketcher (nothing fancier than 'make everything flat white')

I find that a good line render (whether 3dl or my thing or whatever), slightly blurred and applied lightly, can really enhance the detail that other purely filtering methods have trouble with.

This was mostly a test to see how well I could get the lining to work on a lot of flat surfaces edge on to the camera, which is where many systems fall down.

NICE! This method did a good job of maintaining the lines where they needed to go. Yes, there's a little blow-out on his hip, but as that's where a highlight would naturally fall, it's okay.

• @magicjava - thank you for the detailed tutorial/info re how to use the geoshell.  The images you posted were very helpful.  

I made this image layering a GSO render and an iraytoon shader render.  I then fixed errors such as failure to put matts on the belt, lol.  Painted over a bit, and added a tiny bit of line art.  The rest is topaz filters.  The background is not mine.  My goal was to see whether I could achieve a manga style character with good outlining - which for the first time, I feel i did.  Because I was just playing around and testing, I didn't have a particular story or image idea in mind.  I regret that now because it would have been so much better with a real pose/storey behind it.  

HAH! I wish I could tell you not to sweat it, but I do that all the time, too! I just start messing around with a render, and before I've known it, I've put in enough work that I want to share it, but then i inwardly cringe at the simple pose I chose (hey! I can rhyme!). Nevertheless, you did a good job. This is definitely a nice Manga-style figure and you should be proud of this. What figure and hair did you use, btw?

thankyou Mr mmitchell_houston ​ ;)

looking forward to more of your work

• head wax said:

thankyou Mr mmitchell_houston ​ ;)

looking forward to more of your work

Thanks! Work has been crazzzy! I had a rush deadline for my work recently. Stuff that was originally scheduled for 5 days was suddenly needed in 3. Just the usual crazy stuff. I'm looking forward to sitting down and getting back to work on my comic.

This discussion has been closed.