Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,561
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

If you've got any non-photorealistic renders (NPR) that you've done, please post 'em!

I'm interested in everything that's out there - all styles (from toon to line-art to painting, and everything in between), and any software/workflow. Please show us your work!

I've been having a blast buying & rendering DAZ content as I continue development on my own line art style. I'm not a 3D artist, so having easy access to tons of 3D content as I test has been great. The combination of Shader Mixer and DAZ Script has allowed for quick integration with my existing hybrid HDR and fractal drawing algorithms.

Anyway, attached are a few examples of DAZ content I've rendered as line art. I look forward to seeing what others have created!

- Greg

fff-w-40196.jpg
1066 x 600 - 465K
fff-w-40195.jpg
1066 x 600 - 471K
fff-w-40194.jpg
923 x 693 - 447K

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    edited December 1969

That is really interesting. If you can package your drawing tool/shader or whatever it is, as a product that others could easily use, I think you could sell a lot in the DAZ store.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184
    edited April 2015

. The combination of Shader Mixer and DAZ Script has allowed for quick integration with my existing hybrid HDR and fractal drawing algorithms.

Anyway, attached are a few examples of DAZ content I've rendered as line art. I look forward to seeing what others have created!

- Greg

That is really interesting. If you can package your drawing tool/shader or whatever it is, as a product that others could easily use, I think you could sell a lot in the DAZ store.

I have to agree, depending on its complexity, that could be a very sellable product. You have a great hand drawn style here.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

. The combination of Shader Mixer and DAZ Script has allowed for quick integration with my existing hybrid HDR and fractal drawing algorithms.

- Greg

I have to agree, depending on its complexity, that could be a very sellable product. You have a great hand drawn style here.

I also agree. Great style and very sellable product.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2015

Hi Greg, very cool, fabulous art :-) Here's comic character I airbrusehed a few years ago using photoshop.

Black_Cat.jpg
    665 x 906 - 374K
    Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,133
    edited December 1969

I'm impressed with this. Great look to that. Good job!

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Awesome artwork.

I would totally buy this, it looks so cool.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,561
    edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    Hi Greg, very cool, fabulous art :-) Here's comic character I airbrusehed a few years ago using photoshop.

Thanks for taking the time to reply & share your work, awesomefb - looks great! Since I lack the manual dexterity to create art in a more traditional fashion, I'm always extra impressed by the work of people (like yourself) who do. Maybe that's why I've been trying to teach a computer how to draw for two decades now!

If you don't mind me asking, did you use a 3D model as a reference? If so, I'd enjoy seeing the render, too!

- Greg

edited December 1969

MBusch said:

- Greg

I also agree. Great style and very sellable product.

I'm considering making the custom shader that I created, as well as the script that dynamically applies it to every object in the scene, available to the general public for free. The script & shader would need some changes before being fit for public consumption, though.

The shader is essentially an analysis pass (think something along the lines of the alien's vision from Predator) designed to encode information that the drawing algorithms require in order to actually draw the lines. I believe that some people may find the red channel particularly useful, as it is essentially a surface based z-depth map that does handle transparency. The green channel contains diffuse light, shadows, ambient occlusion and fresnel info. The blue channel is simply a B/W version of the texture map information warped to the geometry.

Attached is an example of the raw output from DAZ after the shader has been applied by the script, as well as the contents of the separate RGB channels showing what info each channel contains, for those that may be interested.

As far as the drawing algorithms themselves go, I maintain a distributed network that is setup to do the heavy lifting. Some of the kernels utilized by the drawing algorithms cannot be re-distributed, but I could possibly run the drawing algorithms on some analysis passes that others create using the shader & script mentioned above.

Enough of my babbling . . . thanks for taking a peek and commenting @barbult, @FirstBastion and @MBusch. Have any of you tried your hand at any NPRs?

- Greg

blue.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 329K
    green.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 309K
    red.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 183K
    analysis-pass.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 662K
  • GiGi_7GiGi_7 Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

Woooow! all looks awesome, it looks like totally by hand drawing. See the output of the proccess is also interesting.

I work in NPR too, but I'm very limited because I haven't time to learn scripting.

A few examples of my WIP SB shader

blue2.png
    489 x 489 - 285K
    madya_10.png
    1500 x 1500 - 577K
    anciana_noise.png
    668 x 668 - 601K
    edited December 1969

Same to you as well, very impressive art you share. Thanks for compliment, for years I drew art by hand, then transitioned to computer. No, I hand draw what my mind envisions. Growing up, I read lot's of comics, began using comic art as referance, till one day I was able to draw without comics. Was an awkward transition from hand to computer mouse. Lol ! so your still teaching your computer to draw for 2 decades to, well friend your not alone ;-)

awesomefb said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply & share your work, awesomefb - looks great! Since I lack the manual dexterity to create art in a more traditional fashion, I'm always extra impressed by the work of people (like yourself) who do. Maybe that's why I've been trying to teach a computer how to draw for two decades now!

If you don't mind me asking, did you use a 3D model as a reference? If so, I'd enjoy seeing the render, too!

- Greg

edited December 1969

Awesome ! very cool effects. Would certainly luv to learn technique.

gilikshe said:
    Woooow! all looks awesome, it looks like totally by hand drawing. See the output of the proccess is also interesting.

I work in NPR too, but I'm very limited because I haven't time to learn scripting.

edited December 1969

I'm impressed with this. Great look to that. Good job!

Thanks. There's a couple more related styles that I've been working on, too. I'll post examples when I get to the office.

- Greg

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

I appreciate you taking the time to post, gilikshe. It's great to see what others are working on. Headed over to check out the rest of your thread now . . .

- Greg

edited April 2015

Here's 2 more renders showing additional styles . . .

Frankensteining the character in the old map / parchment / Da Vinci's manuscript render was tons of fun!

- Greg

blueprint-w-40197.jpg
    1056 x 605 - 486K
    epsilon-w-40203.jpg
    653 x 979 - 817K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • GiGi_7GiGi_7 Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    Awesome ! very cool effects. Would certainly luv to learn technique.

Thanks!!, all is made in Shader Builder.

I appreciate you taking the time to post, gilikshe. It's great to see what others are working on.
    - Greg

Thanks to you for share your awesome renders and open a NPR thread. The last two are awesome too.

PD: The description of your nick in Da Vinci's doc is totally cool.

edited April 2015

Here's another example render of the cemetery scene - this one a black & white style . . .

- Greg

bw-blur-w-40202.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 390K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited April 2015

algovincian very impressive stuff, just love your style.
    awesomefb very professional looking.
    I'm another one who would be interested in your shaders.

Here's a render I did with some post work trying to emulate a line drawing style using PWToon

Edited because I shouldn't post early in the morning

Augusta-Hair-Sketch.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 347K
    Post edited by scorpio on
    edited December 1969

algovincian very impressive stuff, just love your style.
    awesomefb very professional looking.
    I'm another one who would be interested in your shaders.

Here's a render I did with some post work trying to emulate a line drawing style using PWToon

Edited because I shouldn't post early in the morning

Looks great, Scorp! I haven't heard of pwToon before - thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for taking the time to post and share your work.

Keep 'em coming!

- Greg

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Great NPR work, algovincian.

The best pencil-work algorithm I have seen for NPR, and I as well am interested in your techniques, workflows, algorithms used.

There are quite a few of us here who love NPR, and I hope more come forward to share in this thread.

Here are a couple of my own mediocre attempts using various methods from DS plugins, Freestyle, Celsview, Jot, and post-processing works:

TB003_npr.jpg
    500 x 763 - 36K
    BCHardsuit001P001_big.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 97K
    Composite001.jpg
    923 x 1200 - 167K
    OliviaKatanaNPR001.jpg
    500 x 785 - 43K
    3DGirlSketch01a.jpg
    597 x 682 - 165K
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

and a few more...

GirlNPR001.jpg
    719 x 1200 - 272K
    HannyaMask_Ink01.jpg
    634 x 734 - 74K
    NinjaLineRender001.jpg
    460 x 730 - 63K
    HuntressRenderFinal.png
    700 x 1000 - 2M
    Leo001_Final.jpg
    900 x 1150 - 273K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184
    edited December 1969

Making a rendered image look like hand drawn art would be the grail for those thinking of doing a graphic novel and comicbook series. Its always a challenge to define a style that's appealing to others. It's basically overcoming the uncanny valley in another medium.

outfromthefog800.jpg
    800 x 596 - 406K
    tarotbasic_paintered.jpg
    1000 x 1282 - 484K
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Great NPR work, algovincian.

The best pencil-work algorithm I have seen for NPR, and I as well am interested in your techniques, workflows, algorithms used.

There are quite a few of us here who love NPR, and I hope more come forward to share in this thread.

Here are a couple of my own mediocre attempts using various methods from DS plugins, Freestyle, Celsview, Jot, and post-processing works:

These are fantastic, Ken! The style on the blade is particularly good - perfect for technical illustration.

Thanks for sharing your work, and for your interest in mine. As soon as I can find some time to steal, I'll dig up a few more of the intermediate files created for the pencil algo.

- Greg

edited December 1969

Making a rendered image look like hand drawn art would be the grail for those thinking of doing a graphic novel and comicbook series. Its always a challenge to define a style that's appealing to others. It's basically overcoming the uncanny valley in another medium.

Thanks for contributing to the thread, FirstBastion. Your images are great - please show us more!

- Greg

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

If you've got any non-photorealistic renders (NPR) that you've done, please post 'em!

I'm interested in everything that's out there - all styles (from toon to line-art to painting, and everything in between), and any software/workflow. Please show us your work!

I've been having a blast buying & rendering DAZ content as I continue development on my own line art style. I'm not a 3D artist, so having easy access to tons of 3D content as I test has been great. The combination of Shader Mixer and DAZ Script has allowed for quick integration with my existing hybrid HDR and fractal drawing algorithms.

- Greg

Wow I have to say these are impressive. I sort of understand how you did the sketch render using something like an AO render then applying a sketch filter well that's my guess. This type of stuff really got my going as a poser and DS vendor as I had to make my own character and props. Here some stuff from the early days 10 years ago. We only had Olivers Toon shaders in those days and I had a dream of being a comic maker. They a pretty bad but we didn't have much to work with in those days. LOL !
    file_1433611.jpg
    719 x 934 - 482K
    file_1422080.jpg
    706 x 460 - 458K
    file_1739070.jpg
    839 x 1000 - 343K
    file_1200647.jpg
    704 x 610 - 366K
    edited April 2015

Wow I have to say these are impressive. I sort of understand how you did the sketch render using something like an AO render then applying a sketch filter well that's my guess. This type of stuff really got my going as a poser and DS vendor as I had to make my own character and props. Here some stuff from the early days 10 years ago. We only had Olivers Toon shaders in those days and I had a dream of being a comic maker. They a pretty bad but we didn't have much to work with in those days. LOL !

Pretty bad!? Not sure what you are talking about, midnight_stories . . . these are fantastic! Thanks for chiming in and showing us your work. If you've got any more, by all means please post them.

Attached are just a few of the intermediate files created by the drawing algorithms (an outline, and 2 of the shading passes). They are created & dynamically combined in an intelligent way using the info encoded in the RGB channels from the analysis pass (DAZ render). The possibilities are almost endless.

I, too, would love to someday crank out a comic. The algos end up producing files that are 16 million pixels, which is more than enough to print comic book size in great detail. I wish you all could see the prints - they look sweet! Is producing a comic still something you'd consider working on?

- Greg

PS - Don't know if you noticed or not, but there's a Brute in the DAZ characters image. Awesome character (one of the first I purchased), so thanks for that!

shading-2-w-40202.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 400K
    shading-1-w-40202.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 384K
    pen-w-40202.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 431K
    edited December 1969

Let there be color! Here is an example of the output from another algorithm in development - this one a painting algo. The close-up is a zoomed in crop of the male cat from the larger image so you can easily view the stroke detail.

Portions of the wire mesh were revealed to show what the underlying geometry looks like. Personally, I think the revealed geometry makes the image look even cooler, but you can view the image without the meshes being revealed here:

There are Noodles in the forest!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55151/

As always, if you're currently working on any non-photorealistic renders, or you've got some old NPRs, please post 'em!

- Greg

algovincian-noodles-close.jpg
    581 x 581 - 400K
    noodles-w-mask.jpg
    1066 x 600 - 804K
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Wow you keep getting better and better really amazing stuff, you can't pick this was a 3D render to start with.
    And that's what it's all about !

edited December 1969

Wow you keep getting better and better really amazing stuff, you can't pick this was a 3D render to start with.
    And that's what it's all about !

Thanks! Your comments about not being able to tell it's a 3D render are music to my ears . . .

I wish you could see what the output looks like printed. The final file created is 5328x3000 pixels, which works out to about ~500 dpi if printed comic book size. I've got an older Epson R1800 that uses 8-color UltraChrome pigment, and comic book sized prints on high quality luster photopaper look amazing!

- Greg

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

You're shaders look awsome. This would make a great store product and sell wicked like hot cakes

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited April 2015

Those inked-sketch renders look pretty cool! So far all of my DS work is via ShaderMixer.

I'm actually releasing an NPR-shader this month: CMYK halftones and depth fade.

Rosie_fade,_oversized_dots.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
This discussion has been closed.