Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited January 2018

It's remarkable that you can get toon shaded renders done in 3dl in less than 30 seconds, but I'm not sure that's going to impact the workflow of most users.

Here's another result.

Supermo Comic.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 626K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited January 2018

​Someone sugusted I posted this here.

Iray render.

Bold-Pastels.jpg
    1800 x 750 - 364K
    Post edited by scorpio on

I love it. Very ethereal.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319
    edited January 2018

Here's a quick iRay cel shaded render.  It took me a bit to remember how to use Emission in iRay.  No postwork except compositing layers.

iRay2-Done.png
    600 x 600 - 148K
    Post edited by Crescent on
  • CrescentCrescent Posts: 319

Really nice.  I love the colors you used.  It reminds me of a lot of the fantasy art I grew up with.

scorpio said:

Iray render.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited January 2018

This is just an experiement with shaders, nothing special. What's cool about this is that the grass, tree, and ground in the foreground are IRAY toon shaders convered to 3Delight using the IRAY to 3Delight script that is available in the Freebie section of the Daz forums https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/139326/irayto3delight-conversion-script#latest.  ; I realize the background doesn't quet fit, but it's just a filler.  Also, I added Michael 4's skin textures on top of the Visual Style Shader skin.  Like the last two renders, I used the 3Delight scripting method with postwork in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.

Solder by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • I'm glad you shared it. Shades of Roger Dean!

What shaders did you use to achieve this. Is this Iray right out of the box or with any post-processing. It almost looks solarized.

scorpio said:

Iray render.

Another Iray render.

Sakura Toon.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 348K
  • scorpio said:

Iray render.

That is really stunning. I am very impressed by your color selections. The dimensions of the illustration make me think of those fold-out double albums from the 1970s. So it's like it would be in the record store in the progressive rock section. Makes me want to go pop some YES on the stereo and get on mellow.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    Oso3D said:

It's remarkable that you can get toon shaded renders done in 3dl in less than 30 seconds, but I'm not sure that's going to impact the workflow of most users.

Here's another result.

Best yet, very impressive! I'm probably going to have to buy it now...

-- Walt Sterdan

edited January 2018

Double post, sorry!

Post edited by wsterdan on

Mighty Mysterio said:

I'm glad you shared it. Shades of Roger Dean!

My exact thoughts!

Very, very nice!

-- Walt Sterdan 

My big problem with trying to do filter-based outlines has always been that the results are often too 'muddy,' with stippling all over the place; it ends up looking like a bad photocopy.

Even over in 3DL side, the only really good outliner I could mostly depend on is LineRender9000 (I THINK ToonyCam can also do some solid stuff).

I experimented with Material ID renders; render it out, then do Find Edges in Photoshop!

Except, first, Material ID ignores opacity (so transmap hair is terrible), second, unless you take a LOT of time to carefully set up color values so that each border has the same color deviation, the line thickness is all over the place.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,773
    edited January 2018

Another experiment in Unity 3D - applying Aubergines Toon Shaders to Lucas 8.

Lucas03sc01cut.jpg
    695 x 997 - 150K
    Lucas03sc02cut.jpg
    715 x 963 - 129K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... and after applying some filters in Topaz Studio.

Lucas03sc01CaveDwellerII.jpg
    695 x 997 - 291K
    Lucas03sc01DaVinciSketchII.jpg
    695 x 997 - 306K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

...after applying more effects in Topaz Studio.

Lucas03sc02ColoredPencilDrawing1.jpg
    715 x 963 - 167K
    Lucas03sc02ColoredPencils.jpg
    715 x 963 - 331K
    Lucas03sc02OldWestern.jpg
    715 x 963 - 233K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142
    wsterdan said:
    Oso3D said:

Here's another result.

Best yet, very impressive! I'm probably going to have to buy it now...

-- Walt Sterdan

Ditto - looks great!

• This is my favorite of those you posted. There's something very natural about the water color effects that appeal to me. It's interesting how much older he looks in these images than he did in the first one you posted. I'm guessing it's mostly the POV and lighting that make his cheeck bones look so strong. Very nice approach on all of these.

• Oso3D said:

My big problem with trying to do filter-based outlines has always been that the results are often too 'muddy,' with stippling all over the place; it ends up looking like a bad photocopy.

Even over in 3DL side, the only really good outliner I could mostly depend on is LineRender9000 (I THINK ToonyCam can also do some solid stuff).

I experimented with Material ID renders; render it out, then do Find Edges in Photoshop!

Except, first, Material ID ignores opacity (so transmap hair is terrible), second, unless you take a LOT of time to carefully set up color values so that each border has the same color deviation, the line thickness is all over the place.

Once you get away from Photo-Realistic renders, it's amazing how short the render times can be. I routinely render images 4,000 pixels wide, and because I work in b&w in Poser 11, my render times seldom go over three minutes (and that's for scenes with lots of backgrounds – I often get single-figure renders completed in under a minute).

Having to set up materials to get uniform line widths sounds almost impossible. What about using flat lighting to get a render with just outlines, then switch (or add) other lights to create the shadows? you could then combine them in Photoshop or GIMP.

LineRender 9000 is a great product, btw. I was using it for outlines until I switched over to Poser. I think the product is great and, once you master its nuances, could yield great, consistent results.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    Oso3D said:

Debating which style I like better.

Leaning toward the stippled/second one...

Nice!!!

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018

What a great thread! The art is amazing. 

Here's my small contribution. The look was obtained using Visual Style Shaders and Manga Style Shaders. No post-processing (other than adding the word balloons).

https://www.daz3d.com/visual-style-shaders

https://www.daz3d.com/manga-style-shaders

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 8.09.28 AM.png
    381 x 516 - 308K
    Post edited by magicjava on
  • @magicjava Nice! If I may make a small suggestion? I would highly recommend setting the eyes to use 100% White Ambient to remove the shading. It would really sell the anime look. :D

edited January 2018
    magicjava said:

Here's my small contribution. The look was obtained using Visual Style Shaders and Manga Style Shaders. No post-processing (other than adding the word balloons).

Which product gave you the outline effect?  If it was VSS can you tell me what your setting are?  I've been playing with those settings fior a long time now.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    edited January 2018

@magicjava Nice! If I may make a small suggestion? I would highly recommend setting the eyes to use 100% White Ambient to remove the shading. It would really sell the anime look. :D

Thanks Nathan, but that's the new Sakura 8 model. Her iris and pupil take up 90% of the eye. There's not a lot of white space there.

Edit: I misunderstood you. I tried the white ambient and you're right, it does look better. Thanks.

Post edited by magicjava on

This is my favorite of those you posted. There's something very natural about the water color effects that appeal to me. It's interesting how much older he looks in these images than he did in the first one you posted. I'm guessing it's mostly the POV and lighting that make his cheeck bones look so strong. Very nice approach on all of these.

Thanks. There are a lot of filters available in Topaz Studio.

edited January 2018

Below are my another trials - this time with some of the filters available in PD Howler.

https://www.daz3d.com/pd-howler-11-1

First, just a bare render from Daz Studio.

Couple02pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 238K
    Post edited by Artini on
    tkdrobert said:
    magicjava said:

Which product gave you the outline effect?  If it was VSS acn you tell me what your setting are?  I've been playing with those settings fior a long time now.

The outline effect is done using Manga Style Shaders. Here's the steps:

1) Select a model part and make a Geometery Shell for it (Create/New Geometry Shell...)

2) Select the surfaces of the Geometry Shell and apply MS - Geometry Shell Outline to them.

3) Repeat the above steps for each item you want to have an outline. In the sample picture I posted, there's a shell for the main Sakura figure, another for the hair, another for the glasses, and another for the shirt.

edited January 2018

... and then after applying some filters in PD Howler:

Couple02pic01BrushStrokes.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 1M
    Couple02pic01CrossCont.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 345K
    Couple02pic01GPenCrayon.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 482K
    Couple02pic01Kuwa5.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 237K
    Couple02pic01sobel01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 280K
    Couple02pic01WoodCut.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
  • @tkdrobert @magicjava Just so ya'll know, there is a better version of the Geometry Shell Outline shader available for free in the official Visual Style/Manga Style topic (first post).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/manga-style-visual-style-topic-update-sept-23rd-2017-fixed-dropbox-links-commercial/p1

@tkdrobert @magicjava Just so ya'll know, there is a better version of the Geometry Shell Outline shader available for free in the official Visual Style/Manga Style topic (first post).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/manga-style-visual-style-topic-update-sept-23rd-2017-fixed-dropbox-links-commercial/p1

Of course, it's the product I don't have.

This discussion has been closed.