Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

a primivol trick:

1. load a model, a bulky one as you need a thick volume, with a single mesh, if the eyes are stand alone spheres you won't see them.

2. give it it's final shape morphs pose & location, so no animation.

3. add a primivol object and give it the same location size& rotation as the model.

4. use the model for the shape of the primivol object, in primivol's ramp off tab - 3d mesh.

5. make the model invisible, in the general tab.

6. if the primivol is a fire make it don't receive & cast shadows, in the genral tab too.

7. if a fire add a bulb with soft shadows at the center the primivol / model. 

Very frakkin' cool!

great and thanks for the mini tut :) didn't know about rotating and sizing the primivol 

Diomede said:

Stezza, those cucumbers have gotten themselves in quite a pickle!  laugh​  Looks great.

Shlomi, excellent looking cave.  Thanks for the step-by-step.  Saw your indirect light comment and decided to see what difference it would make for my project before it got too engrossed.

So I have added some of the greebles and shaders to my space ship section.  The section has two blue-tinted tube lights in the roof.  No other lights.  I then duplicated the section (including tube lights) back toward the horizon.  I did put a negative light in the last duplicated seciton.

Here is a test with and without indirect light.  The advantage of indirect light seems minimal to me.  The main drawback for the indirect light was the render time, which is signifiant.  

So Cool! This reminds me of when I was experimenting with Carrara's 3D Paint facilities

...and back then I also created a Carrara product for making D&D (or other RPG) dungeon tiles to print out. It works great for my own use even though I never finished it as a product. But with this one I made the textures using Genetica. Each square of the grid as well as the walls of this example are a cube in Carrara - each side has a different texture, so they can be easily rotated to change the individual tile. Each cube is named according to the grid space it occupies, so we can easily bring in a treasure or trap tile and align it with the cube in question. The border of the tile and the door with v-lighting are masked on top to enable the tile to look like a tile.

very interesting Dart - so you are just not a pretty face :)

quickie from me while not wrapping chrissie presents

highcontrast_Color.jpg
    3802 x 2265 - 4M
    edited December 2017

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    head wax said:

Love the expressions!!

edited December 2017

Moving forward a bit, this is "Ember in a pink bikini getting attacked by a dragon in a dungeon".

Well at least that's where I'm at now, but I think you may be able to see where I'm headed. I had to use DS to texture the dragon (DAZ Dragon 3) because trying to apply the mat preset would crash Carrara. Of course I could have also just manually applied the textures, since I had to anyway when setting up the Octane materials (glossy/specular mix), but I wanted to see if the alternate method worked. Not real satisfied with the lighting yet, but it's getting there.

Ember and dragon level.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 615K
    Post edited by DustRider on
    Jonstark said:

So, did a bit more work on my Christmas-themed dungeon.  It's not coming together exactly like I pictured (nothing ever does though), but it's getting closer.  Trying to strike a balance between hiding the monster in the darkness and not making it totally invisible, it's tough to find the right balance though and I'm not there yet.

Great idea, a creepy Santa Clause .... or maybe the Grinch?

Stezza said:

In the modeling room I created a tube and a globe for an ant hole.. joined & resized it to suit the cut it in half and used the displacement brush to rough it up..
    used the one default light and set the camera to 35 with depth of field turned on.
    Added some ants and duplicated them from Ken Gilliland over at Hivewire3D and then surface replicated them to the ant hole I modeled. Used a skull from them bones.

Title - Ant Nest

Wow, just wow!

a primivol trick:

1. load a model, a bulky one as you need a thick volume, with a single mesh, if the eyes are stand alone spheres you won't see them.

2. give it it's final shape morphs pose & location, so no animation.

3. add a primivol object and give it the same location size& rotation as the model.

4. use the model for the shape of the primivol object, in primivol's ramp off tab - 3d mesh.

5. make the model invisible, in the general tab.

6. if the primivol is a fire make it don't receive & cast shadows, in the genral tab too.

7. if a fire add a bulb with soft shadows at the center the primivol / model. 

Very frakkin' cool!

yesyes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    DustRider said:

Moving forward a bit, this is "Ember in a pink bikini getting attacked by a dragon in a dungeon".

Well at least that's where I'm at now, but I think you may be able to see where I'm headed. I had to use DS to texture the dragon (DAZ Dragon 3) because trying to apply the mat preset would crash Carrara. Of course I could have also just manually applied the textures, since I had to anyway when setting up the Octane materials (glossy/specular mix), but I wanted to see if the alternate method worked. Not real satisfied with the lighting yet, but it's getting there.

Looking fantastic! Yeah, I always just consolidate the dragon and manually load the maps and tweak them to taste. Sure looks cool, what you'r going for here! 

DustRider said:
    head wax said:

Love the expressions!!

Me too! Especially seeing the dog ready to just go insane on whatever it is they're seeing. Get 'em, boy!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2017

Stezza, HW, Dustrider, Jonstark - looking good!

Herk and the Serpent Queen

I've become fond of the Daz generation 3 characters, and have decided to take a graphic novel journey with them.  This is a panel from a future part of the story, which just happens to fit this Challenge.

The Herk character is a bit... different.  This post gives you a clue to his detached way of understanding the world.

On the above render, I used a Daz snake texture and Carrara displacement for the Queen's skin (love displacement) and negative light for the skin tone.  I modeled armpit hair using Carrara hair. smiley  Also, there is a Horo hdri, along with some clouds for the green mist.  The characters are the morphing python, Freak 3 and V3 (with Caleb hair).  Comic Life 3 provided the captions, and PSE was used for tiny tweaks.

Herk and the Serpent Queen smaller.png
    1800 x 1041 - 7M
    Herk and the Serpent Queen Carrara.PNG
    1758 x 1133 - 530K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Yes, Herk, I think she does! (work out, that is)

Sweet render, UB!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited December 2017

WIP - A Hungry Cave

Hungry cave 1.png
    2270 x 1037 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2017

Thanks Dart!

Wow, that is pretty nasty-looking, Bunyip!  In a good way, of course.yes

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited December 2017

Thanks Dart!

Wow, that is pretty nasty-looking, Bunyip!  In a good way, of course.yes

Thanks UB

A couple of updates.

Raw render straight out of Carrara.

Postwork using the Mediachance Dynamic Auto Painter - Golden Age Finer filter.

Hungry cave 1B 1200.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Hungry cave 1B_DAP_Golden_Age_Finer 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 2017

That's super cool @Bunyip02!

Once again I have abandoned what I was working on - it was just not coming out how I imagined. I decided to cannabilze some parts from the last one and just focus on a single room: a good old fashined dungeon of the sort you don't want to find yourself in!

Everything is modeled in Carrara with just procedural textures.

Here's the scene setup:

The untouched render:

The final with post-work:

I've got a few more little things I'd like to add and I still really want to do some 3D painting in one of these, but just in case I don't get the energy to do it, I thought I'd go ahead and post it as-is.

GoodOldFashionedDungeon Setup.JPG
    1908 x 1049 - 212K
    GoodOldFashinedDungeon Render.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 493K
    GoodOldFashinedDungeon Final.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 187K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 2017

@bunyip I'm sure I've seen that cave at Wombean! creepy as!

nice shadows @MDO2010 I like it... hope you get the time to finish it..

Thanks all for your comments on the ant nest.... smiley

This next one I used one of Petipets SciFi corridor sets and made it much biggerer and also one of his UFOs'

Set during WWII it's when the aliens handed over plans and a foo fighter to the SS.. One of the last photos that didn't get destroyed...

Title - Foo Fighter

FooFighter WiP.jpg
    941 x 717 - 331K
    FooFighter.jpg
    1000 x 727 - 757K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Awesome you guys! Bravo!

edited December 2017

Headwax - love the suspense in your render

Dustrider - looks great, hope you have time to finish it off.

UnifiedBrain - your sense of humour tickles my funny bone.

MDO2010 - thanks for your comment. Your dungeon scene looks very interesting - hope you can get it to entry stage.

Stezza - great work as always, the ants render is my favourite.

Second one from me - Sting in the tail.

Setup

Raw render from Carrara

Postwork using Mediachance Dynamic Auto Painter - Aqua Real filter.

Scorpian Gal 1.png
    2274 x 1033 - 965K
    Scorpian Gal 1B 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Scorpian Gal 1B_DAP_Textured_Aqua-Real 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M

yes

wowza, blink and youl misseltoe it

:)

Thanks Bunyip, now that is one creepy creature - very greek myth 

Stezza said:

@bunyip I'm sure I've seen that cave at Wombean! creepy as!

nice shadows @MDO2010 I like it... hope you get the time to finish it..

Thanks all for your comments on the ant nest.... smiley

This next one I used one of Petipets SciFi corridor sets and made it much biggerer and also one of his UFOs'

Set during WWII it's when the aliens handed over plans and a foo fighter to the SS.. One of the last photos that didn't get destroyed...

Title - Foo Fighter

stezza, I hate to say it, but you are getting betterer and betterer 

MDO2010 said:

That's super cool @Bunyip02!

Once again I have abandoned what I was working on - it was just not coming out how I imagined. I decided to cannabilze some parts from the last one and just focus on a single room: a good old fashined dungeon of the sort you don't want to find yourself in!

Everything is modeled in Carrara with just procedural textures.

Here's the scene setup:

The untouched render:

The final with post-work:

I've got a few more little things I'd like to add and I still really want to do some 3D painting in one of these, but just in case I don't get the energy to do it, I thought I'd go ahead and post it as-is.

this is a beauty, the lighting just sings - mind you, I liked how your other was going as well :)

Bunyip02 said:

WIP - A Hungry Cave

wow, this one is creeping me out, has all sorts of Freudian undertones

I've become fond of the Daz generation 3 characters, and have decided to take a graphic novel journey with them.  This is a panel from a future part of the story, which just happens to fit this Challenge.

The Herk character is a bit... different.  This post gives you a clue to his detached way of understanding the world.

On the above render, I used a Daz snake texture and Carrara displacement for the Queen's skin (love displacement) and negative light for the skin tone.  I modeled armpit hair using Carrara hair. smiley  Also, there is a Horo hdri, along with some clouds for the green mist.  The characters are the morphing python, Freak 3 and V3 (with Caleb hair).  Comic Life 3 provided the captions, and PSE was used for tiny tweaks.

love this style, the lighting is 'just right' - care to give us a rundown on how to get that effect?

DustRider said:
    head wax said:

Love the expressions!!

Me too! Especially seeing the dog ready to just go insane on whatever it is they're seeing. Get 'em, boy!

thanks Dart et Dustrider :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

thanks Head Wax.... means a lot coming from the master yes

• head wax said:

love this style, the lighting is 'just right' - care to give us a rundown on how to get that effect?

Thanks a bunch HW!  The HDRI did most of the heavy lifting.  Appropriate for this Challenge, I used the "dungeon" HDRI from Horo's Tourbillion HDRI set.  Then just followed his excellent read me directions for Carrara - HDRI at 200, GI at 200.  And I added a few low power distant lights (and a brighter negative light for the blue skin).  All of that seemed to work well with Freak (a slightly darkened skin map, default was too light for my taste), and with the V3 skin displacement.

Stezza said:

thanks Head Wax.... means a lot coming from the master yes

pleasure, master I wish!

head wax said:

Thanks a bunch HW!  The HDRI did most of the heavy lifting.  Appropriate for this Challenge, I used the "dungeon" HDRI from Horo's Tourbillion HDRI set.  Then just followed his excellent read me directions for Carrara - HDRI at 200, GI at 200.  And I added a few low power distant lights (and a brighter negative light for the blue skin).  All of that seemed to work well with Freak (a slightly darkened skin map, default was too light for my taste), and with the V3 skin displacement.

thanks UB, that's very kind of you! I like how you are working with the older characters too