Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

167891012»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    Jonstark said:

the render

Looks great Shlomi, was this rendered in Octane?  My first guess is Octane was the renderer, but then the effects of the magical force that the sorceress on the right is using makes me think it might be Carrara native render, or maybe it's a combo of both.  smiley   

By the way, the way to make your pictures appear closer to full-size in the forums is to first do the attachment of the render, click on it and then on the full size pic right click and select 'copy image address', then go back and edit your post to include an image (it's the little symbol that looks like a square with 2 moutnains inside it) and use the url you copied of wherever your attachment pic goes to.  Took me forever before I figured this out, actually to be honest I never figured it out myself but ended up asking and some helpful Carrarists who are wiser and better at understanding how the forums worked told me :)

carrara native render.

i think i also used: https://www.daz3d.com/gkd-skin-ultimate

I love that pack. He sure has a different way of setting up skin shaders, and I like it. It's always fun to try entirely different ways of doing things. Marcelo Rocks! Over the years of using and learning Carrara, I've grown a habit of buying Carrara shaders from the pros. It's a great way to learn new things. Dimension Theory's Delphinia Carraracter kit even came with a set of videos explaining why he made the choices he made in building the various level-of-quality shaders he made for her - and a bonus video on his cool camera rig method. Hmmm... I should try that again. I was too much of a noob to get used to operating a camera that way.

I love how PhilW makes shaders to help ease into something different, like Luxus for Carrara and Octane, for example - and then his Portrait Studio is an amazing exercise in realism rendering that blows my mind. It would be cool to see someone who knows the various functions of DCG's Enhance C, Shader Ops 1 and 2 and other sophisticated shader plugins make either packs of presets or tutorials on some tips n' tricks on implementing them on our own.

Oh... Babbling again. Sorry.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Coming into the final day to submit an entry!  Here's a few more of my personal favs from prior challenges, in no particular order:

There was one from MDO2010 that I thought was one of the all-time greats, it was a sci-fi setting inside of a spaceship in zero G where the hero is 'swimming' upwards towards the camera and there's a monster coming up from below.  I'm having a devil of a time finding it now though.  I thought it was from one of the challenges, but maybe it was just one he did outside of the challenges.  Dang it, I'll have to keep looking.  In the meantime here's another one from MDO which is awesome, proving dungeon-like settings can easily be set in modern locales:

I admit I'm not much of a trekkie, though I used to follow TNG back in the day, still I'm much more of a Firefly/Expanse fan to be honest.  But Chickenman proves that even a busy station in the Trek universe can appear both beautiful and ominous (I particularly like the bluish space partile/vortex effect):

Of all the fearsome dungeon dwellers and denizens, perhaps none is so rightly feared than the killer tomato!  Here's one UnifiedBrain that always tickled me (also a scantily-clad warrior maiden with an axe never goes amiss at moments like these):

Sometimes just getting to the dungeon can be an epic adventure.  Here's a beautiful render from FractalDimensia that always stuck with me.  Love the volumentric lighting through the clouds, the ocean, the ship, the whole piece is a thing of wonder and beauty:

By the way, just a reminder, since the time to submit an entry is running down.  We've had several excellent renders posted in the wip thread that haven't yet made it into the entry thread.  I know not everyone wants to post everything into the challenge, but I beg you to reconsider, the more the merrier!  smiley  So in the interest of reminders, here's a flashback to several excellent renders that look to me like they'd be ready to roll even as is (this is only partial as there are many more, but I'm trying to pick out renders from Carrarists that haven't yet added to the entry thread yet by way of reminder that there's less than 24 hours before deadline):

From Dart:

From th3Digit:

From Shlomi (love the 'wedding cake' style of the stalactite/stalagmite btw): 

From EvilProducer:

From Varsel:

Just want to give gentle encouragement/reminder to please put your renders up in the entry thread before time runs out (you can always edit/change them later if you really think you need to, though honestly all of the above WIPs look pretty great and 'ready to show' as is in my opinion).  smiley

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667

I want to see Jonstarks dungeon of bondage babes yes

I actually too thought along those lines with the nekkid boys blush chains strategically arranged

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited January 2018

not an entry... just for fun

The Tree Hugger

Tree Hugger.jpg
    800 x 600 - 343K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

last day?!  

th3Digit said:

I actually too thought along those lines with the nekkid boys blush chains strategically arranged

Awesome! LOL!!! You go, Girl!!! cheeky

Wow Stezza, that's f'n cool!

edited January 2018

th3Digit said:

I want to see Jonstarks dungeon of bondage babes yes

Crap, I didn't even realize I posted that.  It was something I jotted down, then decided not to post after all because why even mention it, but I guess the forum software 'remembered' I wrote it and stuck into a different post when I was commenting on a render.  Sheesh.

I dunno, I don't think my dungeon babe render really fits well, and while it was a funny idea in my head, the render itself didn't come out funny, more like sad.  I'll maybe put it up on Rendo eventually, not sure it would contribute much here to be honest.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    Stezza said:

The Tree Hugger

Creeps me out, but I have a real phobia when it comes to spiders.  :)  Weirdly it doesn't stop me from being horribly fascinated/repulsed by watching youtube vids of various spiders hunting and fighting each other.  Gives me the heeby jeebies just thinking about it.  smiley

Mistara said:

last day?!  

Lol, last day to render of all time!  Carrara is set to explode all computers it's installed in tonight at midnight!!   laugh

Ok, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the entry thread closes and voting begins tonight at midnight daz time (that's Mountain Standard Time zone).

th3Digit said:

no PC sadly and who knows when the shop will fix it and how much

th3Digit said:
    th3Digit said:

no PC sadly and who knows when the shop will fix it and how much

frown

awesome ... and a bit of history as well... great render 

Varsel said:

Did a re-render in double size, which I then scaled down, converted to CMYK, and adjusted brightness and contrast.

(  I photoshopped.... something I normally don't do... )

The story is about a missing train from WW2.

It disappeared somewhere in Eastern Europe at the end of the war. Rumors are that it was loaded  with stolen artpieces and gold, including the Amber room from the Catherine Palace of Tsarskoye Selo near Saint Petersburg. 

edited January 2018

I had to do this one before cut off

Title  - The Last Farewell
    modeled the walker... John started to model one after his fall but never finished.

WGDJohn.jpg
    800 x 450 - 398K
    WGDJohnWalkerWiP.jpg
    631 x 626 - 40K
    WGDJohnWalkerWiP2.jpg
    919 x 723 - 95K
    WGDJohnWiP.jpg
    1115 x 741 - 141K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

Thank you, Stezza.  Beautiful render and sentiment.  yes

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    Stezza said:

The Tree Hugger

beaut piece stezza, you have me reaching for the baygon...

Stezza said:

modeled the walker... John started to model one after his fall but never finished.

very poignant :(

Stezza said:

Beautiful render, and very appropriate, thank you Stezza.  RIP John, we'll miss you.

Just putting this out there.....................................>

If by any chance 'The Last Farewell' wins a prize ( not trying to sway anyone's voting ) then that prize should go to John's niece who has posted that she would like to get into some 3D art like her Uncle...

I can't think of a better way to get her started... angel

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    Jonstark said:
    There was one from MDO2010 that I thought was one of the all-time greats, it was a sci-fi setting inside of a spaceship in zero G where the hero is 'swimming' upwards towards the camera and there's a monster coming up from below. 

This one? https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/63854

It was for one of the PC Club challenges. laugh

MDO2010 said:
    Jonstark said:
    There was one from MDO2010 that I thought was one of the all-time greats, it was a sci-fi setting inside of a spaceship in zero G where the hero is 'swimming' upwards towards the camera and there's a monster coming up from below. 

This one? https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/63854

It was for one of the PC Club challenges. laugh

That's it!  One of my all time favorites, and it was killing me that I couldn't find it and give it a shout out within this thread, as it fits the dungeon theme like a glove.  smiley  Ah, so it wasn't in one of the Carrara challenges, no wonder I couldn't find it no matter how I searched lol.