Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

Comments

• Bunyip, I'm enjoying your DAP experiments!  I finally got Filter Forge after seeing your many excellent examples. 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 2017

something from me,

used filter forge and waterlogue and photodonut for the post work

I also rendered out many carrara passes including reflection so I had a lot of tools to work with in post (diffuse, colour, coverage, shadows, object passes etc)

I used the primoval rising smoke (fog?) for a little atmopsheric haze

maningibbettwip.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 1M
    maningibbetcloseupt.jpg
    2039 x 1160 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 2017

Have you ever wondered what those little cave like holes were that you see on the creek and river banks...

well inside these little cave dwellings reside the Fribians... a cross between a fish and an anphibian... they are hard to spot in the open as they blend in with their environment, but within their little cave they go about their daily life of eating insects, fish and rotting corpses that may have come to grief in the river/creek..

I found they can be tempted by five day old raw prawns and if you are lucky you may catch one... but only at dusk time when the cicadas start to sing.... hence your chances of catching one happens only once every seven years for a short period during summertime.

Title - Fribians

FribianWiP.jpg
    1034 x 737 - 436K
    Fribian-postWiP2.jpg
    1042 x 876 - 134K
    Fribian.jpg
    800 x 600 - 369K
    Post edited by Stezza on

terrific Stezza, that's why I always wear carbon fibre underwear when I go river fishing...

edited December 2017

there's a big outbreak of pelican lice here at the moment at the beaches & waterways which we all know can be a PITA 

and the tourists are all copping it yes

Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 2017

Hey folks, I'm a little behind in following the Carrara forums, so will have to go back through the WIPs.  

But, I did want to copy and paste the following reminder.  The deadline is scheduled as a Tuesday for this challenge.

Reminder: Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Tuesday midnight (end of Tuesday) January 2. 2018  (DAZ Mountain time)

Post edited by Diomede on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 2017

I don't know if I have time to finish this. This is a test render. I haven't decided what additional elements I want to add. It will be tough to get done because rehearsals for the play I am directing start on Jan. 2.

Temple test.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 735K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 2017

Another angle testing the lighting.

Temple test02.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 794K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

Stezza, I absolutely love the Fribian painting! Did you model that character? He's frakin' Awesome!

EP, Very cool scene you've got going there!

HW, wow! Hmmm... Primivol! It's been too lond since I've played with that wonderful (and amazingly vast) tool! That aside, though... this is such a beautiful piece of work. I really love it!

Stezza, I absolutely love the Fribian painting! Did you model that character? He's frakin' Awesome!

Magurgle from CGBytes yes

I do most of my purchases elsewheres now, seeing less and less is available here... some good stuff out there on other sites.

Thanks! Yeah... I know what you mean. Seems Daz3d is turning DS-Only. So lately I've been leaving the filter at "New Arrivals" and starting at the last page and working forward.

My latest purchase made in the hopes of joining this contest, in fact, but never got the time to play with them. But my recent success in animation tests have been worth it. The sucky part is that, like other months, this challlenge is going to be a real bear to try and vote in. Can't some of you just make some crappy renders for a change? Think of the judges!!!

I'm still going to try and get something submitted though - especially seeing evilproducer taking time from his busy schedule! ;)

Oh... and thanks for turning me onto that site! I don't even have a clue how many are out there. CGbytes looks like a fine start!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

Hey folks, I'm a little behind in following the Carrara forums, so will have to go back through the WIPs.  

But, I did want to copy and paste the following reminder.  The deadline is scheduled as a Tuesday for this challenge.

Reminder: Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Tuesday midnight (end of Tuesday) January 2. 2018  (DAZ Mountain time)

Still no sign of Jon.  Hope he is OK.  At the very least, it may be a good idea to extend entries at least a week after we get an entry thread started.  Anyone want to start an entry thread?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Sorry guys, Christmas gobbled me up for a while and I was swamped with squalling nieces and nephews, now back and have to play lots of catch-up.  :)

Shlomi, I love the ghostly effect of the dragon, it's freakin' cool. 

Stezza said:

In the modeling room I created a tube and a globe for an ant hole.. joined & resized it to suit the cut it in half and used the displacement brush to rough it up..
    used the one default light and set the camera to 35 with depth of field turned on.
    Added some ants and duplicated them from Ken Gilliland over at Hivewire3D and then surface replicated them to the ant hole I modeled. Used a skull from them bones.

Title - Ant Nest

Whoa, that's creepy.  Like, literally I feel my skin crawling... with phantom ants.  I guess ants are better than spiders, but yikes, that creeps me out.  Love the angle and the depth of field.

head wax said:

This reminds me of when I was a kid, going on 'adventures' in dark places and getting myself into trouble, and bringing my siblings and dog along for the ride.  Though we never had any babies as part of our intrepid band of explorers!  It's one thing when an 8 year-old manages to sneak off and go dungeon-delving, but if the toddler ends up facing off with monsters in the Underdark, well at some point I'd have to admit to bad parenting  :)   Very cool scene headwax.

DustRider said:

Moving forward a bit, this is "Ember in a pink bikini getting attacked by a dragon in a dungeon".

Well at least that's where I'm at now, but I think you may be able to see where I'm headed. I had to use DS to texture the dragon (DAZ Dragon 3) because trying to apply the mat preset would crash Carrara. Of course I could have also just manually applied the textures, since I had to anyway when setting up the Octane materials (glossy/specular mix), but I wanted to see if the alternate method worked. Not real satisfied with the lighting yet, but it's getting there.

Very cool Dustrider!  The Dragon looks terrific, in fact all the texturing and lighting looks great, the scene looks final cut except for the posing of the girl (and adding clothes/hair). 

Stezza, HW, Dustrider, Jonstark - looking good!

Herk and the Serpent Queen

I've become fond of the Daz generation 3 characters, and have decided to take a graphic novel journey with them.  This is a panel from a future part of the story, which just happens to fit this Challenge.

The Herk character is a bit... different.  This post gives you a clue to his detached way of understanding the world.

On the above render, I used a Daz snake texture and Carrara displacement for the Queen's skin (love displacement) and negative light for the skin tone.  I modeled armpit hair using Carrara hair. smiley  Also, there is a Horo hdri, along with some clouds for the green mist.  The characters are the morphing python, Freak 3 and V3 (with Caleb hair).  Comic Life 3 provided the captions, and PSE was used for tiny tweaks.

This had me chortling!  :)  I know a guy just like that, in real life (don't we all?).  The render looks great, and it actually makes me want to know more about the graphic novel you're developing, it looks like a lot of fun.  :)

edited January 2018
    Bunyip02 said:

WIP - A Hungry Cave

Too cool, bunyip!  Love the toothy maw, reminds me so much of the Sarlacc pit in Return of the Jedi.  :)  I can practically hear Boba Fett's last scream as he plummets to his doom down that maw.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited January 2018

Another angle testing the lighting.

hey Evil, this has super atmopshere - stay up til midnight to finieh it :)

thanks @Dart et @JonStark for your comments on my work

Post edited by Headwax on
    MDO2010 said:

That's super cool @Bunyip02!

Once again I have abandoned what I was working on - it was just not coming out how I imagined. I decided to cannabilze some parts from the last one and just focus on a single room: a good old fashined dungeon of the sort you don't want to find yourself in!

Everything is modeled in Carrara with just procedural textures.

Here's the scene setup:

The untouched render:

The final with post-work:

I've got a few more little things I'd like to add and I still really want to do some 3D painting in one of these, but just in case I don't get the energy to do it, I thought I'd go ahead and post it as-is.

That's awesome, really looks excellent.  You can practically hear the sizzle from those glowing embers on the brazier (is that the right word for the grill thing, or am I using the term for a ladies underwear?  I get confused).  Knowing you modeled all this makes me appreciate it more, the arched doorway looks great, so do the manacles on the all and the coffin-with-spikes thing (can't remember the name of that particular torture instrument, and I know it should be obvious.  It'll probably come to me in the middle of the night).

MDO2010 said:

Stezza said:

Thanks all for your comments on the ant nest.... smiley

This next one I used one of Petipets SciFi corridor sets and made it much biggerer and also one of his UFOs'

Set during WWII it's when the aliens handed over plans and a foo fighter to the SS.. One of the last photos that didn't get destroyed...

Title - Foo Fighter

That's super cool Stezza, nice use of petitpet's stuff.  Love the 'old-photograph' effect.   

MDO2010 said:

Bunyip02 said:

Headwax - love the suspense in your render

Dustrider - looks great, hope you have time to finish it off.

UnifiedBrain - your sense of humour tickles my funny bone.

MDO2010 - thanks for your comment. Your dungeon scene looks very interesting - hope you can get it to entry stage.

Stezza - great work as always, the ants render is my favourite.

Second one from me - Sting in the tail.

Setup

Raw render from Carrara

Postwork using Mediachance Dynamic Auto Painter - Aqua Real filter.

Man, I've got to go get Dynamic Auto Painter, it really makes the render pop.  Looking really good bunyip.

head wax said:

something from me,

I also rendered out many carrara passes including reflection so I had a lot of tools to work with in post (diffuse, colour, coverage, shadows, object passes etc)

So freakin' cool.  That headwax guy is totally nuts, but also a 100% certfied genius.  :)  I think I prefer the cropped landscape version at the bottom best, the fuller version makes me wince to realize the poor guy's feet aren't even on the ground (that's hard on the neck, I think).  :)

Stezza said:

Have you ever wondered what those little cave like holes were that you see on the creek and river banks...

well inside these little cave dwellings reside the Fribians... a cross between a fish and an anphibian... they are hard to spot in the open as they blend in with their environment, but within their little cave they go about their daily life of eating insects, fish and rotting corpses that may have come to grief in the river/creek..

I found they can be tempted by five day old raw prawns and if you are lucky you may catch one... but only at dusk time when the cicadas start to sing.... hence your chances of catching one happens only once every seven years for a short period during summertime.

Title - Fribians

That's totally cool Stezza, did you model this creature or is in the Daz store somewhere?  I haven't run into it before.  The texturing of the creature's skin really looks like something you'd see on a real cave amphibian.  Also the cave itself is tremendous, is that an hdri of a real cave?

edited January 2018

I don't know if I have time to finish this. This is a test render. I haven't decided what additional elements I want to add. It will be tough to get done because rehearsals for the play I am directing start on Jan. 2.

Looking awesome Evil!  The volumetric light from overhead and the mists are very cool, though the hellish red lighting is hot  :)

Post edited by Jonstark on
    Jonstark said:
    head wax said:

something from me,

So freakin' cool.  That headwax guy is totally nuts, but also a 100% certfied genius.  :)  I think I prefer the cropped landscape version at the bottom best, the fuller version makes me wince to realize the poor guy's feet aren't even on the ground (that's hard on the neck, I think).  :)

ha ha yes it made me wince too, thank you for the compliments too , Happy New Year from Oz

Diomede said:

Still no sign of Jon.  Hope he is OK.  At the very least, it may be a good idea to extend entries at least a week after we get an entry thread started.  Anyone want to start an entry thread?

Oh crap, I knew I'd find a way to screw this up.  I had a few surprise visits from family that took me out of the loop for longer than expected during Christmas and beyond, but I think I screwed up the dates on this, as I had always planned to have another week after New Years (because I knew hardly anyone would have any time during the holidays).  Shoot, I'm really sorry guys, I'll get the Entry thread up asap.

head wax said:
    Jonstark said:
    head wax said:
    ha ha yes it made me wince too, thank you for the compliments too , Happy New Year from Oz

Merry Christmas (late) and Happy New Years!  :)