Carrara Challenge #37 - Dungeons Deep - WIP Thread

Comments

• not an entry just a video of my metaball cave converted to a vertex model so I could UV map it

• more cave video 

(Zremeshed and UV mastered in Zbrush)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 2017

This is my current wip, so it's not an entry. But it seemed appropriate wink - every dungeon adventure starts with an entrance . . .

Test2a.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 697K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

Very cool, Wendy!

This is my current wip, so it's not an entry. But it seemed appropriate wink - every dungeon adventure starts with an entrance . . .

yes  This looks really cool!

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 2017

My original idea was not going very well so I started over. All the cave images inspired me to try something along those lines.

The cave is made up of three terrains (ceiling, floor and wall), a couple big vertex rocks, some replicated smaller vertex rocks, and a plane for the water. The torch is simple vertex object with a light bulb (with some effects added) and a fire primitive parented to it. The stone textures are from Filter Forge; I used some of the terrain functions in Carrara to mix them a bit and add some extra detail. The figure is Olympia 6.

Lighting right now is just two spot-lights, one from behind the character and one from in front, plus the bulb for the torch, which is adding most of the light to the scene.

Scene setup:

Test render (justa little bit of post to add some more detail to the fire, otherwise straight out of Carrara):

I need to add a few more little details to the cave and the character needs a lot of work on the textures and poke-through.

Cave Explorer Setup.JPG
    1864 x 969 - 297K
    Cave Test Render 002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 148K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • th3Digit said:

more cave video 

Pretty astounding Wendy!

• This is my current wip, so it's not an entry. But it seemed appropriate wink - every dungeon adventure starts with an entrance . . .

So is this an upcoming product?  Looks like another winner!

Very cool, UB!!! yes

• MDO2010 said:

My original idea was not going very well so I started over. All the cave images inspired me to try something along those lines.

The cave is made up of three terrains (ceiling, floor and wall), a couple big vertex rocks, some replicated smaller vertex rocks, and a plane for the water. The torch is simple vertex object with a light bulb (with some effects added) and a fire primitive parented to it. The stone textures are from Filter Forge; I used some of the terrain functions in Carrara to mix them a bit and add some extra detail. The figure is Olympia 6.

Lighting right now is just two spot-lights, one from behind the character and one from in front, plus the bulb for the torch, which is adding most of the light to the scene.

Scene setup:

Test render (justa little bit of post to add some more detail to the fire, otherwise straight out of Carrara):

Very nicely done, MDO.  The only element that seems a little weak is the water.  For me, at first glance, it is not obviously water.  It needs something extra.  Can't say what.  A torch reflection maybe?

Thanks for all those working details!

Very cool, UB!!! yes

Oh... when I said that I was referring to MDO's post! Sorry... my internet is being glitchy. Hard to navigate sometimes. 

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 2017

Here is the start for my cave. 

The Fireflies are lightX bulbs with LightSphere enabled (Effects) It gives this green glow no matter what color the light is. These are only placeholders, and to light up the scene a bit.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/187136/lightx-1-1-free-plugin-now-more-lights#latest

To build the cave :

I started with a teraine, converted to vertex model.

Applied a Bend and Twist deformer, wich cave me half of the cave.

Duplicated with Symmetry, rotated and aligned the new part and welded together. I did also rotate the resulting object a little bit, to hide the symmety.

Doc1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 965K
    cave01.jpg
    800 x 502 - 133K
    cave02.jpg
    800 x 502 - 323K
    cave03.jpg
    800 x 502 - 206K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 2017

Very well done, Varsel.  The cave appears seamless despite having multiple parts. Bravo.

I am thinking about yet another way. I used photoshop to draw a black cricle and then drew a graduated height ring around the black circle.  I loaded that as a heightmap in the terrain modeler, applied the terrace filter (any way to get more than 30 steps?), a rain filter, and another filter to roughen it up.  The bottom has another terrain shaded for lava.  I have some placeholders as shaders for the terrain and some people fighting along the steps, but none of these figures are the final plan.  Don't think Pumpkin men attack the lava lands.

Here is a spiral trail down the lava shaft.

aa03 photoshop.JPG
    1641 x 838 - 71K
    aa02 apply more filters.JPG
    1778 x 903 - 183K
    aa04 test render.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 84K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 2017

wow all the spiffing images - and double wow for the meatballs!

edit couldnt you just use Philemo texture gadget Triplanar plugin to get the cave  textures Wendy?

Post edited by Headwax on
  • head wax said:

wow all the spiffing images - and double wow for the meatballs!

edit couldnt you just use Philemo texture gadget Triplanar plugin to get the cave  textures Wendy?

not as such for Octane, I needed a non overlapping UV and Zbrush did clean the mesh up beautifully 

Carrara native engine I could have used the metaball model and a UV projection in the shader room

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919

there's a quick and dirty from me using Wendy's Meatballs converted to vertex then with Philemo's excellent Triplanar plugin - thanks to you both :)

Doc2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 496K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 2017

@Varsel - very cool cave tunnel! 

Diomede said:

... applied the terrace filter (any way to get more than 30 steps?)...

Maybe a second terrace filter right below the first one with the same settings? I haven't tried it, but I know you can have the same layer type more than once because I used multiple noise filters with different settings in my image.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    th3Digit said:

more cave video 

water sparklies!!

head wax said:

there's a quick and dirty from me using Wendy's Meatballs converted to vertex then with Philemo's excellent Triplanar plugin - thanks to you both :)

Cool! Triplanar Meatballs! Love 'em!

Yeah Wendy, I really like your UV results. Looks great. What a wonderful technique to think up - metaballs interacting to carve out a cave... just splendid!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited December 2017

Here is a dark place by just creating a dome with the terrain editor.  I made a standard mountain with a few addtional layer filters.  I then used zero edge to get a dome with a rough top.  I then used the inverse layer filter to create a bowl.  I turned to terrain bowl upside down to make the cavern.  

Troll Composite 2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    troll dome.JPG
    1683 x 959 - 216K
    troll scene.JPG
    1671 x 958 - 255K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Wow, you guys are killing it!  Sorry I was away for a few days, now playing catch up, and updating the Artzone thread (truthfully I didn't even realize there was an Artzone forum before now).

MDO2010 said:

I've got my scene basically blocked out. Now I need to do textures, some extra detail and the lighting.

This is just a test render with no texturs and some basic lighting. I played around with a few looks in post too and liked this one, although I may go more photorealistic with the final.

I know you said things weren't working out like you hoped on this one, so you moved to another idea, but I thought this looked terrific.  Stylistically it's very cool, was keen to see where you were going with this.  Looks like an abandoned laboratory with some collapsed walls, and I like the lighting, very effective.

But then this cave that I just modeled in the vertex room I'm just using the very simplistic lighting I normally use for myself. Roots are Carrara plants.

Damn, that looks terrific Dart, a very realistic 'earthy' type cave.  Those trees without leaves make for extremely good-looking roots, really sells the scene, and I'm a fan of the lighting approach, lends emphasis to the scene with the volumetric light coming down through the hole. 

th3Digit said:

metaballs make cool caves

Metaballs.. ingenious!  I never in a million years would have thought of using the metaball modeler, but it's a great idea, and gives a cool 'alien/organic cave' type look.  Plus from the fly-though vids, looks like you were able to make a pretty extensive cave system.  Also the water in the video looks terrific too. 

edited December 2017

(whoops, a double post because the forum software thought what I was saying was so important it needed to be told twice  wink)

Post edited by Jonstark on
    Diomede said:

Badlands has a cave builder preset?  Gotta check it out again.  And I found the tunnel in Mmoir's mystic gorge.

Meanwhile, here is a room in TangoAlpha's Medieval Hall set.  It just begs for dungeon furniture and accessories.

I agree, this set just cries out for a dungeon-themed render  :)

Tango, that looks terrific already, it's fun to get a glimpse of a set that you're putting together, wonder what it will look like in the final stages when it comes to the store  :)  Yup, every dungeon needs an entrance, maybe a hellish glowing train lurking in the darkness just beyond the mouth of the tunnel...  :)

MDO2010 said:

Scene setup:

I need to add a few more little details to the cave and the character needs a lot of work on the textures and poke-through.

Looks terrific so far.  The fire texture for the torchlight looks great, and the volumetric effect on a bulb light I'm guessing?  Also the little rocks on both the floor and ceiling, I'm guessing done with a surface replicator?

Varsel said:

Here is the start for my cave. 

The Fireflies are lightX bulbs with LightSphere enabled (Effects) It gives this green glow no matter what color the light is. These are only placeholders, and to light up the scene a bit.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/187136/lightx-1-1-free-plugin-now-more-lights#latest

To build the cave :

I started with a teraine, converted to vertex model.

Applied a Bend and Twist deformer, wich cave me half of the cave.

Duplicated with Symmetry, rotated and aligned the new part and welded together. I did also rotate the resulting object a little bit, to hide the symmety.

This is beautiful, I really like the little motes of light, maybe even make them glow a touch brighter.  Also another very interesting way to put together a cave, and I can't see any seam between the two parts, very inventive way to do it and it looks very realistic to me.  The dancing motes of light are the icing for me.  Very pretty scene.