JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2013

the lightswitch is by Jack :) and the lockers (unfortunatelly you can`t see them well because of the lighting) the rest is a combination of different items from different vendors. All textures are reworked by me, the base of the wall texture is from the fm cellar but reworked a bit :)

And here is the reason why I post this:

Jack, you have wonderfull stuff like these old light-switches and so. Can you create such things with posable pipes (length) and other of you cool stuff and offer it as a prop-set with lots of single items?

another_disturbing_-_Kopie.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 278K
    Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Placed the moonshine where it should be ;-)

moondrivein-final.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 463K
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

cool image :)

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    the lightswitch is by Jack :) and the lockers (unfortunatelly you can`t see them well because of the lighting) the rest is a combination of different items from different vendors. All textures are reworked by me, the base of the wall texture is from the fm cellar but reworked a bit :)

Jack, you have wonderfull stuff like these old light-switches and so. Can you create such things with posable pipes (length) and other of you cool stuff and offer it as a prop-set with lots of single items?

Cosmo, nice, and I agree, wee need as Jack Toolkit!

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited May 2013

katfeete said:
    Didn't know about this thread until now, so I just wanted to pop in and say thanks so much for the detail and variety you put into your sets, I've been using the heck out of them. :)

Very nice, and unique.

[Edit] My picture removed, thought it was a Jack Tomalin but didn't see his name in the creds when I double checked.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

...that is hilarious..

Totally love the "live broadcast" quality.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

Very cool looking, and I also like the idea of a Tomalin prop kit.

edited May 2013

I have a new pic i made for the sheer greatness contest with pieces from at least 5 of Jack's sets, so I'll post it here too, hope no one minds. :) here it is, using the beautiful Marrakesh Souks, Carnival Midway & Interiors (for the tent and rifle), Moon Gate (for one of the two ivy props here), Jannah (in distance, and sofas in low foreground), Dubious Pub (for barrel tables). Was going to say the hanging lanterns too cause they are for dream home, but I see now Propschick did Poolside.

Some other credits include Stonemason's Walled City for the other buildings, Mada & Thorne's Aussie Girl shirt with my own rip map, smay's stalker girl shorts & Mavka skin on baby, serrge's Jeep, Luthbel's War Dog on the guards, Valea's pure hair: wild, Bobbie25's Tre hoodie as the baby wrap, dzfire's maximum destruction luggage rack doubling as window bars, andrey pestryakov's topical palm trees, age of armour's atmosphere camera, and of course zev0's sheer greatness and leggings on both baby and momma. Happy almost Mother's Day. ;)

(please click to see bigger)

image.jpg
    1000 x 1400 - 544K
    Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited December 1969

...everything about this is really, really good.

I love to mix & match sets just as much as I do clothing.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Thank you. Yes, mix, match, disassemble, reconstruct... like playing with Legos sometimes ;)

edited December 1969

...had to do a little of that with the WWII Jeep in a pic I recently did as the tyres lack tread detail.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

Hey cosmo :)

Nice render! very moody...!

Hmm I've thought about stuff like that, but always figured it was a bit boring.. would people dig things like that then?

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Lol that's cool.. love the scanline effect!

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    katfeete said:
    Didn't know about this thread until now, so I just wanted to pop in and say thanks so much for the detail and variety you put into your sets, I've been using the heck out of them. :)

Very nice, and unique.

[Edit] My picture removed, thought it was a Jack Tomalin but didn't see his name in the creds when I double checked.

No worries! everyone is allowed the odd non-JT render ;)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Yea Storypilot, what Kyoto said!

Very nice, thanks for sharing :)

edited December 1969

Storypilot, really nice render! I always mix-match as much as I can as I usually have an idea in my head, then try to accomplish that with the items available. (Also a reason I tend to by things that I do not have immediate need for as I see that I can mix-match that.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I was wondering if Bryce allows you to consolidate duplicate textures like Carrara?
    alternatively while it would not do justice to Jack's lovely textures
    (though yours looked pretty cool too)
    reducing the map size like I do for iClone might help
    a silly music video done in Carrara and iClone using Aslan Hall

chohole said:
    Slosh said:
    chohole said:
    SimonJM said:
    I might try sending it to Bryce :)

It works well in Bryce, but will run out of memory if you try to import all the texture maps. Only load as many as you need for what is in view.

Remember that Bryce does not use compressed textures, it helpfully uncompresses tehm for you, so a jpg which is around 3500 kb will end up as somewhere around 11.8 mb in Bryce.

I retextured it in Bryce, except for the floor, which I did in PS to match the bryce procedural textures I used. Jack saw the first render, this is how it is now, and still working on it.

Georgeous, chohole! I'm wondering, since the repeated items in the scene are not instances, does Bryce load the same texture 16 times (or however many there are)? If so, would creating the repeaters as instances help with memory limits?

Bryce only loads each texture once, if you import the whole model at once.

Not sure about instancing in this regard, I think it would be quite difficult to get every instanced part into the exact alignment. The Poly count is not a problem, the entire model imported quite easily. It is Bryce's unique way of dealing with textures formats that can cause problems.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Wendy I do frequently reduce the size of jpg textures before using them, but there are quite a few textures in the Aslan Court.

ALso, even if you add parts one at a time, if you already have the texture loaded then Bryce won't load it again. It is only when you prepare different parts in different scene files and then merge that the textures get duplicated. ANd no once that happens Bryce will not consolidate the textures, would have to be done manually

edited December 1969

I was wondering if Bryce allows you to consolidate duplicate textures like Carrara?
    alternatively while it would not do justice to Jack's lovely textures
    (though yours looked pretty cool too)
    reducing the map size like I do for iClone might help
    a silly music video done in Carrara and iClone using Aslan Hall

chohole said:
    Slosh said:
    chohole said:
    SimonJM said:
    I might try sending it to Bryce :)

It works well in Bryce, but will run out of memory if you try to import all the texture maps. Only load as many as you need for what is in view.

Remember that Bryce does not use compressed textures, it helpfully uncompresses tehm for you, so a jpg which is around 3500 kb will end up as somewhere around 11.8 mb in Bryce.

I retextured it in Bryce, except for the floor, which I did in PS to match the bryce procedural textures I used. Jack saw the first render, this is how it is now, and still working on it.

Georgeous, chohole! I'm wondering, since the repeated items in the scene are not instances, does Bryce load the same texture 16 times (or however many there are)? If so, would creating the repeaters as instances help with memory limits?

Bryce only loads each texture once, if you import the whole model at once.

Not sure about instancing in this regard, I think it would be quite difficult to get every instanced part into the exact alignment. The Poly count is not a problem, the entire model imported quite easily. It is Bryce's unique way of dealing with textures formats that can cause problems.

You need to put that on itunes! :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Ok Jack, here's an appreciation render using some of your Parkside products. Though your rust-shaders on the train are outstanding, they kill Bryce, which is only a 32-bit application (unfortunately). So I spent a day putting up procedural materials, making the locomotion and coaches a bit newer, saving hugely on memory so I could assemble a whole train and tracks (48). The passenger coaches even have 48 seats in them. This is a pure Bryce render, using - apart from your beautiful models (2 locomotions, 2 passenger coaches, 2 box cars, 1 hopper and 1 flat hauler), clouds from David Brinnen's Cloudscapes 3 and the extreme wide angle lens from David's and my Lenses and Filters product. Though this lens can see 340° in one shot, it was used at a very much lower power just to bend the tracks a bit. This Bryce render is lit by the sun and my sunless Illhorn sky dome HDRI.

HaulageVP2.jpg
    1600 x 600 - 189K
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Ok Jack, here's an appreciation render using some of your Parkside products . . .

Beautiful!

This one uses Jack's Cheirocrates (nice work on the planter's dirt, really holds up even this close!) and Aslan Court 1 (the squirrel's for Ikyoto, of course). Shot in DS4.5Pro, rendered in LuxRender (via Luxus), postwork in GIMP. Also up in my deviantART gallery here.

Gray Squirrel with Blue Flower
    PCI20130501-SquirrelBlueBellflowerx2000.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 3M
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Thank you KickAir 8P. Yours is really cute.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Ok Jack, here's an appreciation render using some of your Parkside products. Though your rust-shaders on the train are outstanding, they kill Bryce, which is only a 32-bit application (unfortunately). So I spent a day putting up procedural materials, making the locomotion and coaches a bit newer, saving hugely on memory so I could assemble a whole train and tracks (48). The passenger coaches even have 48 seats in them. This is a pure Bryce render, using - apart from your beautiful models (2 locomotions, 2 passenger coaches, 2 box cars, 1 hopper and 1 flat hauler), clouds from David Brinnen's Cloudscapes 3 and the extreme wide angle lens from David's and my Lenses and Filters product. Though this lens can see 340° in one shot, it was used at a very much lower power just to bend the tracks a bit. This Bryce render is lit by the sun and my sunless Illhorn sky dome HDRI.

Very cool - nice work! Also nice to see some Bryce renders :)

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Ok Jack, here's an appreciation render using some of your Parkside products . . .

Beautiful!

This one uses Jack's Cheirocrates (nice work on the planter's dirt, really holds up even this close!) and Aslan Court 1 (the squirrel's for Ikyoto, of course). Shot in DS4.5Pro, rendered in LuxRender (via Luxus), postwork in GIMP. Also up in my deviantART gallery here.

Gray Squirrel with Blue Flower

Cool render :)

edited December 1969

Thank you Totte - I definitely hear you on acquiring pieces you don't know if you'll need, and then grabbing parts from the reservoir as you realize you need them to fill out your idea. It's a fun way to work, and occasionally lets one be inspired when coming across things (which is why I know the RRRR contests can be so much fun). Your moon TV feed is very creative.

Also Horo, love that train pic, it is lovely.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

@Horo - Super Bryce render!!

@Beth - I'm loving the POV of your recent renders. Well done ma'am, and the squirrel's expression in this latest render is adorable.

edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

Hey cosmo :)

Nice render! very moody...!

Hmm I've thought about stuff like that, but always figured it was a bit boring.. would people dig things like that then?

Hi there,

well, I wanted to use the sink from your "West Park Ablutions" for this scene, too, but unfortunately I can`t pose the pipes as needed for example, or hide the copper pipes without hiding the faucet for example.

I like your stuff because most of it has this old, rustic and abandoned look, exactly that look that I need for most of the rooms or places I use and sometimes create by myself with stuff from different vendors :) if you look carefully at the image you can see the bars at the window and at the door, right? this is nothing else than the shower board from home one bathroom by maclean just with iron texture and a bit scaling :). In the back of the room there is another switch created by you. I need two of them (one with 180° roation) to get over the rim (image below) :), so with a "jack tomalin item set" some things may be much easier :)

switch.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 393K
    edited December 1969

Duly noted, will add it to the list ;)

Just FYI everyone, I'm heading out for the weekend, and will be back Monday night.. so until there, the bars open.. and can the last person who leaves just lock up for me please.

Have a nice weekend everyone :)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

So, I bought Aslan Court a while back and was struggling to come up with something to use it for. I'm a terrible stickler for trying to keep all of my images unique in some way rather than rinse-repeating the same stuff, the only exceptions to which being do-overs of older images I was less than perfectly happy with.

Anyway, Aslan Court is huge. I could fit a family of dragons in there and they would still have enough room to breed and form a small colony. My mind was dreaming up ways I could use this magnificent set whilst still trying to keep up the theme of doing something I hadn't done ten times before. It wasn't until I recently picked up Miss Fisher's Wardrobe 'Fabulous Dress' that this came to me. The dress comes with a series of poses, including dance poses for both male and female. Having recently picked up David 5 and thinking that Aslan Court would make the perfect dance floor, this is the result.

I'm rather pleased with the final results. Now I don't need to use the court as a breeding ground for dragons. Speaking of which, if you know anyone who could give a home to four baby dragons and a house trained mama dragon, drop me a PM. Dragonslayers need not apply.

Dancing_Queen.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 676K
    edited December 1969

Nice on HOF ;-)

This discussion has been closed.