Let's see your dForce renders/experiments/interesting results!

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Different weeds. The first one I tried had classic kind of seaweed bulbs with tips kelpish looking  When I dforce that weed the weed stems remained in tact but the leaves flew off.  

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder what causes the fly away? Certain objects suffer from that but it's not clear to me what is causing it.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Odaa said:

Does an annoying result count as interesting? The sleeve of the Madonna that is supporting the child's head insists on floating straight out away from the forearm, Madonna's torso, and the baby, parallel to the ground rather than draping perpendicular to the ground & I don't know why. The other sleeve drapes as expected. 

I'm hoping one of you will know why. I thought of using the dFormer on that sleeve but I have avoided the dFormer to this point in time so I will wait to use it on something dForce can't do.

That turned out pretty well... I especially like her facial expression. for dforce runaway sleeves, I've had some luck drilling down to the forearm bone of the outfit, and using the  twist control.

Thanks, her expression is Eyes Closed 100% and Lips Pucker -100% which I thought made a serene looking smile that I couldn't get with the smile expressions. 

I will try the twist control on that sleeve thanks.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited December 2017

Whymsy Cloths For Genesis 3 Female(s) fit to Genesis 8 Female and dForce applied.
    Certain parts including buttons have dynamics strength dialed down to 0.0
    This Render is frame 62 in an animation (frame 63 the skirt exploded at the top of her left thigh)

Changed a few settings and incresed the subdivision level on both the cloths and G8F.  Got farther in before exploding this time. :P

Wimsy01.png
    933 x 1200 - 546K
    Whymsy02.png
    933 x 1200 - 664K
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
    edited December 2017

More dForce fun.  This time it's a Bed and Hair Plus a dForce outfit from the store.

Scifi10.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • mephoriamephoria Posts: 120
    edited December 2017

Continuing to work my way through casual garments with a newly created polo shirt, once again being modeled by the lovely Olympia 6.

This one is tricky for two main reasons. Primarily, it has to deal with the fact that the buttons are rigid bodies that can't be simulated. Secondly, the collar has to maintain the twisted folds that make the polo collar distinctive. I did the following to make this work: 1) The buttons are static and invisible to the simulation. They hang in space and just respond to auto-follow. 2) The placket is made static by turning dynamic strength to 0. They also just respond to auto-follow, but they still act as static objects which guide the simulation of the collar and chest. 3) The collar participates fully in the simulation, but has it's curve stiffness cranked up to 97.This forces it to partially maintain the modelled-in folds while still letting edges hang naturally.

I expect to package up the model and distribute as a freebie sometime soon. I'll update this post when I do so.

polo137-demo1.png
    494 x 800 - 581K
    Post edited by mephoria on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    JamesJAB said:

More dForce fun.  This time it's a Bed and Hair Plus a dForce outfit from the store.

Lovely plus sized character! :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    mephoria said:

Continuing to work my way through casual garments with a newly created polo shirt, once again being modeled by the lovely Olympia 6.

This one is tricky for two main reasons. Primarily, it has to deal with the fact that the buttons are rigid bodies that can't be simulated. Secondly, the collar has to maintain the twisted folds that make the polo collar distinctive. I did the following to make this work: 1) The buttons are static and invisible to the simulation. They hang in space and just respond to auto-follow. 2) The placket is made static by turning dynamic strength to 0. They also just respond to auto-follow, but they still act as static objects which guide the simulation of the collar and chest. 3) The collar participates fully in the simulation, but has it's curve stiffness cranked up to 97.This forces it to partially maintain the modelled-in folds while still letting edges hang naturally.

I expect to package up the model and distribute as a freebie sometime soon. I'll update this post when I do so.

The shirt looks great! Nice, natural looking folds. :)

edited December 2017

A follow-up to my last "polo shirt" post. This is the finished version, which I've made available as a freebie. I love the way it crumpled up in this pose, and I think it's one of my most realistic looking renders.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Looks great! a shirt that actually drapes like it should. I'll have to check out your freebie.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Nice work!

Dana

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,131
    edited December 2017

I tried out the some of the Mega Wardrobe for G3M pieces with dForce and they seemed to work pretty well. This is the sweater on Milo (re-textured with Shader Plan Light Knits for Iray) The raised left-edge is part morph (one of the several dress/undress morphs that come with the set) and part dForce.

Milo-in-G3M-dForced-Mega-Wardrobe-ShaderPlan.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 443K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • I've been dipping my toe into the world of modeling with a piece of clothing that really only became possible in DS with dForce: an oversized t-shirt. It's still very much a work in progress, but I think it seems promising.

XXL-WIP1.png
    316 x 851 - 151K

Cozy Sweater Outfit with dForce applied to the sweater.  (dForce is also on the hair)

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    JamesJAB said:

This is cool, would you mind sharing how you let her sink in?

Linwelly said:
    JamesJAB said:

This is cool, would you mind sharing how you let her sink in?

Just a short animation from a lying down A-pose about a foot above the bed surface, then over 30 frames transitioned to the pose and lowered her into it.

edited December 2017

Animantion time!
    This is created from the new "aniMate Belly Dancing for Victoria 8" set, with some little modifications to fix the arms intersecting with the body.
    ​**************************************************************************************************
    2017-12-23 23:23:15.637 Total Simulation Time: 7 minutes 0.16 seconds
    (723 Frames @ 24fps)
    **************************************************************************************************

2017-12-24 06:32:12.344 Total Rendering Time: 6 hours 48 minutes 59.5 seconds​
    (Render covergence target = 20%, Resolution = 1280x960, Frames = 723)
    (34 seconds average render time pre frame)
    ​**************************************************************************************************

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 523
    edited December 2017

I made this recently for Lola Lane's render a month challenge. 

There are 5 piles of bones which I covered, using dforce, with cobweb sheets from https://www.daz3d.com/orestes-cobwebs 

Ariadne's (far left) chiton and peplos (https://www.daz3d.com/hellenic-for-genesis-3-females) are also using dforce. With the chilton I used an influence map so that everything from the waist up is static. For the peplos I made the shoulders static.

Rendered in 3Delight.

Post edited by nattaruk on
  • sberlinssberlins Posts: 128
    edited December 2017

A Roman toga for G3 combined with the peplos top.  Texture is Destiny Garden's fur/flock shader (https://www.daz3d.com/dg-iray-fur-flocking-scales-shader-presets)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,050
    edited December 2017

Is dforce supposed to take this long??? Over 40 minutes and only 70% done.  Sheesh

Simple scene V4 (posed)  with Sensibility Gown... Nothing else in scene... Default settings

sensibility timing.jpg
    866 x 718 - 101K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

Is dforce supposed to take this long??? Over 40 minutes and only 70% done.  Sheesh

Simple scene V4 (posed)  with Sensibility Gown... Nothing else in scene... Default settings

It can...
    There are several factors that come into play. 
    Are you running dForce using a GPU or your CPU? 
    How complex is the mesh on the simulated cloth? 
    Did your simulation start from a Zero pose (if not you could have started with fabric pinched between intersecting polygons in V4)

So, as it turns out... dForce works on mermaids too!

Title:  All I want for Christmas is....... TO BE A MERMAID!!!!!
    Someone must've been a very good girl this year for Santa to give this gift.

• I did this one using Fabiana's Sea - Water and Air for V4 from Renderosity on Genesis 3.  A little fiddly with the arm bands, but it draped beautifully in the end.  I've had issues with many Poser dynamic outfits crashing Studio as soon as I hit simulate, but this one even with three pieces draping didn't cause any troubles.

JamesJAB said:

It can...
    Did your simulation start from a Zero pose (if not you could have started with fabric pinched between intersecting polygons in V4)

To answer questions (and I will look at your suggestions better the next time)...

I ran dForce at default settings... The videos I saw online ran so fast... they must have sped up the simulations... NONE of them said how long they took to drape so I figured I'd give it a try.  I've not touched it much... or read much documentation except this thread. 

In.. Simulation Settings/Advanced tab/ for OpenCL Device... all I have is... AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing Redwood.  Not sure if that is GPU or CPU

Not sure about the complexity of the mesh.. I was just doing this cause no one answered Divamakeup request... I see now it is on another thread.. sorry.. I should have posted there... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/207066/dforce-verified-functional-clothing-out-of-the-box/p7

Yes it started from zero pose... I've tried a few from the exsisting pose and the skirt never seems to drape OVER the leg... It stays imbedded IN her leg.. Zero pose is the only way I can get it to drape OVER the leg like it should. 

I'll play some more... But it's taking way to long for me.  I have a pretty powerful computer and I just got more memory... The videos I saw were misleading for me. 

JamesJAB said:

It can...

To answer questions (and I will look at your suggestions better the next time)...

I ran dForce at default settings... The videos I saw online ran so fast... they must have sped up the simulations... NONE of them said how long they took to drape so I figured I'd give it a try.  I've not touched it much... or read much documentation except this thread. 

In.. Simulation Settings/Advanced tab/ for OpenCL Device... all I have is... AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing Redwood.  Not sure if that is GPU or CPU

Not sure about the complexity of the mesh.. I was just doing this cause no one answered Divamakeup request... I see now it is on another thread.. sorry.. I should have posted there... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/207066/dforce-verified-functional-clothing-out-of-the-box/p7

Yes it started from zero pose... I've tried a few from the exsisting pose and the skirt never seems to drape OVER the leg... It stays imbedded IN her leg.. Zero pose is the only way I can get it to drape OVER the leg like it should. 

I'll play some more... But it's taking way to long for me.  I have a pretty powerful computer and I just got more memory... The videos I saw were misleading for me. 

AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing Redwood = Older midrange AMD GPU.  (depending on which version it could have anywhere from 0.5GB - 2.0GB of VRAM)

JamesJAB said:
    JamesJAB said:

It can...

AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing Redwood = Older midrange AMD GPU.  (depending on which version it could have anywhere from 0.5GB - 2.0GB of VRAM)

humm.. not sure if that is good or bad... lol  But I'm stuck with it :(

@Llola Lane: There are most likely two things going on. As pointed out, older graphics cards don't support dForce, so they fall back on CPU. My experiments with a borrowed graphics card indicate that a decent graphics card will run the simulation about 50 times (!!) faster than your CPU. I've been running with an older card myself, and I'm used to simulatoins being anywhere between 5 and 45 minutes depending on the setup.

Another issue however, is one that you *can* easily fix. Your simulation is probably running half as fast as it could simply because of the hair on your character. Because of hair's unique geometry, combined with the bones for auto-follow (which makes the simulation think that it could collide with fabric anywhere on the body), hair is like kryptonite to dForce. However, the fix is easy: either simply hide the hair so that it isn't considered by the simulation, or make it a "dForce static object", which will allow you to go to the simulation properties under the surface tab and turn "visible in simulation" to "off". You could do the same with any other garments that are guaranteed not to collide with your dForce garments, but they typically don't slow things down as much as hair does.

edited December 2017

I continue my quest to work through every variety of "casual" garment by attempting a pleated skirt. This is my (current) best attempt at physically modelling the structure of the pleats. It's an interesting exercise in non-standard geometry, especially when stitching together the pleats at the waistband. dForce handles it pretty well, but only when I make sure that there is a cloth's-worth of thickness between the pleats. Otherwise it gets into trouble with collision distance and either rapidly expands for a Marilyn Monroe moment, or ends up self-intersecting even when you've got collision detection maxed out.

The big thing I learned was garment design. The combination of rectangular pleats (necessary with a plaid print) and a short, high waistband is that the pleats have to expand substantially over the hips, causing the pleats to warp more than usual. The look can still be quite nice, however, with interesting draping and nice motion. This particular render simulates a thinner fabric than would be typical for a plaid skirt, but I love the way it billows. I can make the fabric thicker by dialing up the buckling stiffness to 30 or so, which makes it more realistic but a bit less interesting for this particular pose. Again, the versatility of dForce gives lots of options.

pleated-skirt-demo01.png
    494 x 800 - 670K
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826

I used D force to drape the blanket - a flat plane- over the crates that the woman is resting on

mephoria said:

@Llola Lane: There are most likely two things going on. As pointed out, older graphics cards don't support dForce, so they fall back on CPU. My experiments with a borrowed graphics card indicate that a decent graphics card will run the simulation about 50 times (!!) faster than your CPU. I've been running with an older card myself, and I'm used to simulatoins being anywhere between 5 and 45 minutes depending on the setup.

Another issue however, is one that you *can* easily fix. Your simulation is probably running half as fast as it could simply because of the hair on your character. Because of hair's unique geometry, combined with the bones for auto-follow (which makes the simulation think that it could collide with fabric anywhere on the body), hair is like kryptonite to dForce. However, the fix is easy: either simply hide the hair so that it isn't considered by the simulation, or make it a "dForce static object", which will allow you to go to the simulation properties under the surface tab and turn "visible in simulation" to "off". You could do the same with any other garments that are guaranteed not to collide with your dForce garments, but they typically don't slow things down as much as hair does.

Thank you mephoria... as I said.. I'm stuck with my graphics card (for now)... I am aware of the hair issue... although... the screen capture above has no hair.. it is V4 skin with the hair painted on (and it still took 46minutes)... I have also been getting help in this thread... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3174726#Comment_3174726 .. between that thread and this.. I am learning and experimenting.  I am also finding that if I want simulations to go fast.. I can't do anything else with the computer.. no open programs.. no searching internet... nada.. zip... and.. starting with a fresh computer start up helps too.  It will take me a while to figure it all out... but I am determined ;)  Thanks for your help!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Okay, @Llola Lane, I'm between scenes so I loaded up V4 and dressed her in the Sensibility dress and shoes. Without doing more than applying the dForce Modifier for dynamic clothing to the dress, I was able to run the sim in a little over a minute, once the actual sim started. That's using the Start Bones From Memorized Pose option. With that option turned off, it took around 35 seconds. I loaded the V4.2 figure with only the V4 morphs, and later with everything I had for V4, (Stephanie, Girl, Creature Creator, Elite, etc.) It took a few seconds longer with all those morphs loaded.

I have an Nvidia card, an MSI Armor GTX 1080, with 8GB RAM. I'm using OpenCL 1.2 via the Nvidia driver. I do not have OpenCL 1.2 installed for the CPU.

I suspect the problem with the simulation taking so long is related to the device on your computer that supports OpenCL 1.2, whether that's your CPU or your video card. It might also have something to do with the tech for the generation 4 models. Have you tried to dForce the Genesis (or later) version of the dress on the corresponding Genesis figure? It would be a shame to give up on dForce now, only to find later it would have worked acceptably on later generation figures and clothing.