JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:

Very nice render - just wondering, did you set the stuff up in Max by hand, or do you use an importer?

And thanks for your kind words. Means a lot coming from you.

Quick workflow Sketch:
    1) Set up preset in DAZ - delete instances but retain core preset placement to reduce work in Max
    2) Export - import into Max using obj format
    3) Transfer standard Mats to Mental Ray and A&D Mats using macros I wrote available here--> http://sdrv.ms/ZVnsfo
    4) I use photometric lights - for each lamp I set up an inside light at very low intensity, then an outside one and exclude the lamp (better for area lighting)
    5) Drape the cape use massFX cloth modifer
    6) Recreate the instances based on your original setup, set up camera, tweak and render
    (One tweak was editing the lamp mesh to redefine a new materal layer for the glass part alone, easy enough to do)

It sounds complicated, but it actually is less than 15 minutes once you get the workflow down. I do the volume light effect in Photoshop using Ron's Bokeh and light brushes. They are very hard to get exact in Max, as well as taking forever to rendr.

In my signature there is a link for anyone else interested in using Max for more resources.

Again, thanks for your words

Ah interesting, thanks for sharing :)

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Just submitted this for the PC Inspirations contest. Are you following that thread, Jack? Lots of good renders with Aslan Court. In fact, so many renders with Aslan Court, that I have deemed it a tourist attraction and this render is entitled "The Tourist." Rendered in LuxRender via Luxus.

The_Tourist.png
    896 x 675 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Just submitted this for the PC Inspirations contest. Are you following that thread, Jack? Lots of good renders with Aslan Court. In fact, so many renders with Aslan Court, that I have deemed it a tourist attraction and this render is entitled "The Tourist." Rendered in LuxRender via Luxus.

lol.. nice render :)

I haven't for a while no - I keep forgetting to check it out.. will go have a looksee now :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Aslan Court 'brushes up' quite nicely in Octane:
    http://fav.me/d63i00t (a little NSFW)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

Ah nice to see it in Octane too.. I wish I had the time to play about in Octane/Lux..!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Then we need a Vue render of it too.

showroom.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 263K
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

Ah nice to see it in Octane too.. I wish I had the time to play about in Octane/Lux..!

It's not time you need, it's a render farm ;-)

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Nice! Surely that's a full house - seen Lux/Octane/Vue/3DSMax.. Shall I post a LW one too? lol

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    SimonJM said:

It's not time you need, it's a render farm ;-)

That too, indeed!

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Nice! Surely that's a full house - seen Lux/Octane/Vue/3DSMax.. Shall I post a LW one too? lol

The promo?

edited December 1969

All the promos were done in DS.. I don't think I've posted any of the LW renders

edited December 1969

All the promos were done in DS.. I don't think I've posted any of the LW renders

Then it's time! I'm trying to bake a Carrara one now, with a Volvo to please Dumorian!

edited May 2013

OK, Cararra with Volvo, (Was too many shaders zones on that Volvo to tweak (over 140), hence some uglies.

Updated

volvo-2.jpg
    1200 x 547 - 161K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

I might try sending it to Bryce :)

edited December 1969

lol.. its everywhere!

Sadly I can't post my LW renders.. it erm, features AC2 ;).. so I'll post it up as 'zoon' as I can.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

It works well in Bryce, but will run out of memory if you try to import all the texture maps. Only load as many as you need for what is in view.

Remember that Bryce does not use compressed textures, it helpfully uncompresses tehm for you, so a jpg which is around 3500 kb will end up as somewhere around 11.8 mb in Bryce.

I retextured it in Bryce, except for the floor, which I did in PS to match the bryce procedural textures I used. Jack saw the first render, this is how it is now, and still working on it.

Aslant_Court_3.jpg
    1198 x 675 - 478K
    edited December 1969

I suspected we might hit 32-bit limits transferring this across! :)
    Your re-textured versions looks good.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    SimonJM said:

It works well in Bryce, but will run out of memory if you try to import all the texture maps. Only load as many as you need for what is in view.

Remember that Bryce does not use compressed textures, it helpfully uncompresses tehm for you, so a jpg which is around 3500 kb will end up as somewhere around 11.8 mb in Bryce.

I retextured it in Bryce, except for the floor, which I did in PS to match the bryce procedural textures I used. Jack saw the first render, this is how it is now, and still working on it.

Georgeous, chohole! I'm wondering, since the repeated items in the scene are not instances, does Bryce load the same texture 16 times (or however many there are)? If so, would creating the repeaters as instances help with memory limits?

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    SimonJM said:

WOW, that looks wonderful!! :-)

edited December 1969

Another one, inspired by dievans render.

david-goliat_s.jpg
    1200 x 751 - 318K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    SimonJM said:

That's coming along nicely, nice job :)

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Heh, I never even considered that could be used as an exterior until I saw that.. makes me think I could add something to give the roof a bit of a 'lip'.. hmm!

edited December 1969

Totte said:

Heh, I never even considered that could be used as an exterior until I saw that.. makes me think I could add something to give the roof a bit of a 'lip'.. hmm!

I see a gladiator arena, thank dievans for the idea ;-)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

seeing the Arena style renders gave me an idea, i added the Gorgon Hall to the upper level....

colliseum-002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 438K
    edited December 1969

seeing the Arena style renders gave me an idea, i added the Gorgon Hall to the upper level....

Heh that works pretty well actually as a stand-in :)

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Heh that works pretty well actually as a stand-in :)

its kinda scary how well they fit together, the radius of the curve is so close on both sets

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    chohole said:
    SimonJM said:

Georgeous, chohole! I'm wondering, since the repeated items in the scene are not instances, does Bryce load the same texture 16 times (or however many there are)? If so, would creating the repeaters as instances help with memory limits?

Bryce only loads each texture once, if you import the whole model at once.

Not sure about instancing in this regard, I think it would be quite difficult to get every instanced part into the exact alignment. The Poly count is not a problem, the entire model imported quite easily. It is Bryce's unique way of dealing with textures formats that can cause problems.

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Didn't know about this thread until now, so I just wanted to pop in and say thanks so much for the detail and variety you put into your sets, I've been using the heck out of them. :)

PAFinal.png
    1700 x 1183 - 2M
    edited December 1969

katfeete said:
    Didn't know about this thread until now, so I just wanted to pop in and say thanks so much for the detail and variety you put into your sets, I've been using the heck out of them. :)

Hey, welcome to the JAS!

Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...that looks really, really good.
This discussion has been closed.