Luxus Skin Settings

Comments

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

This one is a combination of results. I have done more experimenting on the skin settings and also some on eye settings. Overall, I like it, but the eyes still seem off to me. Agree?

I learned some interesting things about the volume settings and the glossy absorption color/scale that I will be sharing soon. I just need to make some demonstrative renderings to help clarify what I found.

Eyes2.png
    562 x 750 - 539K
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I nthink the eyes need some bump. They are too perfect.

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    I nthink the eyes need some bump. They are too perfect.

That's what it is! Well, they do have bump applied, but maybe not enough. I'm also wondering about the IOR I chose for the surface. It might be too high. I like the surface in the eyes I posted just previously much better. Maybe I will copy those settings and try again. How's it going in Lux on your end, Hellboy? Haven't heard much out of you in a few days.

edited December 1969

Been extremely busy unfortunately... I'd love to play more with this. :down:

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited April 2013

@Slosh
    Thanks for making your duf file available at sharecg, must admit as I downloaded the duf-Freak5 version, which meant that I had to purchase it to see your skin settings, well that's the reason I gave to myself.
    Made me realize that the Genesis figure I was using didn't have the skin shader as default and hence I had to apply the skin surface shader and re do all the UV maps, something I would not have known had it not been for your downloaded duf file.

Using that, plus other suggestions in this thread helped.

Thanks.

Still using a geoshell for the eye shine though, but it leaves a dark ring around the eyes, even with shadows off.
    Plus the elbow joint is poor.

image3-1ksp.png
    800 x 600 - 538K
    Post edited by none01ohone on
    edited December 1969

@Slosh
    Thanks for making your duf file available at sharecg, must admit as I downloaded the duf-Freak5 version, which meant that I had to purchase it to see your skin settings, well that's the reason I gave to myself.
    Made me realize that the Genesis figure I was using didn't have the skin shader as default and hence I had to apply the skin surface shader and re do all the UV maps, something I would not have known had it not been for your downloaded duf file.

Using that, plus other suggestions in this thread helped.

Thanks.

Still using a geoshell for the eye shine though, but it leaves a dark ring around the eyes, even with shadows off.
    Plus the elbow joint is poor.

Wow, this looks really good! Is the elbow joint poor because of the shader, or is it just a bend thing? If it's a shader issue, I have realized that changing the glossy-translucent absorption scale will help with the dark outlines we get with my current settings. Just try it in .10 increments, not going higher than 0.8. I have to say, though, I don't think that is the problem and you have done very well with your settings.

The eye thing with the geo shell is new for me. I haven't messed with geo shells, yet. I wanted to try it for the eyes, but as far as I know, a shell is created for the entire Genesis figure, which I feel is too much geometry. Or, can a shell be created for just the eyes? I don't know. If you are using glass or glass 2 for the eye shell, make sure you turn on "Architectural" or you will get the strange refraction that causes the dark outlines.

I'm glad you downloaded, and as for buying Freak, well any reason you need. I gave myself the reason, for buying all the morphs, that I am going to design clothes and I need to have them all to test with. LOL.

Maybe you can share the settings you adjusted to make this very nice feminine skin? I really do like it.

edited December 1969

Glad U like it, but I'm only picking everyone's brains here.
    Yes I selected the geoshell and turned off visability in the perameters tab for all but the eye components, which Glass2 material was used, and fitted the bikini top to the geoshell, as it stopped the clothing straps from intersecting Genesis.
    I will post my skin settings, though they are a combination of previous settings.

I'm just a noob, but having fun tinkering.

edited December 1969

Not really sure which settings were changed so I typed this out.

These are the settings used for my Luxus/Luxrender.

UV set Victoria4
    Diffuse Colour 255 255 255 / UV mapped
    Diffuse Active: on
    Diffuse Strength: 100%
    Diffuse Roughness: 1.0
    Opacity Strength: 100%
    Opacity Active: On
    Opacity Colour: 255 255 255
    Refraction Active: Off
    Index of Refraction: 1.30
    Smooth: On
    Angle: 89.90
    Bump Active: On
    Bump Strength: 30.0% / UV mapped
    Bump Minimum: -0.15
    Bump Maximum: 0.15
    Displacement Active: Off
    Displacement Strength -
    Displacement min: / max -
    Trace Displacements: Off
    Map Tiling U/V : 1 -
    Specular Active: On
    Specular Colour: 158 188 217 / UV mapped
    Specular Strength: 20%
    Glossiness: 20%
    Specular Sharpness 0%
    Specular2 Active: On
    Specular2 Colour: 209 223 237
    Specular2 Strength: 10%
    Specular2 Roughness: 10%
    Specular2 Sharpness: 0%
    Multiply Specular Through Opacity: On
    Ambient Active: On
    Ambient Colour: 23 11 3
    Ambient Strength: 10%
    Reflection Active: Off
    Reflection Mode: Environment Map
    Reflection Environment Map: 255 255 255
    Reflection Colour: 255 255 255
    Reflection Strength: 100%
    Reflection Blur: 0%
    Reflection Blur Samples: 4
    Multiply Reflection Through Opacity: On
    Fresnel Active: Off
    Fresnel Strength: 0%
    Fresnel Falloff: 0.050
    Fresnel Sharpness: 0%
    Velvet Active: On
    Velvet Colour: 189 217 232
    Velvet Strengh: 25%
    Velvet Falloff: 15%
    Subsurface Active: On
    Subsurface Colour: 107 64 47
    Subsurface Strength: 60%
    Subsurface Group: 0
    Subsurface Shading Rate: 32
    Translucency Active: On
    Translucency Colour: 165 23 11
    Translucency Strength: 20%
    Accept Shadows: On
    Luxrender Extra Settings: -
    Luxrender Opacity: 1.00
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Diffuse Colour: 255 255 255 / UV mapped
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Transmission Colour: 255 255 255 / UV mapped
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Specular Colour: 143 176 186 / UV mapped
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Specular IOR: 1.40
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Roughness U: 0.20
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Roughness V: 0.20
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Absorption Colour: 0 50 71
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Absorption Depth: 0.40
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - Multibounce: On
    Luxrender Glossy Translucent - One Sided: On
    Backface stuff - Off
    Luxrender Volume Type: Homogeneous
    Luxrender Volume Absorption Colour: 128 255 255
    Luxrender Volume Absorption Scale: 100
    Luxrender Volume Scattering Colour: 255 108 100
    Luxrender Volume Scattering Scale: 250
    Luxrender Volume Scattering Asy R: 0
    Luxrender Volume Scattering Asy G: 0
    Luxrender Volume Scattering Asy B: 0
    Luxrender Mesh - Bumpmap: 0.0010 / UV mapped
    Luxrender - Normalmap: 1.0

Genesis/Annabelle: Single Light Plane 100W Emitter lowdiscrepancy Reinhard-Nonlinear render

edited December 1969

Not really sure which settings were changed so I typed this out.

These are the settings used for my Luxus/Luxrender.

Oh, wow. Please tell me you did not type all that out by hand! So much work, I feel bad for asking you to post it. Could you do a screen grab next time? I just can't imagine typing all of that out, and I type 100+ wpm. Also, just for future reference, just include the LuxRender portion of the material, since Lux ignores the other stuff.

Anyway, I can see basically what you changed. You went for a shinier specular, a darker glossy-translucent absorption and a more pale volume absorption color. I think Iike that balance, I will have to try it. Great job!

edited December 1969

Just thought I would post my original lighting scheme for "The Honeymoon." I like this much better for skin tones and overall ambiance (not ambience). But, this was after about 3 hours and had only progressed to about 38 S/p and as you can see, way too grainy. Plus the wall sconces are blown out and I couldn't tone them down no matter what I tried. If I dimmed them enough to look less bright, they had no effect on the scene. Anyway, I'm going to continue this version while I sleep tonight. Maybe it will get good enough to where I can at least blend it with the other render in Photoshop and get some of the good details from it.

Honeymoon.png
    1000 x 708 - 1M
    edited December 1969

I don’t want to spam Slosh’s thread, but it kinda evolved in the Luxus skin thread... Should we make another one?

I’m doing a Luxus preset for the Phillip texture.
    I’m trying different stuff and would like feedback. Right is with one light showing the volume.
    Don’t mind the eyes, that’s the automatic translate. I’m concentrating on the skin right now.
    What I’ve found out is that I don’t like to use Scattering Scale. It wash out the volume and texture detail. Probably just me not understanding it well. But I always get better results without it.
    What do you think about this?

Phillip_Luxus_Test.jpg
    650 x 609 - 172K
    edited April 2013

Hellboy said:
    I don’t want to spam Slosh’s thread, but it kinda evolved in the Luxus skin thread... Should we make another one?

I’m doing a Luxus preset for the Phillip texture.
    I’m trying different stuff and would like feedback. Right is with one light showing the volume.
    Don’t mind the eyes, that’s the automatic translate. I’m concentrating on the skin right now.
    What I’ve found out is that I don’t like to use Scattering Scale. It wash out the volume and texture detail. Probably just me not understanding it well. But I always get better results without it.
    What do you think about this?

Hijack away, seriously. Although, maybe if we started a "Luxus skin thread" it might get more traffic. Having my name in the title might make people think it's too specific.

I like the volume you achieved. I tend to agree lately about the scattering scale, or at least the volume settings in general. I was thinking about it last night while trying to fall asleep. I actually have more of a problem with the volume absorption scale and I'm thinking of trying a render without that, but still include scattering scale. Here is a pic I did with backlight and some absorption/scattering settings. This is completely with no textures at all and no glossy absorption or spec. Only volume settings, with crazy colors chosen to be able to see the differences.

d317.png
    500 x 700 - 112K
    Post edited by Slosh on
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My version of Derek in his freak body suit :D Just need to get decent eyes and then I can cloth him though maybe the ladies on here will want him nude ;)

barbarian.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 405K
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    My version of Derek in his freak body suit :D Just need to get decent eyes and then I can cloth him though maybe the ladies on here will want him nude ;)

Looking good. A tip, if you don't mind, for your next render of him: The bump seems a little high, so his specularity isn't showing through like it should. Maybe lower the bump to around 0.001 or .00075. Just try a sample at that setting, and see what that does.

edited April 2013

Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:

Looking good. A tip, if you don't mind, for your next render of him: The bump seems a little high, so his specularity isn't showing through like it should. Maybe lower the bump to around 0.001 or .00075. Just try a sample at that setting, and see what that does.

Dropped the bump from 0.0010 to 0.0005 I cant see much difference, there is also normal maps at 1.0, both the bumps and normal maps are the originals.

barbarian.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 407K
    Post edited by Michael G on
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:

Dropped the bump from 0.0010 to 0.0005 I cant see much difference, there is also normal maps at 1.0, both the bumps and normal maps are the originals.

I do see some difference, I think it's better. I guess my taste just wants to see more shine and I thought the bump would help that. It did help, but not enough to have been necessary to change it. Just out of curiosity, what are your settings for spec color, map, IOR and roughness? I'm talking Lux, of course.

edited December 1969

Derek spec maps 192, 192, 192 ior1.45 uv 0.20 for both.

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Derek spec maps 192, 192, 192 ior1.45 uv 0.20 for both.

Exactly what I would have set it for. I think I know the problem... just experienced the same with a render I am playing with. The sampler makes the difference. lowdiscrancy is faster, but metropolis will properly pick up highlights, especially in the eyes and the skin will look better. Try turning off the scatter completely: set to black and scale to 0. Switch to metropolis. It will render just as quickly, and thanks to Hellboy's suggestions, you won't get the red sparkles, but the renders with/without scatter look virtually identical.

edited December 1969

Hmmmbim already using metro, dont use any thing else except for changeing bidirectional or path. I will try the scatter tomorrow. Thanks.

edited December 1969

I think that looks better, i had to drop the UV down to default 0.10

barbarian.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 374K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Hijack away, seriously. Although, maybe if we started a "Luxus skin thread" it might get more traffic. Having my name in the title might make people think it's too specific. ...

As it is your own thread, you could edit the first message and edit the title of the thread.
    Please, it is hard enough to keep up with all the informations - the more threads, the easier information gets lost.
    Please?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Slosh said:
    Hijack away, seriously. Although, maybe if we started a "Luxus skin thread" it might get more traffic. Having my name in the title might make people think it's too specific. ...

As it is your own thread, you could edit the first message and edit the title of the thread.
    Please, it is hard enough to keep up with all the informations - the more threads, the easier information gets lost.
    Please?

I agree, Slosh please rename it and then we can use it a resource for Glossy translucent skin settings.

• edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Kerya said:
    Slosh said:

Please?

I agree, Slosh please rename it and then we can use it a resource for Glossy translucent skin settings.

I, too, agree. This thread has been very informative and a new thread on the same topic would be reudundant as well making it more difficult to find the information.

edited December 1969

I have renamed the thread to "Luxus Skin Settings". Hopefully it will attract the right traffic. Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far. It's been a real blast exchanging ideas and settings to come up with some really great settings.

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

Yes, I like that, too! More of what I was thinking of when I made those suggestions. Do you like it better with the gloss? If it's too strong for you, just darken the specular color.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:

Yes, I like that, too! More of what I was thinking of when I made those suggestions. Do you like it better with the gloss? If it's too strong for you, just darken the specular color.

No its fine, a little natural gloss is good, it may well look different once hes lit properly anyway.

edited December 1969

Getting there, some specular work to do on his gear and then to find an environment.

While I think about it, I sussed the problem with the freak vein displacement maps, they need micro displacement in order for them to work.

barbarian.jpg
    1415 x 2000 - 366K
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

Looks pretty good to me. It looked a little dry before, but now looks cool.

Glad you changed the thread name. Hope more people will share their discoveries here.

BTW, someone else would be nice enough to give feedback on the Phillip Elite (M5 default textures) setting I'm working on? I plan to share Luxus material presets for Phillip, so I'd like to please as many as possible. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20918/P60/#314254

edited December 1969

@hellboy looks like there's a lot of red?

my settings for Derek 5

settings_2.jpg
    396 x 763 - 97K
    settings_1.jpg
    389 x 771 - 105K
  • thomasbrandy287@yahoo.com[email protected] Posts: 58
    edited April 2013

Hellboy said:

BTW, someone else would be nice enough to give feedback on the Phillip Elite (M5 default textures) setting I'm working on? I plan to share Luxus material presets for Phillip, so I'd like to please as many as possible. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20918/P60/#314254

The pic is small, but i think is a little too mush on SSS. The ankle and foot are not so thin to see so much SSS
    Nice works and many thanks to everyone for the settings.

Just for comparison this is an image rendered in Modo with the default Modo shader skin and an area light behind

ModoSSS.jpg
    1072 x 1142 - 46K
    Post edited by [email protected] on