Luxus Skin Settings

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Thanks mjc1016 :)

reading through 133 pages of luxus discussion.

some amazing renders in there.

and tips. like, skydomes and shadowcasting. the Elf Lanterns. Accelerators.

Confused between the console and the gui option.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Hellboy's render at Deviantart where he tells more about the snake howto
    http://hellboysoto.deviantart.com/art/LUXUS-362283287

and more about it here and in the following posts:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18543/P1050/#288736

i see some Vincent in his gallery :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Console...no user interaction, command line only...Luxrender runs, reads the .lxs file...renders and creates the tonemapped image. 'Status' is printed out on a new line, in the 'console' every so often.

Gui...the user interface with all the bells and whistles.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited February 2014

Also, the gui lets you do neat tricks like adjusting lighting groups (while the render is still running!) or using the Refine Brush (which tells LuxRender to pay more or less attention to part of your render: useful if you have e.g. a speckle patch that refuses to go away).

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited February 2014

is it on an option pane to open the gui?
    the answer to this must be so obvious, no one needs to mention it :lol:

is it possible to put a keyboard shortcut in the option pane? so i don't have to open the pane to activate luxus materials.

can i convert to luxus materials for everything in the scene in one go?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

is it on an option pane to open the gui?
    the answer to this must be so obvious, no one needs to mention it :lol:

It should be on the Render Settings...one of the parameters when you switch from 3DL to Luxrender via Luxus

is it possible to put a keyboard shortcut in the option pane? so i don't have to open the pane to activate luxus materials.

Possibly...but I don't know how, never bothered to do those kind of customizations to DS.

Sort of...if you just export, Luxus will auto-convert what it can...but they won't be optimal.

edited December 1969

You can, but it might not be a good idea. The problem (in the current Luxus version) with the differences in materials is that values get transferred unchanged into the new LuxRender parameters. Mostly, of course, this is exactly what you want. But some of the LuxRender surface properties — especially Bump, Displacement and Specular, perhaps a few others — use very, very low values. Also, many different kinds of materials need different LuxRender presets (matte, glossy, metal, glass, etc.); you can't just convert all of them at once automatically into the proper material type.

E.g. Bump and Displacement in D|S is measured in centimetres, but in LuxRender the same number means "metres". Specular and surface roughness (vital for glossy or metal surfaces) have limits beyond which the object looks unnaturally "super-matte" or "super-glossy". All of these will need manual tweaking before you try even a test render.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

Also, the gui lets you do neat tricks like adjusting lighting groups (while the render is still running!) or using the Refine Brush (which tells LuxRender to pay more or less attention to part of your render: useful if you have e.g. a speckle patch that refuses to go away).

THe light groups in the Lux Render GUI are there so that you can easily figure out how to adjust the output of your lights in your exporter. When it comes down to the final render, the Lux devs recommend placing all your lights into one group as this will conserve memory.

edited February 2014

I am illuminated.

(Sorry, Zen straight line, had to be done.)

edited February 2014

is there a script, or possible to make a script, that could remove all the bricks Luxus ignores from the shader?

it would be so much easier to eyeball the thing, lol

ooo a gorgeous still life http://michaelg1234.deviantart.com/art/A-place-to-relax-2-378330581 :bug: woww wowww just saw it full size
    hmm, says luxrender, doesn't mention luxus though

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

surely someone has worked on a Sylfie setting :)

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

is there a script, or possible to make a script, that could remove all the bricks Luxus ignores from the shader?

ooo a gorgeous still life http://michaelg1234.deviantart.com/art/A-place-to-relax-2-378330581 :bug: woww wowww just saw it full size

For some reason, in the surfaces pane, checking "Show Hidden" actually hides unused Luxus settings rather than unhiding them. Then, if you type Lux in the search pane, it will show you only the Luxus settings and not the DS settings. I often do this when tweaking my Luxus settings.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:

For some reason, in the surfaces pane, checking "Show Hidden" actually hides unused Luxus settings rather than unhiding them. Then, if you type Lux in the search pane, it will show you only the Luxus settings and not the DS settings. I often do this when tweaking my Luxus settings.

Have you tried the Eluxir yet?

i'm hoping to give it a go this weekend.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

I've been working on skin settings for V4 and I'm fairly happy with this result. All materials in this rendering were converted to LuxRender materials including the hair, which was set to glossy translucent. The outfit was metal2 gold and cotton twill with thread count set at 800. The only materials auto converted where the eyes and teeth. I will focus on glossy eyes at a later date. V4 was subdivided. If anyone is interested I'll post my settings.

v4_skin_test.jpg
    999 x 1500 - 412K
  • StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

JartStar said:
    I've been working on skin settings for V4 and I'm fairly happy with this result. All materials in this rendering were converted to LuxRender materials including the hair, which was set to glossy translucent. The outfit was metal2 gold and cotton twill with thread count set at 800. The only materials auto converted where the eyes and teeth. I will focus on glossy eyes at a later date. V4 was subdivided. If anyone is interested I'll post my settings.

I'm interested. Please post your settings :)

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Been a while since I've fiddled with the skin settings so I'm in need of a refresher. Please post your skin settings, after all, that's what this tread is for.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Late reply, but here they are for V4. I converted the skin to glossy translucent and used these settings. It is very important to set the diffuse and transmission color to the bitmap of the skin, and the specular color to the specular bitmap; obviously the bump map to be the correct one as well.

v4settings2_-_Copy.png
    442 x 337 - 15K
    v4settings1_-_Copy.png
    440 x 850 - 39K
  • StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the settings JartStar. I'll give them a try :-)

• andy78andy78 Posts: 10
    edited May 2014

Cause those translucent lux material settings look mostly weird here and take hours to cook, i did just the following in slosh's cube scene (see render above):

luxrender-settings: linear ISO 60 / shutter 0.7 / f-stop 2.8 / gamma 2.2
    light: one luxus area light xrotated -114
    model: genesis 1 with custom morphs
    skin: merchant resource freckled for v4 (nonfreckled version), nothing changed in skin materials except glossiness to 0
    luxmaterials: nothing except volume for bumpmap
    render stopped at only 120 s/p

Same good (in my opinion) results with other skins, it is all about the (daz) glossiness set near 0, lux changes the material to the more light grey the higher the glossiness value is, at near 0 everything is good, and that problem is on all materials, not only human skin.
    Looking forward to some opinions :)

P.S. hope the black censor boxes are big enough for daz ...

edit: image removed cause of the black boxes, i'll render another one

Post edited by andy78 on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips andreasrauh. I'll try some of the settings that people have posted.

Regarding the black bars, Mr. Richard Haseltine says:

In the absence of content filters we’ve been seeing use of black bars, dots and other additions to images used to conceal nudity. Unfortunately we can’t consider these workarounds to be an acceptable solution.

Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity

You could put a bikini on her.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,512
    edited December 1969

Actually you can't post images with the black boxes http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279_4/

looks nice though.

edited December 1969

thanks, i delete it and cook another with bikini

edited December 1969

Cause those translucent lux material settings look mostly weird here and take hours to cook, i did just the following in slosh's cube scene (see render above):

luxrender-settings: linear ISO 60 / shutter 0.7 / f-stop 2.8 / gamma 2.2
    light: one luxus area light xrotated -114
    model: genesis 1 with custom morphs
    skin: merchant resource freckled for v4 (nonfreckled version), nothing changed in skin materials except glossiness to 0
    luxmaterials: nothing except volume for bumpmap
    render stopped at only 120 s/p

Same good (in my opinion) results with other skins, it is all about the (daz) glossiness set near 0, lux changes the material to the more light grey the higher the glossiness value is, at near 0 everything is good, and that problem is on all materials, not only human skin.
    Looking forward to some opinions :)

edit: image removed cause of the black boxes, i'll render another one

Here is the new picture with a simple unicoloured bikini instead of boxes ... and to say it clearly, i meant the translucent settings here are looking weird here on my renders, not in the pictures posted here :)

d232.png
    900 x 1200 - 1M
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this is answered in another section, but can someone help me with displacements? I want to get a good vein/vascularity on skin and would like to know if anyone knows the proper settings.

Thanks in advance

edited December 1969

Just like bump, the displacement value is measured in centimetres for D|S and in metres for LuxRender, so whatever value is in the standard parameter settings should be divided by 100 for the LuxRender parameter. Note that the displacement isn't automatically transferred by Luxus, you have to set it up manually for each material that has a displacement map applied.

edited December 1969

Just like bump, the displacement value is measured in centimetres for D|S and in metres for LuxRender, so whatever value is in the standard parameter settings should be divided by 100 for the LuxRender parameter. Note that the displacement isn't automatically transferred by Luxus, you have to set it up manually for each material that has a displacement map applied.

Are you talking about the offset or the scale?

edited December 1969

Hmm, that's a good question, I didn't realise displacement settings were so different from bump — and as usual, the LuxRender wiki is somewhere between vague and misleading on the subject (only talking about Blender, I think). Have to do some reading up about that, but I think the D|S displacement value corresponds to the LuxRender displacement Scale value. I can't quite figure out what the wiki means about the Offset value; "a shrink/fatten modifier"?

edited December 1969

Say, quick question:

Early on in the render (around 50 samples), a lot of materials that don't use matte settings (e.g. glossy translucent) look shinyish/white. Is this normal?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

To me, that is normal. I need to run Luxrender for 30 minutes before the glossy materials doesn't look too shiny. Luxrender needs to send more samples to the glossy materials compared to matte from what I understand.

edited May 2014

Early on in the render (around 50 samples), a lot of materials that don't use matte settings (e.g. glossy translucent) look shinyish/white. Is this normal?

That depends; the major culprit in "shiny stuff all white" is the specular value, which must be much lower in LuxRender than it is for a standard D|S material. Have you checked that in the glitching materials? Does the over-whiteness go away eventually as the render continues? It might also be due to your lighting rig, are you using the same lights for the scene as you were in D|S, or is it set up with actual LuxRender lights?