Luxus Skin Settings

1234579

Comments

  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Barubary said:
    Estroyer said:

    From what I've seen the results are much more realistic without it and doesn't make the figure look "waxy".
    The only time when I think transluscence looks good is when using very low lighting, or when light comes from behind the figure when making a silouette.

    Since, from what I understand, human skin kinda is translucent I would say "No, when it's well done, translucency does make skin more realistic."

    The waxy look skin seems more like a stylistic choice to me, and I have to admit, I usually kinda like the look. Depending on how well it is used.

    Human skin is semi transparent but is also multi-layered.

  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,277
    edited December 1969

    Michael_G said:
    Nice job Estroyer but as previously said his skin looks dry, excellent detail though. I ahve a new image baking that uses glossy and spec maps, I will post it here once it`s done.

    Guess it boils down to personal preferences :) So far I have not been able to use transluscence settings and getting an outcome to my satisfaction.
    Could you post a screeny of your specular/glossy settings from the imagine you're baking?
    Like this thread a lot by the way, I learned a lot so far, so I imagine that getting the hang of the waxy feel is just another step forward :D

  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Estroyer said:
    Michael_G said:
    Nice job Estroyer but as previously said his skin looks dry, excellent detail though. I ahve a new image baking that uses glossy and spec maps, I will post it here once it`s done.

    Guess it boils down to personal preferences :) So far I have not been able to use transluscence settings and getting an outcome to my satisfaction.
    Could you post a screeny of your specular/glossy settings from the imagine you're baking?
    Like this thread a lot by the way, I learned a lot so far, so I imagine that getting the hang of the waxy feel is just another step forward :D

    Yes of course, should be later this evening. I just want get a few more hundred samples into the image.

  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Estroyer said:
    Michael_G said:
    Nice job Estroyer but as previously said his skin looks dry, excellent detail though. I ahve a new image baking that uses glossy and spec maps, I will post it here once it`s done.

    Guess it boils down to personal preferences :) So far I have not been able to use transluscence settings and getting an outcome to my satisfaction.
    Could you post a screeny of your specular/glossy settings from the imagine you're baking?
    Like this thread a lot by the way, I learned a lot so far, so I imagine that getting the hang of the waxy feel is just another step forward :D

    Heres the settings now and I will post the image later this evening. These settings were used on Danaes Dublin.

    settings.jpg
    376 x 494 - 61K
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,277
    edited June 2013

    Ah thanks, I need to do some chores and after I will give these a try myself. Just roamed your DA page, loved the kitchensink render! And was intrigued by the butcher!

    EDIT

    Okidoki, render is ongoing.
    I am using the new V6 eyes as well just for fun.

    Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    dragon.jpg
    1400 x 1979 - 434K
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,277
    edited December 1969

    She is very beautiful! She reminds me of Pepper from Iron man. Same skintype!
    Here is my comparison render with your glossy settings. I have to admit that it does add a little extra demension to the skin! Please don't mind the eyes, I forgot to adjust the surface settings and it was about the skin anyways ;)

    Left one is with your settings, right one is mine.

    skin7.jpg
    1250 x 672 - 565K
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Estroyer said:
    She is very beautiful! She reminds me of Pepper from Iron man. Same skintype!
    Here is my comparison render with your glossy settings. I have to admit that it does add a little extra demension to the skin! Please don't mind the eyes, I forgot to adjust the surface settings and it was about the skin anyways ;)

    Left one is with your settings, right one is mine.

    The thing to remember:- is what skin type of your looking for, skin can be dry or wet. I find lips really hard to replicate.

  • SiliconAyaSiliconAya Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

    Michael_G said:
    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    Very nice, a little wet looking, but I'm assuming that's deliberate, but those lips OMG, please please please what settings did you use for those?

    I also often have to spend a long time on lips, but you've outdone yourself with these ones.

  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,318
    edited December 1969

    Michael_G said:
    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    Wow, beautifully done, especially her face.

  • RF InteractiveRF Interactive Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

    Michael_G said:
    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    Nice picture indeed.

    I am having difficulties getting anything that resembles useable human skin in luxus (apart from the auto converting) and must be missing something.

    Would you mind posting the custom luxus skin settings you have used for this image?

    Would be much appreciated.

  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Michael_G said:
    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    Nice picture indeed.

    I am having difficulties getting anything that resembles useable human skin in luxus (apart from the auto converting) and must be missing something.

    Would you mind posting the custom luxus skin settings you have used for this image?

    Would be much appreciated.

    See post no.184.

  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Michael_G said:
    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    Very nice, a little wet looking, but I'm assuming that's deliberate, but those lips OMG, please please please what settings did you use for those?

    I also often have to spend a long time on lips, but you've outdone yourself with these ones.

    Believe it or not pretty much anything I do is not deliberate, it evolves as I work on it and I stop when im happy.

    Here are the lip settings.

    lips.jpg
    368 x 450 - 57K
  • Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Slosh said:
    Michael_G said:
    Here we go, hope you guys like it.

    Wow, beautifully done, especially her face.

    Thanks slosh.

  • austin_paracleteaustin_paraclete Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

    After reading through this thread and following Michael_G and Slosh settings for the skin, the render shows a perfect wet looking skin for the body. However, I cannot seem to get the face to look wet. My face has the same setting as the body skin. The figure is genesis 2 with Nyssa skin. Is this a lighting problem or skin?

    test.jpg
    874 x 755 - 94K
  • szalaiszalai Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    OK I have tried everything - it seems that some had troubles with too much bump or displacement - mz problem is the opposite. I cannot trnsfer the displacement into LuxRender

    How can I make this render simillarz in LuxRender?

    This was done with 3Delight

    001.png
    1000 x 1414 - 1M
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,277
    edited December 1969

    Slosh!
    Until this day I make use of the tips and tricks from this thread, I learned so much from this :)
    Now with M6 out, I am finding myself lost again.
    I have been trying to tweak the settings, but honestly I have no idea what I am doing ><</p>

    There are:
    -default templates
    -legacy surfaces
    -surfaces
    -skin

    I have trouble keeping these apart and also my M6 eye are either completely white or black.
    I am using your eye settings (I believe they are from DA) but it doesn't seem to work on M6 :(

    reality_scene.png
    500 x 437 - 125K
    skin.png
    170 x 220 - 11K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,318
    edited December 1969

    I haven't tried Luxus with M6 yet, so I can't give you any real life answers. But, if you just use the "Legacy Surfaces" list, it will look the same as you are used to. The categories you listed are just to give different options for selecting groups of surfaces. Legacy was in there so that you could see a familiar list.

    The eyes are white because there is now a EyeReflection surface, which is covering the entire eye. Just give it the same material you give to the cornea and you should be fine.

    I will take a little time (probably this weekend) and do some more Luxus work and see if I can shed some new insight.

  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,277
    edited November 2013

    Thanks for clearing this up!
    I will give it a try right away :)

    Looking forward to your findings!

    Post edited by Sylvan on
  • stiks1954stiks1954 Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

    Hey Slosh,

    I've had Luxus since it first came out but haven't really got into until today (thanks to you post), been using the Lux Reality plugin mostly.

    So I decided to give Luxus a try using your Scene file from ShareCG (thx BTW).

    Here is what I call a pre-viz render just to see what is what so to speak.

    Although I only ran it for a short time, I'm impressed. So much so I am going to do more tests and post the results here.

    Comments?

    Luxrender_Stats.png
    546 x 41 - 13K
    Luxus_Skin_Test_1.png
    885 x 1181 - 928K
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,318
    edited December 1969

    Stiks1954 said:
    Hey Slosh,

    I've had Luxus since it first came out but haven't really got into until today (thanks to you post), been using the Lux Reality plugin mostly.

    So I decided to give Luxus a try using your Scene file from ShareCG (thx BTW).

    Here is what I call a pre-viz render just to see what is what so to speak.

    Although I only ran it for a short time, I'm impressed. So much so I am going to do more tests and post the results here.

    Comments?

    I think it's great that you are going to run more tests and share your results. That's the point of this thread :) I have recently started working with Luxus and these settings again, trying to recapture the momentum I had going when I started this thread. The past several months I have been busy working on other projects, so I haven't spent enough time in Luxus and forgot a lot of what I've shared here. Maybe this time I will be learning something from you. I look forward to seeing your results.

  • PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

    I've been experimenting the last couple of days with V6 HD and Luxus and wanted to post my result. I haven't been very satisfied with glossy translucent skin on V6 HD so I decided to play with the settings of the skin (since there are so many for the HD) and render it without a conversion to a LuxRender material. The biggest challenge was the flat looking skin without any sheen. I discovered that by turning up the specular significantly and the reflection I could get sheen on skin. In this example I overdid it on purpose and so she looks rather sweaty. I also saved these out as 16 bit HDR files, and converted them with no HDR adjustments back to 8 bit to try to keep as much dynamic range as possible from the original.

    The second image is the skin converted to glossy translucent using Slosh's posted settings. I like it OK, but it needs more adjustment, particularly on the face. The lips were not converted. Speaking of lips I discovered that a lot of sheen on lips looks good when close up if there's lipstick, and this can be accomplished with the specular increase and a very high reflection rate (80%+).

    v6_skin_lux.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 106K
    v6_skin_no_lux.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 106K
  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 29,018
    edited December 1969

    Estroyer said:
    Slosh!
    Until this day I make use of the tips and tricks from this thread, I learned so much from this :)
    Now with M6 out, I am finding myself lost again.
    I have been trying to tweak the settings, but honestly I have no idea what I am doing ><</p>

    There are:
    -default templates
    -legacy surfaces
    -surfaces
    -skin

    I have trouble keeping these apart and also my M6 eye are either completely white or black.
    I am using your eye settings (I believe they are from DA) but it doesn't seem to work on M6 :(


    +1 requests help, too

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 29,018
    edited February 2014

    woww :bug: fabulous.

    stumbled across a Hellboy render with Luxus http://www.luxrender.net/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=28934

    was there any postwork in that render or is it all Luxus?

    dreams to make art like that .... dreams!

    Post edited by Mystarra on
  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 29,018
    edited February 2014

    tying out that 'Sampler:LowDiscrepancy' tip

    thanks :)


    - doesn't make a speed difference on my pc. i only have 2 cores and 4gb of ram :roll:
    sigh

    Post edited by Mystarra on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

    woww :bug: fabulous.

    stumbled across a Hellboy render with Luxus http://www.luxrender.net/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=28934

    was there any postwork in that render or is it all Luxus?

    dreams to make art like that .... dreams!

    If I recall, HB does do some post...but mostly to add things like skin shadows to indicate deformations and such. I'm not sure if he had to do anything to that one...

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 29,018
    edited December 1969

    mjc1016 said:
    woww :bug: fabulous.

    stumbled across a Hellboy render with Luxus http://www.luxrender.net/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=28934

    was there any postwork in that render or is it all Luxus?

    dreams to make art like that .... dreams!

    If I recall, HB does do some post...but mostly to add things like skin shadows to indicate deformations and such. I'm not sure if he had to do anything to that one...


    haz a gorgeous snake skin, too :)

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 9,452
    edited December 1969

    Hellboy's render at Deviantart where he tells more about the snake howto
    http://hellboysoto.deviantart.com/art/LUXUS-362283287

    and more about it here and in the following posts:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18543/P1050/#288736

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 29,018
    edited February 2014

    Thanks so much :)

    no reply button in the discussion thread. oh i see, 100 pages.

    woww, amazing renders.


    Low quality test render, i used a titanium freshnal file with metal 2 and 4 levels of subdivision for the displacement. Looks ok I think.http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/288822/


    that's a low quality test render? :bug:

    i don't see a displacement slot under the luxus surfaces,
    - so for like M4's displacement maps, would it go in the 'normal' slot?

    .


    Yeah, when using LuxRender:

    1- ALWAYS Adjust materials specifically for LuxRender.
    2- ALWAYS create lighting specifically for LuxRender (better yet if you use HUGE meshlights or whatever they are called in Luxus).
    3- ALWAYS use the LuxRender GUI


    -how do i switch from DS to the LuxRender GUI? is there a luxus script hiding somewhere :)

    - and can i render straight to my hard drive? under the assumption it would go faster. :lol:

    No, it’s not the default conversion. I set the materials and lighting specifically for LuxRender.
    Guy and snake are Glossy Translucent with homogeneous volume for SSS. Snake has a Geometry Shell with Glass 2 with clear volume for an extra shiny coat.

    This is the render I’m more satisfied with so far. Thanks for creating Luxus.


    -what is a geometry shell?

    Thanks much :)

    Post edited by Mystarra on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited February 2014

    Thanks so much :)

    no reply button in the discussion thread. oh i see, 100 pages.

    woww, amazing renders.


    Low quality test render, i used a titanium freshnal file with metal 2 and 4 levels of subdivision for the displacement. Looks ok I think.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/288822/


    that's a low quality test render? :bug:

    i don't see a displacement slot under the luxus surfaces,
    - so for like M4's displacement maps, would it go in the 'normal' slot?


    -what is a geometry shell?

    To get the displacement options you need to check the "More Mesh Parameters" box when setting up the Luxrender material.

    In the Create menu it's an option Geometry Shell. It's a copy of the mesh surface, sort of a 'body suit'.

    Post edited by mjc1016 on
Sign In or Register to comment.