GenX and DSF Toolbox Updates for DS 4.5

Comments

• vienastoksvienastoks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yup, that's how it worked - I needed to drag individual PZ2 files from the file manager onto the Gen X tab and then switch on show hidden. :) Golly... But I'm happy it worked after all!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited April 2013

...[deleted text] ah found a solution then, good.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

The steps described by spiderland are the intended way of using GenX. Exporting the morphs in a CR2 should be not required for most cases, this is only a workaround in case of problems (or unsupported cases like binary morph injections).

vienastoks: In general, custom morphs should work as well, no matter where the inj scripts are stored. If GenX does not find a script, you should get an error message.

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

I finally got GenX & the Gen 3 add-on pack. It's amazing thus far, so big thank you to Dimension 3D once again for creating an essential script.

I'm running into a problem, though...
    I'm starting with older A3 characters that I own, many of which are by Thorne (love them). I'm having trouble with Gen X transferring the scaling of eyes. Can I get it to do it?

My current process is:
    Load A3 Complete
    Load a character (let's say, Mila A3).
    Select: Transfer On for All Non-Zeroed Morphs

Transfer Controlled Transforms ON
    Transfer Conditional Morphs ON
    Transfer Dial Groups ON

>> Create single morph.

Is there something else I should be doing/adding? The end result yields the morph but the eyeballs are bugging out and I have to scale them manually, which isn't a big deal, but I'd rather do it a better way, if there is one.

As an aside, I tried to create it as a controller but that didn't seem to work either.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

The older A3 characters usually had an extra eyefix pose in the poses folder ... but I don't know how to transfer that ...

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    The older A3 characters usually had an extra eyefix pose in the poses folder ... but I don't know how to transfer that ...

I believe you just click on the eyefix on the Genesis shape as if it were A3.

edited December 1969

You can convert character poses in the presets tab. This includes the positioning and scaling of eyes, if you choose to do so in the options.

• NansteinNanstein Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Hi there :)
    I just purchased Generation X. I'm using DS4.5.
    Do I need to download and install both the Windows 64bit files, or is one for DS4 and the other for DS4.5?
    Here they are:
    1.1.0.0_Win64bit
    1.2.0.0_Win64bit
    Many thanks in advance.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nanstein said:
    Hi there :)
    I just purchased Generation X. I'm using DS4.5.
    Do I need to download and install both the Windows 64bit files, or is one for DS4 and the other for DS4.5?
    Here they are:
    1.1.0.0_Win64bit
    1.2.0.0_Win64bit
    Many thanks in advance.

I'll take a stab and say go for the 1.2.0.0 version...if anything...if it doesn't work, just uninstall it and do the other version
  • assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I see people saying they still use the Gen3 models.

Okay, I don't see the older models up int he store (pretty sure they got rid of them when the Gen4 models been out for a while)

Anyway of getting Gen3 models today and their morphs packs?

And does anyone have comparison pictures? I would like to see a Gen3 morph(s) on Genesis, along with a Gen4 morph to Genesis, would be nice

edited December 1969

...all the base Gen 3 characters and morph sets are still available.

Just select "Daz Originals" on the store page menu then use the filters (Aiko3 David 3, etc... on the left sidebar to narrow down the search by each character.

the Freak and She Freak are Gen3 but don't have "3" in their name.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Generation X is on sale for 30% off
    http://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=genx&x=0&y=0

edited December 1969

I'll take a stab and say go for the 1.2.0.0 version...if anything...if it doesn't work, just uninstall it and do the other version

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll do that.
    Have a great week :)

edited December 1969

GenX 1.2.0.0 is for DS 4.5. GenX 1.1.0.0 is for DS 4.0. None of it will work with the other DS version.

edited December 1969

GenX 1.2.0.0 is for DS 4.5. GenX 1.1.0.0 is for DS 4.0. None of it will work with the other DS version.

Thank you so much. Awesome!

edited December 1969

Hmmm, I've been reading the most recent posts in this thread and I'm realizing many folks are using Gen X differently than me.

I'll go through how I use it. It might not be the best way, but it seems to work. Hopefully this might help cridgit and vienastoks with their issues.

1) Make sure you have M4/V4 Shapes for Genesis in addition to Gen X (or S4, A3, V3 - whatever is relevant to your character).
    2) Start DAZ Studio.
    3) Go to Window -> Tabs -> Gen X. Click on the top bar and attach it to the opposite side of your Content Library (for me, the CL is on the right side, so I'll attach Gen X to the left).
    4) We'll do a Michael 4 character. In the Content Manager, go to your Gen 4 stuff (e.g., your Poser library).
    a) Go to Figures -> DAZ People and drag Michael 4 to the center of the Gen X window.
    b) Go to Pose -> DAZ's Michael 4 -> Morph Injections and drag INJ Morphs++ M4 to the Gen X window.
    c) Repeat step (b) for Elite, Ethnic, or whatever if they're needed.
    d) Go to your desired character (in my case, I'll use Donovan for M4). Drag the body, then head morphs to the Gen X window (or just the body if you prefer).
    5) With the Gen X window staged, below the center panel, select "Create a single morph" then "Transfer On: for all non-zero values"
    6) Right below that, Michael 4 should be already selected. Click on Transfer. I'll just use "Donovan" for both the Identifier and Name.
    7) Load a Genesis figure into the scene.
    8) In the Shaping tab, for Actor -> Male, crank up Michael 4 to 1.0
    9) In the Shaping tab, for Actor -> Gen X, crank up Donovan to 1.0
    10) In the Shaping tab, for Torso, crank up Navel to 1.0

For V4 characters, it's pretty much the same thing. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Spiderland. These are the steps I'm taking, per the User Guide Quick Start, but I'm having the same issue mentioned by other folks in this thread when dragging M4 over into the GenX transfer tab. I am seeing only "head". My question is, at Step 4(a) above, when you drag M4 from the Figures library, does more than "head" show up for you? Or do you only see "head"? When you drag M4's injection morphs over from the Pose library, does that trigger recognition of the rest of him? :)

edited April 2013

...OK got GenX installed and working on the new system . Started rebuilding Genesis so I can recreate my Leela and Tracey Teen characters. Got V4 with the Morphs++ I needed to load. Got Steph5 with the needed morphs and NPMs to load. Then went to load Thorne's Tommi Character (for the head/face morph) the head/face morphs loaded fine though I had to reset the parameter scale to "0 - 1.0. So to verify they load correctly, I clicked New/don't save and reloaded Genesis. However, after doing so, the morph sliders went back to the default values of -10 to +10 instead of the value range I assigned.

How does one save the new parameter values for the sliders?

Also another oddity occurred. When I select "My Library" under Daz Studio Formats in the Content Library tab, the SP4 NPM icons appear in the pane underneath. That isn't supposed to happen, there should be nothing there.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:

Sometimes I get the same problem, so my trick is inject the morphs and export the figure as a new cr2. So I use the new cr2 in Gen X. This always solved my problems, I hope this can help on yours.

I've never exported a cr2 file before. I had hoped the base and destination paths would be pre-populated for me by the cr2 export utility, but nope. lol So, I read about what type of info it's asking for and tried, for the 'base', the path to M4's cr2 file, which is .../My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Libraries/Character/Daz People/, but this caused the error message that said it is an invalid location and I should "select a folder called "/Runtime/""

I am eager to learn how to do this, if it will help Gen X to work for my M4 :)

Thank you in advance.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited April 2013

Nanstein said:
    MBusch said:

Sometimes I get the same problem, so my trick is inject the morphs and export the figure as a new cr2. So I use the new cr2 in Gen X. This always solved my problems, I hope this can help on yours.

I've never exported a cr2 file before. I had hoped the base and destination paths would be pre-populated for me by the cr2 export utility, but nope. lol So, I read about what type of info it's asking for and tried, for the 'base', the path to M4's cr2 file, which is .../My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/Libraries/Character/Daz People/, but this caused the error message that said it is an invalid location and I should "select a folder called "/Runtime/""

I am eager to learn how to do this, if it will help Gen X to work for my M4 :)

Thank you in advance.

Is the path ".../My DAZ 3D Library" listed under "Poser Formats" within the Content Directory Manager? You can get to the Content Directory Manager via the "Content Library" tab and then use the top right menu button of the tab and select "Content Directory Manager...". If I recall correctly that error only happens if you try to save to a path not having been listed under "Poser Formats".

Edit: Also what Patience55 posted in the other thread (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18927/#310309) is true, the "Base Path" should stop at ".../My DAZ 3D Library/Runtime/", but it should fill out the "Base Path" automatically if the "Poser Format" directories are set correctly.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Nanstein said:
    Thank you, Spiderland. These are the steps I'm taking, per the User Guide Quick Start, but I'm having the same issue mentioned by other folks in this thread when dragging M4 over into the GenX transfer tab. I am seeing only "head". My question is, at Step 4(a) above, when you drag M4 from the Figures library, does more than "head" show up for you? Or do you only see "head"? When you drag M4's injection morphs over from the Pose library, does that trigger recognition of the rest of him? :)

Yes, generic Michael 4 by himself will only show "head." Michael 4 morphs++ and your custom morph (e.g., character) should yield more.

edited December 1969

Nanstein: When you load the original M4 CR2 into GenX, it will show only the head actor, because this is the only actor with morphs. This is the same when you load M4 into Poser or DS, except if you are using PowerLoader in DS, which loads all the morphs of additional morph packs automatically. For GenX, you need to load the morphs from the injection poses like "INJ Morphs++ M4".

Kyoto Kid: If you change parameter dial settings in DS, you have to save the asset to make the change permanent. (I'm not sure how exactly this is done, I just know it can be done.) The alternative is to edit the channel part in the DSF file directly in a text editor. (Pretty obvious how to do it, once you see the file in a text editor.) You can also set the value range when you create the morph with GenX in the dialog where you enter the morph name.

edited April 2013

...I'll try the former as I am not up on scripting at all.

-----

...found it.

edited December 1969

Nanstein: When you load the original M4 CR2 into GenX, it will show only the head actor, because this is the only actor with morphs. This is the same when you load M4 into Poser or DS, except if you are using PowerLoader in DS, which loads all the morphs of additional morph packs automatically. For GenX, you need to load the morphs from the injection poses like "INJ Morphs++ M4".

IT WORKED! :D THANK YOU! He's all there :D

edited December 1969

Hello, I made a K4 shaping morph from Clone as described on page 15 (if I remember correctly) of this thread using DSF Tools. Unfortunately my morph doesn't show up when newly created Genesis is selected. I tried search and looking under every heading. I tried different groups and folders - didn't help. How do I make it appear on Parameters or Shaping tabs?

If you were successful converting K4 clone to morph, I'd appreciate your help.

edited May 2013

...duplicate post due to connection reset.

edited December 1969

...I sort of did that by mistake as now every time I start up 4.5 Genesis loads in with Teen Julie's physique. I wonder if that happened when I saved the parameters I reset for the Tommi head morphs that I imported.

edited December 1969

Hello, I made a K4 shaping morph from Clone as described on page 15 (if I remember correctly) of this thread using DSF Tools. Unfortunately my morph doesn't show up when newly created Genesis is selected. I tried search and looking under every heading. I tried different groups and folders - didn't help. How do I make it appear on Parameters or Shaping tabs?

If you were successful converting K4 clone to morph, I'd appreciate your help.

With DSF Toolbox, you use the following steps to create a Kids clone morph for GenX:
    1. Go to the Clone2Morph tab.
    2. For "Input", select the file "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/CloneKids4.dsf".
    3. Check "Adjust joints".
    4. For "Output", select e.g. "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Clone/Kids4.dsf".
    5. Click "Create DSF".

The file in step 4 may be anything below "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs", the folder must exist.
    The morph will be located in Actor / Clones in the Shaping tab.

However, there seems to be a change in the file format recently. It may be that the morph isn't visible and working before you do the following adjustment:
    - Open the created DSF file in a text editor. (You may need to uncompress it before.)
    - Remove line 17:
    "name" : "CloneKids4",

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the format has been changed, I will include this in the next update of DSF Toolbox.

edited December 1969

That did it!

I removed the line with the Clone name and it appeared in the library. Thank you!

edited December 1969

..anybody haveing issues with GenX and the latest release of 4.6? Haven't installed it yet.

edited December 1969

As far as I tried, GenX works fine with DS 4.6.