GenX and DSF Toolbox Updates for DS 4.5

167891012»

Comments

• TharrickLawsonTharrickLawson Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I think at least some of the whole messup with Genesis install locations has been that I recently migrated my OS and programs to an SSD, but my runtimes etc are all on a separate drive. I may not have done so as cleanly as I should have, perhaps! I think the Install Manager hasn't helped matters, though :(

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Genesis Generation X2 and the GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 2 have been released.

For details, see the new announcement forum thread for GenX2.

• edited July 2015

I just purchased DSF Toolbox as the text said "The DSF Toolbox contains seven tools to work with DSF files for DAZ Studio 4 AND UP".

Now when I try it, it does not work at all! :(

Post edited by atnreg11_e7cfe12584 on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983

DSF Toolbox is a Windows external application.  When you launch it from the Windows Start Menu>All Programs>Dimension3D>DSF Toolbox>DSF Toolbox it doesn't open a window like the attached Image?

Screen Shot 07-17-15 at 01.40 AM.JPG
    923 x 536 - 179K
  • Yes it opens but when I try to load a DUF, it always says "No geometry or invalid format for DSF geometry file". Even for native "Genesis 2 Base Female.duf".

• same for Base female.dsf or any other DUF or DSF

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

Yes it opens but when I try to load a DUF, it always says "No geometry or invalid format for DSF geometry file". Even for native "Genesis 2 Base Female.duf".

The program is for opening DSF files, not DUF.   The only thing that it does for DUF files that I can see is Compress them.

What are you trying to do with DSF Toolbox?   There is a manula that comes with it, and the Overview on Page 2 will tell uyou exactly what it does.

I just tried this, and it loaded C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\Genesis2Female.dsf, and converted it to an OBJ file.

• Yes I read that overview (and before purchasing of course the text on the product page) and I thought I could use this to export DAZ actors to OBJ with more control and without DAZ than export from DAZ.

The DUF/DAZ in DAZ is very confusing and as DSFToolbox/DSF2OBJ lists DUFs too, I of course assumed it works with them.

When I save a new character preset in DAZ, there seems to be no DSF created so I cannot use this tool to do that.

When you export an OBJ file from DAZ Studio, there is an options dialogue which allows for many different options to be set, is there some reason that you don;t want to use that?

As far as I can see, all that DSF Toolbox does, is converts the native DS geometry format (DSF) into a useable Wavefront OBJ file.   There are no options that I can see that can be set, it just looks like a straight conversion from one format to another (at least in DSF to OBJ)   I may be wrong, I have DSF Toobox but I have seldpm used it.

If you bought this item in the last 30 days, you can of course ask for a refund if it does not meet your requirements, but if there is something in particular that you are trying to do, you could explain it here, and I'm sure we can advise you of the best way to go about it.

• edited July 2015

Thank you for your help :)

I just thought this would make it more automated to export a custom character (some preset modified with numerous morphs) to OBJ to be used in Lightwave. That works by normal export but I just hoped this tool would have made it even easier :)

I actually only bought DSF Toolbox when I saw it in the 50% software sale in DAZ store, I did not specifically earch for it wink

I have hundreds of DAZ stuff and I am making my own as photorealistic character as I can using different morph tools. I do all rendering in Lightwave with OctaneRender plugin so the materials are a bit complicated, so I hoped that this might help handling the bitmap files and material names etc.

I have been using DAZ for quite a long time but I am still newbie with it, especially when I need to convert UVmaps and textures. I have made a plugin for LW that can assign materials by surface names and so I hoped I could do some renaming for the materials before exporting with this tool.

Of course those features were not listed for DSF toolbox but as it was cheap, I thought I could try it and then as it did not work at all as I thought it would, I got a bit upset blush

Post edited by atnreg11_e7cfe12584 on

Thanks for letting us know.

• Although it won't add options thata ren't in the basic dialogue, for automating OBJ export have a look at Rob's sample script here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/export_obj_silent/start

• Thanks, I will check that out :)

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464

The DSON file format doesn't use file extensions to distinguish different content types. So, you have to know the content type otherwise, usually by the folder where the file is located. To convert a DSF into an OBJ, you need the DSF geometry file, usually located in the root folder for a figure in the data folder.

Additional options for DSF 2 OBJ are:
    - batch mode to convert several geometries
    - applying a morph file to modify the geometry (optionally with batch mode)
    - selecting the UV-map
    - including groups and/or materials or not