dForce Master - HairForce MEGA Thread [Commerical]

EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
edited December 2017 in The Commons

Hello passengers, please be adviced that the front of this ship is currently under renovation, we apologies for the messiness and inconvience wink

Hi guys!

This is my first dForce product I have developed for the almight dforce engine - Hair Simulation Preset for dForce Cloth Engine, or some may choose to call it - HairForce wink, please leave a comment on what you think and if you got any questions!

Go go go Store Page's here!

Index: (Links & Pages Coming Soon)

Product Description

Have you ever created a perfect pose, just to be ruined by gravity-defying hair?

Have you ever wanted to create some beautiful hair scene, just to be frustrated by the limitation of morphs?

Have you ever hoped that one day, you will be able to see your character's hair falling naturally onto the shoulder?

Have you ever waited to see physically realistic hair to finally arrive in your collection?

Now, the wait is over!

Introducing the first product of the dForce Master Series - designed to push dForce engine to its limit - the dForce Hair Simulation Presets!

Simulate your hair now, as simple as clicking a few buttons, and say no more to gravity-defying hair!

With the simulation presets, you can be adventurous, and attempt crazy hair arts and animations that are never possible before. Or you can be simple, making your hair resting naturally on any surfaces!

There are many simulation presets, from long hair to short hair, soft hair that bends easily to combed hair that does not move much from all, for you to choose from, and you can apply them on all different generations, from Genesis 2 to Genesis 8!

The product also comes with a detailed, image based tutorial on how to simulate your hair in dForce Engine!

It's time to go on a brand new journey with hair simulation in Daz Studio!

Keep in mind not every single hair would work and some might just give you a spectacular explosion

Things You Should Know Before Simulating (Under Construction)

Compatible Hair Database (Under Construction)

Post edited by EcVh0 on

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Looks interesting. Tell us more! smiley

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited November 2017

Looks interesting. Tell us more! smiley

It is basically a bunch of nicely set presets, or you can say shaders, to make hair simulation possible - since daz claims the simulation isn't supported on hair! laugh

You can do stuff like, making hair spread on the ground, or just bend backwards and see hair falling to your back wink

Most hair only has limited morphs, some are really awesome but the rest can only get you as far as moving hair by an inch, so if you want to see hair resting on the face, or pulling part of your hair by hand, or just things that you can not achieve with built-in morphs, this and dforce will be your friend

Post edited by EcVh0 on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

This sounds really really interesting!

This sounds really really interesting!

Thank you! But keep in mind not every single hair would work and some might just give you a spectacular explosion, along with your computer haha! wink

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

That'll be a good disclaimer to add to the product page, though I suppose the same is true with dForce in general.

I also assume it doesn't work with fibermesh.

Either way, I think this will be a popular item!

Toonces said:

That'll be a good disclaimer to add to the product page, though I suppose the same is true with dForce in general.

I also assume it doesn't work with fibermesh.

Either way, I think this will be a popular item!

Thank you! And yeah, I have tried my best to make it work with as many as possible, most of them works if a little weight map is added to the surface (I have included a tutorial on that as well)

I have not tested fibermesh hair, as it doesn't seem to have many in store.. (if you can find one, could you please grab me a link so I can test it on the presets?)

Here's a free one. It may be too short for dForce though.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/166286/lola-s-son-hair-for-free

I agree it's fairly rare to find a fibermesh hair, so not worth spending much time on testing.

Toonces said:

I agree it's fairly rare to find a fibermesh hair, so not worth spending much time on testing.

Yeah it might be! I will still have a look tho :)

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Yes, please!!!!

Toonces said:

I just ran a test on this hair, good news is it did not explode! The bad news is some weight map painting is needed because it does not have a scalp, but then there would be not much point stabilizing the hair's root because that pretty much covers the entire hair indecision I should go try out some longer ones!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,766

Looking forward to the release.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...do you have OOT's Rochelle Ponytail?  Love to see if it works on that.

Artini said:

Looking forward to the release.

Thank you!

kyoto kid said:

...do you have OOT's Rochelle Ponytail?  Love to see if it works on that.

I should have that... let me have a look!

• I hope daz supports you and gives you access to MANY hair products for...um...quality control and testing a'hem and this becomes a thing.

Now, the ultimate would be if you/we could direct the gravity somewhere (haven't played with Dforce yet so...) and get better hair blowing or falling looks.

And in turn, I'd like you or daz or us to keep updating the list of hair products that work with this. maybe in the official thread release- you keep updating the list.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...thanks.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited November 2017
    EcVh0 said:
    Toonces said:

I just ran a test on this hair, good news is it did not explode! The bad news is some weight map painting is needed because it does not have a scalp, but then there would be not much point stabilizing the hair's root because that pretty much covers the entire hair indecision I should go try out some longer ones!

First - thanks for this.  Looks intriguing, and I am sure will do very well.

Also, I am curious about the "bad news" cited above.  I have been experimenting with porting some custom dynamic strand-based hair to Studio via a new plugin that converts dynamic strand based hair to a more traditional polygon model.  Really just experimenting right now, but your project could be a great way to make such converted hair far more useful and versatile.  The plugin can affect how thick the poyon strands are.  Dynamic conversions from Carrara could be done with or without a skullcap.  Am I correct that you are saying a skullcap would be preferred?

Sorry, I have to hunt down the thread for the dynamic-to-prop conversion, but here is an example for a man's receding hairline.  It is just proof of concept so don't expect too much.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2831906/#Comment_2831906

EDIT:  Still searching for the explanation thread, but here is the free plugin to convert dynamic hair to prop hair, which I am then hoping to drape using your project.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-time-savers/

EDIT 2:  Here is the thread with discussion of the plugin to convert dynamic hair to prop.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2603396/#Comment_2603396

Post edited by Diomede on
  • You have become the closest thing to a god I have ever seen...I have been dreaming about physics and hair since first opening Daz, so following this with bated breath!  I want to start throwing money at you now!  ;)

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078

This looks very promising!

avxp said:

I hope daz supports you and gives you access to MANY hair products for...um...quality control and testing a'hem and this becomes a thing.

Now, the ultimate would be if you/we could direct the gravity somewhere (haven't played with Dforce yet so...) and get better hair blowing or falling looks.

And in turn, I'd like you or daz or us to keep updating the list of hair products that work with this. maybe in the official thread release- you keep updating the list.

Hahahaha well, that could be part of my dream tbh, I would get as many hair myself as possible to test but since daz said it does not support hair simulation in dforce, I would even be happy if daz is willing to take this frown

If you want to redirect gravity, you could do things like adding a wind node (however wind tends to blow hair straight off the scalp... lol), or you can manual move it by other objects, simply animate an object running into them can change their shape over time wink

And yes, if it makes to release, I will update the hair I have tested to work with the preset! I do believe most hair with scalp can be made to work with the presets to some degree, at least not exploding wink

Diomede said:

First - thanks for this.  Looks intriguing, and I am sure will do very well.

Also, I am curious about the "bad news" cited above.  I have been experimenting with porting some custom dynamic strand-based hair to Studio via a new plugin that converts dynamic strand based hair to a more traditional polygon model.  Really just experimenting right now, but your project could be a great way to make such converted hair far more useful and versatile.  The plugin can affect how thick the poyon strands are.  Dynamic conversions from Carrara could be done with or without a skullcap.  Am I correct that you are saying a skullcap would be preferred?

That actually sounds really cool! Good luck with the experiments! And yes, I believe a skullcap would be prefered!

The main problem with hair on dForce isn't really exploding (which happens everywhere), but hair falling off the scalp when you simulate, like literally you can see strands free falling onto the ground because somehow they broke free from the head. Not a hair expert myself but I do believe scalp with nicely managed hair roots definitely helps simulating hair in dforce, because I believe scalp could keep hair roots from leaving the surface, or it most likely would require manual weight mapping to paint all hair roots to "stablize" so the rest of the hair can move freely, hope that makes sense!

Mithoron said:

You have become the closest thing to a god I have ever seen...I have been dreaming about physics and hair since first opening Daz, so following this with bated breath!  I want to start throwing money at you now!  ;)

Hahahha thank you so much this made me blush! I hope it will meet your expectation wink

Ati said:

This looks very promising!

Thank you for the support! laugh

edited November 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...thanks.

There you go! Been fiddling with it for while. the tail does make it a bit harder to simulate, I had to paint off some areas and I managed to get something out of that laugh

I made the tail length up to maximum and pull it up above the legs and hit simulate, and here it is! (I did expect a bit more hair to be left on the kneel probably didn't position the hair well enough. oops)

(edit: Added a before image so you can see how it is done wink)

OOT's Rochelle Ponytail Test.png
    2000 x 1000 - 2M
    OOT's Rochelle Ponytail Test Before.png
    2000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by EcVh0 on
    EcVh0 said:
    Diomede said:
     it most likely would require manual weight mapping to paint all hair roots to "stablize" so the rest of the hair can move freely, hope that makes sense!

I'm surprised any hair can sim without manual root weight mapping. I didn't think the strand roots of any hair were actually welded to the scalp.

It would be cool if the root verts could be weight mapped automatically based on their proximity to the scalp, but that would probably require a lot of scripting and could easily remove weight from the wrong verts.

• When I can I start throwing my money at you? 

Because this looks very awesome so far.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Definately intrested - looks very promising!

Toonces said:
    EcVh0 said:
    Diomede said:
     it most likely would require manual weight mapping to paint all hair roots to "stablize" so the rest of the hair can move freely, hope that makes sense!

I'm surprised any hair can sim without manual root weight mapping. I didn't think the strand roots of any hair were actually welded to the scalp.

It would be cool if the root verts could be weight mapped automatically based on their proximity to the scalp, but that would probably require a lot of scripting and could easily remove weight from the wrong verts.

Almost no hair can sim without weight mapping in animation, with exception of I believe Voss, Brittney and a few others... But for static pose (when you select "Current Frame" with "Start from memorized pose" off) most can work to a degree. Tho any hair with decorations or tails definitely need weight mapping

I actually asked DAZ if they support weight map migration, but unfortunately they don't frown so have to hand paint or be the absolute samaritan and paint all hair you got and share the node to the public laugh

Finlaena said:

When I can I start throwing my money at you? 

Because this looks very awesome so far.

Thank you so much! I'm still waiting for DAZ's approval so it might take awhile smiley