Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Don't forget, Halloween is a big party!

Edit: A Mad Monster Party

Jessica - Correction - Francesca!

Philemina

Incredible work on your witch, Diomede! She reminds me of the main character from our very popular cartoon "Masha and the Bear".

Post edited by Vyusur on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2017

Thank you, Jonstark, Stezza, Dart, Bunyip, UB, and Vyusur for the comments on my character.

Vyusur - thank you.  Masha is a sensation here as well, although I've only seen her via youtube.  Very inspirational.  But I don't want to be misleading.  The pics of the redhead are Francesca, a character from the Mad Monster Party 60s movie in the top clip.  My character is meant to convey that same claymation / puppetoon style. Two similarities among Masha, Francesca, and my character Philemina are the outsized heads and the big eyes.  

Here is Philemina compared to the Genesis 1 base female.  I wanted more exaggerated toon proportions.  I'm sure it would be more efficient to create a morph for Genesis.

In previous challenges, Carrara artists like Antara and Gareth Davies have always inspired me to look for a different style.  Long way for me to go to develop style, but modeling seems like the easy part.

Entry by Antara

Entry by Gareth Davies

comparison.jpg
    640 x 480 - 28K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Great job, UnifiedBrain!

Just went back through the WIP thread (Edit: to see if anyone was doing the old Hollywood publicity pinups).  Didn't realize that you had done so many updates to the early posts.  Lots of inspiration and context on the pinup genre.  Extremely helpful.  Wish I had gone back through earlier.  yes

+1

Thanks Diomede and Dart!  The Hollywood Halloween pinups are a nice addition there Diomede.yes  I added a link to them at the bottom of the second post on this thread.

Still hoping for more hunk entries.  Wendy, Misty, Silene - where are you guys?smiley   Also hope to see someone emulate the classic Petty-Vargas airbrush style pinup (not an easy task, at least for me).

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    Diomede said:

Edit: A Mad Monster Party

Bravo!!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

did another one today

Rendered in PNG format and then postwork in PSE2018.. lots of layers/blending and repainting in PSE.

Title:

Carrara Chalenge #36 ( original I know )

Dave T done thisWiP.jpg
    798 x 747 - 62K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    head wax said:

after Hans Bellmer once more - post work in Filter Forge and Oloneo HDR. I think Bellmer's idea was to push buttons while at the same time making us feel revolted by his concepts.

This is V$ slightly altered - displacement mapped etc sorry meant V4

Don't know why, but this version is kinda cute.smiley  And very impressive texturing as always.

thanks I think it's the homely face

my second entry, almost ready for a magazine cover

wowwza vavaoom :) great details in this - glad I zoomed in

Stezza said:

did another one today

Rendered in PNG format and then postwork in PSE2018.. lots of layers/blending and repainting in PSE.

Title:

love the fall of the hair

edited October 2017
    Vyusur said:
    Diomede said:

Philemina

dioemede your work is coming along in leaps and bounds

Post edited by Headwax on
    Stezza said:

did another one today

Title:

Kick Ass Arse!!!

did another one today

Title:

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

did another one today

Title:

love the fall of the hair

the hair is from Mec4D .. was a freebie.. dunno if it's still available though. For memory I think they were only there for a week or so and that was a few years ago!

thanks Dart.. I had to do a bit of work on that come to think of it devil

edited October 2017
    Stezza said:

did another one today

Title:

Well, ask and you shall receive, I guess!  Stezza, that is getting pretty close to Petty airbrush style.  Just classic.  Getting those skin tones right makes the difference.  I wish there was an easier way to get there than lots of PSE layers, but whatever the technique, it looks terrific.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Stezza said:

did another one today

Title:

Stezza, you've outdone yourself!  Excellent work, love the style and look of it, the hair and pose is wonderful  :)

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    head wax said:

my second entry, almost ready for a magazine cover

wowwza vavaoom :) great details in this - glad I zoomed in

thanks head wax, too much fun with carrara jointly with D/S

uploaded on my gallery this version: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/455656/

Nice!

Perfect caption Magaremoto, great addition!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

thanx both, hair is not satysfing me, gonna try with Phil's Adrea

anyway I really find difficult to have a workflow faster, easier and with a full range of tools comparable to daz studio/carrara wink

I really find difficult to have a workflow faster, easier and with a full range of tools comparable to daz studio/carrara wink

Me too... even though I gave up trying - for the most part.

For stills especially, dynamic hair in Carrara is killer! It does take a little practice, but I love how quickly we can add hair, say, on a haircap or just on the figure in V4's case, give it a quick brushing to how I think I want it to fall (I'm usually going for really long hair) and then go back into the Assemble room and let it drape. Then I go back into the Hair room and give it a push (thanks to jonstark for this tip) or two, then brush a bit to get it to lay how I want, then work the shader for the final result... the best darned hair in the CG world!

Well just last night/this morning, I've been messing around with Philemo's Hair-to-OBJ tool... !!!! Wow!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use my Carrara machine for these experiments, so I've been locking up my laptop when trying to work the UV Map the way I want/need it, but other than that... I'm completely sold on this tool! yes

I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to get to my Carrara machine and  work more with it in time to put up at least a single submission for this month's challenge - if only to have something in here to show! ;)

edited October 2017

Here is my another attempt which I called «The confusion of feelings». Several filter variations and original render with Octane plugin are included.

Alina_original01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 1M
    Alina_sketcher01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 1M
    Alina_sketcher02.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 1M
    Alina_sketcher03.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 1M
    Alina_sketcher04.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 745K
    2017-10-26_1206.png
    950 x 806 - 405K
    2017-10-26_1208.png
    1017 x 781 - 629K
    Post edited by Vyusur on

Ouch! Amazing Vyusur!!! yes

Ouch!

Vyusur said:

Here is my another attempt which I called «The confusion of feelings». Several filter variations and original render with Octane plugin are included.

wow they look terrific, we'll have Brad Pitt knocking on your door soon

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

A few test renders... can't decide if I like either... at one time it was red, yellow and blue but I thought that might be too much since it blocked out the stars... please help me decide.  TIA

I was wanting a nebula or more in the pic but resizing it to be in background was either still too big or way too small... so I went with a space abnormally or magnetic storm enspired by Star Trek.

When I decide on a which one I'll put Arcadia Rising back on the wing.

SpaceShipCyclone03.png
    720 x 480 - 423K
    SpaceShipCyclone03b.png
    1440 x 960 - 1M
    edited October 2017

I prefer the 2nd one.... and if it were me maybe reduce the bump some more.. choice images though yes

Post edited by Stezza on
    wgdjohn said:

A few test renders... can't decide if I like either... at one time it was red, yellow and blue but I thought that might be too much since it blocked out the stars... please help me decide.  TIA

I was wanting a nebula or more in the pic but resizing it to be in background was either still too big or way too small... so I went with a space abnormally or magnetic storm enspired by Star Trek.

When I decide on a which one I'll put Arcadia Rising back on the wing.

yesp I like the second one too, reducimg the bump will help unless you change that high bump area colour to a rusty bit over the main hull colour?

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2017

Thanks folks... I'd looked for what domain the bump came from the other night... tonight I found the correct 3 domains... they were set to multiply the tmapX100... good grief don't know how I missed it.  The Cyclone is now in ship shape.

Now to put some crew inside.

SpaceShipCyclone03b.png
    1440 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

yes looks much more realistic :)

Ouch! Amazing Vyusur!!! yes

Many thanks Dart!

head wax said:
    Vyusur said:

wow they look terrific, we'll have Brad Pitt knocking on your door soon

Thank you Andrew! Alina already busy with Lukas.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2017

Stezza and Vyusur, I am just blown away.  Fantastic work

Here is a little B&W fun.  This is Michael 5 in too-cool for-monster-hunter-school mode.  Halloween bad boy.  Some GMIC adjustments.

M5 B and W GMIC twice.png
    800 x 1067 - 643K
    Post edited by Diomede on